Oswego, NY
SUNY College at Oswego

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College at Oswego

AMANDA

As a high school senior, you're focused on friends and the now, much more than the future. I know when I was a senior, I was dedicating a majority of my time to cheerleading and other extracurriculars. However now with my knowledge about college life, I wish I would have prepared myself more for the future and focusing on the detachment of my hometown. Removing yourself from what you're used to and the people you've grown up with is not an easy task! Preparing yourself to leave and take a step into adulthood opens your eyes into a new reality. Though it may seem hard to let go of what you've always known, use what you have learned the past eighteen years as stepping stones to a brighter future.

Everything. SUNY Oswego has a great campus, great staff and great student. What more could you ask for?! The tight knit community makes it easy to adjust to the school. My favorite part of the school is that both my sister and I attend the university full time. Our buildings our connected by a dining hall and fitness center. We can easily meet up, regardless of pesky weather!

Ryan

Students seem generally motivated and hard working. While there are a few students who do slack off, most students I have interacted with have been self-motivated and dedicated. Students are generally polite (it's rare to see a door not held open), and the residence halls are all friendly communities. The school could very well be described as a party school, as it is true that most students enjoy having a good time and there is a vibrant social atmosphere.

The main point I would tell myself would be to place more focus on interactions with the faculty, rather than the look of the buildings or atmosphere of the campus. While the visual appeal of the campus is important, I feel I may have become to focused on the physical appereance of the campus and missed out on opportunites to interact with potential professors. After completing one semester I realize now that, while it is nice to go to school in an enjoyable atmosphere, interaction with professors will always have a much larger impact on your day and thus overall college experience. I can manage staying in a dorm room I may feel is to cramped, but having to deal with a difficult professor day after day can really weigh on a person. I think the main reason why more emphasis may be put toward observing the atmosphere is that, for a high school senior, interacting with new professors at an open house or tour can be intimidating. The vast amount of new things being introduced was a lot for me to take in, which caused me to be more reserved around professors, leading me to ask less question.

The school seems to struggle to provide good entertainment for students. This fact puzzles me, considering that there's a new state-of-the-art hockey arena located in the center of campus. The Oswego Indie Series provides great music but beyond that the school leaves much to be desired. There's only one major concert the school provides each year, when I've heard of other SUNY's provided several more. I don't know if it's an issue with the Student Activities Board or the school itself, but much better entertainment could be provided.

Joseph

The area and the how close the community is.

The area and the how close the community is.

There are just a couple things I would have been happy knowing about before making the transition from high school to college. Although, the advice would not reveal a whole lot of what happens in this transition because this uncertainty is what makes the transition exciting and memorable. One tip I would definitely give myself before this transition would be not to be so worried about the process; everything will work out fine. Additionally, I would have told myself to try not to impress everyone and just be me. There are so many people in college and the world that will like you for who you are. Being you is entirely less stressful and usually comes with doing things that are of huge accomplishments. Lastly, I would have to myself to have an open mind. This is what my opinion on what college is really about. Having an open mind to the certain people and their views on the world is crucial to growing as a person. This transition is an uncertain and scary time in a person’s life but, it is also a time for getting to know yourself and growing as a person.

A person whose not looking for a really crowded school but, wants to make long lasting relationships while getting a good education.

Kristin

Oswego is a great place for anyone who can tolerate the winter months. It is most recognized for its excellent education and busniess programs. I think Oswego can be a great fit for almost anyone. On a sports level, it's a great school for hockey players. We are very proud of our hockey team and they have the entire community's support.

I loved Oswego. I received an excellent education, the faculty was friendly and knowledgeable, and the community was wonderful. I met some wonderful people in Oswego that became lifetime friends. The location is beautiful. Campus is located right on Lake Ontario, and although it can be brutally cold and snowy in the winter, it feels like you are on the ocean in the spring and summer. I graduated from the business school. The professors were extremely knowledgeable and very helpful when it came to career advice. Overall, SUNY Oswego has the whole package, and tuition was extremely affordable.

Chelsey

Obviously, from my college experience I will obtain what everybody's end goal is-a degree. I will have a tool that will assist me in becoming a successful, productive member of my society. However, college has been valuable for many other reasons. Group work is unavoidable, and while I dreaded it, it ended up being beneficial. I am now secure in my abilities to work alongside others in a professional environment. I have also been involved in on campus activities and oranizations such as WNYO (the student-run radio station), and the Judicial Affairs hearing board. Not only do these things give me experience in potential career fields, but they have also helped me increase my independence and self confidence. I have two and a half years left of undergraduate school, and I'm excited to see what else I can gain.

Before coming to this school I wish I had mroe information on the residence halls. For example, I chose to live in Seneca hall on West Campus due to its proximity to the academic buildings, not knowing that this was the loud, "party" side of campus.

Someone who doesn't enjoy social interaction should not come here. On-campus involvement has been a big part of my experience here, not to mention the school has a reputation for having a strong social scene.

Erin

My school has a welcoming environment, allowing for people to feel at home.

My school has a welcoming environment, allowing for people to feel at home.

I have made many friends during the course of my college experience. I have met many upperclassmen students that are willing to assist younger students in various ways. I have been able to practice my major, journalism, because of the student run newspaper. It has been valuable to attend SUNY Oswego because I have learned many new things that I would not have learned about if I did not attend this school. I have made many friends with all different backgrounds allowing me to experience different things.

It allows you to meet a lot of different people, making it to make friends with people from all different backgrounds. It offers a lot of different activies so there is something for everyone.

Leah

SUNY Oswego gave me unforgettable memories, connections, and friends both in and out of class and is a school I would reccommend to all.

Firstly, going away to attend any college or university is very beneficial to many students and helps teens and young adults to become more confident and self-reliant. SUNY Oswego presented me with the chance to live independently, go to school, and work while in a secure environment. While dorming, I found that there were many enjoyable and welcoming people to talk with as well as many clubs and activities to become involved with, either through residence life or ohter academic departmants. SUNY Oswego offers many amenities, such as three gym locations including a gym for just atheletes, as well as Lee Hall, an open rec facility for all students. There are also many intramural and club sports apart from varsity sports that any student can join. All of the above helped me to expand my horizons and meet new students during my attendance at SUNY Oswego. Sadly, I could not stay at Oswego for financial reasons and because I decided to become a pharmacist, one of the few things that is not offered at SUNY Oswego. The past three semesters were unforgettable and have allowed me to grow up to acquire sense and smarts alike.

SUNY Oswego is a wonderful university with many diverse opportunities. I attended SUNY Oswego for three semesters and have made many good friends and connections there. I transfered out because I decided that I wanted to become a pharmacist, and was accepted into a Pre-pharmaceutical program. I left Oswego only a few weeks ago but I will miss it dearly. Students who are interested in creating unforgettable friends and memories are encouraged to go here. Oswego offers many ammenities to resident and commuting students, and they offer many different majors and minors to suit almost any student.

Courtney

Expect most that you encounter to be "friends" during the course of the semester, but not so much after that.

I have matured so much since I graduated high school and began to attend college. Starting at community college made me realize that it is not the name of the school that matters, as I listened to tales of friends racking up high bills without knowing what they really wanted to do in life. At the end of the day, we are getting approximately the same knowledge. My undergraduate experience, although lacking socially, gave me the ability to grow academically and unleash a potential I otherwise might not have even known I had. Now I am attending a graduate school which is the perfect complement to my previous two colleges -- it is a career-oriented university that inspires me to lead. I may have been prepared academically after graduating with my Bachelor's degree, but I have come to learn that I was not as ready as I thought I was for the work force. Today, I am not only ready to launch a career, but I am more independent, confident, and goal-oriented than ever before. I feel that the path I have followed after high school was the perfect one for me.

I wish I had looked more into the diversity of the surrounding town and the racial tension within it.

Solimar

Well, i have never attended collage but im real excited to start now in December because thats something i have benn want it to do for a long time was get my life toghether with something i like doing or i would like doing.

SUNY College at Oswego administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.