Stony Brook University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Stony Brook University

Bri

Stony Brook University offers many options for it's students. From observations the food is awesome and the options for allergies are amazing. The student to professer ratio is just enough to not be weird with a couple students but it's also not so many that the students feel ignored.

Nawab Rustum

I still remember the day that i discovered my acceptance into my dream school. I would check everyday if there was any change in my application but what suprised me and ultimately made me ecstatic was that i found out i was accepted the day after my birthday. Couldnt ask for a better present. Love the school.

dena

Stony Brook university has large class sizes for introductory level courses , but as you move into more specialized classes he size decreases so it isn't that much of a problem later on. There will be 8:45pm tests for these large intro courses and it will be a pain, but TA's and the professors are almost always available and ready to help. Food could be better or cheaper at some places, but overall it's pretty great.

Michelle

I think Stony Brook is a very science and engineering "heavy" school. In my opinion, they care most about these programs and in turn put a lot of their resources into these programs. I feel that the arts department is a little bit neglected because of this favoritism and therefore has a less equipped building. I also feel that some of the curriculum is focused mostly on Classical music and doesn't allow for students to explore other genres as in-depth at the Undergraduate level.

Alyssa

Stony Brook is known as a research institution (that basically means that the professors and instructors are hired based on research capabilities and not how well they can actually teach their discipline). Stony Brook has a very diverse student population, and about 25,000 undergraduates are currently enrolled. However, I know many who feel very isolated and depressed despite the large population. SBU is competitive and the grading is tough. Large lecture halls are very impersonal and in my experience, the professor doesn't care who you are or if you show up or not. I've had better experience in smaller classes but most are large lectures. We have recently changed dining providers and the food sucks and is more expensive now so everyone is upset. Stony is becoming a greener campus and has gone smoke-free as of 2016. We've been having issues with transparency of the administration and the police force when there are incidents on campus. Also, our website used for semester enrollment is inaccurate, slow, and altogether stressful. Overall, SBU has a great reputation however I don't necessarily believe that it deserves all the praise it receives.

Alan

Terrible school, completely dead on weekends since a ton of people commute. On campus housing expensive and crappy, off campus housing just as expensive a little better. The girls look terrible, mostly asian's and not the pretty kind (korean) mostly just Chinese girls that have no idea what their doing and wear no make up at all looking like tom boys. The professors suck sine it is mostly a research school professors don't give a rats behind about you since they are tenured. The classes are extremely competitive since a lot of these immigrant students treat this trash can like an ivy league. Binhamton, Buffalo, and Albany blow this school out of the water. Social life is dead since everyone commutes and you can't get anywhere in long island without a car really. the school is ugly and has no architectural identity no defining features just buildings. The only positive thing in this school is the rec center nothing else. I've transferred to one of these 3 schools mentioned earlier and I do not regret my choice at all. best decision ever and there is real diversity not just little china.

Cristina

Stony Brook has its ups and downs, but overall, I really like it here. The ups: great reputation and programs for the sciences, VERY intelligent professors, fantastic research opportunities for undergrads, very diverse, not as expensive as other schools, hundreds of clubs and other ways to get involved. The downs: large class sizes make it hard for your professor to even know your name, the science classes are very rigorous, most dorm buildings are really old, about 50% of the people are pretty anti-social, the food stinks (they really try to make it great but it isn't), you can't get anywhere without a car (the bus system is crazy unreliable). In my experience though, the ups have outweighed the downs, and I'm really happy with my decision.

Ashlie

It is very competitive academically, but they do not take good care of their students. Only certain places have air conditioning, and communication between student and staff isn't that well. The campus food isn't all that great nor is it healthy. It is usually the same thing everyday and you have to grow a liking to "food" constantly seasoned with black pepper for flavor.

Krista

Stony Brook is much better than what people make of it. It is not perfect, and there are things that very badly need fixing, but overall, I think people are too negative about it. The food was a huge problem at the beginning of the semester, for example. They fixed it mostly, but people will not let it go.

Christina

Stony Brook has a diverse campus and there are many resources for students of every race, religion, gender identity and sexual orientation. It is a large campus and some common core science and math course such as general chemistry may have class sizes as large as 500 students. This makes it difficult for new students to connect to classmates and professors. However Stony Brook is aware of this and has resources in place to deal with this issue. Professors and TA's all have regular office hours for each course. There are a wide variety of extracurricular clubs and organizations and many resources to help students with professional development and career readiness.

Thea

I think is both an affordable school and a great university because of how much it has to offer in terms of professor availability, research opportunities, extracurriculars, large alumni network, networking opportunities and student life. I find that a well-rounded experience makes a great University and Stony Brook has all the characteristics needed to help students become successful.

Brittny

The teachers I've had were all very passionate about their respective topics. It's really easy to talk to the professors too; most are willing to stay after class if you have questions or concerns to want to discuss. The dorms are a hit or a miss, but overall are pretty good. There are a lot of people at this school, so it might seem a bit overwhelming at first, but if you go to clubs you can meet people in a smaller setting and make great friends!

Isaiah

Holistically, I think that Stony Brook University has a lot of opportunities for its students that is not always clearly visible to everyone. One thing that students have to do to get connected is either be sociable and network, or join a fraternity or sorority. I personally am not a fan of Greek life considering some of the stigmas are true on campus, but I am not excluded from some of the amazing opportunities available because I communicate with people I believe can help me gain such advances in life.

Melissa

This school has a very misleading reputation, it appears excellent on the outside but it is a facade. The school is poorly manages and is constantly closing down programs leaving students at a loss. The professors are researchers and are top in their field but they are not good instructors or teachers. They lack the patience to teach students to basics in the field that they are masters in. This school needs a lot of reevaluating in order to become the great university it claims to be.

Jasmine

It is a good school for medical, pre-health, engineering, and math students. Many classes are made extremely difficult with professors that do not teach very well. It is a very big research school so this is understandable, but teachers should show some more concern for their students rather than making the exams extremely inconsistent with what is taught. The social scene is what you make of it and join clubs helps and parties help with that.

Kelsey

I've really enjoyed my time at Stony Brook. Despite being a large school, the layout of the campus as well as the first year undergraduate college program makes the campus feel much smaller than it actually is. Stony Brook has some absolutely amazing professors and faculty members, making use of the resources available is the key to success at Stony Brook. The campus can be very unsocial over the weekends but during the week there is always people around. While the students at Stony Brook know how to have fun, everyone is there to work.

Harris

The school is very liberal and tolerant of individuals of all kinds. This makes it have a very welcoming and warm atmosphere. There are plenty of academic resources for students and award-winning faculty that have done tons of good research. People should feel blessed to come here!

Caroline

Stony is an ok school. It has its ups in social life and events if you know where to look but academics can be hard. Intro to biology courses are very difficult and are meant to weed out students. A lot of work for what its worth.

Courtney

Stony Brook is a challenge, not just academically but also socially. As a STEM major, courses are extremely difficult and most of my time is spent studying for never ending midterms, assignments and lab reports. Just when you think you have a day off, you remember that paper you have due on Monday or that third midterm coming up in organic chemistry that you are totally under-prepared for. Schoolwork here will keep you busy and if you fall behind it feels almost impossible to catch up. If you're not on your A game you will drown. At Stony Brook, you must be 100 percent dedicated to your courses if you want to succeed. There is almost no such thing as an easy A unless its BIO 201, in which case you're lucky. With all of your time dedicated to classes, it can become difficult to make friends and feel a sense of belonging on campus. This feeling intensifies when you realize that campus is empty on the weekends as all of the commuters rush home and in state residents escape to their hometowns with friends. Some weekends you will wake up, walk around campus and won't see another living soul other than the occasional campus squirrel. You have to find your people, and find them fast. Take advantage of your roommates if you have them, because they may become your best friends. Go to those dumb events, because other people are probably going too looking for some new people to hang out with. Go to the club fair and attend weekly meetings if you can, and go to the football games even though everyone knows we will lose. You have to put your self out there otherwise this giant campus will make you feel lost and alone.

I grew up near and around Stony Brook University. Since I was younger I would go to their Dental School. Throughout junior high and high school I attended on campus summer programs. It was the place I knew I would always end up at but I had dreams of going away as well. I don't regret my decision of staying. Stony Brook is affordable and a great university. Unfortunately, we've lost funding for some arts and humanities departments which I'm involved with and it's rough to see them go. But I don't hate Stony Brook for it. I wish there were ways to keep these departments as I believe they provide variety to Stony Brook. Overall, Stony Brook is a great place. The "worst" part is my commute and making sure I get to class on time. I study and work at Stony Brook and can honestly say that I'm very happy to be. I would recommend Stony Brook to other students and I hope that this university can keep expanding.

Giselle

Stony Brook University gave me the chance to get to know myself better. I learned to become independent, decide for myself, and become a better person in general. And by that I do not mean Stony Brook taught me to become a better person, but it allowed me to discover who I am. I learned that I had many flaws and that I was not the smartest and best person on earth. There were many people who were not only more intelligent that me, but they knew how to achieve their goals. It was very frustrating at first. I was confused for a year or two. But slowly, I accepted my flaws and learned how to live with them. I did not have to make them disappear, I just had to make them part of me. By junior year, I improved my grades a lot. Not that I had bad grades, but I started receiving even higher grades. Stony Brook is very good at academics. Science courses, especially biology, chemistry, and physics are very difficult. The lecture halls are huge, often with 500 students, therefore, studying for these classes needs a unique technique. One must remember that professors do not even bother to get their students. It is the student's responsibility to get to know the professor. Living on campus was very convenient for me. Thankfully, I never had trouble with my roommates because I am generally an easygoing person. However, from other people's experiences, people who had issues could change their rooms or roommates after each semester. In brief, I enjoyed my 4 years at Stony Brook. I took the classes that I loved with the professors that cared. It was an amazing and remarkable experience for me. I became a great cook, learned how to take care of myself, and most importantly, learned how to get to know other people and make friends.

Adrianne

Awesome! Solid education!

Kareena

Stony Brook University is a very nice school where majority of the students are commuters. We pride ourselves in academics and research.

Morrighan

It's overall a very good school. We are diverse and there are opportunities for everyone to find something they enjoy. Lots of sports and arts extra-curricular activities that are well-funded. The food is very good now, and there are several Starbucks on campus.

ROBERT

99% of my college professeurs, including chemistry, biology - did not have a teaching bone in their body and could give 2 craps less about any student. They are teaching because with a PhD and no real potential to make any money, what can they do but teach. I was told by a neuro biology professeur that I would not be permitted to do research with him because I didn't have have 4.0 average. My calculus class was told on day 1 that 1/3 of the class will fail, 1/3 will get D's and C's, the other 1/3 will have mostly B's with a few A's. What a bunch of incompetent schmucks. Pick a smaller school where the professeurs have an interest and ability to teach and get yourself into a nourishing atmosphere at a better school - NOT a destructive mood, as with StonyBrook.

I already knew that I would be dorming when I found that I got accepted into Stony Brook University. I was excited and nervous before starting my college journey. Fast forward to entering my spring semester as a sophomore, I would make a recommendation to Campus Residences that the size of the beds should be "twin xwide" instead of "twin xlong". I mean, I kind of like having adequate leg space and not have my body on the verge of falling off. Also, I'm currently on no meal plan but I have a good idea of how downgraded our campus dining has become based on the complaints that the study body has voiced. Asides from that, I honestly love my university. I am so glad I reside right on campus, because once I wake up I get ready and head out and start my day. Whether it be the library, lecture room, adviser's office, I'm always doing something that needs to get done, making sure I stay productive and on top of my game. Of course, I wind down which for me is a good nap or watching funny compilation videos on YouTube. Oh, and I really recommend checking out the Recreation Center. It's a pretty neat gym with two floors and enough equipment to get a good workout in between classes. At least we just got our newly renovated pool re-opened in years! The campus community is hyped. I'm just hoping they feel the same towards the campus food, that's if it's going to get better. Things can feel rough at times trying to handle personal and academic responsibilities, but I don't regret my journey as a college student at all. I have to say Stony Brook makes it worthwhile.

Joni

It was very fun experience for me. I can't wait to start my next chapter here in stony brook university!

Ibn-Umar

It's a good school and it's academically challenging. Stony Brook is primarily a research-focused university with a large focus on science, engineering, computer science and healthcare. Yet, there is a wide range of majors for students to select. There are also a lot of activities, clubs and student groups to get involved in. While the campus lacks an open party scene, there are good places to party if you know where to look. However, the surrounding towns are lacking that expected college atmosphere and the weekends are pretty dull. This college does contain numerous opportunities for students to grow and develop themselves professionally.

Leslie

I love Stony Brook University!!! When I was looking at colleges, I did not rank Stony Brook Univerity high on my list, it definitely was not top 3. However, they started the Nursing Scholars program the year I applied and I was accepted into it. Nursing Scholars is a program for freshman where, based on the application, essays, and grades, certain selected freshman where accepted into the very competitive Stony Brook Nursing School. This takes away all the stress of applying to that nursing school and other nursing schools. As long as a GPA of 3.0 is kept over the first two years, when you take the prerequisites and receive a passing grade for the prerequisite classes, then junior year you are automatically admitted into the Nursing Program. It has been an amazing experience to be at Stony Brook University and despite not being originally the place I wanted to attend, I am grateful to be here. I love the campus and the people here, students, teachers, and other faculty and staff. I ride my bike everywhere and I feel safe no matter how late I'm out studying in the library. It has truly been a great place to grow and learn.

Vidya

My opinion of Stony Brook University is that it is a great school academically, especially for students interested in being Pre-Med and STEM fields. Other majors also have good programs and most professors are good, though, like every campus, there are some professors whose classes are more difficult but that adds to the challenges Stony Brook encourages students to attempt and succeed in.

Anna

I feel Stony Brook is a decent university to attend because it is a large campus with lots of events going on everyday and the academics are good in the STEM fields. The campus is open, but it is fairly easy to find your group of people in a campus with tens of thousands of students, including both undergraduates and graduates. I do, however, wish that Stony Brook had a better Business program for those like me who want to major in Business. Additionally, the food here is probably the worst because they raise health concerns, especially when there was glass found in food. Other than that, people are welcoming and even though I've only settled in merely a few months ago as a graduating high school senior, I have begun to call this place, home.

Olivia

Stony Brook is definitely the place to come if you are a serious science student who wants minimal distractions and is willing to work extremely hard in order to be at the top of your class; this will not come easily. However, there are also plenty of groups to join and activities in which to participate on campus. The overall culture of the school is a bit detached, as everyone is busy studying, but there is also some fun to be had.

Bridget

Stony Brook is a great place to diversify yourself. I'd say the best aspect of the university, besides the academics, would definitely be campus culture. There are so many different clubs and activities you can really immerse yourself and find a passion for. You can come into college a little unsure and shaky on the person you are, but with the aid of Stony Brook's countless number of extracurriculars, you'll undoubtedly discover something you love and in turn, discover yourself.

Joanne

I am currently a campus visitor of Stony Brook University. I have committed to attending this school in Fall 2018. I greatly believe that Stony Brook provides a variety of academics and activities for their students. This school hold many opportunities for success. Teachers and faculties are helpful and aid students in whatever ways needed. It is a great community that will shape the minds of the future.

Teren

At first glance, I was able to feel the great vibe from this astounding university. It may be soon to say but, I will have a great time learning with intellectuals that far surpass the ordinary and hanging out with new friends. The school is welcoming to the freshmen including myself and I want to continue that. Clubs are willing to text potential new members before the academic year and there are no excuses to not join. If anyone from the New York area who wants to experience great education and club involvement, join SBU Seawolves.

Claudia

Stony Brook University is a STEM-based university with many rigorous classes that truly challenge students. However, there are also amazing connections to be made on this campus, which helps students build up their future through research opportunities, internships, os part time jobs.

Nazmeen

In my opinion, academic-wise, the school is definitely living up the expectations that I originally had. The only issue I have at the moment is that the food is not very good. After the food provider was changed, the food became unliked by all the students. The student body put in multiple complaints and currently the school is looking to fix that issue.

Adrian

SBU is an extremely balanced school. About half of the undergraduate students commute, and many stay on campus. SBU pushes students to bring out the best of their potential into their academics, and most, if not all, clubs and organizations are very welcoming/inclusive. When watching other students, I can see many of their priorities are a balance of partying/relaxing and school work. All in all, SBU pushes students to their limits and makes sure you receive the education you long for.

Claudia

Upon entering this school you'll hear a lot of positive reviews: great professors, campus full of greenery, very affordable and so forth. And though these reviews aren't completely off, your opinion of Stony Brook depends on the concentration you come in with. Pre-med and mathematics majors see real opportunity as the medical program is highly respected here. Humanities? Not so much. For the fall semester of 2016 I was registered into an intermediate writing course. I must have put 20 hours into my first paper, expected to be graded like an intermediate writer; after peer reviewing a few papers I realized an overwhelming majority of the class doesn't even know what a thesis statement is--go figure. The professor however, and all my other professors alike, are some of the most down-to-earth and compassionate people you will ever meet. They not only invite you to office hours, but also welcome you with a reassuring smile--yes, you're in the right place. Professors here can easily weed students who are gifted and push them beyond the curriculum, though their investment in each student is equal. Humanities classes, fortunately, are small, not exceeding 30 students. Science and math lecture halls average 200 students. The campus is beautiful around summertime and fall. During the warmer days of October, I would lend out one of Stony Brook bikes (first hour students can ride free) and just ride around reveling in the tall trees and winding roads. Looking out my dorm window, I am appreciative of the clear blue sky and the way which the tall trees cut the clouds. Dorms are like anywhere else: you get a bed, desk and closet, maybe AC if you're lucky; truthfully if you're spending most of your time in your room you're probably missing out. Food is not so good, but Stony Brook has been responsive to students' complaints and is constantly working at improvement. Parties are scarce, yet those who seek will find. The campus police are friendly; there is little reason to feel unsafe here. The school is a little isolated but that just means the people who are on campus have business being here. Ultimately, like with any college, your experience is what you make of it. Take the reins on your own education.

Elle

I think that Stony Brook is a school with good academics and not-so-good food. The people are down to earth and willing to network. The professors are generally dedicated to their students. It is easy to get involved in research and extracurriculars.

Dora

I believe Stony Brook University may be the best cost efficient school. By that I mean, you can get a decent education and degree and it isn’t as expensive. The campus is pretty nice. Because it is mostly a commuter school it does clear out on the weekends. I don’t mind the quiet but that also makes the social life of Stony Brook not great. It’s still easy to find friends and have fun but there’s not a big party scene. There’s a great recreationally sports culture if you’re into that. The administration has been pretty helpful as far as I’ve interacted with them. Some classes/professors are harder than others for different reasons.

Kenechukwu

It does have things it could do better, but for the most part, it is a very good university. The campus is beautiful and the care to keep it as such is very evident. The rooms and residential colleges are clean and generally not too secluded from other facilities.

Kyle

Overall this is a wonderful school which really goes out of their way to make student life great. As a large university with a lot of students they know that it's easy for the school to swallow you while and spit you out. They really try to make events on campus fun and destressing they have pet therapy dogs come in during midterms and finals meditations groups and music playing occasionally. It's a great school that takes pride in the students that make it out of the school just be sure to utilize the services they offer like the tutoring center and you'll be a fine. The philosophy at stony brook is a flagship Ivy League education at a fraction of the cost so they're going to give you research level work. Be prepared.

S

Most of the students entering Stony Brook come with the intention of a premed track. It is a good state school if you are wishing to save money for graduate school. It is very competitive but the staff are well qualified and have even won national recognition.

DanaRenee

Stony Brook University is a great school when it comes to academics. There are excellent professors and advisors. I feel like the mental health of the students attending should be a higher priority than it is currently. So many students fall away and do not reach their full potential due to the pressure that this college creates.

Tehreem

Stony Brook is an exceptional University for STEM majors but, as a business student, there isn't much focus on business at Stony Brook. I would recommend anyone in science or math related fields to enroll but for business students, I would recommend a school which is better known for business.

Perneet

Stony Brook is a SUNY school. Stony Brook, in my opinion, is a somewhat competitive school to get into as the acceptance rate is around 40%. It has a very nice campus. Stony Brook University is a great university as far as academics. It's a very STEM-oriented school, where most of the students are biology majors/on the pre-med track. It is a very diverse university and there are many international students, mostly from China, India, and Korea. In-state tuition is very cheap, however, out-of-state will cost you a good buck. Like any school, there are downsides. One of them is that it is practically in the middle of nowhere. I find it very hard to go off campus, but there are buses that take you to Smith Haven Mall and buses on Sundays take you to Target, Stop&Shop, and Walmart. Overall, I would recommend Stony Brook!

Jen

Overall I liked my time at Stony Brook. I thought the campus offered many ways to get involved and/or join clubs and meet people. Though I can't say all of them were that welcoming or there were cliche in some of the social clubs. Academics could be improved with smaller classroom lectures and class participation. I studied psychology and don't remember much of what I have studied because it was mostly memorizing information instead of critical thinking. I remember having one professor who read from her slides and notes, and you just copied word for word of what she said to pass. I am disappointed in the career center. I had interned there and was made to feel at the end of the internship by some of the career staff (won't name names) that I had some type of learning disability and that I was best not suited for a career in career counseling. I must admit that I was not the faster learner and when it came to the other interns, I was slow at things. Fast forward a couple of years, I am glad that I did NOT let what they have said affect me or take it seriously or I would have not pursue a career in career counseling. Right now, I am working as a career counselor and happy with the career path I have chosen. I hope the career center have improved since the time I have been there and are more encouraging of students of their career goals and dreams.

Oscar

Stony Brook has an excellent academics reputation. The classes are extremely tough but that is because there is a lot of competition between students. The professors are, for the most part and to my knowledge, incredibly supportive and know what they are talking about. I commute to school so I only know about on campus housing from friends. The food could be better but I'm there for the academics.

Tiffany

Stony Brook is probably one of New York State's best public universities. It is usually very affordable for in-state students. The academics, especially the sciences, are on par with renowned private universities. So course, there are some complaints I have regarding campus lifestyle but after all it is located in suburban Long Island. After a while, you will become accustomed; if not the LIRR can take you to NYC relatively fast.