Plattsburgh, NY
SUNY College at Plattsburgh

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College at Plattsburgh

Melissa

My school is best known for their amazing art work and rich envioronment. We are surrounded my by the Adirondack mountains and the Champlain Valley River. SUNY Plattsburgh makes your academic experience as comfortable and safe as possible. I never thought that I, a city girl was ever going to get used to the Plattsburgh community. But the beauty of SUNY Plattsburgh is that is surrounded by wonderful people, art, mountains, rivers that it brings you in and comforts and nortures you throughout your college experience. SUNY Plattsburgh is known for changing lives!

Plattsburgh State University is a beautiful campus and is the perfect place to call a 2nd home. It is surrounded by beautiful art work all throughout the campus giving you a feel as if you were walking through a museum. The people are generous and kind. The size of the campus is just right and classes and dorms are spaced out perfectly for your convinience. Every season that passes by at Plattsburgh are breathtaking, from the gorgeous colorful trees, clear snow, bright green grass, and the gorgeous summer mornings echoed by the sounds of birds.

SUNY Plattsburgh helped me become the woman I was meant to be! SUNY Plattsburgh provided me with a rich envioronment filled with the most caring, professional and educated people one will ever find. I never thought a city girl was going to get used to a place like Plattsburgh, but the people and the gorgeous environment grows on you more everday. SUNY Plattsburgh has very supportive staff and teachers who always make time to talk to you and give you the support and guidance that you need regardless of your gender, religion , ethnicity or sexual orientation. It is that small campus with the big heart. Everyone that steps into Plattsburgh comes out a different person. SUNY Plattsburgh allowed me to establish the first Latina sorority on campus, giving us Latinas the support and the guidance we needed to become active leaders in the community. SUNY Plattsburgh allowed me to leave my mark in their history book, it brought out the best in me and allowed me to step outside of the "crayola" box but most importantly, made sure that I knew what was inside "my box" (self-discovery) and embrace the person that I was and wanted to become.

I am majoring in the field of Speech-Language Pathology, I have really enjoyed my major so far. I find my field to be fascinating because there are so many different ways I can apply the information learned. This field has opened my eyes to many different intellectual, physical, and mental disabilities that people can have. I believe that because of my choice in this major, I have become a much more tolerant person. I talk to people who have disabilities, the same way that I would talk to someone who does not. I now understand that he or she may be fully capable of understanding, even if it does not appear that way. I have learned ways to facilitate conversation between myself and others by using cues that I previously would not have thought of. I know how to slow my speech and use gestural cues to help in the understanding of messages. I feel that I am a better person because of what I have learned through my studies. When I am having a conversation with someone who is different me, I am better able to put myself in their shoes and understand their point of view.

For a college campus, it is very well laid out, and it is pretty.

This is a great school for just about anyone, there are lots of programs and majors, I highly recommend this school!

Sue

My classmates are all interested in learning and doing their best, achieving their goals and making friends.

What I would do differently today than when I was a senior is to not get so worried about leaving to go to school. I get cold feet during breaks and before the school year begins. My first year of college I was very nervous to pack up and leave. I kept saying good-bye to all of my friends every night. I am getting better about the transition and see that whether I live at home or on campus I am enjoying my life and not missing anything.

I think the kind of person who wouldn't fit in with this college is one who wants to party too much and is not economically friendly.

Benjamin

Friendly, co-ed, diverse campus in middle of the community where community and campus usually work to get along together--and--professors are outgoing and wiling to take the time to talk on and off campus.

When preparing to choose a college--choose a college for you, not one that will impress everyone else in your class or community. College is not just a moment in your senior year to brag about where you got in--you actually have to now go to this college of "choice" and fit in both socially, academically and culturally. While it easy to be swayed by the big name schools, they are not always they best personal fit. Even if you can get in to the "name" colleges, they might not make you happy. Four years of college should offer more than just a name--or--even a classroom. Pick a college wisely that you can fit into quickly, yet one that allows room to grow.If a city really makes you uncomfortable, then don't pick a college in a city--even if it has a "big" name-- hoping you will get used to it. Finding a college should be like finding a good pair of jeans--you don''t have to break it in to be comfortable. It should "feel right" to you--even if it isn't the choice to everyone giving you the "right" advise.

Anyone wanting to get an affordable, but excelent education in a small middle class commun ity would be happy at this school--it is not for thise who need a status name college.

Selena

I know that you have been stressed about college applications, grades, and SAT scores but I'm here to tell you to relax. Everything will get done, stressing does nothing to aid the process. In fact, it hinders it. When you get the chance apply for more scholarships. College is expensive and it's only going to get more expensive as tuition increases ensue and the cost of college books go up. Over the summer, rather then fretting about the big move make sure you have built strong foundations in math, grammar, and writing skills. A strong foundation in both will help you immensely in all of your college courses. Also take some time to get healthy! Eat better and exercise. College is a germ fest, sickness spread faster than wild fire. If someone in the next room sneezes you can be sure that you'll be sick soon enough, so start getting healthier today. Enjoy those moments with your family because you'll miss them soon enough. And in closing be sure to remember that as sad as it is to leave old friends behind you can be sure that new and wondrous ones are on their way.

The weather! Since SUNY Plattsburgh is so far up north it gets so cold up here. It's especially hard during the times when you have to walk from one end of campus to the other. While the school does provide shuttle buses to take you to different parts of campus, sometimes its to cold to bother waiting for it.

Casey

My classmates are hungover, unwiling, unenthusiastic and wished partying was a major.

To be honest, my school is known for two things, partying and teaching majors. My school, Plattsburgh, is also known at Plasterburgh. This name portrays how everyone views it as a place to drink and have fun. Education is not everyone's top priorty here. This is why I am going to transfer. College is a place of learning, of furthering one's education; Plattsburgh is not the place for this. As for teacher majors, I have not come across one, so I do not know why it is known for this.

Dear Casey, You are wise and intelligent but can be easily deceived. No matter what you do when picking a college, abstain from selecting one based upon others! Make your own decision. You should contemplate the college size, location, price, available majors, and it?s overall aesthetic appeal and inner community. Do not take your friends opinions into great consideration. While your friends opinions can be essential, they may love the college for different reasons. For example, they may like a college because the party life is amazing, but this is not what college is about! And I don?t mean to bust your bubble, but you?re going to choose a college for all the wrong reasons. You primarily based your decision on the price. However, cheaper is not always better! It is cheap for a reason. Paying a little more will benefit you greatly in the end. Listen to me and you will get the most for your money. I hope you take my advise and pick the perfect college! If not, I guess you could always transfer. Sincerely, Your Future Self

Theresa

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to worry so much about fitting in when starting a new school. I'd tell myself to relax and enjoy my last year of high school more without stressing over if I was going to fit in at a new place. Also, I'd tell myself that you should really take all the AP and college level courses possible because it really helps you out in the long run. College may seem like a scary place to go off to when you are 18 and leaving your home for the first time, but it opens you up to a bigger and better world, and thus far, my college experience has truly prepared me to enter the workforce upon my graduation.

How cold it is up in Plattsburgh, because during the winter temperatures sometimes make it unbearable to walk to class.

An out-going, fun person because there are alot of chances to get involved in clubs and greek life.

Terra

High school seniors think they know it all. They are worry free and think they can handle anything. I too, was one of those teenagers. I was too busy being social and put the community college I was attending on the back burner. Because of poor grades from not seeing the reality of college, I stopped going to school to work full time. A few years later, I realized I had to go back to college to work towards a more fufilling career. I am now a full time college student with a 3.78 GPA persuing my career in childhood education. If I were to go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would want to make sure I understood that you need to balance school and your social life. School work needs to come first , that is what will make you succeed in life. It's not going to matter that you have a million friends when you go for a job interview. What matters is that you were successful in school and expereinced in your field. Being aware of the reality of college is the most important in the transition from high school to college.

I currently attend the Suny Plattsburgh Branch Campus located in Queensbury, NY. This campus is most beneficial for returning students or adults who have jobs and families and can't travel far. Although, this is Plattsburgh, it is nothing like its main campus located in Plattsburgh, NY. So if your considering this school, make sure you realize that there is not a lot of extracurricular activities and there is no sports. The best thing about this school is it is convenient for people who are not able to go away to college.

I was fully aware of what to expect coming to this school. I had previously attended Adirondack Community College that was located right next door. I am familiar with the area and it is close to home. I am still able to work a little bit while I attend school. The location of the branch campus is great for people who still have to work and pay bills while attending school without having to drive a great distance.

Plattsburgh State was my first choice college. When my sister went away to college, she chose to leave our small rural community for city living. I value my family, and all my family is here. I wanted to stay close by. Even with the benefit of having Plattsburgh State close by and being able to drive to school each day, there are a few things I would tell myself if I had the chance to go back in time. Most importantly, I would advise myself that even if a person goes away to college it does not mean they value their family less. Even a college a couple hours away from home would have given me more of a college experience than what I am accustomed to now. I am almost two years into my college life and I don't feel a drastic change. Eventually, there will come a time when I will leave home and become independant. I know now that college life prepares a person for that. Not only does it help you to become more independant, it also gives you that opportunity to make new friends and that is something I am missing out on.

The best thing about my school is that is is just the right size. A person can walk across campus in fifteen minutes. Another benefit of having such a small school is the student to teacher ratio. Knowing your major when entering college helped me because I have had many teachers twice already. I have gotten to know them on a personal basis just by being in their classes and participating. It is eay to make friends with the teachers when classes can have eight to twenty five students per class.

I expected that there would be drinking at this school, and most school when I applied to them. I am not the kind of person who finds fun in drinking. I think it is more beneficial to devote hard work to school to get further in life. However, since most of fun does center around drinking I feel like I missing out on one of the most beneficial experiences of all, making friends. I wish that I had known that staying so close to home would cause me to become more introverted.

Diana

Education majors, also for the hockey team

Education majors, also for the hockey team

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have many words of wisdom. I would tell myself that choosing a school based on how many friends you have there is a bad choice. I would also tell myself that having a hard schedule as a senior is important because you are going to have a hard schedule in college and if you start out with a hard schedule you dont have to adjust as much. The transition from high school to college in major, and if I were to tell myself something if I could go back in time I would say try to be as independent as possible when you are in high school because mom and dad arent going to be there for you everyday.

Someone who doesnt like to work hard. Also someone who would rather be in a more loud surrounding. Someone who likes the city more than the country.

SUNY College at Plattsburgh administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.