Selden, NY
Suffolk County Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Suffolk County Community College

April

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to trust my intuition, to not be afraid to dream big and take risks, to keep an open mind, and to be sure that whatever I do doesn't end up causing me or anyone else any big difficulties. I would also remind myself that life doesn't follow any set pattern, and I shouldn't be upset if the path leading to my goals isn't as straight and I thought it would be. I didn't always trust my intuition and, as a result, I ended up choosing "safe" majors that didn't make me happy, and caused me to switch my major several times. After I realized that I should do what makes me happy, and not what's "safe", I ended up taking a few risks that put myself in a tight spot financially, thus causing me to temporarily leave school, but now I realize that it takes both risk-taking and careful planning to accomplish goals. If I'd known all this in high school, who knows where I'd be today?

Kathryn

Since Suffolk is only a Community College, I am not able to get the "college experience" of being out on my own and living in a dorm away from my family. That I feel is a great opportunity for people to grow up and get a feel as to what it will be like on their own in the real world.

I think this school is great for those who want to stay at home and save money on their first two years of school. That is a very smart idea. Also, someone who may not know what they want to go to school for should come here for the same reason of saving money and getting their acts together to figure out what they want to do.

If i were given the opportunity to go back in time and give myself a bit of a heads up as to what I have learned from my last two years in college, I would have said that I was not ready to go away to school. I would have told myself that I should start out at Suffolk Community College and not let the issues around me affect my grades therefore wasting a lot of money. Being at home would have been the smartest thing to do, and slowly work on everything (school and personal issues) instead of running as far from home and acting as if I could handle anything. I couldn't, and since I didn't, I wasted so much money to only mess up in the end. Which wasn't fair to my parents. Staying home and saving money and getting my life back on track would have been the best thing to do. That is why if I were to give myself advice I would have told myself to go to Suffolk Community College for my first two years and get my Associates Degree before going away to school.

Michelle

Looking back into my high school career, I would tell myself that the path I chose was the right course. I prepared myself well in all of my academic courses during my high school years. I took Regent courses to graduate with a Regent's diploma. The one thing I felt that only experience could give myself was taking action about learning about people and the world as a whole. I was confined within the walls of an average high school for 4 years and my worldly experience was limited. When I began going to Suffolk Community, I realized that the majority of the students were from various parts of the world blending into the Americanization of our country. I began to learn about the different cultures and only wished that I had this experience in high school. Another aspect I would consider conferencing myself would be to engage in sports or the arts. Many opportunities are available for scholarship and I was not confident enough to participate. After attending college, my confidence has increased and I have become more social and participate in college events whenever deemed possible.

Suffolk Community College is a unique school because it has many select and diverse programs that allow you to transfer to a 4-year college upon complete of a 2-year degree. The professors and staff are dedicated to help students and parents achieve optimal success.

All people can attend Suffolk Community College. However, if a student is not serious about their education and becoming an active contributing member of society, I would suggest a trade school or become active in the military. Suffolk Community College offers diverse programs and a dedicated staff who expect their students to commit themselves.

Joshua

Well after an unusual first year of school which included changes in my major, school, and complete out look on life. I experienced so many things that I would tell myself as a high school senior. The first thing I would discuss is the choosing of a major. I would tell myself that choosing a major is a mistake and that I'm to young to decide what I want to do the rest of my life and to try several courses in different fields and decide that way. I would also advise against joining a fraternity as a freshman. Joining a fraternity is a lot of work and it really is too much to handle when trying to acclimate to your new surroundings. I would tell myself not to go to a school that is too far away. I would tell myself to stop being egotistical and go to community college first and let myself mature a little more so that when I go away to school I will already be more mature then most incomming students. Finally, get a job during the school year because it helps you manage time and a little extra money could never hurt.

What is unique about SCCC is that it is a two year school and that it is very close to my home. Every school I looked at before going to Suffolk was far away and would require me to leave my home and live there. I originally decidided on a school far away from my home but after a couple of semesters there I realized it wasn't for me. I then went to SCCC since I could get into it on such short notice and it really helped me get my education back on track.

The best thing About SCCC is its professors and class sizes which have been much better than the ones I had back at the first school I went to. The professors here are more like teachers while at my old school they were doing research and teaching on the side and most of them just sent teacher's assistants to teach classes which was frustrating since they couldn't answer so many questions that the professor could. Also the class sizes at the first school were massive while at SCCC they are like a standard class room.

Linda

I would look at myself in the mirror and say the following: Concentrate more on education not men. There will be time for love, family and so on after you have received your degree and know that you will be doing the right thing because an education is what will make things easier financially in the future. You are a strong independant woman and need to concentrate on survival because you know that you have had a hard life and nothing comes easy, so that boy can just hold off and you can have them after your education is completed..

DeAnna

If you do not know what you want to be or are scared of the so called "college life," Suffolk County Community College is the ideal college for you. Its small classroom size helps you feel like you are in high school but the curriculum is tough, which makes you realize you are in fact in college. The students are friendly and make you feel comfortable in about being in college and maybe even moving on to a four-year college.

The most frustrating thing about Suffolk County Community College is that this school does not have dorms. This means you have to commute everyday to school. The commute is not that bad unless there is traffic, which can change the commute from being 15 minutes from my town to 45 minutes. You never really know what time you are actually going to get to your class.

As a high school student, I always doubted my intelligence and was always scared of change. I was never into extracurricular activities and was, in the simplest terms, an "outsider." When I thought about college and going away to school, I never thought I would be able to do it. I thought to myself, "You do not have any friends here, how could you make friends somewhere else." I am pretty sure this is why I ended up going to Suffolk County Community College. Although I do not regret my two wonderful years at this amazing community college, if I could going back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to go away to college. I would make sure my young self would know that she in fact had enough loyal friends, which is better than having a vast amount. I would also let her know that she was not stupid but in fact smart enough to get into the Honors College in Suffolk County Community College and that change, although scary, is never a bad thing.

Keri

If I were able to go back in time to my senior year of high school I?d advise myself differently on many decisions I?ve made mainly because of the knowledge I have today. I would have taken back all the times I chose to go out with my friends over studying for upcoming tests. Saving my homework for the 5 minute break in between classes and doing projects the night before being due would all be taken back. Caring more about my school work and getting good grades would have been more important then caring about other people?s opinions. Realizing all the people I thought were my friends would turn there back at the first chance they were given and realizing the best thing you could have is your family is something I wish I would have realized. High school was always full of drama making people miss the important things in their lives. The past few years have been a major reality check. If I could advise myself to have studied for all the tests I winged and did all the homework I left undone maybe I would have found school and life much easier.

Overall Suffolk Community College is an excellent 2 year school. Starting off at a community school such as Suffolk is an easier transition from high school to college. However the parking at Suffolk is always hectic. Preparing yourself to search for a spot at least a half hour before your class to allow you to be on time is necessary on the Selden campus. Not only is it a hassle to find a spot but the student parking lots are much further from the classroom buildings which on a cold rainy day is always frustrating.

Suffolk Community College is an accumulation of different kinds of people.

Christina

The most important thing I have learned during my college experience that I wish I had known when I was a high school senior is that every mistake made and learned from, makes you stronger. Throughout high school when I did poorly on an assignment, I lost all hope in succeeding through the class. Teacher's at times make you feel as though one bad grade can change everything; In college I have come to learn that a bad grade earned and learned from is admired by the professor. Hard work, determination and learning from your mistakes is key on the road of success. The most important thing to remember is to stay confident. If you believe in yourself, you can become anything you dream of.

My school is the a place where diversity is key in bringing about well-rounded, successful individuals.

Julia

Depending on the professor, some can be loud and rude and some can be very good students.

Small classrooms help students get to know each other and get to know their professors.

If I could go back, then I would still apply to the community college I'm in now. The only advice I would give myself is to take more classes and start thinking about where I'm going to transfer ahead of time.

LUIS

After graduating high school I went to a 4 year college. I did not want to take out loans so I was working three jobs while attending school full time. But I was wearing myself out so I decided to join the Navy. I remember that during that one year of college before the Navy I was afraid of a lot of things. What if it's too difficult? What if I don't make any friends? etc. After serving in the military and reading some good books when I went back to school last year I was a different person. If I could talk to myself as a HS senior this is what I would say: 1DON'T be afraid to fail. I'm not saying be lazy and fail and it's okay. I'm saying that if you work hard and still is not good enough, just keep trying. Don't panic and don't give up. 2DON'T be afraid to talk to other people. Most people wish they had more friends but THEY are afraid to talk to others also. 3Write down your goals and get good at managing your time. 4Have lots of Fun.

The student body is very diverse. Not only ethnically, but also in their ages, professional backgrounds, personal interests, points of view, etc.

This is a great school for anybody. - whether you or your parents have plenty of money to pay for school or you are still not sure how you'll pay for tuition. Great for new HS grads, veterans, returning moms, full time workers looking to change or improve their careers. Also great for people who are not sure if they really want to do 4 years of college. They could take a few classes and see how they like it. Perfect 2 year school if you like Long Island, New York.

Suffolk County Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.