SUNY at Purchase College Top Questions

SO many clubs including Latinos Unidos, SOCA, Cheese Club, among others

Cheese club, nerf guild, Lit society, shows at the "stood"/student center

Lots of music groups: Bands, etc. No frats at all. Partying is common on the weekends and there are some people who party all week long.

Sophie

There are hundreds of active clubs at Purchase College. Some of the biggest organizations on campus are: GLBTQU (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Union), SOCA (Students of Caribbean Ancestry), and Latinos Unitos. These clubs throw HUGE dance parties on the weekends - usually with a DJ. The Dance Conservatory has dance shows just about every weekend in the Dance Theater Lab. Most performances are free; some have a suggested donation of a few dollars. Every fall we have Fall Ball, which is a dance in which the attendees cross-dress and there is a big Drag Show. In the Spring we have Zombie Prom - which is exactly what it sounds like - and Culture Shock - a huge two-day concert held outside, complete with popular bands, activity tents, and fried Oreos. Fall Ball, Zombie Prom, and Culture Shock are three of the biggest annual events we have on campus. At the end of every semester, there is Pancake Madness, in which the faculty serves free breakfast to students the night before finals start. There are often speakers that come to talk at Purchase. All year we have Talk Cinema. At Talk Cinema, students get to preview a movie that has not yet been released, followed by a question and answer session with someone who worked on the film. In the spring, there is a set of Science in the Modern World lectures that is available for free to all students.

The biggest and oldest group on campus is LGBTQU (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Queer Union). Other very popular groups are the feminist organization F.O.R.T.H., L.U., S.O.C.A., Hip hop club, Cheese club, Nerf club, and more. I'm involved with LGBTQU, a sub group of LGBTQU that I co-founded called Complexuality, thepurchasebrick.com (our online news source), and I have attended several events for other clubs. The clubs on campus are crucial to a students experience because you get to meet people who have the same interests and passions that you do. Students should never leave their doors open, which is the case in any school. The crime rate isn't exponential, but it happens. Athletic events aren't as popular as other campuses, but don't let the school stereotypes fool you because we are pretty good in some cases such as, basketball. There are incredible guest speakers all the time for lectures and meet and greets. This school is pretty well connected. The theater is one of the best parts about Purchase. There are shows going on of all types both musically, acting, or art. Our performing arts center and dance building are both great locations to see things, but there are other locations such as Humanities buildings theater. Students are constantly showing off their talent especially, senior projects, and there are professional pieces and shows done as well by off campus companies. The dating scene is tough depending on if you're picky. There aren't that many available heterosexual men on campus, but the gay scene is out of this world. If you're up at 2 am on a Tuesday you are either partying because you don't have Wednesday classes ( a lot of underclassmen don't), or you're hanging out unless it's finals. There are SO many traditions at Purchase and some of the best ones are Pancake Madness where there is a party thrown during finals in the dining hall where professors make breakfast, Fall Fest (the mini culture shock), and Culture Shock, which is a huge music festival. People party a lot on the weekends and it's a misconception that there is no social scene. The apartments and clubs always have something going on, but there is always something to do for people that don't party. There are no frats or sororities on campus and thank god because it would ruin the atmosphere here. When people go off campus it's either to the movies, shopping, the bars, or the city.

Getting involved in student activities and groups is very important in getting to know people at Purchase! The most popular groups and organizations on campus are definitely the LGBT group on campus, Latinos Unite, the school newspaper (the Brick and The Independent) the Coop and the Student Government Association. The students are very involved on campus and plan most of the big events! The club scene is very important. I am strongly involved in the Coop on campus. The Coop helps plan big events on campus and serves coffee and cookies as well. It is where many student musicians have the chance to play and show off their talents. It is a very important club to me and I have met so many interesting people being a part of it. I met my closest friends through living on campus in the dorms. I met my best friend from my freshman year suite and met my other close friends from there in the dorms as well. The Resident Assistants plan events for the freshman where I was also able to meet many of my very close friends who I still have to this day. My friends and I spend so much time together, even at 2am on a Tuesday night! We watch movies, order food, and just enjoy each others company. That's what college is all about! The best place to party and have fun that doesn't involve drinking is definitely the on-campus events. There is always something clean and fun to be a part of, whether its watching a show, listening to a band, or a black light dance party hosted by one of the student organizations! Off campus there are also so many awesome and fun night clubs, bars, restaurants, and comedy clubs. New York City is also only a 40 minute train ride away! There is always something to do!

alex

The first ever meeting of SUNY Purchase's Stephen Colbert Appreciation Club...

If I am awake at 2am, I am most definitely doing homework (and trust me, there are many nights when I am up this late........ This is college). What I love about Purchase is that all my professors demand so much of me. They challenge each student to work to the best of his or her ability. If I have to stay up till 2am to write a 12 page paper, then that's what I'm going to do. Mind you, I would not let your friends know....... they might think your a bit of a geek....... mine do....

Brendan

Since the students make up at least 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of "what Purcahse is" it should come as no shock that our social lives are mega super awesome sweet. We're all about free entertainment here... we have the greatest bands come through our Student Center, aptly named THE STOOD, we have random events like PANCAKE MADNESS where our teachers serve our students breakfast at 12:00am, and other amazing feats of anti-boredom like a 200ft. slip and slide that we had at the beginning of this year, sided with (of course) free snow cones. We're pretty rad like that.

We have a really great student government that's active on campus and passionate about serving the student body. Along with the plethora of clubs and organizations, the PSGA puts forth really great student programming - like Culture Shock and Zombie Prom, as well as great shows at the Student Center, and opportunities for volunteering and activism.

Lots of clubs and organizations, music shows all throughout the week and on weekends, open mic nights, sports teams, parties at the on-campus apartments, movie screenings, lectures, plays, close access to NYC, White Plains, and Port Chester.

Tate

Latinos Unidos, Students of Carribean Ancestry, Cheese club are all places where you can meet people and have fun.

Vick

1. Latinos Unidos has up to 40 or 50 students attend their organization each week. 2. If you are awake at 2am you are probably talking outside with friends, skateboarding, riding a bike, searching for food, or doing homework.