SUNY at Fredonia Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for SUNY at Fredonia

Jordann

It is in the middle of nowhere and there is not much at all to do around here. The education is decent especially in the music department. Economics and business are not so decent. The food here is horrible but hopefully they will be changing it with the petition that has been going on. There are a lot of clubs and it is pretty easy to make new clubs as well. Not a bad school if you have your own place and or a car.

Tracey

I love it! Best 4 years hands down. It's a great school and has opened a lot of doors for it's graduates.

Tera

Fredonia is a fairly open community that allows you to be the person you want to be, and will help you grow into who you wish to become. You will definitely see some weird things around campus or the town, especially during FredFest, but Fredonia is the place to be.

Kaitlyn

When i first applied to this school, i mainly did it because they offered my major. When i got accepted I could not have been more happy! I accepted the school without doing a tour which kind of scared me a little bit as campus life and size was a big thing for me. When i got here for orientation, i couldn't be more happy with my choice! The campus is an amazing size and is so so beautiful! As a freshman who was moving all the way from Long Island to upstate New York I thought I was going to feel alone but that has not been the case. The environment of the whole campus is safe, welcoming and happy. They have amazing clubs and there is alway something for everyone going on. They have clubs based on so many different subjects and causes. Its amazing. The professors have been very helpful and friendly. I really love this campus and would totally recommend applying, taking a tour or even just hanging out on campus with some students.

Aaron

SUNY at Fredonia is situated in the small village of Fredonia. Some individuals may think that it cramped or not being characteristic of a typical college town where the streets are bustling with activity. Although the village is quiet, there are more than enough activities and events that go on on and off campus. There are clubs, volunteer work, and fun weekend partying where new relationships can develop. The small campus size means that everything is in walking distance; however, when winter comes, the New York snow is everyone's worst enemy. The academic facilities are modern, specifically the 2014 Science Complex. Being a biology major, I am a little biased toward the science department. But the instruments and doctors who teach the classes are all amazing. Most of the professors are friendly; obviously, there are some that students seem to have trouble with enjoying. Class sizes are almost always very small, which for some people, like myself, is awesome. This means that you are able to develop are more intimate relationship with your professors as well as classmates. There are several options for food with the main dining hall usually producing sub par food. Sure, it's edible, but it's not the best. This hall is a great place to meet up with friends and talk as long as you want, however. I am a junior, so I lived on campus for two years. Both years I lived in suite-style buildings, which were tolerable places to live. The rooms are hot during the summer, even with the windows open, but are perfect during the fall and winter times. Off campus housing is much better, as is expected. There are numerous houses and apartments around campus, some closer to campus, some closer to downtown where the clubs and bars are located. The sports atmosphere is not appreciable at all. Hockey and basketball are the two most watched sports, but that's basically it. The majority of attention students focus on is with academics. The fitness center is also a new facility that has everything you need to get in shape. There are three squatting racks/bench pressing stations, which I'm definitely grateful for, especially when the gym gets busy at around 5 p.m. Lastly, the Reed Library is a phenomenal building to meet up with classmates/friends or on your own to study. There's also an extremely helpful and free tutor area on the fourth floor. Overall, my opinion of SUNY Fredonia is a 4/5, with the majority of my points leaning toward the professors and class size.

Jamelia

Welcoming place ! Everyone is so nice and supportive! I love the atmosphere, and the students who make fredonia wonderful! The staff is helpful and has good insight about the Campus of what I need to know. Fredonia has wonderful services such as busing for students in late night hours . It's just a all around beautiful campus along with great people ! I can't wait to contribute my hardwork at Fredonia !! #2021

Richard

SUNY Fredonia is nothing to go crazy about. It was a decent school with a nice campus and extremely friendly people and teachers (within the music department at least). However, if you're looking for a place with activities to go to off campus, you won't find any at Fredonia. Even if you do find something, chances are you'll be buried in three feet of snow by the time you leave. Fredonia is just your typical state school overall.

Mo

Fredonia is a good school, big campus good environment. Everybody friendly its easy to make friends, theres a lot of things you can do on campus and off campus. Parties are okay can be better. The campus is huge, good resources on campus. Everybody here is here to help and make sure you have the best time of your life.

Ashlyn

The teachers clearly care about their students and are always willing to accommodate or help any students who ask. The arts and music departments have all the supplies they need to be successful and the school even supplies you with connections for future internships.

If you're looking for a mid size school with a friendly campus atmosphere Fredonia is the place to be. There is a place for everyone at Fredonia. If partying is your scene there are plenty of open house parties on the weekends as well as plenty of bars downtown. Don't worry if that's not what you're into because there are plenty of other clubs and activities to keep you occupied and make your experience at Fredonia a pleasant one. There is a huge performing arts program at Fredonia and so campus is constantly filled with music and live performances. With a brand new science center, Fredonia is also an amazing place for science majors. Overall Fredonia is just a great place where your friends turn to family and campus turns into your home.

Christy

Perfect fit for me and my major. Fredonia has a very good community as well as a small campus which fits my standards of campus living and not overcrowded. Classes are always fun to go including the professors that are eager to help students and interact.

Salimatou

My overall opinion of SUNY at Fredonia is that it is a great school and a beautiful campus but I wish that there was a football team which will make homecoming games and activities more interesting. But so far this school is great. The professors are respectful towards the students and if you need any help you can sign up for their office hours. Also the students are kind towards everyone and respectful which is a very good thing for any college people go to. So this school is not so bad after all.

Kayal

THIS SCHOOL IS GREAT FOR WHITE PEOPLE. WHILE I ATTENDED, A STUDENT HUNG UP A CONFEDORATE FLAG IN THE COMMON ROOM WITH THE MOST AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALES. EVERYONE ELSE WAS VERY SHUNNING OF ME. EVERY MY GROUP PROJECT PARTENERS IGNORED ME FOR THE OTHER WHITE CLASSMATES. I AM OF AFRICAN DESCENT.

Timicah

The professors and students are all very welcoming and helpful. Students come together to help out each other and campus community when possible. There are lots of great people to meet and the surrounding town area is very friendly. There are over 250 clubs on campus to join so it's very easy to meet new people and find the crowd you fit in best with.

Max

When I first journeyed from the small town of Alden NY to come and study at Fredonia's quaint, yet charming campus, I never realized just how different campus life would be from my previous one at home. As I first came onto Campus, I was a fresh and young face. I was an explorer headed out to virgin tides, I was visiting the New World. I was also in the midst of exiting a relationship with a girl that I thought I'd marry. Of course, this did not go as planned, and during my senior year she decided that she'd rather be with someone else more conveniently on her own campus. Naturally this destroyed me, and I had been burying down a lot of emotions to keep them in check. On the outside I was holding myself together, and coming here for the first few months wasn't hell, but a purgatory in which I would wander forever, keeping all of my emotions inside a thick shell. It was only until I began networking with people on campus that I realized just how lucky I was to land here. I joined the Fredonia Big Band, I joined an Alternative Rock Group, I began singing in College Choir, and I put my nose to the grindstone for my studies. I found a circle of extraordinary friends that I could share my problems with, and they raised me up into a place that I am more comfortable with than ever before. I look forward to spending the next 3 and a half years on campus, and pursuing what I want out of life, being bold, taking risks, and most of all making lifelong connections. Hail Fredonia!

Malik

If you come from a small town/city, you will love it here. I like the accessibility. I can walk from my dorm to all of my classes within five minutes. Also, I like how understanding the professors are. They want to help you, but you also have to want to help yourself.

shakiara

When I arrived at Fredonia I was in awe. That college looks incredible. The dorms were like any other college dorm. The food was lacking in variety, I expected more options than what was offered to me. There was a campus bus that would carry students around from building to building which was really convenient in cold weather. Overall Fredonia is a cool school and I’m ready to attend there in the fall.

Gabriel

Love it there! Most people are very outgoing and make sure to greet you as if you've been friends with them for years :) When I visited Fredonia my first time with my grandma, we were welcomed into the admissions office where they gave me a free shirt and a guide on how to start my success at Fredonia before I was even considering going there.

It Has it’s ups and downs like any school I’ve been out through a lot of pressure but my growth is impeccable. Also there are different clubs catered to a variety of cultures, interests, and passions which is very important. I part take in a major that allows expression but for those who don’t or do it’s very imperative that there are extracurricular to help explore our talents and creativity as more than a student but as an individual.

salvatore

This is a great arts and theater school. The only problem is here is their is nothing to really do outside of the campus. Its Walmart and the bars are the only entertainment here . I mean they have a movie theater that it old and creepy. There are a lot of different clubs to join and activities that go on during the semester. I would recommended it if you are a outgoing person cause you can make a lot of friends. We have a lot of sports teams here. Overall if you find the right people and join the right clubs you could make so many memorizes here. Buffalo is only an hour away so if you wanted to go to the mall it is not that bad of a ride and Erie is 40 minutes away. The best thing here is the creek that everyone goes to hang out and chill with friends.

Evan

My overall opinion of SUNY at Fredonia has its ups and downs. My time there has been rather tumultuous but at the same time I don't want to give it the worst rating possible. As a communication major, I only got along with three professors and a select few students. Most of the department was controlled by ego maniacs who loved certain students. While observing other departments, you can see this reoccurring theme. The only real majors worth going for are the teaching and art departments but I struggle to mention the art departments. The teaching departments are some of the best in the Western New York. The art departments have a strong problem with favoritism and egos. The talented students are usually left behind while the "popular" ones get the limelight, only to fade out once they graduate. This brings up a problem, the campus is too small. SUNY at Fredonia feels like high school all over again, since everyone pretty much knows one another, except most of their students and staff are rude and full of themselves without really accomplishing much in their real life. I do want to stress that there are departments, staffs, and students that make this experience fun and knowledgable but they're not well known, severely unfunded, or left out of most discussions on campus. It doesn't help that the town of Fredonia is depressing and full of drunk losers. You would get incredibly different opinions from probably everybody that attends this college. In this situation, this alumni looks forward to moving on with his masters.

Christina

Could be improved such as on campus housing (affordability and facilities provided), food for students is well below average In quality and freshness. The town of Fredonia does not have much to offer and that’s why this is a huge party school with a lot of drugs and alcohol.