SUNY Buffalo State Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for SUNY Buffalo State

yolisa

My opinion of SUNY Buffalo State is that this schools gives an opportunity for everyone, regardless of our differences and where many of us grew up, this school shows that everyone is welcomes here at Buffalo and that everyone here is understanding and respectful of each other. The atmosphere is what I mainly care about at campus, and the comfort and wholesomeness of this school really makes me feel as if i’m just at home and I am also pursuing my career while doing so. This school has opened my eyes to new opportunities as well, making me realize that I can be more open to things and that it’s okay to try new things and meet new people.

naneka

It is a good school faculty is always willing to help. It is a party school,

Wendy

Great school, teachers passionate about their subjects.

Jill

I like it. I'm from a small town and this is a nice place to go. Not too big, but big enough that you don't see the same people everywhere you look. I love my major and my professors genuinely care about my well being. Dorms vary by which ones you're in (obviously Perry/Porter/Neuman aren't the best) and there is a bit of crime (stabbings, rape, armed robbery) but if you stick with a large group, get police escorts, and just key your keys on you, you'll be fine. Watch your drink at parties, keep up on class readings, and you'll have your degree in no time!

kaitlin

I love being at Buffalo State. Being in the Honors Program gives me a huge advantage, I may have not come if not in that. But only being in the on campus housing so far has been pretty good. I have easily made tons of friends, but only having a few of them as true friends. I enjoy the classes and still have plenty of intellectual conversation outside of class as well as participating in the presidential elections. I mostly feel safe, but I am reluctant to leave my dorm building alone after 9pm. I overall have enjoyed Buffalo State and don't see myself transferring.

Marissa

I think that there are issues with favoritism by department, which can leave other departments with less than perfect conditions in the lesser departments.

Natalye

Nowhere is perfect. There are disadvantages everywhere, especially college campuses. There will always be people who deceive, difficult professors, and financial struggles. Buffalo State is no stranger to any of these, but it is a well connected structure. The small size compared to large universities is quite convenient for those who are in need of academic or personal help. One can get access to a professor outside of classes and remember who they are without too much worry about time. Universities that hold more than 1,000 people would make appointments between students and professors difficult to manage due to the possibility of more than ten students needing to speak and understand the material said professor conducts. Buffalo State is also unified with its community; an incident that occurs on the campus and authorities come right away. Detectives understanding yet still staying true to their careers with no discrimination to the person or people. Anything involving extracurricular or athletics are quick to go around and be supported by fellow peers. The diversity of Buffalo State is extremely strong with all the different cultures from different people around the world, promoting each one as much as possible with sororities and fraternities and events on particular days. Overall, it is a good school to attend if one wishes to be close local and easy access to stores and off campus living. Regardless of the minimal extravagant and not being a top notch university, you get what you pay for. The professors believe in you as a person and as a student and the courses are to bring you a step closer to the outside world.

Alexandra

Buffalo State is a good school but does need some improvement in certain areas. The campus is a good size, there are many new buildings that are amazing, like the tech building and the union, and the school have many events to try and get the students involved. However, the food is not that great, mainly dining, and there school spirit isn't that big here. Sports games usually have a crowd but nothing extreme. School events don't have as big of a turnout as they should, except homecoming weekend and spring fest! The academics are good but, it definitely depends on your major. The Fashion and Theater department have professors which a lot of real world experience and shows in the class rooms. The Education department is also good too! I have many friends who major in it and get experience in real classrooms. All in all, Buffalo State is a decent school.

Keith

I think Buffalo State College is great. Buffalo State has nice people to help whenever you may need it. Buffalo State is a huge campus that may seem intimidating at first but you'll get used to eventually. There are plenty of places near by to shop for food, or laundry detergent. The dorm rooms are quite small but you'll also get used to that as well.

Geime

It is what you make it. You have fun if you want to, you can stay in also. You have to find your kind of people. The work is fairly easy, theres just a lot to it, if you are good with time management you'd should be fine. It sometimes feels like you are in the 13th grade... A lot of people who just wanted to leave home end up here. If you want to have fun, you will find it but this is not a party school!

angelica

Buffalo is a place where there is a lot to see so staying indoors in your dorm and just waiting for something to happen is not the way to have fun here. Although there are programs in the dorms where you get to know other people who live in your building.

Dasia

It gets better as you get older. Its not so bad. Just put yourself out there to feel connected. The weather is extreme. Freshman dorms have a lot of fire alarms but that's normal. There's so many places for you to get help. You just need to go out there inorder to receive it.

Sophia

I think its an average school. Classes get better when you are an upper classman. Buffalo can be a rough town so its best to stay in groups but there are good restaurants nearby and its fun to go to professional sports games. There is a downtown area as well that is nice with outdoor skating in the winter

Mykalah

In my opinion, Buffalo State College is a very decent school to attend. Not only is it diverse in its population, but also in its activities. There are many clubs and organizations available for students to join in their idle time. There's always something to do both on and off campus. Academic wise, the professors that I've met so far are willing to help students, especially during office hours.

Kevin

It's a wonderful school in the heart of a vibrant community. The facilities available are a great benefit to students, be it the interactive technology in the classrooms, the state of the art sport's center, or the gorgeous green quads found all over campus.

Jasmine

Buffalo State is a great college. The class sizes aren’t too big or too small allowing students to interact with one another and professors as needed. Classes in my major are very enjoyable and while also challenging me. Although I will be transferring to FIT in NYC my senior year, I enjoy every bit of Buffalo state I have experienced and will experience in the future.

Diana

I think that SUNY Buffalo State College is a wonderful school who prides themselves on excellence, hard work, and dedication. Many of the students are friendly and helpful, especially in a small classroom size, I am able to easily make friends and develop very personal relationships. I also can speak to the professors and get help for assignments or classroom topics I am struggling to understand. There are plenty of clubs and activities to get involved in and the administrators are very welcoming of their students. I am very proud of the college I am attending because we all encourage to strive to do our best and work our hardest.

I'Jaz

I LOVE Buffalo State College! I feel that I am academically challenged and intellectually stimulated. There are plenty of groups and organizations that promote networking, and there are great resources to help with academic and personal issues. I truly feel at home at Buff State.

Simeon

it is an average, but good, college. There are things to do on and off campus, not much though. There are people to meet and things to do, you just have to meet the right crowd. the campus isnt too far away from the nearest mall, movie theater, target or supermarket. None of them are more than a mile away from the campus, and they are all accesible by bus.

JACKY

I am blessed to be in the philosophy department. Due to the nature of the field, the students are intelligent and eager to learn. The same cannot be said for the rest of the student body. As a whole, the students here are largely devoted to personal activities outside of their studies. There is more often than not a severe discrepancy in the quality of the students; most of the students fall far, far below those at the top of their class. As a result, many classes are designed to accommodate that lower denominator. In addition to this, Buffalo State has little to no funding. It was reported in 2016 that the school has a $4.7 million deficit in its budgeting, and that's all due in part to the bureaucratic administration deciding it wanted to receive its funding by accepting a huge quantity of freshman classes (thus receiving more funds via tuition money) instead of focusing and diverting its funds to current hardworking, high-achieving, quality students. The administration reasons that they have to accept so many students because the retention rate is poor. Moreover, each staff member is still paid the same no matter the deficit in returning students; thus, the remedial solution (according to Buffalo State's administration) would be to accept more freshmen, diluting already scarce funds and resources from its high-achieving students. As a result, these students, who typically have more options due to their academic success, transfer out, and the quality of the student body remains poor. Trying to get anything done in terms of administrative or technical procedures is nothing short of a Kafkaesque nightmare. There is little to no communication between departments. I personally tried to get a meal plan changed, and four different departments kept sending me to each other for a week straight, each and every one of them giving me a shrug of the shoulders and an aloof "I can't help you," none of them bothering to contact each other. Residential life at Buffalo State varies tremendously. Typically, freshmen are forced into tiny 3-bedroom dorms (to accommodate the huge freshman classes) in a corridor-style residence building. A few lucky freshmen (or those in the Honors Program), can live in North Wing, a suite-style, doubles room residence building. As freshmen move up, they have the option to move to Towers, another suite-style building, or the Student Apartment Complex (STAC). Though much more expensive, STAC is the most comfortable living situation; students live in singles rooms with a few other students with access to their own kitchen, living room, and bathroom. Due to the large amount of students, on-campus housing is limited. Housing availability is on a first-come, first-serve basis, and many students who depend on it are forced to find their own off-campus housing (the silver lining is that it's significantly cheaper to live off-campus). Housing, luckily, is guaranteed for freshmen, though the Housing Department will try its best to divert you from this fact if it runs out of rooms. If you are a freshman without a place to stay, persistently demand a room, and one will be given. Fair warning, though. The rules set up by housing can be a bit... draconian, to say the least. String lights are banned because they're a "fire hazard," but apparently no one had the common sense to know that it's physically impossible to have string lights set on fire (unless you connected it to some mega-battery that could power up a large truck). The drinking rules here are pretty much the alcohol equivalent of an abstinence-only sex-ed program. Instead of making sure freshmen drink responsibly, the school is much more concerned with the legal aspect and will document you (which typically come with a lot of repercussions) if they catch you drinking. Does this prevent people from drinking? Let's be real, folks. It's college. Everyone's gonna drink. So why not put measures to protect students from the real dangers of drinking instead of forcing them to do it in secret? The food is okay. There's not much to say about it. There is a residential dining center, where students can use meal swipes to enter a buffet-style dining room. Apart from that, there are many retail options available on campus, ranging from Subways to Jamba Juice. There is certainly a party scene, and it's common to hear loud music blasting from residence buildings walking around campus at night. It is to be noted, however, that most of the parties are garnered towards African American and Hispanic students, as they make up a majority of the social group of Buffalo State College. Apart from that, there are a few clubs available to keep you interested. The funding is typically minimal for the clubs, and starting one yourself is nearly impossible (I attempted to create its first A Cappella group, but receiving funding for it required a lengthy and near-impossible process). There is a small level of Greek life on campus, but again, due to funding issues, it's not much. TL;DR: if you want to come here to receive a good, basic level of education, then you'll like what you find. Professors are caring and attentive. If you work hard, you'll stand out from the other students. Other than that, housing and food is okay. The administration sucks ass, and you're not really gonna live the college life. The students are highly unprofessional, and there's no money anywhere.

Kiaira

Buffalo State is a very active school. There are plenty of opportunities for students to get to know each other. The academics are amazing. The professors are always available for questions and concerns. Buffalo State is the college I started at and the college I plan to graduate from.

Lea

Overall, I am glad I chose Buffalo State. As a commuter, it is harder to get involved on campus however every time I was there for class, there is an event going on in every building you can join in on. I also joined a sorority which I am able to balance with school and work. Buffalo State's academics are challenging but definitely manageable. I will take away valuable knowledge and experience you can't get at other colleges.

Nicholas

Generally, campus infrastructure is dated and in need of repairs, though I see work and renovations going on all the time. In terms of life, numerous student organizations, as well as Elmwood Avenue, which is in front, having two museums and many local shops and eateries.

Shaeanne

I enjoy going to Buffalo State SUNY. Personally in my opinion there is always something to do. You can never get bored here, the amount of clubs and programs they have going on daily for students to come and enjoy is endless. There is something called Bengal Pause, that takes place Tuesday's and Thursday's . It helps inform students about the different organizations and any events that's happening on campus. There is a space for anyone here and it's not hard to fit in because the diversity here is huge.

Mackenzie

Buffalo State College is a great fit for me. I appreciate the instructors, the facilities, the residential dining hall, the dorm rooms, the off campus housing, the sports facilities and the extra curricular activities. I feel that I belong here and I enjoy being here.

Alexia

It's a nice school. However, the students can become vulgar at times. The food is not very good. It gets SUPER COLD (ALONG WITH THE MASSIVE WIND). I love the Library, a place to go when you want to escape the noise and can actually study other than your dorm. The professors are really nice and very friendly. The RA's may need some more training sadly. Every college has it's ups and downs. The same goes for this one

Yonely

Buffalo State has a large campus with a diverse student body. The classes are usually small but it depends on an individuals' major. The students can find many activities to be a part of like Ladies with Voices, Greek life and several clubs dedicated to certain majors. The Professors are dedicated to their role as educators and make time for students. The school also offers programs to help students that may be falling behind in certain classes.

Katelyn

I like it, it’s very pretty and the locations of the different buldings are not that far from each other. The sports building is very nice. And there are a lot of friendly people who go to buffalo state college. Most of my friends also go there and tell me how great it is also!

Jonathan

First of all, I am commenting to set this thread straight: Buffalo State is not the same as UB. Indeed, both are SUNY schools, but one is a decent, regional university and the other one is a top 100 national university. Nonetheless, this is, in essence, a UB thread. Hence, my review will be regarding that. Secondly, after reading the reviews by many people, I have pinpointed a very, very important missing facet. UB is NOT a two campus university, it is a three campus university. Most undergrads will not spend any time on the downtown Buffalo-Niagara campus, but it is disheartening that such an important fact is being looked over. The world's first cancer research center, Roswell Park, is a part of the campus. Further, as a part of UB 2020, the Gate's Vascular Research center (Which harbors the Toshiba Stroke and Vascular Research Center) was erected in 2012. In 2017, the new Jacob's School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences building was completed in the downtown campus. Really, the downtown campus is most glorious and embodies the roots of UB--a small, private medical school. I happen to love both the North and South campuses, but I do understand the awkward architecture of the North campus. However, as a part of UB 2020 this should improve. I find it very sad that there isn't a more well established Greek life. Specifically a Greek row needs to be built. From what I have read, there is an investor looking into that. Anyway, I haven't started classes at UB yet, but I am excited to be a part of the Medical Physics PhD program. It has a very vivacious program due to the health amount of funding, which has allowed the program to break away from the Biophysics and Physiology within the Jacob's School to its own department. On another note, what do people expect when they look into a school situated within the Snowbelt? Of course there will be a lot of snow due to Buffalo being situated at the Northeastern tip of Lake Erie. But, the evaporation from the lake generates a reasonably high humidity which contributes to higher temperature stabilization; therefore, warmer nights relative to other northern cities. The arctic convection will bring cold temperatures, but it is not extreme. The winters are long, but that is why you research and learn to prepare. 96 inches of snow is nothing to joke about, but during the apex of the snowfall UB compensates the travel difficulty with a very long winter break (5 weeks approximately). During December and January, 50 inches of snow on average can be expected (total). Anyway, I look forward to my experience as a PhD student the next 5 years here. I have done my research and know what I am getting involved in. Buffalo is a wonderful city.

Sasha

It definitely speaks to me because It's the first school so far that I have seen a Bachelor's Hospitality Management program. I want to be a chef so It's almost perfect for me. I also have close friends who are attending this fall, so when I graduate from high school in 2019 if I decide to go here I won't feel all alone. Even though I know there are people who will help.

Elka

I like SUNY Buffalo State and it's evolving as the students who attend the school grows. I have been able to be a mentor here through N.I.A mentorship. I have been an orientation leader on a diverse team. The diversity in students and their individual experiences bring culture and flavor together to Buffalo State. Those who leave come back and impact the resources available to current students.

Brianna

Attending Buffalo State SUNY so far has been a great experience. Studying psychology and pre-med, I have found that my advisors have been a huge help with steering me in the right direction. I have had help deciding which classes are most important for my degree, as well as fitting in classes or electives I'm interested in taking, such as dance. The professors are easy to talk to, always welcome questions and comments and are always accessible!( In class or office hours) I would recommend this institution.

Abeer

I truly like SUNY Buffalo State College and the Biology program. It is really an amazing, wonderful, and beautiful campus in the city of Buffalo, NY. The professors and doctors were helpful, useful, and available most of the time, the class is in the sizes allowed the students to have the personal attention and focus needed to succeed and achievements, and it was very affordable for the quality and kind of education received. SUNY Buffalo State is perpetrated on the mantel, physically, and acknowledgeable growth of its students, faculty, and staff. The purpose of the college is to encourage a lifelong passion, love, and desire for learning and to allow a diverse population of students to succeed as people of a challenging world.

Selamawit

Buffalo state college is a really good school gull of diverse individuals that are open and ready to learn. There are many opportunities professors include such as office hours to help students batter understand materials that were difficult. one thing i would change is the activities on campus, there could be ways to promote it more so others off campus are aware.

Nyla

I believe that this school is a great place for everyone to learn and to have a social life as well. Sometime the food is all that good but there are alternatives on campus that will satisfy you. I am a freshman on campus and I didn't want to really go here at first, but this was literally a perfect for me.

francis

Suny Buffalo state is a great school, safe surroundings. proffesors are always available to help and also you are welcomed by everyone. The students are also academically good and willing to participate both inside and outside of the class. There are also great chances of winning scholarships to support you in financial aid for school.

Anonymous

It’s ok a very small campus everything is close a lot of drama thooooo hella drama .i live in porter ratchet af don’t go there yah first year but it is the best looking freshman hall but it holds the most kids there so many scandals in that building with the students in the ra’s. The dorm style is community bathroom 2 students to a dorm and there are 9 floors with 25 rooms on each floor this year the floor is half boy half girl but might change next year.

Nia

Suny Buffalo State is a fantastic school.Full of diffrent cultures who come together to make one student and teachers. The campus is always alive with events, guess speakers, and positive energy . Teachers and staff always looking to help in anyway they can .

Andrew

Overall, I have been extremely fortunate to study under the devoted and exceedingly knowledgeable faculty in the history department at SUNY Buffalo State College. It is evident that they are equally invested in the educational pursuits of the student as the student, themselves is. SUNY Buffalo State is very affordable, especially for New York State residents, and offers students all of the necessary facilities and materials to succeed.

Aryannah

SUNY Buffalo State has had a huge impact on my life for the simple fact that they gave me the opportunity to better myself and be apart of their school. It has taught me that you can be yourself and do whatever you want. The professors I've had have been great.

Corinne

I think that buffalo state is a great place for what it is. There is a great amount of diversity at the school which I appreciate. There are a lot of opportunities to express yourself and your interests on campus. And there are tons of groups that will include everyone. It is a great choice for a low cost 4 year school.

Cindy

I am actually really interested in going to Buffalo State for one reason which is there fashion design major. When I entered there college affair they said fashion design was one of there popular majors. If your interested in fashion design you may want to check out Buffalo State College.

May

SUNY Buffalo has given me the opportunity to conduct research in my professional field in order to pursue my passions and possibly change the field of education. Luckily for me as a working professional and parent, my courses can be taken online.

Adriana

My experience at Buffalo State has been a short one thus far, but yet a great one. I am currently a Music Education major. The music department at the college is extremely underrated. The class sizes are a great. Not too big but not as small as one on one assistance. The size of theses classes makes it easy for students to grasp on to the information being given. The professors are very helpful and are willing to sit down with you during their office hours to help. The students and the staff from the music department are very welcoming and you can't help but to feel at home with them. Outside of the music department, Buffalo State is still a great school. The only downside is in the summer you're going to need a box fan because none of the dorms are equip with AC's. Overall like in any college its uptown the student if they're there to genuinely learn or if they're there to party and get lost in the whole college scene. My overall experience in Buffalo State so far has been a great one and I'm looking forward to my second semester of college there this upcoming August!