Suffolk County Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Suffolk County Community College

Tatiana

Suffolk Is an amazing school. When I first started I was a little scared and worried for what was coming. I was scared of getting lost, being late, etc. Suffolk made me feel comfortable. Your ideas are expressed freely with no judgement at all. Suffolk makes me feel safe and wanted.

sarah

It was a nice school, it’s a great way to get a start in your major and take the correct steps towards your future. Suffolk community college is an affordable easy access way to figure out what you want to do and what steps are needed to fulfill all your general need and succeed.

Abigail

I think it is a great college, I have had great professors this first semester, the campus is clean and safe. The class sizes are really good, they allow for greater communication with your professor which is important. There are many clubs to join and they allow you to get involved on campus. As for academics they are solid, my brother graduated from here and transferred to a university so far he has been doing well. The classes are hard work as they should be. Overall great experience so far.

Suffolk is a regular community college. Kids are there to take classes and leave. Most classes are not intelectually challenging. Most students are high which makes sense because the classes are so boring. Some professors try their best others don't care.

Kristen

I have attended Suffolk County Community College both full-time and part-time for the past 5 years. This is my last semester attending and I have found the experience to be overall extremely positive. There are people that call SCCC “thirteenth grade,” but it’s actually the best opportunity someone has to experience college before transferring to a 4 year college. Most of the professors I have had are helpful, and I still have a few I still talk to today. Many of them are adjuncts, so they do not have offices, but they are always willing to stay after class, or meet beforehand. The campus I go to is in Selden, which is the main campus. I haven never been to the others on the island, but I have heard from classmates they are all pleasant to be on. There was an influx of students from the recent closing of another college on long island, which has decreased the amount of seats available to those who want to take their education seriously. It is a community college, so many students are accepted when they do not have the best grades. This could been seen as a bad thing, but I was a student who did not take college seriously when I got out of high school. I think Suffolk gives some hope to those who do not think they can make much of themselves. The class schedules are usually made available at many times where a student can make their schedule and still have time to work or have a social life. Staff is usually helpful since many of them are students themselves. During winter months, the custodial staff is always on call and will always clear the roads and sidewalks for students. As much as some people think it’s just another community college, it’s one of the best places to start your education.

Anne

It is a great school. The classes are small and the professors are always willing to help. The Brentwood campus is gorgeous and the buildings are kept clean. Plenty of clubs and activities to participate in. Very affordable and many classes offered.

ashley elizabeth

I absolutely love my time at SCCC. The tuition is affordable, with plenty of options for financial aid, scholarships, and payment plans. I can only think of positive words for my professors; they were knowledgeable in their field, committed to teaching, and passionate about their subject material. The class sizes make it easier to get one on one help when a student needs it when struggling. Most classes also cater to all different learning types, great class reviews for tests and you are taught for the most part things you will use in life. Clubs are lively, for a community college there are so many clubs to attend. It is a great way to meet people and maybe become involved in leadership. Field trips are also an extra bonus about being involved in a club! All this doesn't mean a person can just breeze through at this school. Yes, the professors will go above and beyond, but it takes hard work and determination to graduate. Overall, this is a really great school.

Suffolk County Community College is a great school to get your start at. It is affordable, and offers a wide variety of majors and clubs to try out. With the many classes this school offers, it is great way to figure out what you want to major in the future, which also helps with finding future schools that you may want to transfer to.

Tiffany

It's a great school, with amazing professors who care about the students and love to see them succeed. The campus itself is clean and holds many activities for the community and really has a family feel to it. There are tons of student activities to get involved with and sports as well. The surrounding community is full of industry and friendly.

It’s okay for people that need to go to a close school for a cheap price. Not the nicest of colleges but you get what you pay for.

eirn

The worst thing about Suffolk County Community College is the lack of community. Everyone goes to class and straight home, and there really is not a big club or activity scene. The class sizes are great and I have had a few good professors. I am in the Honors College and felt the workload was extremely manageable and rather easy. I would even like to be challenged more. There are not many opportunities to get involved with any community events or community service. They always promote internships but only through e-mail, I never see anything more about it.

Maria

It is a very good college. The professors and administrators are very welcoming, they are always open to any issues students might have. There are a lot of groups and clubs to be part of. There are many multicultural activities, talks, forums that are very enriching and interesting. I like it.

Suffolk County Community College is a great place to get your start. Suffolk’s dedication to their student is usually overlooked because most student just see it as a community college, but they could not be more wrong. Suffolk is an established college and is recognized for it’s great academics all over the state. Suffolk is a great place to help you transition from high school to college and help you begin the path to self recovery. But the best part of suffolk would have to be their faculty. The facility will go through great lengths to help you succeed, from being there at any time to talk to about any topic to reaching out to colleagues at other universities to get you the assistance you need. suffolk is a great place to get your start!

Chrissy

Suffolk County Community College is a very unique place. It has a very diverse demographic of students. The school also is very accommodating as far as class times, and student schedules. It allows for every student to find a schedule that works best for them, whether it be in the case of work, kids, transportation, sports, etc.

Michael-Jonathan

Suffolk Community College is an amazing stepping stone assisting you into getting to the next location whether it be a job or another college. They have a wonderful teaching staff who genuinely is there to teach most with real world experience to base course off of.

Michaela

A laid back school where you can get work done at your own pace in a safe environment. Campus has a beautiful library, cafe area, places to sit outside, as well as couches and quiet lounges inside. Staff are friendly and usually helpful, college has supplies and equipment available for students to use, up to date computers so you are able to do good quality work. Good coffee and healthy food choices but the cafe can be pricey. Interesting variety of activities and special events. Beautiful campus, places to walk and exercise. Can be a nice place to hang out and study or chill with friends. Overall a good school.

Kyle

Suffolk County Community College at first can seem to be less then it really is. If you attend and put minimal effort in, you will receive the minimal in return. If you go there with a give it your all attitude, work with your professors, and look for extra curricular activities you are guaranteed to find something that interests you. Many students there have a "keep your head down attitude" at the eastern campus, however there are many people that you will find are interested in progressing their education and striving towards a brighter future. Every professor I've had has been very helpful, always willing to meet outside of the classroom or to help you with whatever you need. The campus is very clean and maintained well. If you are looking to further your education without going into debt I would highly recommend Suffolk County Community College.

Affaf

It is a community college so it obviously lack a lot of luxurious of other non community college. It however has great facilities and class sizes. It should have better transportation and safety measures and perhaps more ways for students to interact with each other

Rebecca

I am proud of where I go to for school. Suffolk may be a community college but I liked that I got the same quality of education I would get from any other school for a cheaper price. People may not think Suffolk is a great school because they haven't went there but the professors are caring and intelligent, the staff is always helpful and the students are friendly and always help each other out no matter what. Suffolk may not be an ivy league school or even a university but in my opinion it is just as good and I wouldn't have had my college years any other way.

Kacie

I really enjoyed this college. It gave me a great start for the first 2 years of my college experience. The professors were all great for the most part. Many of the professors had great stories and a lot of different experiences which helped make the classes more interesting. The campus is easily accessible and pretty to look at. The food was decent. The people that attended the campus were friendly and the administration office was always helpful.

mehak

if you are not sure about what you want to be, suffolk is a great pick.

Danielle

I am an alumnus of the Ammerman Campus of Suffolk County Community College. In an aesthetic aspect, I thought the campus was always maintained very well. During my time there, I had never been inside a building that wasn't constantly kept up with. My only complaint is that the outdoor stairway of one building was covered in graffiti. In regards to classes offered, from the get-go I was highly impressed with the diversity of courses a student could enroll in. There was pretty much something for everyone, which was very nice. Tuition was also extremely affordable, and receiving financial aid if sorely needed was never an issue for a number of students that I've spoken to during my time there. Like every college, the selection of professors had a mix of gems and ones whose teaching skills were less than desirable. Despite the skills of each individual professor, in every class I had taken, each professor was very focused and kept the class on track and taught us all that was promised on the syllabus. In regards to extracurricular activities, the campus had a vast selection of clubs to join. During my time, I had temporarily joined only three, but all of them were full of members that made you feel welcome upon your first meeting. However, as a student aspiring to go into the healthcare field, I was shocked to find no clubs for that interest. Still, they had many options for other school-related and everyday interests. They also offered many activities outside of school hours, such as a monthly movie night. My personal favorite was discounted trips to Broadway shows, where you were even allowed to bring guests if you so desired. The average class size was about 25 students, which I enjoyed very much, because it allowed students and professors to develop a more intimate relationship as well as made it easier for professors to shape their lessons to each student's needs. Lastly, another thing I enjoyed about Suffolk County Community College was their promotion of the arts. In their Southampton Building, they had multiple halls that were also galleries. I always liked to stroll around there on my free time and admire the talent and dedication of my peers. Overall, my time at Suffolk County Community College was full of fond moments and I certainly felt very comfortable there. I would highly recommend it as an affordable institution to anyone in the Suffolk County area.

I have been very pleased with this school. It is usually very clean around campus. The professors are also very nice and are very accessible. They are easy to get in contact with as well. Overall, I am very pleased to be attending Suffolk County Community College, it has opened me up to other career options. The faculty is very helpful in giving the best career advice and answering any questions that I, or any students have. I feel like I have learned a lot about the career paths that I have considered.

Lydia

Suffolk County Community College seems like a fairly good school, I look forward to attending it in the fall. Not everything I’ve heard about it has been good but it’s all based on personal experiences and opinions. I don’t think it will be a bad place to attend school.

Isabel

It is a place of which you must take advantage of. Despite common belief, Suffolk is not for slackers. You really have to work hard for your grades and placement in moving forward. It's crucial to create valuable relationships with professors during class participation so that you will have future references when you are in the process of transferring to a 4yr school. The professors are very helpful and will extend you a foot if you give them an inch. Do the homework (mandatory or not, it's a study guide.)

Korinah

I had an overall positive experience at Suffolk. I think the education and the time spent here depends on the person attending. If you make the most out of your professors and engage yourself on campus, there are countless ways to self-enrichment. Clubs and school associations are nice and administration is generally helpful if you’re polite and respectful. I’d say this is a solid two-year school.

Allison

I really enjoy it at Suffolk. I think it is a great option for everyone.

Carol

Is a great school to start your career because is not too expensive. You can obtain an associates degree or just complete classes to transfer to a 4 year school. The school is very clean and the professors are very good. Is a big campus and has a lot of parking space for the students.

Kathleen

I had a great time at Suffolk, it truly set me up for a successful future. I will be graduating this semester and it only took two years. The reason this was possible was because of some of the well organized professors I had. They always kept me up to speed.

Alyssa

Many people have a lower regard for community college. Admittedly, I did at first too. After succumbing to the community college student life, I realized that I couldn't have been more wrong. Suffolk opened my eyes to many academic opportunities, as well as many extracurricular activities that enlightened and excited me. The professors are very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. The best part? it is completely affordable for anyone!

Christina

Suffolk doesn't have the best reputation, many people put you down if you say that's where you're attending. This was mostly just a problem in high school. Now I'm really happy that I attended. It was a great start to college without putting me in a lot of debt. I thought that the professors were understanding of my situation, and valued teaching me. I took my studies very seriously here, in order to prep for my nursing program. I've gotten very helpful advice towards achieving my academic goals. I think if you're unsure in the slightest about your major, or if you want to take a slower start to your academic career, Suffolk is a great choice.

Gina

This is a good "starter" school. You can exceed undergrad here (if you so choose) and transfer pretty much anywhere to grad school. They offer transcripts online rather than waiting for a postal copy. All of the teachers that I encountered are accessible and want you to succeed!

Cynthia

Suffolk county community college is a very good school to do any pre-requisites at. The class sizes are decent and the professors try and help you understand the material. Some classes offer extra credit while others don’t. As far as i knoe there is no campis housing for this school.

Margaret

As a mom and full-time worker it was very difficult to attend colleges that only offer day classes. SCCC offers flexible scheduling; online courses as well as evenings and weekends which was a huge advantage for working people. Many people attending classes on the weekends or in the evenings also hold full time jobs and are there to advance their careers so they bring a wide variety of personal life experiences and connections wit them as well.

Lilibeth

I am so appreicative for the opportunity SCCC gave me. Not only did they help me apply and be enrolled under 15 minutes, but the faculty made sure I was on the right path in choosing my classes, and when I had trouble figuring out what major I wanted to chose. I am thankful for SCCC because they guaranteed my education for success.

Selena

I think it’s great. A lot of people look down on it because it’s “just a community 2 year college” , but I think it’s a great start. It’s a good place to get your foot in the door. It gives you an opportunity to make sure you’re enjoying your major, and it is affordable. There are many clubs and activities for students. Of course, no matter where you go you’ll get those few teachers that aren’t your favorite, but every teacher I had so far, was great and very understanding and available if needed for extra help. The campus isn’t too big, but it’s nice. With great dining options, a nice library and it’s genuinely a nice environment.

Bonnie

My overall opinion of Suffolk County Community College is it is just as challenging as any other college or university. There are a lot of professors and faculty who really care about giving you their absolute best. The food on campus is not that desirable but there is so much opportunity.

tJohns

Suffolk is a community college you have a lot of freedom to do your own thing. Personally I didn't care for it because of the people. Lots of immaturity going around which can lead to it feeling like 13th grade. It felt like extracurricular activities were run by children. The professors for the most part were helpful as long as you participate and respect each others time its smooth sailing. Its nice to see the college building more accessible areas to help students with studying, tutoring, etc. Honestly I couldn't wait to get out of there, and nothing was really memorable from this college experience.

I have greatly enjoyed my time at Suffolk, and I’m almost disappointed that my work there is almost over, and I’ll be transferring to a 4-year school. All the professors have been spectacular; they all learn their students names by heart and get to know them and their good and bad academic points. They are all very skilled at getting their message across as well. I’ve always come to understand what they explain quickly.

samantha

Suffolk is a great school to start your college career at. If you plan on going to school for four year or more . You should definitely start out here and save yourself a few dollars. You can meet wonderful people and make friends for life. The professors work with you as well and are very helpful

It’s a great college. It’s extremely affordable to gain your pre requisites and transfer to another school. There really good at transfer credits . There really good at making the teachers accessible and the class hours you can take are always great. Whether it’s morning mid day or night.

It's a great start and way to get into the college experience. It's a way to start off in college if you don't have to much money your still able to continue your education and work towards your degree. This college make sure it easy to get ready for thr college experience and decide weather you want to go away or not and see how the classes are.

SCCC is a college that has its ups and downs. For example, some professors do not show a template of an important essay or report that would be do, therefore the students have no idea on how to format their assignments. Even though that is a con, the education is okay and should not be doubted just because the school is a community college.