Oswego, NY
SUNY College at Oswego

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College at Oswego

By far the most diverse atmosphere where an open minded approach to many varying opinions fosters a truly enlightening educational experience.

Open minded individuals with a passion for education and making the world better.

I would tell myself to finish the Associate's degree before entering Oswego state. I would also assure myself that college is the best choice that I will make in my lifetime and that the experiences and friends will stay with me forever. I remeber being so afraid of the world and unsure of what I will do with my life and how I will get to that point. I would definitely tell myself that Oswego State is going to teach me how to better interact with others and enable me to take control of my life in such a proactive way that I will make leaps and bounds in my academic journey and personal enrichment. Myself now telling myself then would definitely stress the advantages of the many learning experiences that I will have once in college. These advantages and experiences will not only be experienced inside the classroom, but also as a member of the student senate and as becoming President and Vice President of my student union. I would definitely stress that the life I had known up until my graduation seriously pales to what I will experience in the four years I will spend at Oswego.

Marissa

I am in the Honors Program, and a lot of my classes are just with other kids in the Honors Program. I find them to be very hard-working and dedicated. It isn't like high school anymore where kids complain every day about school- my classmates are here to learn, and that is evident in their attitude and habits. There are, of course, some kids that would rather be anywhere else, but I find them to be the minority instead of the majority.

I would tell myself to calm down! I spent my entire senior year stressing about classes and making friends, but the whole process turned out to be so much easier than I had expected. I would tell myself to enjoy senior year, because college is an entirely different experience. When entering college, you start at the bottom all over again, and it is important to value the time you have at the top. I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships, because you do not realize how quickly the bills pile up. It is true that going out with friends may seem like the better option at the time, but in the long-run, reducing debt is the most important thing you can do.

People who are afraid of harsh weather should definitely not attend this school- being right on Lake Ontario, the wind is very harsh during the winter. Also, Oswego puts a strong emphasis on campus unity, so students who do not like to get involved would probably not feel comfortable here.

Regina

I would tell my High School Senior self to have confidence and believe in her self more. She should always ask questions to her teachers, her classmate and counsoler when she doesnt understand a topic or a situatuion that she can't handle by herself. she meet with a counsler and discuss her general requirment to a four year University, and she should take the easy classes first so she can understand more about the college system before taking the harder class. I would also strongly advise her to do well in all her classes and aim for A, so she can have a higher GPA and it will help her get into a good university. I understand that you are going experience some diffulculties along the road but she should be strong and believe in herself because she is capable of doing anything she puts her mind into it. The most vaulable lesson i would like to tell her is to learn to love her self more because that is essential for success in college.

Julie

They are mostly irresponsible and then expect the professor to bend over backwards to help them out, when in fact they didn't try hard enough in the first place.

I would tell myself to study harder and get a higher average. I would also tell myself not to stress over college too much because it has all worked out just great.

The kind of person who is extremely conservative and does not drink or have sex before marriage. I am all of the above and have gotten considerable ridicule for this. It's isolating but I don't mind. I'm focused on school and my future and I have a very full life at home.

Brianna

Work hard! It may seem easy at first but it is important to keep up on studying and not to slack off. You will find that you have a lot more growing up to do but always be true to yourself.

The beautiful sunset and wonderful friends I have made.

The weather! The wind is very brutal.

June

I believe that Oswego is a great place to attend school if you are looking for a small college community. Although the campus space is large, SUNY Oswego is pretty small in population when compared to other schools across the United States. Oswego, as a town, is definitely a college town, many of the businesses here strive on our presence and are glad we are here to go to the bars, clubs, rent housing, and shop. The best thing about Oswego is the ability to stand out. On a small campus it is not hard to make a name for yourself and really get to know faculty and staff. Although there are some large lecture classes, it is possible to become close with professors and really learn from their experiences and advice on your field of interest. When I tell people I attend SUNY Oswego, they usually have no clue what Oswego is, although this might seem negative it also allows you to set the bar. When meetings strangers, the way you carry yourself as an Oswego student can create a picture for the individual on what this campus is truly like. I spend the most time in the classroom when I am on campus. Although there are opportunities to join clubs, it is also important to finish one's major to graduate on time when considering all of the General Education Courses. These might slow one down and make it difficult to build a strong GPA while graduating on time. Taking extra time in the classroom is important to academic success here. Recent controversy on campus is limited parking. As we are expanding and building new parts of our campus, such as the science building, there are limited parking spots. This causes off-campus students to park there car a couple miles from campus and have shuttle buses bring them to and from their cars. This is a huge issue on campus that frustrated most students who commute or have their own apartments in town. As complaints have been submitted, there are no signs of change coming soon. As experience I will always remember about Oswego is the ability to connect with our alumni. There are organizations such as the Future Alumni Network and the ASK Program which allow students to connect with alumni to create opportunity for their future careers.

Academics at Oswego are pretty straight forward. It really depends on one's major and ability to focus in the classroom. As a business and graphic design student, I think if a student keeps a tight schedule and remains aware of their responsibilities, they should be fine. When choosing professors, it is a good idea to get recommendations since some professors may not be as helpful as other or teach to your specific learning style.

Some common stereotypes about being a student at Oswego is that we may not have programs as strong as other competing schools. I find that this stereotype is very inaccurate, each department has its own Chair and faculty that devote their time to consistently improving the curriculum based on the job climate. I also believe that it is assumed that Oswego students are not diverse. As the years go by, as a junior I have noticed the campus become more diverse based on students region of origin, ethnic background, and exposure to the United States and the world as a whole.

Ryan

We are best known for our party community from what I can tell. One major perk of going here in the computer science field is that we are also well known for having Douglas Lea as a professor here, along with amazing computer science faculty.

I would go back in time and tell myself to follow my gut. My instincts told me to accept my presidential scholarship at RIT and suck up the extra cost to go to my number one choice school, but Oswego's low pricing won out. Making the transition is easy when one is able to relate to a person or group of people with shared interests, which I feel I would've been more able to make at a different school.

I wish I had known that the vast majority of the students were near solely party-minded; I don't hold it against them but that's never been my idea of fun.

Melissa

I would tell myself to stop hanging around with the wrong people. I need people in my life who support and encourage me. Those who try to bring me down or prevent me from reaching my potential are unnecessary drama. I would tell myself to go to class every day and take it more seriously than I did in high school.

Vante

Dear Devante, this is your alter ego Vante and i am now a senior in college. I came to warn you, first about being laid back, in the begining of the year and then trying to catch up and be focus at the end of the year. Well college is nothing like high school. If you get behind in the begining of your semester, it will be very hard to catch up, and most professors won't let you catch up. So all the extra credit your trying to do just to boost your grade it's not going to work. Another thing is, it's not all about social life, you need to have time for yourself, instead of trying to hang out with your girlfriend, playing basketball with your "boys". If you have time for yourself, you will have time to do your homework, study and even read a book. Another thing do not get a girlfriend before college it's not going to work out. And plus you don't need any more stress that you have already. Ya'll will probably be in different colleges anyways, now its long distant. Ok Devante, Remember what i said.

The worst thing about my school would probably be the are not enough minorities on campus.

A person who doesnt like large settings such as, classroom, population, etc. it may be overwhelming especially if they came from a small high school.

Tyler

Despite the mundane and routine environment that high school offers you still need to apply yourself better. I know this all comes easy to you, but that does not mean that you should put off your homework only to finish it minutes before it is due. You could have easily maintain a much better grade point average if you just tried. Ok, so you aren't doing completely awful. You have never failed a class and rarely make a C. That is all fantastic if you are so content with being a barely above average student. Why don't you buckle down and go for gold? If you would've tried harder it would not have been difficult at all to maintain something of a 4.0 grade point average, and I wouldn't be going to a community college for you right now picking up the slack. Guess what highschool me, I have a 4.0 grade point average, so I don't want to hear any excuses. You should strive for greatness, unless you would rather attend a community college rather than a high class university. All you have to do is put a little more effort in.

SUNY College at Oswego administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.