SUNY Buffalo State Top Questions

First and foremost, my advice to highschool me, would be to "buck up an do the busy work that highschool is riddled with" Work that GPA. I ended up leaving school for a while to live at the Olympic Training Center in OKC for rowing. Given my skill level and my intelligence, partaking in the busy work would have set my educational career for life. For lifestyle and professional advice, I would advise myself to immediately manage my activities better. At one point I was training for the Olympics, working, and going to school full time, all simultaneously. School went OK, but rowing ruled all, and distracted from getting into very involved in my school work. As I have gotten older, and am back on school, I am so much better at that as I train again, get my second degree, and work. That skill has made me stronger in all three of those arenas.

Aykayla

I would advise myself that life only gets better from here. I would say that its a trying road ahead, and that working smart is going to get me a lot further than working hard, by that I mean do my best the very first time, take my time to find out all that is required to get the job done, giving up is not an option and happiness is. I would also sugguest that I become on with my mind and body, when you are well in both anything is possible. I would say dont let anyone crush our dreams of success and continue to respect and listen to your mom, although I hate to admit it, she was right most of the time.

The advice that I would give to my high school self would be to love yourself. In today's society, we make most of our time in trying to prove ourselves to our parents, friends, and colleagues. Instead of trying to find yourself, we search for materialistic objects or artificial relationships that make us feel better about ourself. My advice would be to know what you want and go for it. However, that only starts with loving yourself. It is so important to love yourself because this leads to healthy relationships and good decisions for the future. Stand up for what you believe in and actually go through with your choices. Another thing that I would tell my younger self is to not let anyone tell you who you are or what you should be. Stand out against the crowd and be your own person. This is so important because if you have your mother or father is making your decisions on your future career, you may never know what life could really be like. And lastly, although you are in school, that does not mean you can not have fun. Go out and date, study abroad, and experience life.

Do not be afraid to pursue what you want. People will tell you what careers are the smartest choices to get a job, but you are not going to college to look for a job, you want a career. Follow your passion, these are the last few years you may have to truely discover who you are and what you want to be. Explore and refine what it is you want to do and once your sure, give it one hundred percent. Do not rush to be the first to complete anthing, because it is those who take time to step back and evaluate that find the most success. Make school your priority, not work. If possible, work as little as possible. A job can be a great thing to have in college, but do not let it take precident over your studies. When you have to make your school schedule around work, you will miss out on opprotunities to explore and discover your passion. Lastly, join a club or group in college. Do not just use it for classes. Experience college in its full magnitude, most likely you only have one chance to be here, make it count.

Anya

College is hard work. It takes a special person to be able to successfully balance the work load and the social aspect. If I were to give my high school self advce I would say to work harder. I was a slacker in high school and that doesnt fly in college. But I would also tell myself that the harder you work to keep up the more rewarding it is. The knowledge you gain in college is very personal. Yes you get to learn facts but it teaches you about yourself as well. I would say just stay focused and enjoy watching yourself mature and grow because it really is an amazing experience.

Lehys

If I could go back in time to High School, I would tell myself that I'm doing the best decision about choosing Buffalo State College. I would remind myself that college is not hard as long as you put an extra affair. I would also tell myself that no matter how many financial obstacles I face, I will overcome them soon or later by keeping my head up, but overall I would advice myself to listen to my inner voice that always told me ''Don't let money be a problem for you to attend college. College is the best opportunity to be someone in the future.''

Toni

I would try to actually save up and move to another country. I've been to Europe, and they really emphasize respect for others in the classroom.

I would tell myself, "Ask for help, you are not alone. The extra work you have to do to keep up in school compared to other students does not reflect your worth. Do not create a shell to hide in because you are embarrassed, there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Talk to teachers, friends, or councilors, so your hatred toward yourself does not build and tear you apart. Do not envy others who appear to accomplish effortlessly, you too will be one of those individuals. Schedule appointments as soon as possible to start treatment for ADHD as well as bipolar, they constitute the blocks that will no longer restrain you. Although it does not seem so, your family loves, and cares about you. They may show that concern in ways which you consider unaffectionate, but that is what makes them different and you will learn to appreciate that. Even though they may not be comforting in times of distress, know that they care about you. Most importantly, your mother does not think of you as incapable or unintelligent. In fact, she will hold you to the highest regard when you finally demonstrate success in college. Everything will be okay."

As you take this next step in your life, the best advice I can provide is to be your own advocate. Ultimately, you are responsible for your success and happiness; no one else can steer your ship for you. If you need assistance or advice, seek it out. Take advantage of opportunities to learn and experience something new. They won't be as easy to find once you've graduated. Be kind and courteous to your peers, even those who seem to have no manners. Wouldn't you rather set a good example for others to emulate than be dragged down by their negativity? If you want your campus to look nice, take good care of it. If you throw your trash into an overflowing bin, others are likely to follow suit.

Karie

If I were a high school senior, the advice I would give myself is to go to community college first. Community college would have no only saved me money, but it would have allowed me to keep my at home job and have a steady income. Going to community college first would have also allowed me to live at home and not be distracted by living in the dorms. While living in freshman dorms there is a lot of pressure to go out on the weekends and to drink, if I had lived at home that pressure wouldn't have been a problem. I also would have been able to get my general education classes done and out of the way, and then attend a Buffalo State for only two years to get my degree in Hospitality.

Garfield

I know that you are worried and scared. I know that tears of anxiety are forming rivers at your feet. Yet, it will be all for nothing, because you will dominate your first year of college. The fear that you have of college being too difficult is just a waste of energy. You will get a 3.9 GPA for your first semester. So, wipe the tears away and stop eating that bread of sorrow. In addition, you are going to meet a friend that will show you that they are people in the world that are similar in personality to you. You will learn to be independent. You will find the tools that you have been long searching for to breakdown your walls of insecurities. There is no need to worry. Everything is going to be alright. All that you need to know is that the food will be awful, so stop complaining about mother's cooking. Also, spare us both the time and remember not to leave your clothes in the laundry mat for a week. It was hard enough to do it once.

Keyocea

If I could talk to my high school senior self I would tell my self to prepare to feel alone and home sick for a couple of months. There is no need to feel scared becuase I will meet the most lovable and helpful people ever while attending Buffalo State College. I will have a couple of family issues my sophmore- Junior year, but dont over stress everything will be ok. I will tell my self to take it slow and do not take that 400 level course my sophmore year. Lastly I would give myself the best advice to have a little fun and relax.

Knowing what I know now, I would say, "Be who you are. Love yourself, respect yourself, and accept yourself."

josh

Definitely work hard. Being a science major the work load is heavy but by putting in a good effort in high school you will perpare yourself for the challenges to come. With that said take advantage of all the opportunities that present themselves. The best example would be enjoy your friends while still working hard. In the end the stress will be so much less and school will be easier. A side note of sorts, learn to be more organized. I know you told yourself you would be on top of everything but the reality is you can't and you won't. Get that planner that you passed by because you thought you wouldn't need it and use it. The proccess into college and college itself will be a whole lot easier if you just right it down. Don't be to worried about meeting knew people. It turns out that there will be a lot of great moments with the people you will live with everyday. Everyone on your floor will become a family and it will be great. I just ask you to be yourself and things will be fine and enjoy every moment you can.

I would advice myself to be prepared for a lot more work than highschool and prioritize your time, decide what is important to you. Do not expect professors to hold your hand and they don't care about your problems and they do not take late work for any reasons. You need to be respondsible and manage your time wisely. Do not follow friends, do your own thing and always do your assignments as soon as your recieve them. Distance yourself from friends and family enough that you dont get distracted with stuff thats happening home. Make sure you follow the rules, especially in the dorms and academic policies because you can be expeled easily and then wouldn't be able to attend any college with that record. Dont not plagiarize, it could get you in a lot of problems.

Darcy

The advice I would give myself includes to do what you want to do. I would tell myself to pick something I'm interested in. My first two years of college I didn't apply myself because it wasn't fun and interesting but, now that I'm doing what I love I'm incredibly dedicated. I would also tell myself, to have fun, be open to new experiences, and not to forget to be yourself. Having fun and doing things to seperate you from your school work is important. Being open, yet being yourself is also essential in having a great college experience. You want to do what makes you happy while being who you are. Everyone has great ideas and incredible potential, you have to realize how much you can do, and then you'll find you can do anything you want to.

Roxanne

I would tell myself to be more sociable. Make more friends in high school and stay in touch. I would also tell myself to get a job and save money then to better pay for school later.

Letitia

I do not have any regrets at all. I am happy with the choices that I have made, and I met some great people that I will remember for a long time. The school really helps with networking and I love the volunteer events they have for hospitality students to do.

I just wanted to say, college is a whole different ball game. Professors don’t wait on you hand and foot like your teachers now; you actually have to work to get good grades. When you get to college, read the required texts, do all the homework assignments, and study for hours a week. This will help, I promise. Stay ahead, because if you don’t you do have the risk of falling behind, that leads to the thought of procrastination. Do not procrastinate! It will get you nowhere. You will wait to the last minute and either forget about it or run out of time to do it right. Do you remember laughing when people would say how college would be different? Well it is, so you need to grow up and realize it. If you do these things, you will succeed. Good luck!

Kimberley

I would tell myself to start saving money for college. College is one of the most expensive but rewarding things to do in my life. It will be worth spending that money for this education because it will change my life. I would also tell myself to be prepared for a lot of downs before there are a lot of ups. Things don't last forever and I need to be prepared for the roller coaster ride. To take what I am learning and file it to the back of my mind but never forgetting to call upon that experience when needed to figure out lifes obstacles and how to go about them.

megan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that it is ok to be confused about what you want to go to school for. I felt a lot of pressure in high school to decide what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I've learned that you often change your mind in college becasue you are exposed to new opportunities that you never thought you would be interested in. As a senior, I wanted to go to school for art, but when I started college at Buffalo State I fell in love with the geography department, and changed my major to Urban Planning. I didn't even know that was something you could go to school for when I was in high school. The college experience has opened many doors to new opportunities that were not available to me in my high school years. It is more than ok to be unsure of your college major when you are in high school. How can you know what you want to be, when you don't even know it exsists?

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to approach freedom cautiously. When I was in high school, I felt like I was on a set path. I took classes I was expected to take. I didn't have the chance to make my own decisions, because other people were in charge. When I got to college, everything changed. I was thrown into an environment where I had the freedom to do anything that I wanted. If I wanted to stay up all night watching movies, or sleep through my classes, no one was going to stop me. I wasn't used to so much independence. I don't think most students are. I think that is why smart students can do poorly in college. They are overwhelmed by the sense of independence college offers them, and treat college like its one big party. One of the most important things I am learning is how to make my own decisions without supervision. I am learning to balance my time between responsibiliy and enjoyment. If I could talk to my senior self, I would tell him to be prepared to make his own decisions.

Karla

As I sit here and think back to when I was a senior in high school, I remember sitting in math class with Mr. Bozzone asking me if I did my homework that night. I remember saying to myself, "who cares, It's my senior year." The only thing going through my head was I can't wait to get out of here. Now as a Freshman in college I realize I shouldn't have been in so much of a rush to get out of high school. If I could go back I would tell myself to enjoy my last year as a teenager because once you hit college your officially an adult. There isn't going to be that teacher that you always hated, asking you if you did your homework that night. In college It's up to you to do your homework, and hand in your assignments. You no longer have someone pushing you to succeed. It's all up to you to succeed and get to where you want to be in life. You can either take the opportunities given to you or you can treat college like high school and say "who cares."

Denise

If I were to go back in time I would really take my education seriously. I would apply myself more and be more directional in my studies.

jalonza

If I could go back to my senior year self I would have plenty of things to advise. One definetly is to apply for as many scholorships as possible, college is very expensive. Make sure you always have your priorities straight. Always hand things in on time and to you best ability. Don't miss any classes unless you are really sick. Get to know all of your proffessors and make sure they know you. got to tutoring at least one a week even if you don't think you need it, just to make sure you're actually on track. Most important try and stay stress free it's okay to go out and have fun every once in a while.

Breathe. If there is one thing that I could tell you before you head off to college, just remember to breathe. There are going to be times when you think that you do not belong in the All College Honors Program; but you do. You may not always get the A in the class that you thought you would get, but you are going to give college everything that you have. When you get your syllabus on the first day of class, take time to write everything down in your agenda. The more organized you can be the better chance you have at getting the grades that you want. And although you are there to get an education, remember that you are still a young adult. There will be times when you need to have some fun, and there are times when you will need to bite the bullet and get through that 20 page paper that you have put off for two weeks or more. It would be cheating if I told you exactly how to go about everything. College is the best place to learn exactly who you are. And remember, when you start to freak out: Breathe.

Whatever college I end up it, it will be far away but people and the school with get me through. I need to get help if I have a problem in the classroom or go to a counselor if I have trouble adjusting to the school. The friends I will make and the people that I will get to know will help me through college and get my to a career in life. I need to get involved in activities or other things on campus and not get to caught up in school because I will get lost if I don't.

Looking back I would tell myself many differnt things. The first being, make up my mind about what I want to go to college for while I am still in High School. I would suggest to myself in 9th grade to start thinking about what I want to accomplish in college and not wait until I am in college. I would tell myself to spend money more wisely. I would also suggest focusing more and not waisting so much time. The biggest thing is maturity. Of course, maturity comes with time, but it would be a huge help to learn that early.

I would learn how to study more efficiently. I did not have to study much in High School and got good grades. My first mid term in college showed me that I have to put effort in college.

Najee

I would tell myself to keep looking. In high school, I was so set on going to Medaille College for my Education. However, I never really realized that I wouldn't be able to come up with the money. Even now, it is difficult to come up with the money to attend Buffalo State. Not realizing I couldn't come up with the money, I was unable to attend Medaille in the Fall and ended up not attending any school for the fall, both due to the money issue, and the fact that I was upset I couldn't attend a school I was dreaming of. When I spoke with Buffalo State representitives and a friend who is currently attending Buffalo State, my faith in getting an education was renewed. So, to my past self, I would say: "Keep searching, your dream school is elsewhere."

charlene

apply, to Buffalo state and declare your major right away. and meet with theacademic advisor to make sure you register for all the appropiate classes. in addition to that find out how to join the aka sorroity, as well as do commuty service and get invovled with the school voluteer and out reach program to give me more opportunites to get involved with the community and it will also give you a chance to get some experiences as studnet teaching.

Rose

The advice i would give myself for college is to remember to work really hard on the course work and not to slack off. I would say this because in the first year of college i wanted to experiance everything i could and did not really worry about my course work as i did in high school. College is totally different than college and I thought it would be about the same, but it is totally not.

Maggie

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to try to branch out more and to not be afraid to go out for a sports team in high school. I think that I withheld myself from experiences and friendships and knowing how I am now, and how great it's been that I have come out of my shell, I just wish that I had been able to sooner. I would also tell myself that there's some tough times ahead, but that I will survive it and be happy.

Don't take high school lightly. High school is the building block for college which leads to the rest of your life and eventually career. Make sure you figure out what you're interested in soon, and pursue things in that field to see if that is what you'd like to learn about after entering college. Take some college classes as soon as you can to start getting your hands dirty in the topics you're interested in, so you have a headstart when you graduate and enroll into a college/university. Another great piece of advice, would be to procrastinate less.. being self-disciplined pays off immensely in college and is an important life skill to have.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would adivse myself to not dorm on campus, to apply for scholarships, and to save as much money as i can thoughout college to pay for my student loans. I would tell myself to not dorm on campus, because I had my own car and lived twently minutes away from campus. It would be more cost effective to live at home than to dorm on campus, and i could still get the college experience by joining clubs and organizations. It would have saved me eight thousand dollars if i would have stayed at home instead of dorming. I would also encourage myself to get more involved on campus my freshman year to help me make new friends Next I would encourage myself to put more money towards my student loans, because the money I put towards my student loans while im in school would be tax deductable at the end of the year. Lastly I would encourage myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible, to try and help pay for my loans that i would have to take out.

edmund

freshman 15

Hey High School Self, Don't stress over making the transition from high school to college! It's not as drastic as it seems and you'll have a lot of support. Your friends (near and far), your roommate, and the Residence Life staff are there to help make it as smooth as possible. Make sure you go with the flow and be flexible, ok? You'll learn a lot that way. College is such a (good!) different format from high school. The lack of parents over your head will be great preparation for "the real world". Making your own schedule will be difficult at first but you'll settle in and find what works best for you. Having more time between classes (MWF, etc.) and courses (eg. one in the morning, two in the afternoon) makes those spontaneous issues and adventures a lot easier to manage, not to mention lets your brain focus one one topic for more than fifty minutes. You'll stay in touch with old friends, but be sure to branch out and make new ones! Take a deep breath and jump in. Love, College Self

devyn

If i were able to go back in time to talk to myself about making the transtion into college life I would tell my self to GET INVOLVED!!! There is so much that is offered to you on a college campus as a freshemn. Social events, academic opportunities, Marjor related opportunities and so much more. As a freshmen I made the mistake of not being social as and getting involved with my school community, I honestly regret it but however now that I am a more involved student iI realized how my involvement has helped me with a lot of things like declaring my marjor, finding tutoring opportunities, volunteer opportunities and ways to get involved with my surrounding community. I would also tell my self never ever be afaird to speak up and voice your opnions no matter what they may be about, and be an indivudual you dont have to follow the crowd. Be YOU becasue college will teach you things you never knew about your self, like how strong you can be or how hard you will work to achieve an A,and have FUN while learning!!

Diane

Make sure you enjoy every second, the time spent in college will go by fast. You want to do as much as you can, get in to clubs, interact, and do not be scared to be youself. College is a time you can express your self, do not try to be someone your not because there are a ton of people just like you, going through exactly what you are going through.

I would advise myself to look into other colleges and not just follow the crowd, to find a school that I would be happy at. I jumped into college with no idea of what I wanted to do or where to go and just went to my school because I knew other people there. Now after two years I regret that choice, and wish that I could start as a freshman again at a campus I would be in love with. My school is not a good fit for me and I feel like I have wasted two years and lost my chance of having a good college experience. I am now looking into transferring, but if I could rewind time I would advise my high school self to open my eyes to all the opportunities in front of me.

It has helped me become more independent and make me value my family more.

I have gotten many things out of attending Buffalo State College. I have made endless friends and have joined various clubs. There is no doubt that I will always remember this college and my days are not over so the memories will keep forming.

Odalis

What I have gotten out of this college experience is the fact that I know that I can do this. Coming into this school, i thought that I was going to flunk out this semester because this was COLLEGE not HIGH SCHOOL. This was a new big step in my life, how can I possibly do this? But During the summer, before I went to school I got into some huge problems and I promised myself and god that if I can find my way out of this, I will go to college and become the best that I can be because I owe it to myself and to my family. I went to Buffalo State College and decided it was time to grow up and make my dreams a reality. I went to all of my classes, went to see my professors for extra help when I needed it, got a tutor, studied hard, and stayed focus. All that hard work got me a 3.3 GPA for my first semester. This was a valable experience because now i know that I can do College and no one is going to tell me that I can't.

London

The most important thing is all that i have learned about myself. the person that i came into college as, i am not anymore. it makes me glad and proud to see the growth that i have made as a person in less then two years time. I am only a sophmore and i learned more about myself in the past 2 years then my entire life. and i would not have learned these lessons if i was not here on my own. i would not have made thoese mistakes if iwas not here to make them. so much so that i even look foward to seeing how much more i grow within the next two years.

Priscilla

Numerous facilities in my college have helped me as a student. The international student office provided guidance to me as a foreign student that has helped me settle down. There is a spacious library, a vast number of books and enough computers to that have enabled me to do thorough research in my projects and submit all my assignments in time. The professors are always available to assist and are very understanding too. Most of them use groupwork as method of teaching these interructions have created in me a spirit of teamship always ending up successful; they provide notes online enabling me to acquire the necessary information without having to purchase the books. I have been able get a good study environment since the campus is quite,besides, they are spread out making it easy to select the one that best suites my need as I commute from school , work and home. The class schedules are very flexible; I can pick a class from 7am to 12am hence working well with my work schedule. The college offers on campus employment ,therefore, as a new student I didn't strain to secure employment because the school laid a foundation for me.

College has really been a great experience and is nothing like I expected. I genuinely believe that every graduating high school senior should be able to attend a college for one semester for free in order to show every single student how different the college experience is from your average high school. College is truly an eye opening experience to see how one can handle having complete independence. In college you make all your own decisions and it teaches you so much about yourself and you learn from those decisions which helps to make even better decisions in the future. I completely value every penny I have spent on college because there is nothing more exciting than progressing towards your dream career and making those dreams a reality, while at the same time you're living on your own and learning life's most basic lessons. College has allowed me to find who I really am and I am grateful to be able to pursue a degree in something I really wish to work with one day.

Kelley

I have had several awesom college experiences and I truly believe they have helped me obtain my current teaching position. There have been some great people I have met on the journey and it has helped me grow as a person.

Alycia

What I have gotten out of my college experience so far is a much needed sense of confidence. This has been valuable to me in proving to myself that I am able to succeed in this endeavor and in leading by example by showing my children that if they continue their education great rewards and opportunities will present themself.

I have learned the importance of working hard in order to succeed in higher education. Sometimes it is difficult to stay focused and on top of assignments, but it is essential to maintain a GPA. Although new freedom comes with being a college student, the resposibilities that go along with that freedom effect every aspect of life. I have a new found appreciation for the faculty, and am inspired to take what Iv'e learned and eventually change the world for the better.

phillip

To find a better job and futher my education