SUNY at Purchase College Top Questions

Daniel

Very liberal. A large LGBT club.

Jonathan

The tuition is much lower than other schools but with a very comparable and progressive program in visual arts. Additionally the atmosphere at Purchase is much better than other schools that I looked at prospectively.

Taylor

Having looked at other schools, SUNY College at Purchase had a lot of student interactives. There were a great deal of clubs, and the clubs were run by the students, instead of faculty. All of the clubs got together about twice a month to discuss things such as a budget, or group interactions.

Christopher

At first the Purchase College campus seems bland and lifeless. However during festivals and events it explodes with life and vigor. The unique combination of the seclusion of upstate New York with the simplicity of a 25 minute train ride to New York City is an incredible bonus. You have the option of relaxing away from the hustle and bustle or immersing yourself in it.

Valerie

Purchase has amazing and presitigious conservatories for the arts, that, along with its proximity to Manhattan makes it the perfect school to study and actually learn design/technology.

Kathryn

It has one of the most rigorous conservatories in the nation. The teachers are all excellent.

Dante

It's a mix of artistic conservatory and non-conservatory students who are able to collaborate on all sorts of extra-curricular projects, such as plays, short films, and music.

Jonathan

It's artistic, affordable, and relatively diverse for a state school. You attract a decently broad variety of students to the campus, and there is a strange sense of commradery as well amongst the student population.

Courtney

We have a lot of varieties of art performances, such as dance, installations, performance art, new media work, and all kinds of music acts. Mostly everything is student run, we have new clubs starting up every semester; we even have a "cheese club". We have a completely student run television station where students volunteer and make their own tv shows or intern and work behind the scenes. We also have a co-op that started out as a student project and is all volunteer. Not to mention Culture Shock and Zombie Prom...

Jared

SUNY Purchase is a very arts based school. Most of the students in and out of the conservatories have an interest or an investment in the arts, wether it be music, dance, literature, performance, or the plastic arts. It is also very liberal with a rather decent sized gay community and although small and not in a college town New York City is nearby and fairly accessible. Overall it has a more creative liberal feel to it than most schools.

Matt

If you are student who likes living in a diverse community with other students who take their work seriously, then Purchase is for you! Just remember, college is not what people say it is, it's what YOU make of it. The more clubs and activities you are involved with, the happier you will be and the better experience you will have.

Tate

If you can and want to work really hard and meet interesting people then this could be the perfect fit for you.

Melissa

Everything is so diverse at Purchase. The students, the faculty, the clubs, and the food. We are all laid back, eco friendly, wanting the save the world students. The classes are small so you get a lot of one on one time with your professors.

i went to sarah lawrence college for my freshman year and the attitude of the students was appauling. the students were pretentious and uninviting. i transfered to purchase and ive made some wonderful friends through classes or just meeting them through friends or on campus activities. the students have formed tight knit groups through their similar interests, though they will always willingly be introduced or introduce themselves to other students which makes the atmosphere light and inviting.