Oswego, NY
SUNY College at Oswego

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College at Oswego

Jenna

Oswego is known for their academics and it's athletics. My school offers 110 majors and minors student can choose from. The average GPA is a 3.0. The Oswego hockey team is currently ranked number one in the nation for division 3. This huge accomplishment not only makes the games more exciting to watch, but it brings the college students and the community together as well.

I would tell myself to work harder to achieve higher grades which would allow me to attend a better school. I would also tell myself to look into other schools and compare the pros and cons. One thing I regret now is that I allowed myself to make volleyball the deciding factor on what school to attend. I now realize what a huge mistake that was. I've come to understand that for some people sports are a way of life and are a necessity, but not me. If it wasn't for volleyball, I do not think I would be at the school I am now. I've made some great friends on the team and it has been a good experience overall, but I wish I focused on more important aspects of a school, rather than just one.

Someone who is willing to work hard to achieve their goals, but still have some time for fun as well. It's important to have balance in your life when at Oswego, building relationships with your professors and peers makes the experience all that more enjoyable.

Good accounting program, beautiful lakeside campus, good social life.

Good accounting program, beautiful lakeside campus, good social life.

School comes first. It is your reason for being here. There will always be another party. Take care of all your work before having any fun. Never drink and drive, call a cab. READ. Read the material before you go to class and contribute to the discussion. Don't procrastinate. Study your syllabus, make sure you know what is expected of you and do it. Aim for a 4.0 right from the start, you should never be aiming for anything less. Don't ever be late for anything. Get involved on campus. Join as many clubs as you can, find something that interests you. Join honor societies or other organizations that will help boost your resume. Stay active; look into intramural sports or other healthy activities to get involved with. Take advantage of your unlimited meal plan - it's UNLIMITED. Develop relationships with your professors and alumni. NETWORK. Talk to everyone, make new friends and build relationships everywhere you go. Spend your money wisely. Always go to class. Take advantage of the library. Always Do ALL your work, don't ever miss a deadline or fail to turn in an assignment, get it done and turn it in.

Someone who hates the cold and does not drink alcohol.

Go to the school that feels right for YOU. Don't let anyone else try to talk you into going to a specific college, and definitely don't base your decision solely on the financial aspect of college. Take risks and get out of your comfort zone every once in a while! You will constantly be thrown into situations that may not be ideal for you later in your life and you will need to know how to handle them. That's what college is all about. It's not only learning inside the classroom, but outside as well. You will be provided with so many opportunities to connect with others, try new things, and improve your life skills. Take advantage of everything you are given and don't be afraid to ask for help from others. There's always room for improvement, so don't be too proud to ask someone who might be more knowledgable on the topic for their help/opinion. You're officially an adult and your future is in your hands. You make the decisions from here on out, so make them count!

The worst thing about Oswego is that the campus isn't very well-connected. All of the buildings are very spread out, and the athletic facility isn't even on campus.

This college is best for someone who can appreciate the beauty of a historical school, with a modern edge to it. It?s great for someone who wants to get involved and make the most of their college education. It?s also great for sports fans, seeing as the athletic teams (especially the hockey team) are phenomenal. Because Oswego is a smaller school, it?s a very close-knit community and you truly get a sense of community from the student body at this school. It's also great for those who prefer more attention due to the smaller classes.

Tessa

My first year of college was a little rocky. Filled with many different experiences, good, and bad. However, I would never take any of my good, or bad experiences back because college is all about growing up, learning new things, and finding yourself, and in order to do those things one must make some mistakes. So, the only real good advice I would give myself is three simple words. STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!

I would have to say the best part of my last school was that since it was a Community College it was not nearly as expensive as a four year college.

I was attending a Community College but I just transferred to Oswego and I start in a week. The most frustrating thing with my old College was that if I ever needed help getting something done such as, changing a class, finding out information about the website, sending my transcript to a different college, and so on, I always recieved the run around and had to talk to several different people for a simple question. It took literally over two months just for CCC to send my transcript , and over a month for them to fix an incorrect grade.

Oswego State is a a culturally diverse school with lots of extra curricular activites.

Treat school like a high paying important CEO job.

Going to school at Oswego State is such a different experience. In the Spring you can go swimming and enjoy camp fires on lake ontario and in the winter you can go skiing everyday.

Allison

I would slap myself in the face. I would tell myself that I need to be more responsible and I need to get my butt on a computer and start applying to scholarships and save money. I woul also tell myself that I can still have fun and still get my work done, but school work comes before anything else. i would also say that, I can relax and I don't need to be nervous and also don't talk to a guy by the name of Camren, future ex-boyfriend. College is hard and very challenging, but it can be easy if you just do your work and be responsible. Don't worry about anyone else and he/shes' problem, worry about yourself. Also, have fun and be yourself, be safe, smart and responsible.

The best thing at my school would have to be the Oswego Lakers Hockey team. I've never watched hockey before I came to my school. My friends took me to the first game and I fell in love. I've tried to go to every game but I also cheer for the basketball team. Our hockey team has been undefeated so far in their competition. Go Lakers!

I brag about all the fun I have in my school. I tell my friends back home that college was the best desicion I have ever made. I tell them about all my new friends that I have met, the cheerleading team, about all the activities to do such as; swimmimg at the lake, playing volleyball and swimming in our indoor swimming pool. I have convinced two of my friends who chose not to go to college and one is attending at college in the spring and the other in looking into it next fall. I love my awesome college.

College is a tremendous step in the life of an emerging student, a step that shows further determination to move onto a higher education. Throughout my senior year, I constantly kept wondering what college would be like, and if I was ready for this big transition. Recently finishing my first semester, I have mixed feelings about what I could have done differently and how the expectations I had coming into college changed. First of all, college is entirely different from high school - there is much more self-initiative required, along with an extensive workload. Also, you are in complete control of your life - there are no parents or guardians there to care and protect you, a fact that many college students have often had trouble dealing with. If I had the chance to go back to my senior year, I would have told myself to take high school more seriously, so that I could be better prepared for the amount of work ahead of me. In addition, I would have lived life more fully, and appreciated those who love and care for me while they were still in close contact, thereby making me more prepared for this new college experience.

Some of the most respectable attributes about our school are the rigorous degree programs, size of the campus, and the availability of a variety of activities and attractions. Taking the Honors program has already prepared me for how much work I will have to do the rest of my college career, and being able to interact with numerous students has shaped me socially and intellectually. There is something for every student on campus, as well, and everyone is invited to participate. I have found immense pleasure going to college as a result, and desire to perservere in my given program.

It would have been beneficial to know how much work I would have had to put into my first semester. I was able to keep up with all of the assignments given to me but was not expecting it to be such a strenuous endeavor. Thankfully, I was able to maintain a respectable GPA but not without plenty of hard work and a diligent attitude to follow through with all of my tasks. If high school seniors are made more aware of how much work they will have to do, it will prepare them more efficiently for their first semester.

Amber

SUNY Oswego is a campus that gives students the opportunity to develop and begin their career; through their clubs and variety of majors and minors students can decide on a career, and once they do that they can begin to create an impressive resume for the future.

Dear High school senior self, I know that you have been really worried about leaving your family and going to college, but its better than you expect. In the beginning of high school you really struggled to do well, but with hard work you have really changed your gpa as a high school senior, which was part of the reason you were accepted to so many schools. I know that one of the things you are most afraid of is the class work. However at SUNY Oswego the teachers are really supportive, especially when they see how dedicated you are. If you are having a hard time there are many ways to get extra help. Also theres ways to do community service, and they have Relay for Life on the campus so you can still be involved in the events you enjoy. You also have a mailbox, which you share with a roommate, and if your homesick it really helps to write letters to your family, and when you get one back, its so exciting! Make sure to bring some pictures of family and friends. When you visit home, you are actually going to miss college! Love, Your College self

The best thing about SUNY Oswego is its diversity. The campus has so many international students,hat one of the dorms is an international dorm, yet any student is allowed to stay in it. There are over 140 organizations for students, if a student doesn't like any of the clubs, they can create their own. SUNY Oswego offers students a variety of academic support through tutoring, a 24 hour study room at the library, and "ask a librarian" Finally, SUNY Oswego is located on Lake Ontario, the sunsets are beautiful and gives the campus its own unique feature.

Dylan

If I had to go back into time and speak with myself as a senior I would definitely have to say the biggest thing into making life, and the transition easier into college would be to be an ADULT. This means taking responsibility for your actions, knowing if you have a class at nine in the morning, understand you can?t be up all night and expect to wake up and make it every day on time. Or being able to wake yourself up every morning and get yourself to where you need to be. Being independent is HUGE; it truly is the start of your life to come. Because when you go to school there isn?t mom and dad to come home to every day and rescue you. You need to make responsible and rational decisions, now I?m not saying don?t make a wrong choice because that?s all part of growing up and being human. Yet now is the time in your life where you literally and actually have to become an adult whether you choose to or not, and now is the time to step up to the plate and do so.

How much snow Oswego really does tend to get, and how much the lake effect really does make you not want to go out side. Also the difference in styles from living and the trends, and the attitudes as well as the perspectives of people moving from Vermont to New York.

When I return home I brag about how my school has a wide variety of options and different programs it has to offer, as well as how professional and understanding the falculty and student body is. I discusss how I don't pay tuition out the rear, and how I am at a large State University and I want to spend the next four years there, and how happy I am to be a Laker!

Alexander

Be open minded. The first thing I learned when I entered college is that it is not the the promised land that it is made out to be during high school. It is a lot of hard work and effort to stay on top, just like anything else. However, if you go in with an open mind and the willingness to try, college can be one of the greatest experiences of your life. It will change you and how you percieve the world. Let it. It will allow you to see through the fog of your childhood ideals and see the world in a way you never expected and you will come to understand what is truely important. Just go in with an open mind and you'll do great.

The best thing about SUNY Oswego is the vibrant community full of people who treat you as equals and are more than willing to help those in need. The teachers are open and treat the students with respect and recieve the same in return. It is a great place to find yourself and prepare yourself for the "real" world.

People willing to learn, and not just in the classrooms. One of the great things about SUNY Oswego is that it is a vibrant community full of people that are more than willing to help you grow. The people who attend SUNY Oswego should be optimistic and full of the desire to learn and better themselves.

SUNY College at Oswego administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.