SUNY at Purchase College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Artsy fartsy hipster - accurate

The stereotype is that there are a lot of gay people at my school. This isn't entirely true, we have people of many different sexualities and gender identities at Purchase! Purchase is much more welcoming of diversity than other schools, which is why we've gained the reputation of having a lot of LGBTQU people at school. We can't help it if people are comfortable here.

Sophie

One stereotype is that Purchase College is all art freaks. While we do have a very prominent arts department, we also have Division III athletics and an amazing science program. As far as sports go, we have varsity teams such as baseball, basketball, men's and women's volleyball, track and field, swimming, and more. As for of our science department - 85{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of our pre-med graduates go on to get into the top med-school of their choice. This is compared to the national average of 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. I myself am a Liberal Studies student, and I enjoy every minute of my time on campus.

There are numerous stereotypes at SUNY Purchase, but they mainly consist of clicks of dancers, hipsters, and stoners. There is also a stereotype that Purchase is a gay school in the sense that there is a large LGBTQ population. These stereotypes are all taken at face value, and can be true in cases, but not in an overwhelming sense. The reality is that Purchase could be more diverse, sure, but the community is open minded and tightly knit at large.

There are a number of different stereotypes at SUNY Purchase College. The students are mostly stereotyped as very artsy and creative. Students are also stereotyped as very flamboyant because the homosexual ratio at Purchase College is rather high. The students are sometimes stereotyped as a bit weird and "over the top." These are a number of different stereotypes that I had heard about before attending Purchase. When I got there and became mixed in with the student population I learned that these stereotypes were rather accurate. I absolutely love it and I love how different the students at Purchase are from other college students. You can truly be yourself.

Aiyana

The typical Purchase Student is viewed as being an artistic hippie-like free spirit. The students here are thought to be very liberal, very open-minded, and very creative in terms of their personal expression. This stereotype is fairly accurate to describe a large part of the students on our campus. However, the school has become more and more diverse as the years go along. There are students that represent all parts of the political spectrum, who represent more than just an artistic nature. Anyone can find somewhere to fit in at Purchase, no matter how you choose to express yourself.