Fredonia, NY
SUNY at Fredonia

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY at Fredonia

I am a mother of three and I live in a small rural town in South Dakota. The oppurtunity to go to school is little to none under those circumstances. So I thought. I started looking into National American University and found that I could go online. This was a dream come true. I new for years that going to school was going to be my only option to better the lives of me and my children. I am still able to work and spend time with my kids, all while getting my degree. I was curious to see how comparable the coursework was to a campus university and I found that it is just as challenging if not more. I have gained so much from the experience and am happy to say I am going to be a proud graduate in December 2011. No more paycheck to paycheck, or "I can't afford it."

My classmates in the music department were very supportive. I can honestly say that competition was not valued by students at Fredonia. This created a highly supportive and open place to be creative and to grow as musicians with the constructive criticism and support of others.

From my college experience I can point out a few main themes: comraderie and the ability to work with others, mentors and wisdom passed down from my professors, and my personal growth as a musician. These three main concepts are the molding experiences I've had at SUNY Fredonia. At Fredonia, I have had the pleasure of working alongside peers who did not compete with each other, but rather, supported each other in a good manner and with much respect. Not only was this a great way to go through a music program, but it has also ingrained that method of comraderie and support among peers. This is something I will no doubt demonstrate throughout my career. My professors at Fredonia have molded me into the musician and teacher that I am today. I owe so much of my growth to them. They have shared with me a wealth of information, knowledge, and wisdom that I feel I wouldn't have today if it were not for that particular team of professors. The two above experiences combine to my final thought. My overall growth as a musician and teacher are owed to both the supportive environement and excellent mentors.

I personally enjoyed the diversity among students. Sexual orientation, racial backrounds, and personal views were all accepted on an equal playing field. I enjoyed observing the respect and equality that has been constantly exchanged. I have found it very refreshing!

erin

there are different ranges of diversity in the classroom in most, which ever your subject of choice, most have different opinions on some of the work also there arent really ig cliques like we had in high school. my classmates all want to get to know each other by the end of the first week of school. most will ask what other class you have and they will give suggestions of teachers or basically give you a heads up on rather or not the class is easy or one that you really have to study for or be there.

What i have gotten out of my college experiences are that i have the tools and technics to make an impact on my field. i believe it is valuable to attend because now we dotn know whats going to happen to our futures, but whatever happens we have something big that we can fall back on that wont have a us worrying about where our next meal will come from. my other experiences are that before i was quiet and kept to close group of people, but this experience allowed me to stand up and let myself have a voice. it gave me the oppurtunity of what i need to do to succeed in life in general and that some arent always on my side and that i cant let those people hold me back in what i believe and what i want out of life. i have lived a life of not having going to school and i found out that i struggled more than i do when i am in school. this has allowed me to get my priorities straight and to focus on what i want for myself.

I think the best thing about my school is that it is very goal orientated. also it has a variety of different programs to choose from. it also has over 150 extra curriculium actvitiies to choose from, it allows you to have life experiences while living in a protected and safe environment. the teachers care about where your heading in life and they will do anything they can to help you succeed in school.

Marissa

My college experience so far as been exciting and rewarding. This is the first time I have been away from home for longer than a week at a time, but living on campus in the dorm is great. I have made so many new friends, especially of the girls on my basketball and lacrosse teams. The girls in my dorm are special. It's like we are all part of a family. If someone needs something, all we have to do is ask for it. I was so scared my first week of school, but the professors and coaches want the students to suceed. That was made evindent when we were told we could go to any of them for extra help or make-up work. I am the fourth child of five and the first to go to college, so I take great pride in what I am doing. I know I have to have a good education in order to have a career later in life, and that is what I want. A career, not just a job.

The location is probably the worst thing about the school. Fredonia is a very small town and there isn't much close to here.

People that are not people-oriented should not go to this school. Everyone here is so nice and get along with everyone. There are so many activities at this school, noone can get bored. The professors and coaches are all very helpful when there's a need.

Kellie

As a graduate student now at a different college, the feeling of Fredonia always stays with me. The college I am at now does not have the atmosphere that Fredonia has, which makes it difficult to feel pride going there. Fredonia is a college that is accepting of all, where there is plenty to do socially, but academics are always top priority. Through my four years at Fredonia I made some ofthe best friendships that I still have today. Many of the friends I made at Fredonia I have travelled with, were in my wedding, and are people I still talk to on a regular basis. The social piece of Fredonia is very welcomed and encouraged. The strategies I learned in my education classes are still strategies I use today with my students in my own classroom. I think that the tools Fredonia gave me to succeed helped me find a job that I have had since I graduated in 2008, and be a successful teacher today. Fredonia taught me how to be the best teacher possible, which in turn, has helped my students succeed greatly.

Fredonia was a very accepting school. Everyone on campus was friendly, including the staff. I felt comfortable being there and never wanted to leave. The four years I was there were the best four years of my life thus far. I would have to say the absolute best part of this school are the friendships you make and the staff.

I feel that everyone is very welcomed and encouraged to come to this school. It is a very diverse school, and everyone can find a group of friends to hang out with. The only people that I think would not feel comfortable are people who really love the city. The closest mall is about 20 minutes away.

Gabrielle

Compared to other schools that I applied to this school was the most GREEN. They are very environmental savy and make sure that everyone is recycling.

Out of my college expierence I have gotten a sense of responsibility and independence. I have learned how to take care of myself and be responsible for my actions, since there is no one here to take care of me. It is valuable to attend college because it teaches you how to become your own person. College is an experience that everyone should embark on especially dorming because you are put into uncomfortable living quarters with random strangers and you learn how to cope and handle different situations.

The worst thing about my school is that there is not surrounding area. There is no real town to relax in when school is not in session.

Jillian

I have learned many things from college so far. First, I learned how to budget my time better. This has become extremely useful in my life outside of school already. Secondly, having to pay for college on my own has taught me the value of a dollar. I no longer spend money on pointless items. I constantly think about if I really need to spend money on an item before I buy it. I also reuse old dresses now instead of buying new ones that I would only wear once. Lastly, college is teaching me how to make decisions and work out problems on my own. I no longer have teachers helping me every step of the way or a friend to guide me through a problem. I am truly learning what it is like to be treated as an adult. Overall, college has had a positive impact on my life.

I always tend to get to know the people that are in alot of the same classes with me or those that sit around me. We usually compare homeworks, make-up lost notes, and stuff. Usually classmates are pretty friendly and easy to get along with.

My college experience consists not only of the knowledge I've gained from the courses I've taken, but the people I have met and the activities in which I participated. I have made so many connections with people from all over the world, including professors and some I call friends. What I find intriguing is how strangers can come together and create something unique or learn something new and grow together. There are so many oppurtunities at hand, one just has to reach out and go for them. I believe my professors are a valuable resource who, when I show interest, will go to great lengths to help me. IIn my opinion the value in any college experience is what one makes of it. It could be the most valuable thing to one and mean nothing to another. I make the most of my college experience and I think one day my education and experiences will take me places.

Anyssa

Choosing a two year community college for my first year of college was the best decision I have ever made. Community colleges do not usually have the best reputations. It is seen as the ?easy? way out, or for the people that did not do all that well in high school. My choice of going to this type of college would not change even if I got accepted into the best well known college! One of the most obvious reasons why community college was so great is because of the cheap tuition. In these economic days it is hard for people, like my parents, to pay for such high expense schools. Community college is about one fourth the costs of a local state college, never mind private college institutions! The one on one small class size made the learning environment comfortable. I learned a ton of interesting facts, and if I did not understand something the teachers would gladly stay after to help. At the community college I was treated as an equal by the teachers. This school helped me gain confidence, self assurance, and maturity. Community college helped steer me into the path of my future career!

Whitney

I have gotten a sense of self-worth, pride, and a boost of self-esteem. It has been valuable to attend because I have learned that just because you think you cannot do something to not give up on yourself, and not to let others get you down. As a single mother, going back to school is a huge accomplishment for not only myself, but my daughter as well. This experience will help provide a better future for us, which I believe is what we all really want in life.

SUNY at Fredonia administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.