Suffolk University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Suffolk University

Scorra

Picking a college is always a different decision to make but so far my experience at Suffolk made me feel as though I made the right choice. My first overall impression started at orientation where I was quickly eloped into this active and inclusive environment. When moving in, despite being in a pandemic Suffolk really tried to connect us all as students that were going through the same experience where they throughly promoted a safe and adaptable learning environment even if it wasn’t what we all wanted coming into college. Personally my dorm was really comfortable yet, it has been hard making friends but the city being our backyard balances out the opportunities to explore. Academically I have been challenged and I feel as though I became a better student because of it and I feel having those good professors so far contributed to that. Overall there is something for everyone at Suffolk, there is always room to try, learn and explore new things.

Sabrina

awesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesome

Huini

The only reason you should go to Suffolk is because of Boston. You need to meet these three criteria to really enjoy life as a Suffolk student: be wealthy (bonus points if youre an international student), do not care much for academics or your future career, and love to party and drink. If you even miss one of these, your experience will suck. I only attended for a year since I am a first generation college student, I DEEPLY am invested in my education, and I would rather stay in with a few friends and watch netflix with pizza and wings. I knew I had to leave as soon as I got in, and so I transferred to a local public ivy. Since Suffolk is incredibly easy, my GPA was high enough for me to automatically get accepted in a rigorous and competitive program. Dont get me wrong, Suffolk has its perks that I do miss. For one, Boston is AMAZING. Walking to class was the highlight of my day. I would walk through the common everyday! Even the dirty sidewalks and mass tourists just made it feel like home. The class size is also incredibly tiny. You WILL know everyone in your graduation. The professors also know you and will reach out to you. In my current school, with 300 in one 9am class, it is really hard to stand out. At Suffolk I was able to get a handful of recommendation letters and references. And while yes the academics are easy so you hardly go as in depth as other universities, if you are looking for a good GPA, come here. Moderate studying will get you a 4.0. Most students complain about how difficult it is, but like I said before the student body is mostly made up of kids using daddy's money to party in Boston while majoring in political science to shut their parents up. Few actually study here. It is very lonely if you are a hard worker :( Would I come back? Nah. They give scholarships out like flyers, but even that doesnt cover enough tuition or cost of living. I am dirt poor; the only person in my entire family with a job (part time job at that). Never met any other financial aid kid like me. You will feel left out if you cant afford at least $50 every weekend. It was also hard to make decent friends. People are cliche-y and if you do not party or drink they will tend to shun you. Its like middle school all over again. I even tried organizing study groups. The few (like one or two) people that did show usually just goofed off. I always had to study alone. Im not a socially awkward person nor am I extremely aloof, but dang this school made me feel like I was. I only had a couple of friends because if this. And the academics are too easy. Lectures barely cover anything about the subject, tests are super basic, and books are high school level. I love what I study and plan to use it. Dont come here if you want to actually learn something. Yes thats harsh, and their law program is great, but aside from that everything is eh. That being said, everyone has different experiences but everyone also has different backgrounds and aspirations. Im the kid with a 7 year old ripped backpack but 4.0 GPA and decently built body (joking but I do take care of myself). I like to read and take naps at the library. Who are you? How do you think your experience will be?

machel

I believe that Suffolk University is overall a very good school. All the aspects that make it great and unique are aspects that can help you shape your career. The weaknesses it has are those that can be fixed and don't affect your overall career. They may affect your experience there, but I can safely say that as long as you utilize the multitude of resources that the school has to offer, your career will be what you want it to be.

Jocelyn

Suffolk University is the place for kids who have been constantly overlooked in school. We are the kids that are used to hearing "you'll be fine" but never "you're special". Suffolk University is the place for kids like me looking to find out what their skills can truly bring to the table. At Suffolk, I can find professors who are truly interested in me and want to see me succeed. As an institution Suffolk does not exist without its own sets of problems, however students are unwilling to keep their heads down. Suffolk students make their voices heard throughout the campus that are heard from students to the trustees. Privileged enough to be located in the center of Boston, the students and faculty that make up Suffolk University are dedicated to social change, progress, and nurturing strong and loud voices. This is why I am proud to be a small piece in a greater picture of very intelligent people at Suffolk University.

Kaitlin

Suffolk University is a well-rounded university. I love attending such a vibrant place. It is located in the heart of downtown Boston, and there is always something to do. It is nice and independent, and I don't feel reliant on just my campus life to have fun. There are so many opportunities not only within the school but around our open campus to discover or attend, so I am never bored. Classes sizes are small and discussion-based learning is fun and interactive for students like me. I feel apart of the bigger picture and not bored to death just listening to a lecture. Although it's expensive, I find the money I spend worth it.

Rosalen

Suffolk is a very nice school. Since day one when I was visiting for the first time I knew it is the one. Suffolk has the advantage of its location over all other school; downtown Boston is such a great resource to all students for internships and employment chances. Overall, Suffolk has a lot of great resources to students and tries to offer student their best college experience.

Anna

I transferred here and love it. I really enjoy that it's such a independent environment,

Erika

A place where you'll be exposed to the real world, have a chance meet people from all over the world, and grow up.

Tom

I love it. They give a generous financial package and they really care about their students- and it shows. The classrooms are small, so there is a lot of interaction with the students. There's also always something going on for all types of people. If not, the location makes it easy to access anything you need.

Brienna

I chose Suffolk based on the location, you cannot get better if you are looking for a college experience submerged in the heart of Boston. The opportunities of a lifetime surround you everyday on your walking commute to class. The experiences at Suffolk are indescribable.

Julia

Suffolk University is a small, diverse, powerful school. I am extremely satisfied with my decision on committing here. So far, I have learned more academically then I could have ever imagined. Suffolk is not known for their biology program, but it is incredible. Something that I wish would change is the ResLife policies and the way certain situations are handled on their behalf, but other than that, I have a very positive opinion of Suffolk University.

ashley

My overall opinion of Suffolk is that it is a great school in an even greater location. No matter what your major is, there are opportunities for you all around. Whether it is an internship or a future job, Suffolk has many options. I have enjoyed my time here immensely and hope to continue here.

jessca

My overall opinion of Suffolk University is 4/5 stars. It is a small school that makes up of about 5,000 undergrads. The buildings are updated and clean with new biology labs. Classrooms are small (at most 25 students not including lectures) which makes the learning environment one on one and the professors are available all the time. Since it's in the heart of Boston there is always so much to do. Baseball games, concerts, shows, and plenty of restaurants. 95% of 2017 graduates were employed or in grad school making internships available all around. There are 80+ student based organizations where all students can get involved. Suffolk really makes sure their students are engaged to build up their resume.

Leila

Disclaimer: I attend Suffolk University - Madrid Campus. I have never studied at the main campus. Our campus in Madrid is tiny and not well-publicized to incoming students. Our social media pages lack tons of helpful information. As an ambassador to the Madrid campus, one of the first questions I always hear from incoming students is: What is the housing like? This is one of my favorite questions to answer because student residences are completely different from dorms in the United States. At the Madrid campus, students can choose one of three options: the residence hall, a host family, or, if the student is at least a sophomore, they can rent their own apartment. As a resident of the dorms, I can accurately say that Spanish residence halls are sure to blow an American student's mind. Unlike the bleak and dreary prison squares of most American universities, Suffolk Madrid has partnered with an amazing residence hall. Residents of the dorm move into fully furnished rooms, complete with sheets and towels. But...it gets better. Twice a week a cleaning crew will return your room to its original pristine state. The crew will mop the floors, wipe the hand-prints off the window, and change the sheets and towels. In addition, several dorm rooms have their own balconies. I have never stayed with a host family but I have heard rave reviews from students who have. For those hoping to be truly immersed in Spanish culture, there is no better way to achieve that goal than by living with a host family. The Madrid campus receives few students who wish to live off-campus because these two school-sponsored housing options allow for quick connections to be made. I must say, though. As great as the accommodation part of the residence hall is, I find Spanish food leaves much to be desired. Because the campus is located in Spain, the dining hall serves foods common to the country. Do not be alarmed. There is nothing wrong with the food served at the dorms. I simply find that Spanish food is not as flavorful or spiced as the cuisine I am used to. Suffolk Madrid is a small campus with about 100 students every semester. Because of this, we have one building that serves the entire student body. The Suffolk Madrid building has recently been undergoing some renovations. However, even before these changes started, I loved the building. The student lounge is every new student's dream place. It's filled with posters of helpful tips, tourist destinations, and popular restaurants to make Madrid living easy. When class is in session, each classroom is filled with no more than 30 students. These small classes allow for deeper discussion. I prefer these small classes because they allowed me to get to know my professors. The professors at Suffolk Madrid are extremely qualified for their jobs. The possess the unique quality to motivate their students to learn more about the subject matter. There are several courses that stand out. The first one that comes to mind are all of the Spanish courses. Living in Madrid, these Spanish classes become a survival tool. They are taught by top-notch professors who understand the need to learn the basics as well as quick conversation phrases that will aid us as we explore the city. In addition, classes that focus on the Spanish government and the European Union are eye-opening. In my opinion, knowing about the government of the country where you live is helpful in understanding the native people. I truly enjoy learning new things at Suffolk Madrid. I realize I have mentioned this many times, but let me say it again. We are campus of 100ish students. Because we are such a small school, clubs tend to come and go as the participants graduate from the campus. However, the school maintains a governmental body semester after semester. The Student Council plans themed events and introduces new students to the city. Our campus is located 20 minutes from the city center. Madrid boasts an excellent public transportation system which allows the Suffolk Madrid students to easily travel throughout the city. Overall, I would rate Suffolk Madrid as a 4 out of 5 stars. The campus has an incredible location and the experience is made even better with the support of the administration staff and the professors. The small campus allows the students to make strong friendships. Although we lack clubs and sports, we spend quality time together at nearby ice rinks, tapas bars, and in other European countries.

Karen

Suffolk is a close community. It is not a huge school so people know each other more easily. There are so many opportunities to get involved on campus and become a leader. There are many resources offered for students, academic, extra-curricular, and personal-wise. And you are in the heart of Boston, so there is always something nice to see. I enjoy studying in Suffolk University.

Meredith

Suffolk University is awesome. It's right in the heart of Boston. The school has beautiful facilities, some of the best dorms in Boston. The academic building are all new, or newly renovated. The professors are all experienced and can always be found helping out students outside of the classroom. Additionally, we have some of the best companies around to get internships and jobs.

Meagan

I love attending Suffolk University! There are many opportunities on and off campus to get involved in whatever you may be interested in. I am involved in at least four or five on-campus clubs, as well as maintaining an off-campus job and a social life. I love the location of our school, the class sizes, and a majority of the people on campus.

Kira

I love Suffolk University! I think for a University that does not have a secluded campus they do a great job of making sure everyone is involved. I always feel like I am included! I am an honors student in the business school, and they have a lot of networking opportunities for us. I knew that this school would give me the opportunities I was looking for the moment I took the tour.

Kenji

Suffolk University is a good place to go if you want to feel independent. As a student, you really have to try and put yourself out there in order to make friends. This means joining clubs and getting involved is extremely important. There is a pretty good variety of activities to do around campus. For example, I volunteer a lot, I am a member of our school's fraternity, and I am a member of the a cappella group. There are a lot of commuters and international student here which creates a type of social barricade. There are not many sports to play, especially intramurals. The education you receive is pretty good (at least in the business school). Some professors are outstanding and some are very boring. You see and learn a lot from the diversity the city of Boston and its universities provides.

Tiani

Suffolk University is the place to be! Going to school in the heart of Boston provides plenty of opportunities for any student. There is always places to go, new people to meet, and you accomplish this all while achieving a better education. Whether you want to be a dancer or a lawyer Suffolk Univerfsity has a flexible enough culture so that everyone will feel comfortable.

Jules

Suffolk is great for individual attention from an incredible lineup of faculty. It's primarily a commuter school so on-campus housing is not up to par. The dorm facilities are definitely nice with heating and A/C but the pipes burst every year and the cafeteria food is terrible with no way to opt out of a meal plan. The administration is hard to work with and take forever to get things done. The saving grace is the teachers and academics. There's an incredible amount of attention given to the students and some classes can be individually molded to the student so that they receive the most out of each class and learning experience.

izzy

Luis

When I think of Suffolk University, I think “this is my school. There are many like it, but this one is mine.” With just one year at Suffolk, I can’t image life without it. The ability to talk with professors at any time and feeling their passion for teaching. The variety of activities that are possible thanks to campus being at the heart of Boston. The multitude of different people from different states, countries, races and sexual orientations that allow more open conversation about a large variety of topics. I ramble for my love for Suffolk with my family and friends. Suffolk University is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. There are many things that make Suffolk a questionable choice besides the price. The cost is a hard pill to swallow after seeing all the shortcomings of the university: The poor quality of food served on campus, the overwhelming presence of over-priced Starbucks in every building. The difficulties of finding housing if deciding to come over to Suffolk from a different state/country even with the help of Suffolk’s housing office. As well as the fear that overcomes student’s when walking the night's streets of Boston. And considering two crimes have accord involving Suffolk student, the fears are justified. And yet, I stay at Suffolk. Having gone through my first year and looking forward to my second. The people, opportunities, activities, etc. I’m happy for the first time in a while, I’m making it last.

Anuj

I mean Suffolk is a great school was founded decades ago very prestigious. But the organization just signed Monty so it’s back on the map! And he will steer this academic facility to the right direction. Was a great guy many schools loved his work ethic and character handles himself well.

Olivia

I absolutely LOVE Suffolk! Entering my sophomore year, I couldn't imagine any school more perfect for me. Suffolk Law programs in particular stand out as academically excellent, and the campus is very diverse and inclusive. I can't get enough of Suffolk, Boston, and the opportunities that are presented to me every day. I traveled to Spain with Suffolk my freshman year as a part of their Global Gateway Program, which strives to encourage students to travel and study abroad. I am blessed to be a part of the Suffolk community. Go Rams!

Eric

Suffolk University is a great school. The school is about 50% made up of diverse students. This is amazing because you can learn about different cultures and perspectives. Suffolk University is located near the financial district. This is perfect for a student like me who enjoys networking and meeting individuals smarter than me. I am president of the finance club at Suffolk University, which has been amazing. We are bringing eight firms this semester so students can learn from industry leaders. This wouldn't be possible if Suffolk university didn't approve, but they're always open to new ideas! My overall opinion of Suffolk university is I love it and highly recommend going! Let me end with a story. The dream I have is to become the best motivational speaker in the world. This dream came from leadership opportunities Suffolk university provided. I do not come from much, but this has been the greatest blessing of my life. Because when I accomplish something, it is so genuinely earned and not given. People love listening to my words of encouragement because they see my actions back up what I say; I am always the hardest worker in the room. It is a gift to be able to work. I am the president of the Finance Club and ambassador of the business school. I have had internships at Fidelity and Merrill Lynch, all through hard work and a dream. I need this money to stay in school! Please help me! I appreciate the opportunity, thank you!

Alexander

When I first visited Suffolk University, I really liked how each school buildings were 1-3 mins walking distance from each other. It's not confusing to get around campus and it's very easy to find classrooms. Each building has its own unique place to stay in and staff are extremely helpful. I feel like its a good university overall however I feel like it the university doesn't really give the students "the college experience" as other schools in my opinion would. But , it's easy to be focus on your school work and there are less distractions in campus and out of campus.

Gianna

I think Suffolk University is a safe zone school in which provides the proper education and dedication of not only the students but faculty members as well. Certainly a gold mine school for ideas to roam free to better the community while having a safe and drama free school.

Sofia

Suffolk University has provided me with so many amazing opportunities I never would have thought about exploring. There is a large community of people who want to see you succeed. Whether those people are students and peers, faculty, higher administrators and coordinators, and even our lunch faculty love seeing us be healthy and growing. There are rarely feel moments in which I feel alone because Suffolk makes sure that their helpful hands are extended as far as they can reach. Whether or not their grasp is met, is dependent on the student. However, if​ support is ever needed at any point in time then there is no hesitation to reach out for it.

Angela

Honestly the best university I’ve attended. Professors are kind and helpful and they actually want you to succeed. Students are so intelligent and hardworking that it motivates me to work harder too. Campus is nice and clean. I have never once felt unsafe while at Suffolk. It is also a pretty diverse university.

Luis

I feel that Suffolk university is a home for everyone because it adds a home type of vibe. Even if you are far from you're home it still makes it feel like the Suffolk community is family. It adds this because they will always come to support even if you are in sports.