SUNY at Albany

« See more reviews of SUNY at Albany

On the UAlbany campus there are a variety of groups that support different religious, racial and LGBT rights. I personally have not have much experience with them, however I know that they are very popular on campus and include a variety of different students. I honestly do not feel as if any student would feel out of place here. There are so many different clubs and organizations on campus that there is really a club for absolutely anyone, and even if there is not a club, it is very simple to begin one. That is something that I enjoy a lot about this campus, that there is an organization for any type of students and every club is very accepting and always welcomes new members. Students wear a variety of different outfits to classes during the week. Many wear jeans and a sweatshirt, or sweatpants, while others do dress up and look very nice to class. There are a multitude of different outfits that one will see students wearing to class. I do think that it is very possible to interact with a variety of different students. I personally have made friends with a variety of students through classes and clubs that I am associated with. It is very simple to form a friendship in the classroom and to have that branch outside the classroom as well. If you walk into the Campus Center at around 1 o'clock during the week, you will find a variety of students congregated in those row of tables. First you might find the typical sororities and fraternities at a table or two. They tend to stay together because they are involved in many events together due to Greek life. The Greek life at this University is not very overpowering. It is possible to enjoy your four years here and not be involved in any sorority or fraternity. However, many students who are involved are very nice and friends with students who might not be interested in being in Greek life. Another table that you might find are the typical student athletes. They tend to hang out together because of their similar schedules. It is very easy to spot a student athlete on campus because they almost always have some sort of athletic UAlbany attire on. Then you will find in the other two tables a variety of different kids that are just hanging out with their friends. The two most distinguishable groups of students are the student athletes and those involved in Greek life. There are a number of places from where students are from. You will find a majority of students from upstate and western New York, along with a huge number of students from downstate-mostly Long Island. In addition to that, there are a number of international students and those that are from out of state as well, however, many students are from the upstate region of New York or Long Island. I personally do not know what financial background most students come from. It is not something that is spoken about here. I do know students that come from wealthy backgrounds while there are also students that can only attend the University through the EOP program. Financial background is definitely not something that is a major concern for many students. I believe that also leads to students not talking about how much they will earn in the future. Every student wants a good job and to make millions of dollars in the future, but that is everyone's dream when they are in college. I do think that there are a large number of students who are politically active, especially those that are within the Political Science department. However, I know that there are also a large number of students who are ignorant to the political issues plaguing the country today. It all depends on how politically active the student wants to be on their own.

UA is extremely diverse. Students come from all parts of the state, mostly pooling from Long Island, New York City, Western New York, Upstate, and little towns you've never heard of. There are cliques on campus with the frats and sororities but even then it's pretty hard to find only one group that sticks to itself. Since the school is big, it encompasses all types of students. And since it's not that big of a school, everyone gets to mingle with each other. Which is nice when you look around a room at a party and realize that some kids from Buffalo are partying with your roommates from Brooklyn and Oswego, three completely different lifestyles. We have rich kids, middle class, lower income families. You'll have kids in your class who have never been to New York city, and you'll have friends who've never left the city except to come to Albany. There are stereotypes like the typical long island blow out dude bros, and the uber tan sorority girls, but for the most part you'll always find some one you can relate to. DO NOT wear uggs + sweat pants + messy bun + big ass sunglasses + northface fleeces. I'm sick of them. Stop it. Students are politically aware, and some are active, and while it is college and most people are liberal, there's no pressure to feel any which way.

Most of the students here at the university are very open-minded. SUNY at Albany prides itself on diversity and this is something I can only positively speak about. The population on campus range from old (as old as 65) and young (as young as 15), African-American, White, Hispanic, and Asian, straight and gay, rich and poor, etc. There are also over 150 student groups on campus. There is almost a group for any/all interests. Despite all these differences, all the students thrive and live together without any issues. Being a member of the residential life staff, I am also exposed to how individuals interact. Some students are drawn more towards people they find similar to themselves, and other love to explore outside of their comfort zones. There is however almost no conflicts among different groups because of differences in any form

The great thing about SUNY Albany is there are so many businesses, small and large. If you're a poly sci major, you can intern downtown with the NYS Assembly. If you're interested in working for a large business, the General Electric corporate office in Schenectady offers various internship opportunities in finance, management, communications and HR. If you're interest in public policy, Planned Parenthood is always looking for students within their various departments. Engineering majors have the opportunity to work for the NanoTech Complex, a five billion dollar investment built in 2007. Albany is a thriving city that offers a ton of opportunity for people with different interests.

SUNY Albany is an extremely diverse campus and offers clubs and groups for all types of races, religions, LGBT members/advocates, and for students of all different socio-economic status. There is really no student that would feel out of place, we have every race, culture, socio-economic status and international students and we provide resources for all people. Students who attend my school mostly come from middle class families and tend to have political opinions of all different kinds. They actually have a Republican and Democrat group that will often put on debates for students to watch.

SUPER SUPER diverse. Yeah about 80% of the students are form Long Island but not all of the kids from LI are the same. you can even find people form out of state as far as California here at the university. Great for meeting all types if people. Yeah you have some of your social cliques and groups that find each other. But its as easy to make your own group. Theres a club or sorority or whatever for any type of person. to class everyone looks like they just rolled out while others actually get readyy for class (so freshman) but yeah its semi like high school but bettter.

Albany is extremely diverse and tolerant. You will meet anyone and everyone you've ever imagined, and a few characters you never could have dreamed up. But for the most part the student body is a bunch of rich kids from Long Island or the surrounding area, who will spend the rest of their lives living off of mommy and daddy's successes. Honestly, when I'm talking to a guy at the bar and he says he's from Long Island, I walk away. They're just too much trouble and too high-maintenance for someone who didn't grow up in the same environment.

There are many students in one single classroom (or lecture center). Sometimes so many that it makes it uncomfortable asking qestions. But if you don't understand something there is always a student near by who is willing to answer your question (that and the professors office hours). Because there are so many students, sometimes you don't want to attend class because you feel less connected to the professor. On the flip side, there are many small classes in this institution to so it kind of evens out.

The students in my school are very diverse. There are hundreds of groups on campus varying from race, religious, orientation, and socio-economic level and many more. I believe no student can feel out of place at Ualbany because there is a spot for everyone no matter what your interest there is most likely a group for it and if there is not you can make your own.Most of the students are either Hispanic, White or black, Asian but we also have lots of mix race individuals at albany.

My classmates at Suny Albany are often friendly and open to learning about new people, cultures, values, and experiences. Throughout my college career I have never felt like I could not speak up or give my opinion about something in class that we were reviewing. My classmates are very understanding and open to new ideas and they encourage each other to speak out about their life experiences. Together we create a comfortable and safe environment.