Albany, NY
SUNY at Albany

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY at Albany

Erin

SUNY at Albany

There are so many opportunities for students to get involved. We have 13,000 undergraduate students which can seem a little overwhelming at first, but by getting involved, you make a tight-knit group of friend with whom you share all your experiences. People call it SMALLbany because even though it's large, it does start to feel like you have a family.

Serena
What are you looking for?

What are you looking for?

SUNY Albany, or mainly known as UAlbany, is a great place if you are looking to meet interesting people, a variety of over qualified professors, an abundance of extracurricular activities, and a complete college experience. Living at UAlbany is not that bad. Some of the rooms are a little small, but if your lucky enough to get a newly renovated room, you will have plenty of space. For freshman, there are special communities called living-learning communities where students are grouped with students of the same major. They live together, have similar classes, and an easy way to meet people with similar interest. These are usually in the freshman quads, State and Indian. You will always miss your mom's cooking, but the food here is not awful. If you wanted to, you could eat hamburgers and fries for dinner for a week. Or, you can feast on a large salad with cheese, beans, onions, carrots, broccoli, etc. Just make you get some dessert from the dessert bar afterward. All of the professors her have a Master's degree or higher in their field of expertise. That does not mean they all can all teach well, but they will be able to answer your questions thoroughly. They encourage students to email them and to go to their office hours. This is useful to everyone. If you don't think you understood it in class, maybe a one-on-one with your professor can help. I'm not saying the professors can't teacher, I'm just saying that it can be difficult to hear or understand them; especially in a class with over 100 students. Most classes are between 15-30 students, unless you are taking a class like psychology or biology, then you may have a class from 100-350 students. Don't be frightened by those numbers. Get to class a little early to get a good seat near the front. The extracurricular activities expand from cultural and interest clubs like, the Japanese Student Association and Astronomical Society to athletic clubs such as, Mixed Martial Arts and Rugby. There are also many sports teams that you can watch at during the week and on the weekends. There are always events going on whether its academical or recreational, there is something to please everyone's interest. Just recently reproduced the play Caesar at the Performing Arts Center. If that's not enough, we also have a museum that most people don't know about, but it's there. As for parties, there are plenty of them if you don't mind walking downtown with a few of your friends. If not, there are always people to party with on and off campus, though you may find partying with your close friends to be a more humorous event than going to a frat house downtown. Overall, UAlbany has the ability to give each student their own wonderful college experience if the student is willing to seize the opportunity.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The library is definitely the best place to work. If you want to get work done without getting distracted easily, the library would be that place. The first floor is the group study area, but the second and third floor are the quiet zones. It is quiet enough to make the sound of a pencil hitting the floor become a guilty act. It is easy to become completely concentrated on work in these quiet, independent study zones. It is also very relaxing to not have to hear the constant chatter of roommates and the people walking past your dorm window. Before you know it, all of your work is done and almost no time has past.

I brag most about the podium fountain. In the middle of our academic podium, where most classes take place, is a huge fountain. Most people will see the tower that glows purple at night or notice when its bells ring. That tower controls the water pressure for the fountain and can be seen from almost anywhere on campus. The cool thing about it is it is okay to walk through and you can also play an epic game of Fountain Frisbee in it. The water raises a little over the ankles. At 10am and 10pm, their is a water shower where water shoots out the jets in the center of the fountain. There are lights that make the water turn color and it becomes half the size of the tower. It is one of the most awe inspiring events on campus and it happens every day and night until they drain the fountain for the winter.

If you are looking to attend SUNY Albany then you have to be willing to try new things and grab at opportunities. If you are looking to be comfortable and to stay in your room all day, this is not the college for you. In order to have the most fun, you must be willing to explore and to make friends and acquaintances wherever you can find them. People will notice if you sit in your room all day, every day and some will try to get you outside so if you want to be a hermit, it is not going to be here. You also will not be happy here. You do not have to be an extrovert or a party animal to get along well, you just have to be willing to take a little bit of a chance. Everyone is looking for friends and to have a good time so make the most of that.

Great Bang for Your Buck!

Great Bang for Your Buck!

As a New York State Resident, this is the best choice I could have made. I partook in a large number of AP courses in high school, so I came into school with 35 college credits and the status of a second semester sophomore. It is currently my second year here and I will be considered a senior this coming spring. I am triple majoring in Financial Analysis, Accounting, and Mathematics, and will be finishing up my economics minor this coming spring. I participate in the club field hockey team and the running exchange. As a native western New Yorker, I don't mind the cold, so I absolutely love the winters here.

Marissa

I wish I had known that college professors are not what high school teachers make them seem. I stressed about this until the first day of classes. My classes have ranged from 30 people to 500 people. If you make an effort to see the professor in their office, they are more than willing to work with you and help you. I was scared that the professors would be mean and stuck in their ways but they are not. I wish I knew this coming into school because it would have taken a lot of the stress off my shoulders.

I think this is a great school for anyone to attend. There are people of all different personalities. I am an introvert but I do not find it hard to make friends. Everyone here is open to try new things and experience life with you. I am glad I chose a school with such diversity and a range of people. It gives you a chance to branch out and really find who YOU are. The friendships made here are very solid and will last a lifetime.

Lynnette

Sometimes it's hard to find out who to get help from.

Sometimes it's hard to find out who to get help from.

As a transfer student it's a little harder to make friends.

FOLLOW YOUR DREAM AND STOP BEING SCARED! It's going to hold you back if you don't believe in yourself. You are intelligent and you just have to stop thinking pessimistically. Nothing comes easy and you have to bust your B-U-T-T to get what you want. Please don't settle for an easy route, because honestly, it's only going to make things more difficult for you at the end of the day. Yes, it takes a while to adjust. Yes, it' scary and sometimes you will want to give up - just like you did in high school. BUT YOU MADE IT! And if you made it this far please just go for what you want. I promise you it will be an amazing journey and it will all be worth it at the finish. Push past all of that fear, that is the most important part. You have all of the support you can imagine. When you're afraid someone will always have your back. Now go do what you really desire - never ever settle for less than that. When you realize you settled, you'll also realize you made a big mistake.

I would tell myself to make as many friends as possible and to not stick to one group of friends. I would also tell myself to absolutely join an abundance of groups on campus. Getting involved is the most important thing you should do when going to college. Focus on your studies your freshman year and get to know every professor you have from the first day of college to the last. You do not want to start with a low GPA because bringing it up will be hard. Still have a social life on the weekends but during the week, study , study , study. Also, still keep a close connection to the people in your life back home. It is easy to not talk to your loved ones for days on end while you are away at college. And lastly, learn how to BUDGET your money!

I wish I knew more about financial aid resources and how to get the best scholarships to help me pay for my Suny Albany education

Too many lecture center classes. It is hard to get a professor to remember you when you share a classroom with 500+ students

Marissa

The Scientific Research that is going on at SUNY Albany.

The Scientific Research that is going on at SUNY Albany.

The professors are very helpful,you just have to get over any fear of approaching them. They have been extremely helpful, in explaining a topic again so that you are able to understand it better.

Embrace the nervous excitement you have about college, don’t let it hold you back. Take every opportunity you have to explore something outside of what you’re comfortable with. These experiences are the most rewarding. They help you realize who you are or an interest you have that you may have never known. Take advantage of the time you have to figure out who you are and who you want to become. Try to envision the kind of future you want to have and make the necessary steps to get there. Everything you get from college is earned, not given.

Peter

Imagine all regions of New York State merged into one place, and you have a pretty diverse group; my classmates were characters, and you can learn a lot about life interacting with people from different backgrounds than yours.

I would not give myself any advice. If I went back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would change my past, I would not have the same experiences as I have had, and I would not be me anymore. Logically, I can't see how the present version of myself could exist, without making the many mistakes I have learned from. I could not encourage changing my past path, because my current self would no longer exist. My point is: regrets are counterproductive. Experience is the greatest teacher. We live, grow, mess up, grow some more, roll with the punches, hit the ground -- running, or flat on our face -- and pick ourselves up when we fall down. Without my many mistakes and "learning the hard way" I would not be the person I am today, and I don't want to be anyone else. If given the opportunity to talk to my high school self, I would decline... he's a smart kid, he'll figure it out eventually... or not. Life is meant to be lived with risk.

Yes, it's a party school, if that's your thing. However, UAlbany also works well for the serious-minded student. You can be social or anti-social, there's a fit for everyone. Make sure you ask around about which professors to take, there are absolute gems, which can make or break your experience. Especially if you're a NY resident, there aren't may better deals considering educational quality and price of admission... and yes, it's a party school. Even if you're not a regular partier, it's nice to have fun options to unwind!

The type of person best suited for SUNY Albany is someone who loves finding ways to stand out in the crowd. Albany is a really big school and to be happy you will want to get involved and get to know as many people as possible. It is in a great location for networking. The people who will best fit in here will be ready to jump right into the action and take no prisoners.

Your biggest enemy will be yourself. The stress you pile on, the assignments you let pile up, it is all a self-sabotaging system. Overcome it by learning to breathe and welcoming the future even if it scares you, because I know it does. You do not need to tell anyone because they know too. Your existence seems to rest on the moments you are having now. You make bucket list with friends, you try to fit in some last ditch teenage rebellion. All are good efforts, but it is for naught. Life will keep going and the experiences you have had so far are specks in time to what you will experience as you keep living. My best advice is to take it by the day and learn to breathe because someday you will look back at all the stress and just laugh to yourself at how petty all the drama was. Breathe in acceptance, breathe in relief and breathe to remind yourself to keep on swimming.

SUNY at Albany administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.