SUNY at Purchase College Top Questions

Amazing conservatories in ALL areas including dance, visual arts, acting, music, film, etc.

Sophie

I love my school. I went into the college search knowing I wanted a small liberal arts college and Purchase was perfect for me! The student body is small and friendly. All the different departments are friendly with each other, and often form collaborations, which I think is so cool. It's only a short (and free!) bus ride to White Plains, which is a nearby college town. The train also takes you to NYC - it's great being so close to the city. Purchase has a VERY diverse student body including students from different states, countries, financial situations, family lives, etc. There are students of different races, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, and political affiliation.

For the most part I absolutely love Purchase. It was a life savor and completely unexpected for me. I transfered here from The Culinary Institute of America, and I can't say enough how much of an upgrade this was. These four years have been the most exciting, exhausting, interesting, and unforgettable years of my educational career. Hands down the best part of Purchase is the people and the uniqueness. I guarantee you that there is no other school that is like Purchase. Whether you're talking about the fashion, or activities there is always something weird, unusual, or extreme to experience. Don't worry, you don't have to be overwhelmed because there are people that just want to relax and the Wellness center is a great resource for stress. There are a few things I would like to change about Purchase, but my biggest problem with the school is how disorganized admissions is. I'm refering to transferring credits, registering for classes can be a nightmare, and sometimes you have to talk to more than one person to get the right answer. Purchase is small, but I wouldn't change the size. The size of the student population definitely positively affects the atmosphere. Surprisingly, you still won't know everyone no matter how involved you are. When I tell people that I go to Purchase they either don't know what it is, they bring up a stereotype, or they say they heard it was cool and artsy. The school is definitely cool and artsy. Purchase doesn't have a college town, but you have a free bus that takes you into White Plains, which has everything you will need including access the city. Professors here are generally genuine, amazing, caring, and well educated. A lot of them are even fun. I have made some great relationships with professors that I know will help me in the long run and I will always cherish them. There is always controversy at Purchase because students constantly speak there mind. I would say most recently the biggest controversy was the fight between the feminist club on campus and the hip hop club. They were arguing over a performer for our huge Culture Shock, which is a reason to come here in itself. It's like a mini Woodstock. Purchase has a lot of pride whether it's with are popular events, wearing Purchase gear everywhere, or attending games. 9 out of 10 students would probably say they love Purchase. There are too many good and bad memories that I have from Purchase, but I will never forget my first day at Purchase. I made an enormous amount of friends that day just by hanging out in the quad where people were siting in a huge circle playing instruments, sharing stories, and smoking hookah. The biggest complaints from students are how annoying registration is, that the shuttle can be unreliable, and that the construction is never ending. However, I am so thankful that I got to experience my college years at Purchase. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I absolutely LOVE Purchase College! There are so many different things which I love about my college. However, the best thing about Purchase is that you can be yourself and don't have to change for anybody. Purchase truly lives up to its slogan "Think Wide Open" because the students truly do think wide open and accept everyone for who they are. I love how I can act myself. I have learned so much about myself and what kind of person I want to be at Purchase. However, one thing that I would change about Purchase is the living situation. Unfortunately, the dorms and apartments are very old and a bit falling apart. Renovations definitely need to be done. When searching for colleges I always new that I wanted to go to a small school. Purchase is very small in comparison to other colleges. However, it is the perfect size for me. I love how I always see a familiar face when walking to class each day. I spend most of my time on campus with my best friends in the quad or in the student center. There are always people hanging out and new people to meet. Purchase also has so much school pride! What is so great about the students at Purchase is that we all share such a common love for the school we go to. We are always celebrating Purchase and its amazing diversity. We always celebrate the talent of the students and the differences. The administration at Purchase has always been very helpful. They are always there when you need them or have any questions. I have never had a problem. One experience at Purchase which I will always remember is Zombie Prom of 2010. This was when I realized how much I loved this school and how much it has changed me as a person. Zombie Prom is my favorite event at Purchase where the students dress up as zombies and just dance the night away. Purchase is so unique and has so many unique events and clubs for students to get involved in and have an amazing time. These events are the nights which I will always remember.

One experience that I'll always remember occured last month at Starbucks. I was drinking a cup of peppermint chocolate mocha coffee (that's what it's called.... literally) and writing a paper for International Relations when my history professor came over and asked if he could sit with me. I mean, most students only hope their professors remember their name when being approached, but he knew my name and he asked to sit with me. I was practically sweating, trying to concentrate on my paper, but at the same time thinking "oh my G-d, he's sitting next to me!" He asked me how I liked Purchase and if I had any post graduate plans. For the next hour or so, he gave me all these great tips about applying to graduate school. I think it's safe to say that we learned a lot about eachother. What I'll always remember about this is that Professors at Purchase really do care about the students. They really try to commit themselves as much as possible to getting to know each and every one of them. Anyway, whenever I see him outside of class we always say to eachother, "remember Starbucks?" and both end up laughing. It's an awesome thing getting to know your professors! Just go to Starbucks.......... You never know who might show up............

Brendan

Our school is about 4,000 kids, and I think that's just swell. The student to faculty ratio is about 17 students to 1 teacher... I think that's a big draw here. I've encountered very few teachers who are here just to teach as opposed to sharing what they LOVE. So, yeah, that's a cool aspect about are campus. It's all about the love.

Purchase's location - in proximity to New York City is one of the great things about it. It's super easy to jump on the train and spend the afternoon or the weekend in the city. But we also have tons of really great stuff going on on campus as well. We have the best events - Culture Shock (a huge two-day music festival in the spring) Zombie Prom (super-fun and super-spooky dance party where everyone re-creates their best zombie get-up) and Pancake Madness!(which is a dance party/pajama party to kick off Finals week, where the faculty and staff serve you breakfast food and you can get free tshirts and other stuff)

This school is really awesome for someone who loves both academics and art...but you don't have to love art to come here! In general, it's a really close-knit and comfortable environment and because there are only about 4,000 students, it's really easy to make friends fast. At the same time, it's not too small, so it's not like being in high school again. People are really open and fun!

Tate

It's not a school with a lot of bells and whistles. We don't always have the newest equipment. However we do offer something most schools can't. That thing is very genuine people. Everyone here is dedicated and down to earth who are interesting and exciting. You most definitely will not find the mix of people you'll find here at any other school. It's a very accepting and open atmosphere that I don't think you'll find anywhere else.

Vick

1. Purchase has about 5,000 students this year. The class size ranges from 1 professor to 17 students and lecture classes go up to 1 professor to about 90 students. 2. I'll always remember RAVIEW, which is a show the RA's (residential assistants) put on for the freshmen to introduce us to Purchase. It addresses Purchase stereotypes, facts, and experiences through singing, dancing, acting, poetry, and more!

I chose purchase because of its location, size and outstanding film program. Purchase is located 30-45mins from NYC by train. This makes it easy for students to utilize the city without having to live in it. Having NYC so close also allows Purchase to hire expert professors who are still working professionals in their chosen fields.