Fredonia, NY
SUNY at Fredonia

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY at Fredonia

Alanah

Give yours self time to adjust. If you are having a bad day, remmeber all days are not that bad. I never realized how much responsibility you must take on if you want to stay focused. I would thank my high school teachers for preparing me so well academicly for collage. I would tell myself not to be shy and make more friends. I wish i would make more friends.

How there is not much to do on weekends except party

How good the education department is. How close to home it is.

Marc

To be completely honest, I think I would choose not to tell myself any advice. I have always been able to learn from visuals and pick things up very quickly. If I were to tell myself how things would be in college, I would consider that cheating lifes lessons. It would make things easier but I believe that you need to learn from your mistakes. You can't always have things handed to you, you need to work for them.

The best things would have to be the town and the teachers. The town is gorgeous, with lake erie only a couple miles down the road and a beach to go to. And the teachers are very helpful, always willing to make time to figure things out.

The school is definately harder than a 2 year school. So you will have to put a lot more work forth. Also if you dont like the cold very much, this isnt the school for you, its right next to the lake and you get tons of snow and wind.

Adam

My classmates are a mixed bag. Many are not certain about their career path, others are, but are not certain how to get there. The few that are focused float above the rest. We do our work, we pay attention, we ask questions, we achieve.

If I could travel back in time to tell my high school self what I know now, I would be years ahead in my goals. Identifying what I wanted to do and who I wanted to be was a very time consuming process for me. Out of high school I was sure of only one thing, that I did not want to go to college. Spending money for school was a disgusting thought, I swore it was all a sham to milk kids and their parents out of ludicrous sums of money. That all changed when I got a job as a factory worker. It became clearer by the day of what I wanted to do, and the steps I needed to take to do it. Conversing with my past self, I would make quick work of outlining what's important, and what's not. It almost scares me to think what I could have accomplished with a little bit of focus. Hours of TV could be traded in for priceless life experiences and self improvement. Seeing your future in absolute terms is an ability only privy to the gods, because if knowledge is power, than you would be almighty.

Before coming to this school, it would have been nice to "have a feel" for the teachers. With this information it would have been easier planning which course to take and when. Often, when you get to know a teacher you will want to take more classes that they teach that previously you were not interested in. Also, I would have like to known how going to college "works" before diving head first into it. Specifically, I wish I knew that you could not apply as a freshman after taking just one course at a community college.

Dante

Classmates vary from class to class. In General Education classes they are mostly lazy, rude, and generally disinterested with the subject matter. When you get into the major/core classes the students tend to be more well behaved and more attentive which really helps the learning process especially when you have to work with them on a project.

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to be more serious about my decision making. To make sure I really knew what I wanted to do when applying to colleges and to keep in mind that there are more things out there if you look for them. Also to work way harder because you can't just coast through school/life on smarts alone but have to actually put in hard work to learn anything important. Also to be open to new and different experiences because you need more than book smarts to get ahead in life and those experiences are what enable you to succeed when book smarts doesn't apply. Also while college is not a impossibly hard as some of my high school teachers led me to believe, that to still take what they said to heart and try to apply it to your experiences to get the most out of each.

The meal plan situation. Meals are an alloted $5 however just about everything in the dining hall costs about $4-5 so for the cost of about a meal you're not actually getting a full meal. This leads to you eating way less than you probably should in an effort to conserve your meals so you can eat everyday.

Lucas

Study more for your courses!! In order to pass, you MUST study for each course you are enrolled in. Balancing the social and academic part of college is key in becoming a successful student. Especially if you want to get into grad school, or medical school.

Uptight people that are miserable and do not respond well in social situations.

The people are really outgoing and relaxed. Most everyone i meet is courteous and friendly. Also i tell people about the great education. The Psychology department is a challenging yet exciting course.

Well, first, I would say take a breather Jess! I was so stressed about making the right decision that I barely made time to breath. I would tell myself that everything will work out. Everything happens for a reason and you have time. I would also tell myself to start preparing for my auditions way earlier. I thought I had my monologues set and my questions in order, but if I had made more time, it would have decreased my stress level immensely. I would definitely tell myself to concentrate on enjoying the rest of my high school career because it's all going to the same place. I felt rushed and I could have taken more advantage of my friends and teachers while I still had them. But, overall, I would say that college is just another step and there is nothing to fear. Keep expectations high and it will be everything you can imagine. After all, it's just the beginning.

I believe that a wide variety of people would be very welcome at my college. From outgoing to shy; from the arts to business. It is a diverse campus; sexual orientation and race does not matter. All people are accepted and that is one of the many reasons why I attend now.

The weather! Oy, can you say snow?? haha

Classmates at Fredonia are encouraging to other students in academics and social life, which helps students in making the transition from a high school environment to the heightened standards of college.

Mike, I know how nervous you are about college, you will be fine. You should know some things about this campus, everyone there will like you and accept you for who you are, be yourself. Also the friends you make at Fredonia will be your best source of support (morally, academically, and emotionally) you will ever find and bonds you make will last a lifetime. With grades, don't take getting an "A" as your only goal, understanding the information is just as important. Persue your hobbies, you will find many people on Fredonia's campus who are both willing and helpful in helping you broaden your horizon of skills for potential careers. Keep in mind that the degree you pick to go into Fredonia may not be what is your true calling but never stop going after what you love, these pursuits will be your motivation for the years to come and will be your strongest asset. Never forget where you came from, never give up and never let someone dissuade you from your goal. No matter what happens you will persist and the outcome will make you a stronger person. Good luck and have some fun!

One of the best things about Fredonia's campus is how accepting the campus and its students are of the student body as a whole. This is shown by how the diverse groups on campus (Pride Alliance, Latinos Unidos, Jewish Student Union, etc.,) have joint programs and are well responded to by the student body. Another example was the student body's reaction to an religious extremist who came to campus, the students responded with positive sentiment towards each other which overall strengthened the students acceptance to Fredonia's diversity.

Bethany

The transition from high school to college life is a difficult process, but you are doing a very good job to prepare for it. The work load in college is a lot greater, so it is important that you learn to manage your time effectively. The most important thing I can stress is to get organized: Get a planner, make schedules, write everything down. There is so much going on that it is easy to forget about certain tasks you need to get done. By staying organized you will be on top of everything and it will help keep your schedule balanced. The second most important rule to follow is to never cram for exams! When you know you have an exam coming up, start studying at least 5 days in advance by looking over your notes and quizing yourself at least a little bit everyday. Finally, it is important to remember that the friends you make at college will most likely be the most important ones, but the work needed to get completed will impact you far more in the future. Keep your new friends close, but dont be afraid to put school before them, they will understand.

Anyone who is looking for a great college education and experience without paying a huge price should consider SUNY Fredonia. It is a great place to get introduced to college life, especially after just finishing high school. Fredonia makes the transition from high school to college very easy and enjoyable. A person that appreciates a small town and a small campus will love this school!

SUNY Fredonia is a great school for anyone to attend; however, It is quite small compared to other colleges and universities. I am from a small town and attended a very small high school, so Fredonia is a perfect environment for me. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend this school to students who are looking for a bustling campus life with a large number of students. Also, the community around the school is small and quiet and is not for students who are looking for a city atmosphere.

Adrianna

My school is very diverse and for the most part accepting of everyone, with the exception of a few students here and there who are stuck in their ways and unwilling to accept the differences among others.

I really like the fact that SUNY Fredonia is not a huge campus and is located in a small town with easy accessability to many things such as stores, restaurants, etc.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as I high school senior, I would definitely encourage myself to apply for more scholarships. I now realize how expensive attending college really is and it?s not easy to pay for without receiving any financial aid. Although my financial aid status indicates that my parents make too much money for me to qualify for financial aid, the economy is steadily decreasing and money is becoming tighter and tighter. I am aware that there is always the option to take out student loans, but my parents are strongly against that due to the fact that they want me to be financially stable when I graduate college and not have to pay back money I do not have assuming the availability of jobs is still decreasing. One other thing I would remind myself to do as a high school senior would be to look into community colleges. In my hometown, the community college is much cheaper than SUNY Fredonia and although it may look better receiving my degree from a university, the local community college would be a great place to start while saving up money for the expensive university.

Heidi

The best advice I can give is keep an open mind and apply for everything you can apply for. Knowing everything that's offered by your college will help you down the road when you want to get involved and when you have questions about anything. Understand how you college operates because each one is different. Also apply for every scholarship you're eligible for. College is more stressful than you think so not having to worry about finances is very important. Its helps out your parents tremendously with any free money that you get and listening to your parents is also something you should consider. They've had experiences that you wouldn't believe. They know what they're talking about and your future is important to them so the things they tell you are in your best interest. Make sure you keep an open mind when you walk on that campus and experience all that you can. Try new things, and meet new people. You'll have amazing friends that will do anything for you and you'll learn exactly what you want to do in life while having a great time doing it.

A person who cant set aside time for school and studying. There are a lot of things to do at Fredonia with friends and parties that can distract someone from what's really important. Learning to keep your priorities in order is essential. A person who cant complete their work done during the week and separate school and social activities might have some trouble attending this school so you need to be a good student.

I always talk about the beautiful scenery we have, the clubs and activities that are available to us, and all the amazing people that you meet. You really can find teachers as well as friends that you know you can trust and that will be there for you whenever you need them. We also have so many programs that other schools have never heard of. For example the study abroad program, it's one of the best offered in the state.

SUNY at Fredonia administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.