SUNY College at Plattsburgh

« See more reviews of SUNY College at Plattsburgh

SUNY Plattsburgh helped me become the woman I was meant to be! SUNY Plattsburgh provided me with a rich envioronment filled with the most caring, professional and educated people one will ever find. I never thought a city girl was going to get used to a place like Plattsburgh, but the people and the gorgeous environment grows on you more everday. SUNY Plattsburgh has very supportive staff and teachers who always make time to talk to you and give you the support and guidance that you need regardless of your gender, religion , ethnicity or sexual orientation. It is that small campus with the big heart. Everyone that steps into Plattsburgh comes out a different person. SUNY Plattsburgh allowed me to establish the first Latina sorority on campus, giving us Latinas the support and the guidance we needed to become active leaders in the community. SUNY Plattsburgh allowed me to leave my mark in their history book, it brought out the best in me and allowed me to step outside of the "crayola" box but most importantly, made sure that I knew what was inside "my box" (self-discovery) and embrace the person that I was and wanted to become.

There are many ways for parents and/or students to go about finding the right college. I believe that one of the best ways to find the right college is to do some thorough researching about schools. Contact colleges of potential interests and ask them to mail you information, speak to current students at the schools, and set up dates to visit these schools. Become familiar with the college of your choice before you start atteding so that the transition will be easier for you. Become aware of all the services and events that your college has to offer. Make it your job to get to know your professors and get feedback from them throughout the semester. Start saving for college as soon as possible; money is very much needed and essential when one is in college. Not being financially stable can really work against a student in college. Try to be outgoing and become involved in areas of interest at your school or school community. Try to become involved with community service and volunteer opportunities. Socialize with people and learn how to be positively social because you will have to have some people skills to get through life.

In all honesty, unless you have your career path picked out, find a nice liberal arts college and start taking classes that interest you. There is too much emphasis on finishing your degree. So much infact that a lot of students miss out on the true meaning of college. It isn't supposed to just be the next step, its supposed to expose you to the things you were unable to experience in highschool. Never again will you have a melting pot of so many ideas, students, and facultiy who are willing to go the extra mile just to make a difference in your life. With this being said, another word of wisdome I would provide to the student is to research your college choices wisely. Not just for academics but also for enviornmental type and fell. 'Hippy Colleges' are good schools but someone who is more focused in computers or technology probably wouldn't feel they found their niche. The same would go for someone looking for a more outdoor oriented feel, but looking at a technology oriented school. Oh and one more thing, DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT ATTEND A SCHOOL BECAUSE OF A BOY/GIRLFRIEND.

I know that you have been stressed about college applications, grades, and SAT scores but I'm here to tell you to relax. Everything will get done, stressing does nothing to aid the process. In fact, it hinders it. When you get the chance apply for more scholarships. College is expensive and it's only going to get more expensive as tuition increases ensue and the cost of college books go up. Over the summer, rather then fretting about the big move make sure you have built strong foundations in math, grammar, and writing skills. A strong foundation in both will help you immensely in all of your college courses. Also take some time to get healthy! Eat better and exercise. College is a germ fest, sickness spread faster than wild fire. If someone in the next room sneezes you can be sure that you'll be sick soon enough, so start getting healthier today. Enjoy those moments with your family because you'll miss them soon enough. And in closing be sure to remember that as sad as it is to leave old friends behind you can be sure that new and wondrous ones are on their way.

I am majoring in the field of Speech-Language Pathology, I have really enjoyed my major so far. I find my field to be fascinating because there are so many different ways I can apply the information learned. This field has opened my eyes to many different intellectual, physical, and mental disabilities that people can have. I believe that because of my choice in this major, I have become a much more tolerant person. I talk to people who have disabilities, the same way that I would talk to someone who does not. I now understand that he or she may be fully capable of understanding, even if it does not appear that way. I have learned ways to facilitate conversation between myself and others by using cues that I previously would not have thought of. I know how to slow my speech and use gestural cues to help in the understanding of messages. I feel that I am a better person because of what I have learned through my studies. When I am having a conversation with someone who is different me, I am better able to put myself in their shoes and understand their point of view.

In order to discover which campus is right for you, you must visit more than just one or two campuses. Seeing the campus, meeting faculty and students, and exploring communities these campuses are located in should help you visualize what your experiences there will be like. Location is very important in choosing a school. When I was trying to decide what school was right for me, I took into consideration how far away from my family I would be, I had young neices and nephew at the time and did not want to be far from them. Luckily I live only a few minutes from a wonderful school that turned out to be the perfect place for me. Looking back on it now, I am very grateful that I had many options while looking at schools, but it turned out that the perfect school was right in my backyard the whole time. Not everyone is lucky enough to have their dream school so close by, but it is definately worth it to look into nearby school for at least your freshman year, many people find it hard to experience a new place and new school without family support near by.

Make sure you like the appearence of the campus. My mom knew right away and it became my school for the past 3 years unregretably. Talk to a few of the students you see around campus that you do not know and see how they respond to you. If they are friendly, your not in for a rude awakening. Ask lots of questions to your tour guides or orientation staff, chances are you are not going to see them again and chances are if they can answer all of your questions without too much thought, they are fond of the school and most likely so will your future college students. Remember that most situations can be changed and colleges will do their best to accomadate you if your child has a problem ,so take the time in looking at other things such as the size of the school. This is most important because it will determine how well your child will fit in, and how much expirience your child can allow themselves. By knowing the style of your child, you first must determine if your child needs a small, medium or large school, and then go from there. Good luck

Dear Casey, You are wise and intelligent but can be easily deceived. No matter what you do when picking a college, abstain from selecting one based upon others! Make your own decision. You should contemplate the college size, location, price, available majors, and it?s overall aesthetic appeal and inner community. Do not take your friends opinions into great consideration. While your friends opinions can be essential, they may love the college for different reasons. For example, they may like a college because the party life is amazing, but this is not what college is about! And I don?t mean to bust your bubble, but you?re going to choose a college for all the wrong reasons. You primarily based your decision on the price. However, cheaper is not always better! It is cheap for a reason. Paying a little more will benefit you greatly in the end. Listen to me and you will get the most for your money. I hope you take my advise and pick the perfect college! If not, I guess you could always transfer. Sincerely, Your Future Self

Plattsburgh State was my first choice college. When my sister went away to college, she chose to leave our small rural community for city living. I value my family, and all my family is here. I wanted to stay close by. Even with the benefit of having Plattsburgh State close by and being able to drive to school each day, there are a few things I would tell myself if I had the chance to go back in time. Most importantly, I would advise myself that even if a person goes away to college it does not mean they value their family less. Even a college a couple hours away from home would have given me more of a college experience than what I am accustomed to now. I am almost two years into my college life and I don't feel a drastic change. Eventually, there will come a time when I will leave home and become independant. I know now that college life prepares a person for that. Not only does it help you to become more independant, it also gives you that opportunity to make new friends and that is something I am missing out on.

High school seniors think they know it all. They are worry free and think they can handle anything. I too, was one of those teenagers. I was too busy being social and put the community college I was attending on the back burner. Because of poor grades from not seeing the reality of college, I stopped going to school to work full time. A few years later, I realized I had to go back to college to work towards a more fufilling career. I am now a full time college student with a 3.78 GPA persuing my career in childhood education. If I were to go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would want to make sure I understood that you need to balance school and your social life. School work needs to come first , that is what will make you succeed in life. It's not going to matter that you have a million friends when you go for a job interview. What matters is that you were successful in school and expereinced in your field. Being aware of the reality of college is the most important in the transition from high school to college.