Suffolk County Community College

« See more reviews of Suffolk County Community College

Looking into my own juvenile eyes like a window painting a long, winding road with head-strong trees shadowing its path, an entire years worth of frustration begins to beat within my mental walls. The idea of completely voiding the idea of applying for any scholarships now bewilders me but then my young genius of a mind overlooked the potential free money due to the extracurricular work. Then comes the unfortunate lack of enthusiasm I held within my freshman and sophomore year, which would display in my high school records even after my change of mind set as my high school career reached its upper class levels. As I grasped my shoulder tightly to hold my own attention, I begin to pour out all these obstacles of emotion I have now faced and plead for on open ear to alter my future. Getting more involved in high school clubs or maybe even sports, treating the educational system appropriately to gain everything I possible could, or maybe just thinking larger then my own shallow thoughts. How life now would be so much easier on a vast level and perhaps I could even be attending a prestigious school this very moment.

Looking back into my high school career, I would tell myself that the path I chose was the right course. I prepared myself well in all of my academic courses during my high school years. I took Regent courses to graduate with a Regent's diploma. The one thing I felt that only experience could give myself was taking action about learning about people and the world as a whole. I was confined within the walls of an average high school for 4 years and my worldly experience was limited. When I began going to Suffolk Community, I realized that the majority of the students were from various parts of the world blending into the Americanization of our country. I began to learn about the different cultures and only wished that I had this experience in high school. Another aspect I would consider conferencing myself would be to engage in sports or the arts. Many opportunities are available for scholarship and I was not confident enough to participate. After attending college, my confidence has increased and I have become more social and participate in college events whenever deemed possible.

If I had the opportunity to go back and give myself a few words of advice in my senior year, I would say to myself...."work to your highest ability....give it all you have....go over and above and don't settle for handing in work that is merely just enough to get by!" Overall, I wish I worked much harder to keep my GPA higher all through high school. I really didn't take into consideration the astronomical prices of attending college. Maybe the reality of those costs were too difficult to comprehend for a young guy who had never been out on his own. If only I knew that even a few grade points higher might have made a difference in how much scholarship money I would be offered. This reality and truth has awakened my whole perspective on how seriously a high school student should take each and every assignment. This year, in my first year of college college tuition fees have become my reality. I want to transfer to a school in Nashville Tennesee to major in Music Buisiness to get my four year degree. Hopefully this scholership will help me achieve my goal!

If I were able to go back in time to my senior year of high school I?d advise myself differently on many decisions I?ve made mainly because of the knowledge I have today. I would have taken back all the times I chose to go out with my friends over studying for upcoming tests. Saving my homework for the 5 minute break in between classes and doing projects the night before being due would all be taken back. Caring more about my school work and getting good grades would have been more important then caring about other people?s opinions. Realizing all the people I thought were my friends would turn there back at the first chance they were given and realizing the best thing you could have is your family is something I wish I would have realized. High school was always full of drama making people miss the important things in their lives. The past few years have been a major reality check. If I could advise myself to have studied for all the tests I winged and did all the homework I left undone maybe I would have found school and life much easier.

Having the opportunity to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take high school more seriously. I would tell my self " Come on, what is the difference of 20 minutes more sleep, just get up and go to class!" I would tell myself to try harder, that high school really does matter and that college is a lot more difficult and more serious than high school. I would tell myself that professors don't stay on you about slacking in college and that if you decide to just not go to class, the teacher doesn't mind failing you. I would remind myself that education is important to be successful and tell myself to appreciate the opportunity to receive an education at all. The transition to college is hard, and its even harder when you don't prepare yourself enough in high school. I learned that the hard way. In high school, I didn't care much about my grades, but now as I am maturing, college is helping me to be more responsible, helping me respect my education and to really care about my grades and my future!

The one piece of advice that I really wish that I could have given myself was to get my mind in gear and choose a major before the start of college, this way I wouldn't have to take two full semesters and one winter semester of Liberal Arts & General Studies due to the fact that I had no idea of what I wanted to do when I registered for college. Between the loss of my father and getting so many offers to different colleges in a vast amount of states across the country, and with no ideas as to what I wanted to do after High School, I was a bit stressed and therefore lost as to what I wanted to persue later in life. I am glad that I chose the automotive field to base my college studies in because I love my classes, my teachers, and the overall family atmosphere of the staff and the students within the program, as well as the fact that what I am learning now can be applied to everday life. Without transportation, the world wouldnt function, and my future will be a key element in making sure the world funtions efficiently.

Well after an unusual first year of school which included changes in my major, school, and complete out look on life. I experienced so many things that I would tell myself as a high school senior. The first thing I would discuss is the choosing of a major. I would tell myself that choosing a major is a mistake and that I'm to young to decide what I want to do the rest of my life and to try several courses in different fields and decide that way. I would also advise against joining a fraternity as a freshman. Joining a fraternity is a lot of work and it really is too much to handle when trying to acclimate to your new surroundings. I would tell myself not to go to a school that is too far away. I would tell myself to stop being egotistical and go to community college first and let myself mature a little more so that when I go away to school I will already be more mature then most incomming students. Finally, get a job during the school year because it helps you manage time and a little extra money could never hurt.

I would tell myself that it's okay to make mistakes, as long as you learn and progress as a better person inside and out of school and other activities. It's good to communicate with teachers and other students around you, just don't forget what your goal is at the end of the day. You can do everything you want, just stay focused, create a routine, and follow it. Simple. If you ever get off track, just remember that you can always keep going in the direction you were headed, don't let small things stop you from achieving greatness or fufilling your dreams. Things happen that will be out of your control, but it is up to you to choose how to handle every situation and decide what you will do to get yourself to the place you were initially headed. Sometimes you don't win and thats perfectly fine, but as long as you tried thats what truly metters, because you will be happy that you atleast didnt let the oppertunity slip away. You will always come out a champion if you believe in yourself.

As a high school student, I always doubted my intelligence and was always scared of change. I was never into extracurricular activities and was, in the simplest terms, an "outsider." When I thought about college and going away to school, I never thought I would be able to do it. I thought to myself, "You do not have any friends here, how could you make friends somewhere else." I am pretty sure this is why I ended up going to Suffolk County Community College. Although I do not regret my two wonderful years at this amazing community college, if I could going back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to go away to college. I would make sure my young self would know that she in fact had enough loyal friends, which is better than having a vast amount. I would also let her know that she was not stupid but in fact smart enough to get into the Honors College in Suffolk County Community College and that change, although scary, is never a bad thing.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to trust my intuition, to not be afraid to dream big and take risks, to keep an open mind, and to be sure that whatever I do doesn't end up causing me or anyone else any big difficulties. I would also remind myself that life doesn't follow any set pattern, and I shouldn't be upset if the path leading to my goals isn't as straight and I thought it would be. I didn't always trust my intuition and, as a result, I ended up choosing "safe" majors that didn't make me happy, and caused me to switch my major several times. After I realized that I should do what makes me happy, and not what's "safe", I ended up taking a few risks that put myself in a tight spot financially, thus causing me to temporarily leave school, but now I realize that it takes both risk-taking and careful planning to accomplish goals. If I'd known all this in high school, who knows where I'd be today?