SUNY College at Plattsburgh Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for SUNY College at Plattsburgh

Antonette

Naive, curious, open to learn; I came into Suny Plattsburgh as a freshman in 2014. I had not done my research or visited the school but I knew this would be my home for the next four years and I had to make the best of it. I came in undeclared and now I am a Biology and Nutrition double major hoping to get into the prestigious Nursing program at Plattsburgh state. I have grown to appreciate Plattsburgh as well as all the new faces I met. With the clubs, teams and groups that Plattsburgh has to offer, I found my niche by joining the African unity club as well as the cheer leading team. I believe I have made some lifelong friends and will continue to grow with them. Furthermore, the school stresses student safety when it comes to alcohol use, rape and other activities college students might get themselves into. This is very important for the safety of everyone and also helping ignorant or inexperienced student to know some of the dangers they can face and how to handle the situations as well as where and how to get help. Academically, I had advisers and peers talk to me to steer me in the direction that would benefit me. I always knew I would be in the medical field but finding what I was most passionate about was a challenge. I had multiple counselors who I had access to and still have access to and they helped me reach my decision of hoping to become a nurse. Plattsburgh is a place for anyone who is looking for a new perspective, a challenge as well as personal growth. I have grown and hope to continue growing.

Charles

I believe that SUNY College at Plattsburgh is a quality school and is more than worth the price. For such a cheap school Plattsburgh provides so much for the students. The housing on campus is absolutely terrific and the residence life staff are some of the nicest people ever. Overall the campus feels more like home than any other campus I’ve been on.

Tianna

Overall the classes I’ve taken are great and the teachers are friendly and helpful. The people here are friendly. The campus is located close to shops and the mall. SUNY Plattsburgh is also close to Vermont and Canada if you want to get away for the weekend.

Nikki

Overall it's a good school. The only good food option is Algonquin, and it's the one food place that isn't open for a long period of time. The campus is small enough that you can't get lost, but big enough that you won't get bored. The people are nice, professors are willing to help outside of class, but you must be the one to reach out to them. I don't regret my choice of coming here, I just wish it wasn't so up North because it gets cold. Be prepared with heavy coats and lots of medicine. Lastly, the wifi is pretty decent. Only downside is that you won't have any connection unless you're inside a building.

Ivy

This College is better to know people and explore things that you haven't done before. Socializing isn't a opinion here, if you don't meet people then thing will get boring. Housing on Campus lets you meet new friends easily and even find your best friend that you be looking for. I think Suny Plattsburgh is a place fro fun and making connection.

Maimuna

SUNY Plattsburgh is a campus that has an amazing academic system. On this campus, you will see many students involved, and everyone wants to become something bigger in their future. Most of the professors are very caring of thier students, and they are always going out their way to help students perform well in their work. In addition, it is very easy to fit in here at SUNY Plattsburgh.

Deena

I have spent all four years here at SUNY Plattsburgh and i personally loved it. there is a ton of activities that are available to you including, but not limited to; hiking in the Adirondacks, swimming in the lake that is a mile from campus, a ton of recreational sports, free bike rentals, skiing, and free ice skating in the winter. The price is one of the lowest for SUNY schools and over all it has some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Marie

I love Plattsburgh! The campus is beautiful, the people are friendly, and the facilities and services are high quality. Obviously there's always room for improvement but I think Plattsburgh does a really good job of being accommodating of different students and providing many opportunities and resources.

Jahmelli

Everything seemed to be very set up. Like they made sure everyone was on their best behavior before the students arrived. A few months after my visit. A white privileged student posted on Snapchat saying “ I’m lynching niggers tonight” it took administration 2 days and extensive protest from students of color to take action against this. They did not care for our safety or how others spoke about us.

Soyam

It is a great school with a lot of opportunities to offer. The problem is it requires much work than other colleges to access those opportunities. The facilities and professors are great as well. There is always hep when you need one. Overall I would give my school an A-.

JayLynn

SUNY Plattsburgh is okay. There could be a lot more involvement on campus and better safety rules. There's not much to do on campus and around the town. The education is good and I feel like I would graduate well prepared for my career field. The professors are respectful and helpful.

Molly

SUNY Plattsburgh is a great school that has a very diverse major catalog and a very diverse student population. The school is big enough that you can meet new people every day, but still small enough that you get a sense of community, and see a the same handful of people on a regular basis. The academics here are great and the faculty and students are extremely friendly and helpful to not only freshman but all students who attend. For anyone interested in party life, there is plenty of parties on a regular basis and lot of Greek life to participate in. Even though the weather can get pretty cold during the winter, campus and Plattsburgh town itself are beautiful during all seasons.

Nancy

A hidden gem. I love it here. Professors are accessible beyond regular office hours. Engaging curriculum. Beautiful campus. Parking needs improvement, there just isn’t enough. Class sizes are very large. I would like to see more course offerings.

Cadyann

It’s a good school with some issues surrounding the city itself. It’s not a horrible school by any means, but the city of Plattsburgh is not somewhere you want to stay forever. If you live here, spread your wings and fly. There are better opportunities elsewhere!

Tuba

SUNY college at Plattsburgh is a wonderful college in which i have experienced a lot of things its safe, its beautiful, its environment is completely just as u feel like home . the professors are very cooperative they are understanding and they helps the students to improve their skills regarding their course work.

Jasmine

Although I just a PWI, I still expected a bit more from Plattsburgh. After the huge racial divide that occurred due to a student making “lynching threats” on her social media and our president dragging his feet to remove said student, he stepped down or maybe we forced him down? Needless to say that his replacement is another heterosexual “wealthy” white male so what was the real point of change? I see the schools board and none of them look like me, I see my professors and none of them look like me. I love my school or at least I would like to love my school, but god things need to change.

Darlene

Not safe, rampant drug use (many student arrests in media). For a African-American woman this campus don't do it's job. People with confederate flags (on trucks) often come through the campus and scream racist remarks to students. The community is non accepting and make it clear when you all come into contact off campus. In 2018 they fired Chief Diversity Officer for raping a student, https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/36639/20180718/suny-fires-wiley-who-shaped-north-country-debate-on-race

J

SUNY Plattsburgh do not have a good nursing program because they are broke and hire adjuncts without degrees or real experience. The local hospital was taken over and run by Vermont (the adjacent state) and they don't like giving hours to Plattsburgh students! They bribe you and ask you to pretend you are happy when accreditation reviewers arrive. It is unsafe and my boyfriend is getting tired of driving me to campus (just glad I don't have in the dorms where the smell of vomit and other things is obvious). The food and water are so contaminated they post boil orders almost daily. The web site pictures are not representative of what actually happens. Students have been killed, raped, robbed, and many crimes. I transferred out in my last year so I can get a reputable college on my final transcript.

Sharon

Spooky place not many faculty around only students and a few adjuncts seems like an apocalypse. Same teach for five classes online or in class very unproductive and materials taken from Internet. I can learn by myself better and just found out degree is not accepted at most other schools so waste of my student loan and state grant. False advertising - not what they tell you during emails and admissions. Beware.

Charlie

Nice place to visit with lake and mountains but very cold (with snow and ice!). Students friendly but due to high crime I'd advise to walk with someone outside of core hours (e.g., after dark my boyfriend came with me ans waited at library for evening classes). The teachers are crabby I guess they are downsizing so for my last 2 terms I had only 3 different ones for all classes. I didn't actually graduate but transferred to SUNY Empire to finish my degree online because I was working and wanted to get out of Plattsburgh. Don't trust the admissions because what they say (and the online pictures) are not what you get at this campus - it is a low quality place so you get what you pay for. Residences are pretty dirty and smell really bad and you can't drink the water but local apartments are cheap - just go beyond walking distance away from campus to avoid the high crime. There is a Walmart in town!

Jerilynn

I have always found SUNY Plattsburgh a wonderful college to attend. The professors are there for the students. Campus improvements are in progress and the food is delicious. The college sports scene is on point. From lacrosse to hockey the teams and students who support the teams are in it for the win. Campus housing and external housing has a lot to offer.

Shane

I found out zero nobody at Plattsburgh State University online accounting program have passed the CPA exam! It is not surprising to hear that because I found the online courses to be marginal in content disorganized in structure and teachers don't get back to you unless in an online discussion. I failed the FIA and practice CPA exam. They offered to let me take classroom courses but I will not go to that campus as it is unsafe expensive and I get fines all the time there. I do not have enough credits to qualify for anything. The online accounting degree was a waste of money and I will join other students asking for a refund because they were not honest in their advising.

Mac-Olivier

SUNY Plattsburgh is affordable with plenty of services available for those in need. SUNY Plattsburgh is diverse despite the small town it’s in. The shuttle van service is limited. The environment is somewhat medium and the setting is a rual. The professors are always available for their office hours.

Ni

SUNY Plattsburgh misled me and other students are suing the state for return of tuition (Google law suits SUNY). The instructors were not qualified since they could not answer many question in class or online without looking up the material responding days later, most did not speak English well (very hard to understand accents in classroom lectures or tutoring), the online courses were very disorganized (impossible to follow and some test questions in several courses were incorrect - instructors had to remove them from grading). The university is going bankrupt so they have let go expensive instructors to hire adjuncts without much academic training or those from foreign countries (these are the heavy accents). The university campus is not safe, with over 240 crimes in 2018 on or near the campus including rape, violence, theft, fraud, and a search of the sex offender system shows 29 convicted felons live on or near the campus in 2018. You can verify the above by searching online. The financial services were great as they were over joyed to help you get qualified for a student loan (everyone spoke perfect English in admissions). Due to the bad reputation of SUNY Plattsburgh, the degree is worthless and may actually decrease my career opportunities.

Francine

Dishonest university. Poor online teaching. Stay from SUNY Plattsburgh.Twenty-seven SUNY Plattsburgh students were arrested and charged with forcing other students to lay tied up on the floor, stripped naked, urinated on, vomited on, spanked, and gang raped (up the behind - they don't discriminate, women and men of all races get the treatment without protection). In previous years at least two students were killed, one in a frat house, and the second in a nearby parking lot – all this SUNY Plattsburgh denies (they claim it’s a nice place to call home). Go figure? Crime records at the local police station and in the media are clear proof (see Associated Press, North Country Public Radio, many others). SUNY Plattsburgh are Bankrupt and low rating rep . Poison place. Read it yourself. http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/campusRatings.jsp?sid=968 http://www.pressrepublican.com/news/local_news/police-busts-yield-crack-cocaine-heroin/article_5d506415-bde2-59d6-b88f-d47afca74689.html https://www.mynbc5.com/article/seven-arrested-in-clinton-county-drug-sweep/3309164 https://www.suncommunitynews.com/articles/the-sun/five-arrested-in-plattsburgh-drug-bust/

Katie

I was totally misled by their fake advertising. Police just arrested two colored Plattsburgh State University students for raping a young woman (November 2018) and this is 1 of over hundreds of crimes since I got here. I'm transferring out when I finish this term to a NYC where the tuition is higher but at least not a waste of money (and better job opportunities there). https://www.pressrepublican.com/news/local_news/city-police-charged-with-rape-as-violent-felony/article_b345b67a-6a88-5b01-af73-6184a8bbd7d1.html While at Plattsburgh State University I've been sick much of the time (you cannot drink the water - signs posted) - the air has some sort of radon dust in it... most people here are constantly coughing or sneezing. It can't be a good thing. That's mild though compared to the crimes going on around me. Don't believe the fake messages about it being a nice place. See for yourself how cold and unfriendly it is. Don't come here without a visit and do a lot of research. Learn from my mistake.

Ginnie

Plattsburgh College ignores student needs. They deny all the major crime happening (violent rapes, rampant Molly and C drug use) - they fired the Minority Diversity Chief in 2018! Students and employees are afraid to be on campus at night - the keystone cops lounge around in their bullet proof cars but don't venture out unless they have several of them packing. The climate is terrible cold sloshy wet most of the year - the only time it is nice is summer when the campus is shut down. There are no jobs and actually employers cringe when you tell them you are going to have a degree from Plattsburgh. Students are asking for tuition refunds but Plattsburgh refuses even though the court ordered SUNY to do so. Who has money to sue them? So why am I writing this? I'm leaving but I owe it to other students to let them know. use UNIGO to find a good college like I did. Good luck.

Erin

SUNY Plattsburgh is a very artistic campus located in a beautiful, scenic region. The teachers care a lot about the success of the students, and the college has many greater resources to prepare students for their careers. Although the city is small, there is plenty to do and there are many sights to see.