Plattsburgh, NY
SUNY College at Plattsburgh

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College at Plattsburgh

Kimberly

My advice for both parents and students when trying to find that perfect college is to definately go visit the school. I visited all the schools I applied too and I am very happy I did because some schools I could never see myself at. When you visit the college you will know what one is the right one for you. It is a feeling you get when you step right on campus. To me, that feeling was home. As soon as I got to Plattsburgh State I got this feeling that it was like my second home and everyone there was my family. When you visit make sure you interact with the faculty and see if they will be helpful to your needs. Also, visit the surrounding area around campus and see what there is to do in the town. If you can, interact with the students as well and get to know them. See what type of people attend the college and what they like to do in their spare time. Visiting the college would be my biggest advice because college will be your home and the people will be your family for the next four years.

You should really have an open mind if you want to attend Plattsburgh State and be willing to meet new people and try new activities. Also, you must be someone who is academically driven and looks into the future.

I absolutely love this school but the cleaniness of my building and the bathroom are something that frustrate me. Every time we try to resolve the issue no one is willing to help with the problem or change the situation. The most frustrating thing is that it is only my building and not any of the others.

Rebecca

The sports my school is best known for is hockey, the entire community loves going to hockey games at PSU and are very supportive of both the Men and Womens teams. Both of those teams have been very successful. It is also known for the School of Business and Economics, which is Internationally accredited, and the amazing education department.

In order to discover which campus is right for you, you must visit more than just one or two campuses. Seeing the campus, meeting faculty and students, and exploring communities these campuses are located in should help you visualize what your experiences there will be like. Location is very important in choosing a school. When I was trying to decide what school was right for me, I took into consideration how far away from my family I would be, I had young neices and nephew at the time and did not want to be far from them. Luckily I live only a few minutes from a wonderful school that turned out to be the perfect place for me. Looking back on it now, I am very grateful that I had many options while looking at schools, but it turned out that the perfect school was right in my backyard the whole time. Not everyone is lucky enough to have their dream school so close by, but it is definately worth it to look into nearby school for at least your freshman year, many people find it hard to experience a new place and new school without family support near by.

One great thing about my school is the faculty. Professors are very supportive and let you know where you stand at all times, if there is anything they can do to help you, they will do it. The location is also very good, it is located near downtown Plattsburgh where there are many restaurants, good shopping, and provided employment for many students.

Clara

There are many ways for parents and/or students to go about finding the right college. I believe that one of the best ways to find the right college is to do some thorough researching about schools. Contact colleges of potential interests and ask them to mail you information, speak to current students at the schools, and set up dates to visit these schools. Become familiar with the college of your choice before you start atteding so that the transition will be easier for you. Become aware of all the services and events that your college has to offer. Make it your job to get to know your professors and get feedback from them throughout the semester. Start saving for college as soon as possible; money is very much needed and essential when one is in college. Not being financially stable can really work against a student in college. Try to be outgoing and become involved in areas of interest at your school or school community. Try to become involved with community service and volunteer opportunities. Socialize with people and learn how to be positively social because you will have to have some people skills to get through life.

The size; The school isnt too big therefore the group sizes for classes arent too big and they allow for more 1 on 1 assistance to be provided on an as needed basis.

A person who is open minded and can take change and new unfamiliar things, aspects or people with no problem. Someone who doesnt mind cold weather(its pretty cold up here in the winter).

Jean

Very friendly, easy to talk to and ask questions. They are in the same spot as you, so getting along is not a problem

Visit the college before you chose the one you want to go to. See if its really what you want. Ask questions about the college too, do not be shy during a campus tour. It will be your home for the next four years, and if you want the best for yourself do not be afarid to put yourself out there

The best thing about SUNY Plattsburgh is that its an open campus. Its one of the few schools that is actually in the town, instead being in our own little quarters. We interact with community, and learn about them and where they came from. Plattsburgh is also very historical, with the Battle of 1812 being fought just a mile down the road from the school. Montreal, Burlington and Lake Placid are all a hour away drive as well.

It has medium to small sized classes which work perfectly for me. Its a very community based college too... the community is involved in many things.

Students: Chose the college based on your needs, not where your friends are going. Moving away from home may be hard the first few weeks, but it is a great learning experience and can change your life. You will meet the most amazing people and it really is the time of your life. Parents: Dont choose the college for your child. You always are welcome to voice your opinions but let you child make the final decision. Let your child be homesick- incourage them to go out and make friends. Dont let them come home until after they have spent atleast one semester-- dont let them quit the first week. Things change quickly-- dont expect your child to return the same way they left- they will grow and expand and have new outlooks on life... its all apart of growing up and becoming independant.

The friendlyness of students and staff. There is always someone around to help you or to talk to.

Zachariah

In all honesty, unless you have your career path picked out, find a nice liberal arts college and start taking classes that interest you. There is too much emphasis on finishing your degree. So much infact that a lot of students miss out on the true meaning of college. It isn't supposed to just be the next step, its supposed to expose you to the things you were unable to experience in highschool. Never again will you have a melting pot of so many ideas, students, and facultiy who are willing to go the extra mile just to make a difference in your life. With this being said, another word of wisdome I would provide to the student is to research your college choices wisely. Not just for academics but also for enviornmental type and fell. 'Hippy Colleges' are good schools but someone who is more focused in computers or technology probably wouldn't feel they found their niche. The same would go for someone looking for a more outdoor oriented feel, but looking at a technology oriented school. Oh and one more thing, DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT ATTEND A SCHOOL BECAUSE OF A BOY/GIRLFRIEND.

I wish I knew the Buisness College at my school was so well ranked otherwise I wouldn't have spent thousands of dollars at another university in Colorado. Being nationally accredited is a rare thing these days but very vaulable in the world of Finance.

I believe the worst thing about our school is that a majority of our students are from NYC. Thus when they come upstate they bring some of the dangerous aspects from NYC and promote them around here. These include Drugs, Violence, and Debauchery which really take away from the college experience. However I do believe they bring a lot of good values and morals as well, I just wish it didn't come with the price tag that it does.

SUNY College at Plattsburgh administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.