SUNY at Purchase College Top Questions

College is a nice place. There isn't any adjustment needed. It is like summer camp for the first few weeks, so enjoy it.

Make sure you are ready for the commitment. Eng 101 is no joke, this is your future you are preparing for, think about your choices and talk to others before you jump in. Dont presure yourself to pick a major your first semester. Take classes that interest you and your major will find you. Use the resources avaliable to you like the advisors and tutoring. Always ask questions this is a skill that will help you in life. The best teachers in life want to answer your questions and want to participate in your education. Also keep up on core classes dont wait untill the end, it ruins the fun in the experiance. Try your best and stop to apreciate all your hard work and how far you have come.

Julien

I would tell myself not to be scared to take as many credits as possible. When I started College I was scared to have too much work and not have time to finish everything within the deadlines, as the result I took less credits that I could have. However I learnt that I am in college to take challenges not to be scared of them. When entering college I chose of my field because it is something I like doing and having a lot of work in what you enjoy is simply having more to enjoy. Another thing I learned is that challenges are what will make you better and more interested in the subject you are learning so why should you limit yourself. Fear of the work isn't the right attitude when you go to College, instead you should be exited, motivated and ready to do your best in what you want to become in the future.

Sophie

I made a lot of mistakes during the college application process and throughout my transition into college. I didn't pay enough attention to the financial aspect of my options. I limited myself to schools that were close to home so I wouldn't have to go too far outside my comfort zone. I went to the same school as my boyfriend (I said he had nothing to do with the decision, but I really don't know if I would have made a different decision if he wasn't in the picture). I took classes that were too early in the morning. I could go on; but I wouldn't change any of it. All of those mistakes I made led me to the place I now occupy and the person I have become, and I'm happy. I'm learning and growing and figuring out what I want to do with my life precisely because I made (and continue to make) mistakes. So I wouldn't go back in time and give my past self advice. I may not have known what I was doing, but I did just fine anyway.

Penelope

First of all, drop the boyfriend. Second, you're way too judgmental. Yet I can’t really blame you, as the last two years have felt like a blur of perpetual judgment. Since you began the college admissions process, not a moment has passed without someone, somewhere judging you-- judging your grades, your after-school activities, your financial situation and standardized test scores. All your choices leading up to the present point are being evaluated by faceless administrators across the country with the power to determine your entire future. They aren’t the only ones judging you, as every new development in the college process will be quickly assessed by your family, friends, and teachers. When a classmate gets into a school that you didn’t, the judgment of everyone feels palpable. Applying to college can feel like running a race, with clear winners and losers. But here’s what I wish I knew: It’s not a competition. Nothing is, not the college application process or your life. There is no sure way to measure success or happiness, nor are they equivalent. Do what makes you feel good, and forget what others might think.

Look at scholarships just as much as you did schools, the cost is really high especially for the top schools you're going to be looking at. Also look at studying either abroad or oversea entirely. Purchase isn't for you, you're going to end up transfering, you might be better off taking a semester off or a whole year. Make sure you stay motivated and inspired, your work will reflect it if you don'. Your portfolio is strong however it could be a lot better and you know it; work a lot harder on it. Friends are fun but school, art and scholarships are much more important because they'll matter down the road unlike people in the present. Lastly always work progressively and have a goal.

Sequoia

Dear Senior-Me, You've been through so much in your life and you've accomplished nearly everything you put your mind through. College isn't going to be like high school, you're not going to have as much help and you're going to need to really buckle down and ask for help when you need it. Ask your elders for advice because they've been through the hoops and all they want to do is help you on your path. It's not silly to not understand, but it is silly to make life harder for yourself. Don't paint yourself into a corner because you're too shy to ask questions. If you need help in a class, contact your teacher or the tutoring center if you have trouble in a class. Rome wasn't built in a day, nor was it built by one person.

Kadijah

I’ll tell myself to go to college right after high school, never take out any loans, and apply for as many scholarships as possible. First, I would go to college right after high school. Maybe by now I would have been established with my career. My career choice was to be a Registered Nurse. This is what not listening to my mother got me… In 2007 I tried to attend a one year vocational college for a medical assistant certificate. When I completed the program I was left jobless. In 2009 the school closed and I found out from my credit report that the 1 year program took out 5 loans on me, and 2 grants. I would inform myself on and about scholarships. If I would have applied scholarships to my education the first time, I would not be in debt this time. I don’t think I was not properly informed on how to go about applying. All that will change once I educate myself on the topic. Lastly, if I went to college after high school and never took out any loans I would be debt free. I’ll have my scholarships to thank for that!

I would tell myself to stop stressing out so much over college. Yes, it is a big part of my life and it is a huge transition, but that does not mean that I should spend most of my time worrying about how different things are going to be. It also doesn't mean that I should bring all of my belongings to live in a dorm. I would tell myself to relax a little more and enjoy my last time at home with my high school friends, and let college happen when it does.

As a high school senior, I thought I knew it all. I knew exactly what I wanted, where I wanted to go, and who I wanted to be. It turns out that I really didn't know any of those things. Making the transition into college wasn't that big of a deal, or that difficult. But the time before that was very dificult. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself that everything happens for a reason. Things may not always go the way you planned, and things may not always be perfect, but learn to be versatile. Learn to accept and move on. Don't sweat the small stuff. There will be plenty more to stress about later in life. Where you are right now is not something to go crazy over. You will succeed and go on to do great things. Make the best of every situation that you can, and the outcome will be better than expected. I promise.

I would tell myself to pursue anything artistic in my last year. That way, when I'm surrounded by all of the talented artists at my school, I won't find myself so lacking in creative skills, like I did when I first arrived at Purchase.

Don't be afraid. The college life might seem imposing or scary, but it’s not that bad. It’s a lot like high school in fact. There’s nothing too terrifying or severe. Everything moves along at a gradual pace, and you will be prepared for everything that you have to go through. There aren’t huge surprises or blindsided attacks. It all will come naturally to you, with time. I would also say work hard. Eventually, you’ll graduate from college, and be out in the big world. You need to work hard, learn various skills, and make business connections. It’s hard to think about that sort of thing when you’re in college, but you always need to plan ahead.

Yael

I attend Purchase College as a dance major and the dance conservatory is one out of the top ten in the world. I feel that the program is strong and that it prepares me well for the real world. The campus community is active enough for me personally, but I like a slightly more quiet campus. The campus community activities that are most successful are, unsurprisingly, arts centered, especially gigs or dances in the student center. Academically, all of the tools are there, the student work ethic in my opinion is not as high as I would like it to be. I enjoy the academic opportunities I have that I can take advantage of. I take courses outside of my major that interest me. At times there are scheduling difficulties, but I am still almost completely capable of taking the courses that I want. I feel that the social community is vibrant, there is a lot of academic potential in the school and the artistic opportunities both inside and outside of the classroom are vast and numerous. I know that I wouldn't be happier anywhere else.

Faith

When I was first accepted into SUNY College at Purchase I felt that I knew nothing and everything. By attending this school I feel that I have been able to grow as an adult: I have new interactions that no longer consist of play-dates or chatting on the bus. From my professors I have learned to analyze current events and now have a clearer understanding of American society as it deals with itself and the international community. Through various tests and papers I have learned how to formulate more concise and eloquent arguments and through the errors pointed out by my professors I have found what I need to improve as far as my academic skills. I have met young men and women with backgrounds far different than my own and realilzed that we are all human, no matter where we come from or how we grow up and as such we have a responsibility to keep learning about one another in order to better interact on all levels of society. Though I have been at school only a short time, I feel confirmed in my intended career and hope to work in international relations in the future.

I have spent the past two years at Pima Community College pouring my heart and soul into my education. Although I have had incredibly wonderful teachers, the most important things that I have taken away from the experience are that one must be self reliant and self motivated. Organization and time-management skills are mutually important for success as a college student. The skills I have developed at college are not limited to technical knowledge in specified fields, but extend into critical thinking and problem solving skills that are extremely beneficial in every faucet of life. In addition to the development of those important skills, college has instilled in me a sense of wonder about the world that I have never known before. If I were to not be in college, I would still spend the forty hours or more a week studying that I do currently. Once my eyes were opened to how much I do not know and how much the world is in need of people to stand up and be proactive, I can see no other way that I would rather be living my life other than to strive toward a better world.

Rose

I can see the change in myself from when I entered Purchase College to now, my junior year. I have grown and matured an amount that is almost unbelievable. I look back and cringe at my awkward self that entered the brick campus two and half years ago and then see myself now--I can hold a conversation with a stranger now (a feat that sent me cowering in high school). I went into college undeclared--the prospect of picking one course for my future that early scared me. I had absolutely no notion whatsoever what I could possibly be interested either. Teachers told me that I didnt have to pick my future just yet, but not having any focus, I felt lost. Sophomore year I took an anthropology class not really knowing what anthropology even was. What I found was my passion. I realized that everything anthropology had to offer was everything I was unconsciously looking for. Now, I can see a can see a path, even if it is not crystal clear yet. I really owe Purchase College for these two, well, life changing opportunities.

College has given me an important life goal to work towards and a sense of value in my life. It has turned my passions and hobbies into potential career avenues, which in turn motivates me to continue my education as far as possible. College has also been a large financial hardship. This has helped me grow into a responsible adult, learning how to manage my money, time, and work load in ways that benefit me most. College made me look to the future and plan. Plan what I wanted to be, where I wanted to go, and how I was going to reach my goals. I became a more confident person during my educational pursuits thanks to the challenges and accomplishments along the way. My college experience has opened doors that might have otherwise remained lock, which is a great value that will serve me throughout my career as well as my life.

I received a necessary degree that will allow me to pursue my future educational goals. In addition to this I also was able to hone my artistic skills, within the sculpture department. Throughout my time at Purchase College I was able to complete a number of bronze casts and many other metal sculptures. This access to the facilities necessary for the creation of art enhanced my college experience and my artistic portfolio. Within my legal studies classes I discovered a strength and aptitude for understanding and interpreting the law. Without the support and encouragement of the knowledgeable professors I never would have realized this talent. I have developed an interest in the law and wish to pursue higher understanding of it.

I loved my college because I was surrounded by artistic people that I could relate to on a day to day basis. It was amazing to walk around and see people drawing and painting and music issuing through the halls. The teachers were easily accesable and the art history program was extremely amazing and educational.

Valerie

In my freshman year alone, I was able to get back stage of three major Broadway musicals and meet a bunch of working professionals just by saying I'm a design/technology major at SUNY Purchase. I can't wait to get out into the professional world because I know this school prepared me to be one of the very few people who gets to work on these amazing productions.

Bree

I attended Marymount Manhatten College in New York City last year and it was then that I realized what I really needed and wanted. I valued my time at Marymount but I came to the conclusion that I needed to be in a more focused environment and needed to be surrounded by dancers who were as passionate about dance as I am. This is not to say I didn't learn a lot not only about myself but my dancing at Marymount I just know that SUNY Purchase is a better fit for me. Purchase is a conservatory program whereas Marymount is not, Purchase is also located outside of the city in Purchase, NY providing me with a more student friendly and accessable campus. Thus far I have gotten so much out of my college experience, most importantly I found myself and really asked myself is this where I will thrive the most and be happy for my remaining years to come here? After realizing that Marymount was not the perfect fit for me I decided wo take matters into my own hands and in doing so have been accepted and will attend a great program at SUNY Purchase.

The three most valuable pieces of advice I could give to my younger self are: 1. Find money for college, 2. Don?t let a love problem control all aspects of your life and 3. Get a handle on strategic time management. Throughout my senior year of high school I was constantly told to come up with ways to help pay for higher education by looking for potential scholarships, applying for those scholarships, saving up money from work, and working more to save more. This good advice I didn?t pursue. I felt that personal problems were more important. Most important was my love life, which boiled down to one thing: I was fixated on my first love and needed to wake up. If given the opportunity now, I would explain to my younger self that love problems are uncontrollable. Your time would be best spent performing necessary tasks that are in your control, such as applying for scholarships and working more. College is a tremendous life change where only you control your life. Learn how to manage your own time wisely; I would say to my younger self.

Oh honey, relax! You have your whole life in front of you. The decisions you make today will only play a small part in your future. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Trust me, you'll make them anyway. There is a power greater than you with you every step of the way. She's got your back - and she wants you to enjoy every moment of your life...the not-knowing, the heartache, the exhilaration of leaving home for the first time, etc. You are safe. Even when you feel alone and scared she will be there. You can ask for her comfort, too. But most importantly, believe in yourself. This is a tough time for everyone. I know you are filled with doubt but you are extraordinary. You are going to bring so many beautiful things to people. The loveliest of these things will be you. You are a gift. Treat everyone around you like they are a gift, too. And finally, take a moment each day to say thank you...going to school is a gift too. Oh yeah, and call your mother...she'll miss you like hell.

Consider what you could really see yourself doing as a job for the rest of your life that will make you happy, and really explore different options of affordable schools that could get you there. I was in a Liberal Arts college for two years because I could not afford the inital arts college that I applied for. Instead of shopping around to find simpler and more afforadable options, I ended up going to a local school and taking random classes until I discovered Purchase College as a place that I could get the degree I want for 20,000 a year instead of the 40,000 most private schools charge. Also, really push yourself to apply for scholarships no matter how tedious the process can be, because the amount of debt I will be dealing with after having completed 6 years of college will be lingering as a constant struggle for a large part of the rest of my life. Other than that, make sure you go out there and push yourself to meet new people and have fun, because the friends you meet in college are the ones that will be with you every step of the way.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would first assure my earlier self that I was not of alien origin, his evil twin coming to kill him, a magician, or a demon in disguise to steal his soul, because with the overactive imagination and the "anything is possible" attitude I've always had would definitely rear it's ugly head if I saw my double. The second thing I would tell myself is to never lose sight of who you are and your beliefs. You meet alot of people in college, some of them not being such good people. People who look down upon others because of their race, gender, background, personality quirks, or culture. I would be inclined to remind myself that people are living in fear of human interaction and connecting with other human beings because they are scared of being themselves due to the everyday societal pressures that grow heavier in a rapidly growing and evolving American culture. I would say "Joshua, can you remind everyone in the future that everyone is beautiful in their own way, I don't want them to forget."

Serra

If I could give myself advice about college, I would tell myself to consider more possibilities. When I was looking at colleges I had some dreams and ambitions about my future in art, but I never thought I would work toward them in a college program. After I took some general education courses last semester I realized that studying art was exactly what I should be doing in school. If I had considered this possibility my senior year in high school I would have researched more schools and given myself more choices. Considering all fields of interest is important when you're making a decision as big as which college to invest yourself in. I would also tell myself to consider staying within my home state. I didn't research very much within Connecticut and may have found that there was more opportunity for scholarships and grants. Overall, I think the path I took has worked for me, and that the experience has made my decisions more rewarding. If I had known everything I know now, I may not have ended up feeling as in-control of my education as I do now.

I would simply tell myself to RELAX! There is extreme amounts of pressure and nerves that face a senior in high school. I felt like I was making the biggest decision of my life and that if I made a wrong choice my life would come crashing down. As I went away to school my worries melted away and I just adapted to everything so smoothly. There is no way to completley prepare yourself for the first year of college, you just have to go with the flow. Looking back on my first semester it seems that I was really so afraid for nothing. So if I could go back I would just tell myself to take a deep breathe and focus on the here and now. The future is important, but everything happens for a reason. What is meant to be, is meant to be.

Applying to college is scary, but it's the easy part once you're there. You'll go through your first few years without much to worry about and then suddenly it hits you that you're about to be thrown headlong into the "real world" with no idea how to handle yourself. College can only do so much; there's a lot you're going to have to figure out on your own. That's why living on campus is so important...you meet different kinds of people--the ones you'll love and the ones who make you squirm--every day, and you learn how to work with them. You can't learn that in a classroom. You only have one shot at this. Don't hold back. If you want to apply somewhere, DO IT. Don't avoid schools that could be incredible places because you think you might not be able to afford it. Who knows what can happen? I'm so, so happy where I am, and I know I made the right choice, but there's a part of me that regrets not reaching just a little bit higher. You should have no regrets.

Kelcie

You cannot know everything about the college you choose, even if you spend months finding everything you can about a certain school, you will never know how it actually will be when you get there. That said, don't be afraid to take a risk. You are not locked in to the first school, and after spending a year there, you become better informed and are able to make a different decision, if that's what you want. Some people, like me, felt obligated to get out of my home state for college. I thought that I would not get the full experience if I stayed close to home, but I realized that college itself is a completely different experience no matter where you are. If you live on campus, your life will be transformed, even if you only live a few blocks from your parents' house. Finally, stay overnight at least a day with a current student of the college you are interested in. Guided tours give little insight into what your life will be like at that college, but an overnight stay will show you what students do with their free time, how much work they have, etcetera.

Elyssa

It is January 30, 2010. I walk into my dorm and crawl sleepily into bed after a long day. As I begin to doze off I think about my life and how I got to where I am today and think if only... I wake up to the sound of my alarm going off. I pick up the alarm to silence it and notice the date- February 1... 2009? I'm very confused. Then I realize- I'm not in my dorm, I'm in my room at home! I look over at my nightstand and notice a pile of college acceptance letters. Then I remember that in this time of 2009 I haven't decided what school to go to yet. Knowing what I know now, I quickly write a note telling my past self to pick a school because you really want to go there, not because your friends are going. Make sure it is one you will be happy at. When you get there, take chances, join clubs and do new things. BRRRRIIIINNNGGGG!!!!! I wake up to the sound of my alarm going off and happily walk out of my dorm to start a new day.

Hey man, wassup? Haha, yeah I know; I remember! Listen, you're awesome. You've done so well and you are going to do very well after high school too. Just keep in mind your favorite quote: The greatest risk is not taking one. That will help you with so many of your endeavors and it will also help you with many of the difficult situations you will face. Fear is natural, but dont give in to it and never be afraid to try something new! Keep your mind open for compassion, learning, sympathy, and excellence. And before anything else, "to thine own self be true". See ya soon ;-)

Virginia

If I could go back in time the one peice of advice I would give myself is to never let anyone tell myself that I can't do anything, or to let other people make me feel inferior. The greatest lesson I've learned is I decide who I am, and I would tell myself I'm capable of this, that ultimately I decide who I am and what and where I go. That my own hard work, passion, and determination will accomplish my goals; and that no one can give or take that away from me.

Valentina

The best advice I can give myself is thats its a crazy world out their. Your gonna hit a bunch of rocky roads but if you stay commited and belive that anything is possible you will achieve anything.

Dante

I would grab my shoulders, shake myself, and scream, "Snap out of your nihilistic passivity!" I would convince myself to work harder in highschool, so that come graduation I would have more choices of colleges to attend. I realize now that a second-hand highschool education leads to a sloppy college work ethic. I would advise myself to compare my highschool work to that of published or well-known writers and thinkers, so that I would be forced to continually challenge and improve myself. When I compared myself only to others in my highschool, and because I was on the honor roll without trying too hard, I concluded that my highschool and everything that came with it was beneath me, and I needn't try. What I know now is that my former attitude toward highschool led me to ignore possibilities to grow and expand as a student, intellectual, and artist. I know that had I changed my attitude and worked with my teachers and the material before me, I would have had a seamless transition into college and would have been miles ahead of where I am today.

sarah

Don't jump into anything! You may think that private schools are better...they're only more expensive. It's okay if you don't know what you want to do yet, any experiences you may have as a result of your confusion can only help you to better understand who you want to be. Don't follow the crowd: stay true to yourself and don't worry about what other people are doing. Wear sunscreen.

Jenee

Do Not be affraid to put yourself out there.

Tatiana

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to take more of the college Now courses my high school offered that way I would be even more ahead of the game than I am now. I would also advise myself to continue my volunteering at the local hospital that way I would leave a lasting connection for medical school in the future and a place to do my senior thesis. I would advise myself to participate in some extra-curricular activities other than the scholarly ones I did, that way I would have a broader sense in leadership, team work and friendship building.

alex

College is your chance to mess around, and it's okay if you make some missteps. So study what you WANT to.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time, I would probably give myself the advice to not be afraid and to barge ahead into life, to really engage with the people and community around you and not be held back by any inhibitions or preconceptions that I might carry over from my life thus far. I'd hope to let myself know that whatever stresses or anxiety I experience is completely normal, that many of us arrive at school still unsure and insecure of ourselves, and that often times, people will still leave school that way. I'd want to say that this is normal, but that I shouldn't be intimidated by the reality of this situation and that I need to go ahead and forge my own path, where ever it might take me. I'd want to tell myself something like that, the things I feel you don't hear often enough growing up in a world like ours today.

A prospective student should tour the colleges in mind and really pay attention to the students and what they focus their attention on. Talk to them about how open-minded the student body is and what most students do in their spare time. The prospective student should get a good vibe as soon as they walk through the campus if it is one they will enjoy. Keep an eye on the bulletin boards to see what kind of events are planned by the community and if they are of interest to you.

You may not trully know what you want to be in the future or what you want to pursue as a career, so keep an open mind. Think about the types of things that interest you, or even new experiences that you'd like to try; your comfort comes first! Well, that and obtaining the right education for you. Remember that college has now become a big business, so don't rule out smaller or city colleges and universities. Many state or city universites are just as great as the Ivy Leagues at providing an optimum education for a brighter future.

Honestly it really doesnt matter which school you go for your education, what matters is how much you can get out of it (depending on what your major is). Also the environment must feel right but you can get just as much from a SUNY school as a private school the only difference besides the SUNY school being A LOT more affordable is just a difference of what looks good on a resume (again depending on your field). Get to know your classmates join a club or two, and by those suggestions alone theres a good chance you'd find something in common with someone else and it will only grow with everyday.

Make the best of whatever you've got. Don't dwell on the negatives.

Dear Future student, As you begin your search for the perfect school, keep in mind this advice. My college searching process was long and difficult, but it did pay off in the end. The best advice I think I can give is that you should specifically search your intended major and how each school's program teaches it. Generic college search sites are a good place to start looking, but make sure to look at a school's specific website to find out more detailed information about their programs. Also, don't get too attached to one school, stay optomistic with other options because they may end up being the better school for you. Be sure to apply to several schools of all different prices. Make sure you have plenty of affordable ones on your list; scholarships are difficult to receive and are not guaranteed. However, it is important to look at a school's financial aid options, many have hidden scholarships/funds for specific majors, families, etc. Finally, sometimes the best information you can find comes from talking to other college students and alumni. They know inside information you can't find on a website. Good luck!

Make sure that you know yourself first. You don't need to plan every detail of you're future because it will change despite plans you've made. However, you should have an idea of what you want now so that you can bulid for the future. If you really want something you can achieve it no matter what brick walls are in the way but college will help. Go to a school that will help you reach your goals while expanding you in ways that you wouldn't have done on your own. As corny as it seems listen to what your heart tells you. Go with it because when it comes to picking a college and the choices you make once there, that is what is truly important.

I would tell students to visit as many colleges as possible and go with the one that feels most like home. You spend years of your life here and should chose a school that reflects you in the best way possible.

Go somewhere that fits your interests, and has clubs you like, and of course, a good program for the major of your choice.

alex

So here are some pearls of wisdom that I'd like to share with all of you prior to my graduation from Purchase. Enjoy!

alex

Helpful tips on an inexpensive yet memorable Spring Break from Joe & Al.

Elena

Should identify her or his priorities,considering size,should investigate not just the number of faculty, but also how accessible faculty members are to students.Today's college price tag makes cost an important consideration for most students.Should explore what might be gained from a diverse student body.Visit a variety of schools.