SUNY College at Geneseo Top Questions

arnub

Try everything at least once. Don't be afraid to look awkward. You'll meet tons of people freshman week that you wont ever see again, but some may become your lifelong friends. Know that you cant live with everyone. Keep an open mind and take a variety of classes, just for the hell of it. Know that you're blessed and should take make the most of this opportunity.

Hey self from the past, listen, your first year at Geneseo is going to be the hardest time you have ever gone through. You need to take the summer and prepare your mind for the challenging academics you will be facing, but have your social life now, because the only time you will be socializing beyond study groups is on weekends. Stay away from the drugs, because they're nothing but self-destructive trouble,. You can let loose and have fun for sure, but just be sure that you are 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} capable of hadling both the workload and the social life. Save your cans and bottles to return at WalMart, you'd be surprised how much you get out of it! Last, but not least, enjoy the view and take advantage of the facilities that are offered, it's a great release. Good luck and enjoy college! Don't stess youself out, you're going to do great things there!

I am an artist. I see beauty where things may not be pretty and constantly search for greater meaning than the literal. Two years ago, I started college as a Mathematics major. Math is great. I am constantly in awe at its simultaneous harmony and complexity. I enjoy the challenge of studying mathematics, but I picked it for the job security. I'm four math classes away from my degree now, and I'm terrified. I like math because I see the beauty in it that I can find in everything. I like math because I am an artist. What is special about me is this unique perspective on life. I want to study Psychology and eventually Art Therapy to help others see the world in all its complex beauty. I met a seventy-six year old woman in a painting class this summer. She told me, "As long as you are doing what you love, you are going to be successful." Life is far too short to pass up what you love for what speculation tells you provides security. I would tell my high school self is not to let fear keep me from being the best me.

Samuel

I'd tell myself, "I know you've faced some pretty difficult times growing up in the Bronx. But hey, don't let those events dictate how you see life, Sam. Up until this point what has set you apart from your friends is that you understand the value of your education. Trust me when I tell you you're going to realize how much that paid off when you get up here to Geneseo. You will come up here and get to relax like never before, I promise you! No more having to rush home while also constantly watching your back to make sure you're safe. That's not life at all. You'll come up to Geneseo and be absolutely worry free. It's only when you get to experience that comfort that you'll finally get to fully understand why it was so important to focus on your education all along. Your education has gotten you so many opportunities so far and it always will. Your education comes first, don't ever forget that."

Bridget

Knowing now what I do about the college transition, I would do my best to bolster my own self-confidence about trying new things. I grew and changed so much as a college student as a result of trying so many things I was scared to try as a high school student -- from campus clubs to new food to classes to even just striking up a conversation with a stranger. I was adequately prepared academically for the transition to college, but the social transition took some adjustment for me.

The first piece of advice I would give myself is to stop worrying so much. Freshman year will be nothing like how you expected it to be, and that's alright. You still need to give college a chance and not be so negative about everything that happens. It will be difficult, and you will be homesick. But you'll prove to yourself you can live on your own and you can excell at a school known for its academic rigor. And then, you need to stop being so shy. You only have four years. Go out there and enjoy every possible moment. Try out for that play. Go dance in the rain with the people across the hall. Go to a party on the weekend without worrying what others will think. Enjoy your time. Don't be stupid about it, but take the time to soak in all that college has to offer. Before you know it you'll be done and looking back on it all and regretting the things you never got to do or try. Don't let that happen. Try new things. Be brave and be bold.

megan

I would have told ,yself to go to college right away after i graduated instead of waiting 3 years. I would have started looking for financial aid years ago so that i knew what i was getting myself into and i would have worked so much harder to save money .

RELAX! It will all be fine.

Be ready to learn more about yourself. Be open to new experiences. Participate in the widest range of activities you possibly can; do not limit yourself. Remember, your grades are important but the experiences you are making will shape who you become. There are going to be people that seem so different from you that you'll find fit your personality perfectly. There will be people that don't fit your personality at all and that's okay too. Be true to yourself. You will never have this freedom with the safety net any other time in your life. Enjoy it. Take care of yourself. It will always be tempting to do something else besides rest but sometimes that's exactly what your body needs. Don't sleep too much; you might miss out on one of those memorable nights. Remember how lucky you are to be able to receive the education you are getting for there are far more people who will never have this chance. Get involved in your major. Do research if able and take advantage of all the opportunties you are being offered. Take at least one class just for fun. Live a life you love.

Twiggy

If I could return to high school to have a conversation with my high school senior self I would let her know that education is far more important than whatever seemed so important at that time. My father had just died and my mother was an alcoholic so it seemed so important to remove myself from that environment. If I could talk to my "senior self" I would tell her that she was capable of being successfull at college and that going to work was only a short term fix to the bigger challenges that she would surely face later in life without a college education. I would also let her know that if she could work as hard on her future by attending school and engaging in the community as she did working for a paycheck she would most certainly succeed. I would let her know that believing in herself should be her first order of business and that all good decisions flow from such knowledge. Knowledge is indeed power and without it life is an uphill battle. I would also tell her to covet her time as a young person and invest in herself. She is worth it.

Jean

I would say," I've got to sign up for the college credit classes in 11th and 12th grade before I'll graduate from high school . Do my very best in those classes , so when I do graduate I'll already be half way done with college credits towards a degree". I"ll choose a nearby college that has minimal fees for credits and parking. I'll also sighn up for a work study program. I want to achieve A's across the board in my classes , because I really want to make the honor roll. For as long as I can remember I always wanted to be in the medical field my interests are in medical records, medical assistant, or RN. Everything I have investigated tells its better to climb the ladder first. This means a student is excepted into a nursing program if you already have : CNA,(certified nursing assistant, MA (certified medical assistant, and one must have a cuurent dated CPR certificate . My goals are to stay in classes until I reach the criteria necessary to enroll in a either Health Information AAS degree or Registered Nurse Degree. Knowing this I must start my generals classes 1st.

As a high school senior I would encourage myself to think harder about my college selection compared to what career I would like to pursue. I have realized being in school that certain majors are more popular than others and it is harder to get into some classes compared to others. I would make sure to visit every school at least twice before accepting admission, that way I may have picked up on more things about a school before I chose it. I also would encourage myself to pay more attention to the financial aspect of college and to apply to as many scholarships as possible, as education is costly, especially if you look to transfer. I feel that with this advice I would have made a much better decision about the colleg that I picked.

If I could go back in time to approximately one year ago today, I would find myself preparing for my senior year of high school. With the knowledge that I have now come to possess about college life and the necessary transition, I would advise my past self to refrain from worrying and stressing over my future plans. Although a little stress can be healthy, I tended to over-think and over-analyze my options. I have come to find that college is a terrific experience that is not meant to be strictly hard work and tough classes. College can be a lot of fun, as well. You have the opportunity to meet many wonderful, diverse people and get involved around campus. The only thing I regret about my senior year of high school was that I allowed myself to have so much anxiety about college and what would become of me in the future. I have since found that I had nothing to worry about, and that college will be a great time for me to learn and grow spiritually, emotionally, and mentally.

Mayra

People say that senior year in high school are to enjoy our last year in school, so we can enjoy our senior week and prom and all the good and fun stuff we have in our senior year. In reality senior year should be to start looking forward in life to become better persons in a future. That year should be to start thinking what we want to become, what do we want when we are out of high school. If only I could go back in time and give myself an advice I would say ; ” stop acting and start reacting!” time is passing and time doesn’t wait, lets make the best out of this senior year having fun but also thinking mature of what I want to stand from here and 5years from now. I would tell myself to apply for a lot of scholarships so I can make it into a good college and catch my dream of becoming a Psychologist. I would also tell myself to study a lot more and to give the best that I can to accomplish my goals, and not to stop until I achieve them all be how I want .

I would advise myself to forget about the money. Go where you're going to be happy. I wish I had topld myself to go to an excellent large public university in another state that has a good balance of academics, athletics, and a social life. I also would've told myself to work harder in high school so I could've gotten into a better college.

mariel

Mariel, your upcoming college experience is going to be great. As a high school student there are always thoughts and fears of the unknown future. Remember that everyone else entering as a freshman has the same questions: will I fit in, how is the food, who will my roommate be. The most important advice is to be yourself, be socially and academically responsible and do not allow students who are not responsible to influence you. Focus on what you are interested in and pursue those interests. In college unlike in high school you are expected to carve out a path for yourself. You are treated as an adult and expected to behave as one. All the opportunities are present but only if you avail yourself to utilize them. T'he same is true for social and leadership activities. College is a precursor to your adult life. You can be as successful as you want but you have to make it happen. Look forward to college as a privilege as well as a gift and embrace this opportunity. Most importantly, have fun.

With the ability to talk to myself as a high school senior now, I would have substantial advice. First of all, do what makes you happy and do not worry about pleasing others. In the long run, it is you who matters. Deciding on a major does not need to be rushed, you cannot expect to know exactly what you want to do at eighteen years old. Follow your heart, and do what makes you happy. There are countless opportunities to succeed. Monetary means will fall into place eventually, do not let your lack of money deter you from doing anything. Study abroad! Take advantage of the ability to travel the world at this age and experience amazing cultures; again, do not worry about the cost. Join organizations, clubs, and anything to meet new people. You are going to meet so many new people, and in doing so, will learn more about yourself. Do not do anything you do not feel is right. You will find people will similar values and those are the ones you want to surround yourself with. College is a time for learning, fun, and new experiences. Take advantage of it!

It has been very valuable for me to attend college because I have grown and learned more about myself. I have gained a new found confidence, that I never had before, I have learned to not be afriad of something new and unknown. Plus I am also gaining academic knowledge, which will benefit me when I pursue my career. Attending college has made me more responsible as a student. I take my job as a student very seriously. I have learned that it is my responsiblity to turn in assignments on time, make sure I make time to read and study the material for the next time I have class. I also have learned that there is nothing wrong with asking questions if I am having trouble grasping a new concept. Overall attending college has taught me to be a better person in more ways than just academically. The conccepts I have learned will be with me for the rest of my life. As a future teacher I hope that I can teach my students these valuable concepts along with their academics

Misty

Im gaining usful knowdledge and skill's in school to apply to the work world when I enter it.Im 33 years old and up until and few months ago I had never done anything outside of my home.Im currently enrolled in a M.A program,with nursing school to follow.Im learning how to become a productive citzen in the work force in a in demand field,doing something I love.I had no work expierence and nothing other than a h.s diplomia prior to enrolling in ATI.

When I arrived as a freshman, I was for lack of a better word, a ‘kid.” I had always excelled in school without having to put in very much effort; and as a result, I was naïve to how much effort it truly takes to earn success in something meaningful. It quickly became apparent that the cliché is true, what one gets out of an experience is a direct result of the effort put forth. Many of the lessons that I have learned in college did not take place in a classroom or lecture hall. Starting from day one, you are thrown together with complete strangers whom which you are not only expected to work and live with, but also compete against. College forces a person to become versed in the dynamics of human relations that will exist long after the dorm room interactions are over. Furthermore, in college you become completely responsible for yourself; success or failure is entirely your own to claim. Attending college at SUNY Geneseo has been an essential part of my life, which has not only prepared me academically, but also personally to succeed in my future.

I believe that at SUNY Geneseo I got more out of my college experience in four years than most would get in eight. From the classes, to the athletics, to the extracurriculars, my hard work and hard play were rewarded with memories that will last a lifetime. The academic life at SUNY Geneseo was an intense challenge. As a political science major who decided to pursue graduate school for physical therapy, I took classes in everything from international politics to biology. Each class held students who were of the highest intelligence level. At Geneseo, "smart" was not nearly enough. For the first time, I learned how to truly work hard at my studies. Everything else about Geneseo is what I will truely remember and value forever. Playing both soccer and track, leading my track team as a captain, I met many great people and was able to share several amazing moments with them. Conference championships, all-conference awards, NCAA tournament appearances were great, but it was practice every day that made my college experience. Not to mention after the game each saturday, when I got to celebrate with the best friends I've ever had, win or lose that day.

Out of the college experience I have received valuable knowledge about hard work, and success. In my one and a half years in college, I have learned more about what it takes to be successful both in the classroom and in the world than I have in the rest of my life. As a new college student I had no idea how much work or effort was needed to be successful and I knew that the only way to find out was through experience itself. My experience has taught me discipline, responsibility, dedication and it has built character and driven me to strive for excellence. Even in my short time, the college experience has prepared me to enter the business world. College has been valuable for many reasons first of which is gaining an education, which is both critical and necessary to be successful in today's world and economy. The college experience has also provided a range of different encounters which turned into learning experiences that will stay with me and help me for the rest of my life. All in all college has proven to be a life changer both for my future and my present life.

While attending SUNY at Geneseo, I learned that respecting yourself and your beliefs are very crucial to gaining one's independence and identity. Individual's are continuously challenged to go beyond what one normally would think. Yet, each thought and answer are never degraded The college experience has been valuable in the aspect of learning how to work with people of different racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds. Although some students may have felt unsure at a point while on campus because he/she was questioned/challenged, the liberality demonstrates that people are different, yet accepting. Most colleges express that diversity on the campus is a wonderful thing to have. However, Geneseo rarely has to advertise that idea. It's scenic beauty captivates an art major; the rustic architecture fulfills a history lover and the freshly painted, white lines encourages the athlete. Respect for oneself and another is a huge characteristic that each student walks away with after they leave Geneseo. It may be a small town, but the hearts that live in the depths of the valley are large and open.

College is a learning experience with many opportunities not only academically but socially as well. I think that going away to school has made me into a more independent and self-sufficient person. I have learned to manage my time according to my schedule and to manage my money and spending as well. I am learning so much about the teaching profession and am gaining so many valuable experiences working with many professors and getting feedback. In addition to academics, I have joined various extra-curricular activities which allow me to meet more people and be a part of clubs which I have a passion for. My college experience has made me more outgoing and has introduced me to many new people. Overall, I have grown into a stronger person and have learned so much from my experiences thus far. I hope to get the most out of my college experience as I continue learning and becoming involved on campus.

The best part of my college experience was figuring out where i fit within the larger society. I have learned to make decisions on my own and have realized that the choices i make, will affect my life forever. I have spent many nights working hard and never giving up. This has definately benefited me in many ways. As a graduate student now, i have been using a lot of the skills i have learned as an undergraduate. This has made me grow as a person. I have a more positive outlook on life and believe that I can achieve beyond my greatest expectations. I am very greatful for the experience at SUNY geneseo. I have been given the tools necessary to continue my journey as a life-long learner. I have also made strong bonds with other students and this has helped me to not give up hope and stay focused. Without these friends, i do not think i would have made it this far. Encouragement, support, and compassion from others is the key to a successful college experience.

I learned a great deal about relationships and myself while attending college, in addition to academic information. I found living on my own and learning who I am, what I enjoy, who I enjoy spending time with and the process of exploration of the self to be a major theme during those years. I was able to learn different dynamics of friendship relationships as well romantic relationships. I believe I began to "grow up" in college while at the same time having a unique set of freedoms from major life stresses.

I made a lot of mistakes during my freshman year. Many times I chose to have fun over working hard but I am excited to go back to Geneseo in the fall and continue to pursue my education. I want to learn everything that I possibly can and I will. So what I have gotten out of my college experience is that I have to work hard and be focused in order to succeed. A balance of hardwork and enjoyment can lead me to accomplish my goals-to become a succesful and accomplished writer and overall, an accomplished self-efficient woman.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would try my best to impart to myself the importance of studying and hard work. I would explain to him the extreme difference in dynamics between the amount of work, time, and energy that I used in high school and the amount I would need to use to be equally successful in college. I would tell myself that the onus of learning would be placed much more squarely on myself and that I would need to really self-motivate myself to do well. I would encourage myself to continue to stay involved in leadership positions and to join Intervarsity as soon I began to live on campus. I would also encourage myself to really step out of my comfort zone and make lasting friends and to understand that with the freedom college brings also comes added responsibility. Overall I would just impart to myself that finding a balance between work and play is very important and to make sure to enjoy my college years to the fullest.

The advice i would give to myself would be alot of beneficial information. I would tell myself to choose the school i wanted with alot of care because its going to be a important decision in the long run. Also on top of the school i would emphazise the importance to research how the campus is, how the teachers and classes are, as well as how the area surrounding the school is. The key is also to remember to not worry about what others think and how you think it will reflect on you, but to remember its your future and career so pick what you can do best. Transitions are rough and its all a new experience but i would tell myself to go with the best foot foward and always have a positive outlook on the day. Each day at the new school makes for a new adventure and learning experience, as well as doing good in the classes and not wasting time at the college. With all this information told to myself back in time i would assume that he would have a pretty good time in college.

It is said that you are not supposed to change the past. It is said that it can have detrimental effects on your existence. But if you could go back to change something, to make sure that you made the right decision, wouldn't you? If I could go back, I would tell myself to ignore the friends and parties. I would tell myself that in a year, I'll never see any of them again. I would tell myself to focus on my studies as hard as I can. The reason for this is that if I had tried harder in high school, I could have gone to a far better school. I would say "I come from three years from now, and trust me, it's terrible. What you are doing now is going to lead you down a road to a terrible school with little hope of a future. Go home and do homework. Study for hours. It will be worth it." The transition itself is easy, if you are transferring to a place where you actually want to be.

Do not be scared of change. College is where you will become the person you were always meant to be. Saying goodbye to high school friends and family members before leaving is the hardest part. However, a week into the first semester life just feels different. Everything up to leaving for college feels like one life, and from that second you arrived it is as if it's a whole new life. New is not scary, it feels completely right. The first week everyone is experiencing the same things so making new friends comes naturally, and the people who were important to you before college always find a way to make sure the connection stays there. Also college is really fun. Don't think about the small stuff like how can I shower with shoes on?, or will classes be really hard?, or is it ok to sleep with my teddybear still? The answers to these questions are simple and discovered that first week then become second nature. If you aren?t scared of the change and are open to all the new experiences and people college has to offer it will be the greatest time of your life.

Going back in time and being able to talk to myself as a high school senior would be something that I would very quickly take advantage of. I would said, ?Katie, sit down and do your homework!? Senior year if I had done my homework every night and put the extra effort into my work I have no idea where I could have gone. During my first semester as a college student I learned that you barely ever go to class and you have to do SO MUCH work. I would also sit down with myself and say, ?Listen to your parents they do know what they are talking about.? My parents always told me that I could do whatever I set my mind to. That was exemplified during first semester. I wanted to drop a computer science class and my parents said dedicate yourself to the class and do your best, and sure enough they were right (as always) and I pulled a B+ off in the class. I would also go back and tell myself, ?Don?t let high school go by too fast, you are going to miss it.?

Chen-Tsu

One piece of advice I would give to the younger me would be to go explore and try out more activitiies available whlie she could, to develop more interests not yet found. Although there are numerous activities and organizations open to students, what matters the most is your own interest; what do you like to do. Another thing to say to myself is to "start fostering good study habbits." It is really important in college to have a good study habbit because no one will tell you when to read the textbooks, do the homework or begin the research; everything depends on yourself to finish. Procrastination has to stop as it will drag you straight down to the bottom... Efficient study strategy is essential, too, as it will assist you in getting the best results out of shorter amount of time consumed. Finally, I would tell myself to learn to open up my heart to others more. College is not just about gaining knowledge; it's also another important stage in one's life where new friendships can be built and last life-long.

If I were to do it all again with the knowledge I possess now, I would not worry about the college application process. In high school was so stressed about college and finding the school that "fit" my interests, lifestyle, and personality. I applied to over 15 schools and when accepted to a handfull, I painstakingly went over the pros and cons of each. Now, after enrolling in SUNY Geneseo and talking with friends about their schools, I realize I could basically be happy in any college. I feel I made the right decision by choosing one the best value public colleges in the country, but most schools are more or less the same. The best way to choose a college is by what feels right and the social climate of Geneseo was right for me. If I had a time machine and could tell myself what the future would hold, I would say that worrying about college is pointless.

The transition between high school and college can be challenging for students, especially for those who are the first in their family to attend. Firstly, in order to make this transition a smoother process, I would tell myself to be unafraid to take risks. I believe that trying something new, whether it be a sport, club, or class, can help expand one's social network. To better succeed in the classroom, I would advise myself to be confident enough to ask for help. The professors are available to assist students who seek their help. It is necessary to get assistance from any available resources as soon as one is struggling with a class. Lastly, I would reccomend practicing and learning better time-management skills. Being able to balance all of life's responsibilities gives a student an advantage over others who have not mastered this skill. If, before college, I had learned how to better use my time, I could have avoided getting behind in my studies. Therefore, by taking risks, having confidence, and being able to time manage, the transition between high school and college can be made a little easier.

I would tell myself that college is definitely a difficult and rewarding journey. I would also tell myself to work harder in order to get more financial grants and scholarships.

jamie

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that college is not as scary and initimidating as it first appears to be. I would tell myself to not be so apprehensive and afraid to leave for school because college is an amazing experience and going off to school will be the best decision I have ever made. I would inform myself of how college is completely different from anything I have experienced so far, but it is so completely worth it. The things I have already learned and am continuing to learn in college have already shaped me into someone very different than who I was. My new experiences have changed me for the better and have made me into a more well rounded individual. I already feel more independent and feel that I am learning more about how to make it on my own in the real world. If I could, I would go back and tell myself to be excited for college, and to get ready for the ride of my life.

Makenzie

Don't settle. There are so many amazing schools to choose from, so don't make a decision too quickly. Sometimes, there are options you don't even consider because you think they're too far from home, or too much money, or too big. But you never truly know until you visit a school and think about not only the reputation and name, but your life there. Think about who you are and where you're going to be happy living. You're only 18 or 20 once, and your time in college is about your lifestyle, not just your classes. If I were to go back, I'd tell myself to look more closely at where I want to live, not what school I want to go to. Because when class is over, your town is your home. Your school is your life. Pick a place where you can be the star of not only the school, but your own life. These four years will fly by. Let them fly, but do it joyously.

I would encourage myself to be more open-minded about the entire college process. College is filled with new experiences including living with a roommate, meeting scores of new people, hundreds of clubs and activities to explore and, often, a new and unfamiliar part of the country. I was very nervous when I arrived for my first day of freshman year. I would encourage myself to get involved in more activities as soon as I set foot on campus. Although I was involved in some activities freshman year, I wasn't as involved as I wanted to be. However, I joined several new clubs this year and was able to become more involved on campus. I have always been shy but now that I know there is nothing to be scared of in college, I would tell my younger self to be more extroverted and meet more people in the same situation as I was in.

Deanna

I would tell myself to get out there and start meeting people right away. I definitely waited too long to get involved on campus. I have met my closest friends through my experiences in the college community and cherish their friendship. I only wish I would have met them sooner instead of keeping to myself for most of my freshman year. I now, as a junior, take advantage of many opportunities the college offers to meet new people. I am open to different ideas and believe that you learn best from sharing the lives and experiences of others.

Alexa

I would tell myself that you need to realize right away that it's not all fun and games. You have to realize that you're there to get an education and do well. I would tell myself to learn how to manage my time better. To make a schedule that sets aside time for hanging out with friends and doing work. To make sure that I keep up with the readings that are assigned, and study every night so that I keep what I've learned fresh in my mind. I would make sure that I tell myself to keep organized and don't let anything get in the way of succeeding.

Juan

If I could go back in time to highschool me I would have three pieces of advice to give myself. One, I would encourage myself to get out of my shell and join clubs and other groups. Even though I would only be able to be a part of them for a year I think they would have allowed me to become more social and creat a more diverse resume. Two, take more AP classes and study for the AP tests that I did take. In college I have notices that those who are able to start their college career with credits under their belt are far more prepared than most freshman. Having several core classes already out of the way when one starts college truely is priceless. My last piece of advice is really more a congratulations. Congrats for making those hard decisions to pass up your friends and stay home to study or do homework. Those nights have paid off ten fold in college. These are the keys to college.

As a college sophomore, I feel I would have a lot of advice to give myself when I was still in high school. The first thing I would undoubtably give as advice would be to pursue the advanced placement courses more actively. I always imagined that the AP classes was completely out of my league and that I would never be able to pursue college as those who did take the AP classes. I was sadly mistaken. I took my first year of classes and I then realized how stupid I was. If the AP classes were designed to prepare high school students for the rigors of college course work and I saw myself doing exceptionally well, why then did I not pursue them. Taking the AP would have saved my family several hundreds of dollars. Another thing that I would advise myself would be becoming more involved with clubs and organizations. It is imporant to have fun in college but it is also important to network and prepare one's self for life after college. I have been involved in clubs but being more involved in the community would have helped me tremdously.

The first piece of advice that I would give myself would be to lighten up. I was extremely stressed when I entered as a freshman, worried that I wouldn't make friends, worried that I wouldn't like the food or adjust to the cold, and worried that I wouldn't succeed in my classes. When you enter school, you realize everyone is in the same boat as you. Everyone is nervous, and college is a learning process in more ways than one. I would tell myself to always leave my door open, always accept an invitation for lunch or dinner, and always ask for help from my professors. I would tell myself to go to my professors' office hours when I would have a question before a test because they are readily available with the answer and remember students who show interest. I would tell myself to visit every organization expo, study abroad fair, job fair, or extra curricular expo because there are so many clubs and possibilities freshman have no idea about yet. The main rule in college is to expect the unexpected. By be willing to lighten up and roll with the punches, nothing can stop you.

Laurel

I would tell myself that studying is important, but it's also important to balance studying with making friends and being a part of campus life. Don't stress too much; the professors are more than willing to help and never be afraid to ask for help.

Donna

Breathe and relax. Don?t be afraid, you won?t be alone. Every freshmen is coming in to college wants to make friends and do well, just like you. Keep a smile, an open heart, and friendly spirit. Before long, you will find yourself a support system of friends and mentors. These are some of the greatest times of your life, and it will fly by. You will look back on these days and laugh for hours. The workload will not be easy, but you are prepared. Keep up your work ethic and ambition. You are stronger than you know. Manage your time wisely. Keep in contact with your loved ones from home. Most importantly, don't let sleep fall to the wayside. It is important to treat yourself right. Maintain your friendly disposition, be kind, and never be afraid to speak your mind. Like karma, everything in college comes full circle. Those who you help out will have your back you when you need it. Hold your head high because you will make your family proud and be happy with the woman you've become. You were learn so much, academically and personally. Get excited for an amazing experience!

I would tell myself to choose a place closer to my family home. I would tell myself to choose a major where I know ill be happy happy and ready to learn. I would tell myself not to fool around or get involved with the wrong crowd of people.

The main piece of advice that I would give myself would be to be more assertive. I felt like I was shuffled through the registration process, but I should have looked into changing my schedule on my own and not just doing what the advisor said and ignoring my own doubts. I would also have liked to be more confident about joining different activities and making friends. I was very intimidated. I didn't feel like an equal with other students. I also didn't feel comfortable joining clubs here and thinking of Geneseo as "my school" the way that I did with my high school. If I could do it over again, I would have joined the student network online and through facebook over the summer before I started school there. Many of my friends did that and it made a big difference as far as identifying with the school and getting to know other students. The formal in-person orientation programs at the school were not as effective. I would also try to prepare ways to introduce myself to others in advance. The first two weeks of school, I wa stoo shy to run around and make friends.

Don't be a physics major!

Candace

First and foremost do your best in high school. Make sure that you get good grades and fill out as much scholarships as possible. This is necessary because you don't want to let money be the final deciding factor in the process. Parents make sure that you truly take an interest into what your children want to study, and what they want out of college. Help them to make decision, but do not make the decision for them because if they end up hating the college they will just resent you. For prospective students do as much in depth research as you can, and make sure you get to know yourself-for instance can you really live far from your family, is this school diverse enough, what the type of other majors do they have? Talk to the counselors at the colleges and try your best to visit. When you get into college make sure you make the best out of it. Life is what you make it! Get involved! Fish around different clubs and see which ones you really like and pick ones according to your schedule.