SUNY College at Old Westbury Top Questions

What should every freshman at SUNY College at Old Westbury know before they start?

Kristine

I know now that being in the work force for some years and then going back to school gives you a whole new perspective on college. I only cared if I passed my classes in college right out of high school. Now I want to get the best grade possible in my classes. I would tell myself to go work in the work force for a few years but promise to go to college after a few years. By doing this you get a better understanding why you are going to college, for the better education and the life expericences will help you reach for higher goals in colledge.

The advice I would give myself would be to open myself up a little, which basically means to be outgoing enough to meet tons of new people. I would also tell myself to join any club that looks somewhat interesting and to join soccer even though you might not want to. I would tell myself that college is not as bad as it seems as long as you do your work and study. All in all, I would just tell myself to let loose without letting loose too much where I will not be focused on school. Be yourself, also.

Dana

Hi Dana, I know you're panicking about what career path you're going to go down, how finances are going to fall into place and how you'll adjust to the new environment...it's easier than it seems. Breathe. There are so many class options that before you know it you'll find your niche. Also, there's no such thing as finishing college in a certain period of time or being stuck with a career for the rest of your life. Take all the time you need to figure things out. It's more than okay to do so. I know mom and dad are trying their best with what they can but you still feel caught up with how to go about filing applications (including FAFSA/Financial Aid) and registering...there are so many people available to help you with everything! There is no such thing as a "stupid question" either. Lastly, those movies and tv shows only show half of what social life is like in college. Don't be scared. You have the freedom to create the other half...everyone embraces individuality. Love yourself through this whole process! You'll thank me later :)

Mark

Since I didn't get into many cheap colleges originally the smartest thing to do from the begining was to start out at a community college then work my way to a university to finish my last 2-3 years and find out what I like from there so I didn't keep switching majors and stick with computer science instead of premed and switching between those two majors 4 times and doing what I liked instead of following money which I tried doing through pre-med but quickly learned I should have just stuck with computer science just because its my real passion and not for it's money payment to my wallet.

melanie

If i could go back in time i would change one thing. I would have begun my education earlier instead of waiting. If i could tell myself to begin earlier i would. I wouldn't allow my environment or family history to sway me from my destiny. I would become the mentor i never had. I would tell myself to not do what my family expected. Dead ends jobs and choas isn't the way. Education is the only escape, and the means to survive. The pain i have been endured through childhood, and my enviornment would not stop me. I would not quit. I would become a mountain and not be moved by the violence at home. Nothing could stand in my way. The scars of past beatings would be erased. I would tell myself to not cry, but to go to college. Staying in my home enviornment won't help. I must leave in order to have a future for myself and my future family. The impoverished wastelands would not catch my eyes anymore. Broken bottles and drug needles won't pierce my feet as i walk. My eyes would see the light of freedom. Freedom is education.

If I was able to go back in time and give myself advice about transitioning into college I would tell myself staying focused is the number one factor. There will always be time for other things like friends and social acitivities. School work should be put first. Procrastination is a killer. I would advise myself to not procrastinate and to start an assignment the same day it is given to you. It is always better to take your time and put a good effort into your work. Rushing to finish assignments at the last minute is not the answer. I would also tell myself to apply to every scholarship I can get my hands on, it wouldnt hurt.

Ryan

Make sure to go to class, do your work early, and just get what you need done, done. The ability you have is great, just find that work ethic, fight for it and you can do so much better than you are now.

Ashleigh

I would say try to get very scholarsship you can so you can go to the college at you really want to. If you want to get there, you can with the drive to do it without that drive you can't do anything. Keep up that drive and you will be the best person you can be.

Get on the ball! Don't wait until the last minute to make a decision. Start finding scholarships earlier. Don't stress so much! Go after your dreams. Don't settle.

alberte

If i could go back in time to my senior year of high school, i would start off with a quote from Fredrick Douglas. It says “without struggle there is no progress” . I would be referring to the application processes for scholarships. I would tell myself to apply to as many scholarships as i can. I would say to complete a scholarship every week throughout the school year. This would open up my options in terms of picking which school i attend, and it would comfort me because i wouldn’t have to worry about any of my bills. It would also be comforting to my mother seeing that she is my sole provider, a struggling single parent, who supports not only me but my three siblings, and her siblings who came down from Haiti. I would tell myself that even when acceptance letters come out, college is expensive and though she may qualify for financial aid, it doesn’t mean she’s finically stable once in college .As a result in present day I would not only be finically stable throughout my 4 years in school but i would also avoid the little monsters under my bed called loans.