Selden, NY
Suffolk County Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Suffolk County Community College

Julia

Depending on the professor, some can be loud and rude and some can be very good students.

Small classrooms help students get to know each other and get to know their professors.

If I could go back, then I would still apply to the community college I'm in now. The only advice I would give myself is to take more classes and start thinking about where I'm going to transfer ahead of time.

LUIS

The student body is very diverse. Not only ethnically, but also in their ages, professional backgrounds, personal interests, points of view, etc.

After graduating high school I went to a 4 year college. I did not want to take out loans so I was working three jobs while attending school full time. But I was wearing myself out so I decided to join the Navy. I remember that during that one year of college before the Navy I was afraid of a lot of things. What if it's too difficult? What if I don't make any friends? etc. After serving in the military and reading some good books when I went back to school last year I was a different person. If I could talk to myself as a HS senior this is what I would say: 1DON'T be afraid to fail. I'm not saying be lazy and fail and it's okay. I'm saying that if you work hard and still is not good enough, just keep trying. Don't panic and don't give up. 2DON'T be afraid to talk to other people. Most people wish they had more friends but THEY are afraid to talk to others also. 3Write down your goals and get good at managing your time. 4Have lots of Fun.

This is a great school for anybody. - whether you or your parents have plenty of money to pay for school or you are still not sure how you'll pay for tuition. Great for new HS grads, veterans, returning moms, full time workers looking to change or improve their careers. Also great for people who are not sure if they really want to do 4 years of college. They could take a few classes and see how they like it. Perfect 2 year school if you like Long Island, New York.

Rhiannon

The main goal of the proffessors is to provide the students, many who work full time as well as attend class, with the necessary course material in the most time efficient way.

I would tell myself that education is one of the most important investments. College is not a fashion show, a popularity contest, a time to catch up with friends about the latest gossip as high school often is, it's a time to focus on yourself and make the most of every opportunity. I would tell myself that there is no need to feel self conscience or have self doubt. Everyone is there for the same reason; to further their education and insure a successfull future. Building relationships with others who have the same goals can be the source of much needed support. Even when the work load seems a bit unbearable, completing it brings unmatched satisfaction. Be strong, you'll get through it.

I wish that I would have known more about the online classes that this school offers. I would have also liked to have known about the activites and services available to students.

It greatly surpasses common expectations.

It greatly surpasses common expectations.

If i had the opportunity to go back and discuss college life with myself, I would begin by reassuring myself that it is a wonderful place. The transition could have been made much more seamlessly had I not anticipated a negative experience. I would tell myself that there's no need to worry, Suffolk Community College is not "thirteenth grade" and not a place solely for those who were unable to be accepted to any "real" colleges. You will be surrounded by people of superior intelligence, something that will help you thrive greatly and be a pleasent challenge. The school offers many extracurricular activities and clubs that will hold your interest throughout the entire semster. There is no need to be discouraged, beginning college is not a complicated process and continuing it is even less so. As long as you're willing to do your work and continue to be hungry for knowledge, college will offer you the world and more.

It offers much more than expected. The staff is excellent and the facilities are wonderful. The professors really want to help you reach your full potential and treat it like the real college environment that it is, not like a continuation of high school.

Natalie

Having the opportunity to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take high school more seriously. I would tell my self " Come on, what is the difference of 20 minutes more sleep, just get up and go to class!" I would tell myself to try harder, that high school really does matter and that college is a lot more difficult and more serious than high school. I would tell myself that professors don't stay on you about slacking in college and that if you decide to just not go to class, the teacher doesn't mind failing you. I would remind myself that education is important to be successful and tell myself to appreciate the opportunity to receive an education at all. The transition to college is hard, and its even harder when you don't prepare yourself enough in high school. I learned that the hard way. In high school, I didn't care much about my grades, but now as I am maturing, college is helping me to be more responsible, helping me respect my education and to really care about my grades and my future!

I think any kind of person should attend my school. People in my area joke around calling Suffolk Community College " Scruffolk" or the "13th Grade" but that is a complete underestimation. I love Suffolk and I think it is a great school for anyone, especially students like myself who did not do as well in high school as they should have and need an opportunity to get their grades up while learning and experiencing college close to home.

The most frustrating thing about my school would probably be the lack of parking. It is a community college, so all of the students commute. As enrollment in community colleges is on the rise, I think that should prompt the college to create more parking for the larger amount of students. There are some days when I leave my house an hour in advance for a 20 minute ride to school, because if I don't , I may not be able to find a parking spot and potentially miss or be late to class.

Danae

My advice would be to not give up. Just keep going! It's taken me way too long to actually try and complete my associates degree. It is absolutely worth it!

This school really is for anyone. I started quite a few years ago and never finished. 4 years later at 27 years old, I'm trying to complete my associates degree.

To me a community college seems like 13th grade, so there are just alot of immature students that attend.

Danielle

An affordable and first rate school that gives knowledge that will last.

An affordable and first rate school that gives knowledge that will last.

My advice would be that eventually I would have to drive and that commuting to school isn't that bad. I shouldn't have erased Suffolk from my mind because then I wouldn't of had to transfer after just one semester. Going away to school isn't what you think and that even though I needed to make a decision as soon as possible. It was a mistake to make my decision without truly thinking about everything. When deciding on a school you got to keep everything in mind and I didn't. I guess I would definitely have to tell myself to think since I know myself better than anyone else. I can't let anyone else opinion get in the way and I got to be happy in the end.

I wish I knew how much I'd enjoy attending school at Suffolk. I transferred out of a previous college to attend Suffolk. I am doing so much better than I was at the other school. It has been a great school to me. I have no complaints and will be graduating shortly. Of course the price of attending Suffolk is cheaper. I feel that I obtain more knowledge than I would if I went anywhere else. I wish Suffolk was my first choice so I didn't have to transfer so soon in my college years.

Christina

My classmates were eager to fit in.

My classmates were eager to fit in.

Christina, all I want you to do is prioritize on the real things that will get you somewhere. Focusing on love and other things will not help but only hinder. There are a few things that are key and if you follow these rules 1) Stay organized, organization is crucial to suceeding. Organizing simplifies your life, and simplifies tasks. 2) Be prepared. Do everything early. Being prepared beats out the lazy people, and people who dont care. You are on top when early. 3) Listen in class. If you dont everything else preceding that (homework, following classes, tests) will severly be effected. Listen carefully. It is more important then studying. You wont have to study as much if you listen. 4) Put your heart into it. This is your life, your career. You put you blood, sweat and tears in it. 5) NETWORK AND GET EXPERIENCES FROM OUTSIDE OF COLLEGE. It gives you more then you think...... Yourself a year later. (p.s. clean out your stinky gym locker...ew)

I wish I had known how much networking, reading in between the lines, and experience/internships are more important then acuatly going to college. Its the in between effort, its the luck, hope and faith in succeeding. Now im off to a late start in hunting my career down.

Bryan

My community college in my eyes, is an institution that holds a mixture of individuals whom are all attending the school for diverse reasons but share a similar soul purpose, like a pair of monozygotic twins traveling through life on different paths but holding the same heart.

Looking into my own juvenile eyes like a window painting a long, winding road with head-strong trees shadowing its path, an entire years worth of frustration begins to beat within my mental walls. The idea of completely voiding the idea of applying for any scholarships now bewilders me but then my young genius of a mind overlooked the potential free money due to the extracurricular work. Then comes the unfortunate lack of enthusiasm I held within my freshman and sophomore year, which would display in my high school records even after my change of mind set as my high school career reached its upper class levels. As I grasped my shoulder tightly to hold my own attention, I begin to pour out all these obstacles of emotion I have now faced and plead for on open ear to alter my future. Getting more involved in high school clubs or maybe even sports, treating the educational system appropriately to gain everything I possible could, or maybe just thinking larger then my own shallow thoughts. How life now would be so much easier on a vast level and perhaps I could even be attending a prestigious school this very moment.

This institution is ideal for the individual whom is uncertain of their according major, but still desires to receive further education and obtain a solid step forward into achieving a reason of study.

Tiffany

The classmates are pretty good. Most of them are eager to learn and friendly. I have have made a lot of good friends since i have started at this campus and it definately helps move the days and classes along.

If i had the chance to prep myself as a high school student for college i would definately tell myself to create a budget for myself to help save for college. Being that it is very expensive. I definately under estimated how much everything cost when i was in high school. I would also urge myself to study a little harder and take a little bit more of an iniative in math. Because if i would have taken the time out than to understand math better than maybe i wouldnt be struggling with it now. Because it is definately a lot harder now. It is true what they say, high school is definately preparing you for your college years and life after that. With out that prep from devoted teachers i would be lost. I would urge myself not to take it for granted, because i did.

The most frustrating thing about suffolk county community college is the parking situation. The school is so over populated and there is not enough parking spaces for all the students. you have to either be there bright and early in the morning or an hour before your class starts. And if you have a break between classes, you can forget leaving on your break, unless of course you enjoy waiting in traffic and fighting for parking spots.

Suffolk County Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.