Loch Sheldrake, NY
Sullivan County Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Sullivan County Community College

Breanna

I went to the school for an entire year. At first I like how things were going because I was a newcomer, however after a couple months things started to get horrible. The dorm was messy and the RAs were disrespectful. Teachers had their good and bad days, you are lucky if you find or have good teachers at the school.

Ember

The American Sign Language classes are amazing, well known for the culinary arts, big on the arts, and full of diversity. The people are nice and there are lots of events that take place at the school. Overall, I think the teachers could be a lot better but its okay for a Community College.

Kaitlyn

With my last semester in SCCC, working towards my bachelor's in Simulation and Game Development, I've learned three important truths. When I look back on myself just shy of two years ago, I feel the best advice I could give would be words of self improvement. Letting go of such a rigid idealization of who I was supposed to be helped me break the mold I had set myself in and allowed me to move foward. Therefore, my first piece of advice is that it is okay to reach out to people, ask for help and try new things. Secondly, remember to practice humility. Do not take criticism on your work as a personal attack. Instead, open your mind to the possibility that you can improve. My last piece of advice is to always be working on the things you love. Work on your career, yourself, your life, work with the people you care about and never give up on any of it. Create a foundation on the principles of your lifestyle which you can always build upon, the satisfaction with the quality of your life will know no bounds.

If you are fresh out of highschool, not sure what to do, don't have much money and are looking for a place to get started, SCCC is a good option. As long as you are willing to work, you will get the footing you need to move foward with ease.

The most frustrating thing about this college, for me, is the difficulty of access I have to my work. On campus, there is only one small room which I do not have direct access to and no longer accomodates all of the students that need to use it. It is the only room which runs the software I need and a lot of the software is very expensive to buy on my own when taking into account all of the other expenses I'm paying to take these classes.

Brittney

Never doubt yourself! I have spent a large part of my life feeling belittled and unworthy. Highschool is diffrent from the "real world." No matter what anyone thinks about you, you are the only one that controls where you go in life. I will always continue to strive for my goals as long as I believe in myself and I will never again relinquish my self power simply because some one else does not believe in me.

Nothing more then I already knew. My previous teachers tought me well and I have learned from all my experiences. I believe I am doing very well in school and in life. I constantly observe my suroundings and learn from them and thats all you need to have a basic grasp on college life.

The most frustrating thing is the lack of electives available. At my college we have very few professors which makes classes much more personal; however, the lack in adjunct teachers has left the school with few extra classes. Unfortunatly, students will always get stuck taking classes they never wanted to take.

Cheryl

Based on what a few of the instructors say, I guess SCCC is best known for it's culinary classes. As for me, I see that the Graphic Design/Computer Graphics department is very well known, and almost the majority of the students that attend here would like to attend that major. The other instructors seem to praise the Graphics instructor, Tom Ambrosino. He's great at what he does, and he's incredibly well known for teaching his students knowledge that guarantees them a spot in a great career.

Knowing what I know now about college, if I could travel back in time, I would tell myself to get more help in math classes and give more speeches for english classes. Even though the math in college isn't that hard, I'm not as quick to get the answers, and some problems just don't make sense to me. I would tell myself to find study partners or even a tutor. As for the speeches, I would tell myself how important speech class is and how I should continuously practice on speeches and getting in front of people, which genually frightens me. With help from my peers, I would then succeed and over come my fear of public speaking. My past self would then known these two main factors that are really important which I did not know about college.

I wish I learned to take better notes in high school before I came to college. There were a few classes where you have to take notes while the teacher is talking, but I used to look in the text book. In college, every class the method of jotting notes while the instructor is talking is most essential to reference back on the lecture. I am starting to pick up my speed of writing the notes down. but I still miss so much information.

Hope

The most frustrating thing for me about school is not being able to take all of the classes I would like to each semester. I usually have between 16 and 18 credits per semester but I'd love to take more classes!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd tell myself to not take life for granted. To take every opportunity that is given to me and to run with it! Failure at one thing doesn't mean that I'm incapable of learning, I just need to find another way to learn it. Most importantly, I'd let myself know that the world is full of limitless choices and that I should study what I love, there's no better job then one you wake up eager to get to!

My classmates are openminded, excited to learn and looking forward to their futures.

Sullivan County Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.