SUNY at Binghamton Top Questions

Alexis

I wish I had known that some textbooks didn't have to be bought or rented. Some textbooks are made by the school and you have to get them and some can be rented from other places, but there are other ways of getting your textbooks for free. You can look online with your ISBN number and possibly find your textbook online for free.

Hailey

There are many resources to make your experience here the best it can be, but you have to be proactive in finding and using them. Ask questions, meet new people, and don't be afraid of looking ignorant--it's what you'll have to do in the real world, anyway. Don't pay too much atention to your first impressions; on the surface it seems like everyone is loud, pessimistic, and they all come from Long Island, but there's over 15,000 students. Odds are a few of them will end up being your best friends.

Lillian

The weather would really be depressing.

Monique

The wealth of scholarships and aid available for high school students preparing to start college. That would have saved me a lot financially.

Franz

There isn't really anything I wish I had known.

I wish someone had told me to rely 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} on the buses and walking, and to never pay for a cab. Cabs might take you directly to your location, but they get extremely expensive, especially on weekdays. Always take the bus that will drop you off closest to your location, and then use Mapquest or Google Maps for directions to walk the rest of the way. Would you rather spend $7-$12 on an unreliable cab (each way), or absolutely nothing besides a little energy?

Min

I wish I knew how to time manage better. I wish I knew there was more independent studies needed to earn good grades.

glory

i wish i would have known how expensive it would be to go away to college. also how expensive their books and meal plans were.

Rehan

Everyone should get an equal oppertunity to compete. I think everyone should be given a chance.

Mike

I wish I had known how difficult my major would turn out to be. Although it is strenuous and time consuming, I'm confident the material I learn and the effort I put in will prepare me for the real world.

College is not like high school!! Studying is VERY important, but it's also nice to be able to have a social life on the side.

Steve

I wish I had known about different cafes and spots located in the area outside campus. There is a lot to do in the city of Binghamton but I did not realize until after spending a few years at the school and moving off campus. I also wish I would have known how big the bar scene was before attending the school, so I would be better prepared.

Part of school is learning through your mistakes. It is not the end of the world to get a C on a paper. There is so much help avaiable through free tutoring and teacher's office hours. I wish I knew about that in the beginning of the semester. College is not how it appears in the movies. It requires a lot more work, but recieving a good grade is all worth it.

really how many people from nyc and long island came to the school

Darien

I wish that I would have taken more time and thought into exactly what I wanted to do in the future. Thankfully after deciding to go into the medical career I found that Suny Binghamton offered many resourses in order for me to persue my dreams and aspirations.

Jacquelyn

I wish I had known what kind of challenges I faced and more about the courses.

Adam

I wish that I knew how uninterested the student body appears to be in regards to their academics. Though the school may be somewhat prestigious (they are very quick to mention that they are the "premier public university of the Northeast"), it really is not much better than any other school. It is somewhat well-known around the area (Cornell University is less than an hour away, and the two schools have a good relationship), but I have come to realize that many of the top-tier graduate/law/medical schools are not familiar with it.

Zachary

I wish that I would have known what i was going to major in. The school runs a computer based class advising program, which means u imput ur major into a computer and it tells u the class that u might want to take. There isnt much one on one advising until the end of your juinor or senior years.

Erika

That most of the money that the school receives goes to the science and engineering departments. My senior year the engineering students got a brand new state of the art facility while the english majors had to pay for their own blue books.

Yehuda

SO COLD!

Daniel

I wish I had known a little more about how college works and how to financially plan for college.

Katherine

I wish I had known that the weather was so horrendous in Binghamton, and had prepared to be in a cold and rainy and snowy environment. Otherwise, it was a great school!

Alexander

City is dead, not much to do on weekends that doesn't involve alcohol, full of people that didn't make it into Cornell.

Mike

How apathetic most students are

Nicholas

this school has five different individual undergraduate colleges. School of Management, Harpur College, Decker School OF Nursing, Watson ENgineering, Human developement. Do not confuse an acceptance to one with an acceptance to the other. I did so with SOM and i cannot be a business major. I am forced to major in economics instead.

Aleksey

The lack of major banks in the area. That i need to apply for jobs well ahead of time. That i need to have all my classes picked out before i start to register.

jim

The usual weather here.

Alexander

How little funding the state gave this school

Richard

I believe that I was well prepared for college life. I only wish I had saved up more money in order to have certain luxuries more readily available to me.

Erin

I wish I had known that it would challange me enough and that it might not have such a strong program for my major. that being said i think it was the right school for me at the time and im glad I went .

Lawrence

To bring more jackets and cold weather gear, it snows for about 5 months up here. Blackouts = no school! Get involved starting freshman year, you lose a lot of time by just transitioning into college. Get a hold of yourself and get your work done. 4 years of work for a lifetime of success or 4 years of partying for a lifetime of indfference.

I wish I had known how to be a more responsible individual with spending money. College in general, not only Binghamton, can be very expensive at times. I wish I had known not to spend so much money on eating out & shopping for clothes, but for more important necesities such as shampoo or water. Other than that, I feel that the campus environment is so relaxed that it is easy to adjust and adapt to its different ways so I have no other regrets.

Hilary

I wish I had really believed that it was okay to not have a major coming in as a new student. I pressured myself a lot to come up with a major because I thought that would make me more successful, when really I chose the wrong major and became unseccessful. If new students just register for courses that interest them, their interests will spark and an idea for a major will eventually come along without the pressure of forcing yourself into one.