Potsdam, NY
SUNY College at Potsdam

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College at Potsdam

Erin

SUNY Potsdam is a place where you can really explore your interests, pursue your passion and grow as a person with the help of amazing, intelligent and passionate professors.

The best advice I could give my high school self is to not be afraid, embrace all that college has to offer, and be confident in your abilities. I know now that I am capable of so much more than my high school self expected. I would tell that scared, timid girl to break out of her shell and do as much as possible. Above all, I would say to my younger self, remember to write. Write all the time. I was a writer in my heart before going to college and the professors at SUNY Potsdam helped me to become a great writer. I would tell my younger self that the writer you long to be is trapped inside that shell and when you embrace it with confidence and passion you will accomplish so much. So, to that timid girl who was teased for reading rather than doing what all the other kids were doing, keep going, keeping reading and writing because it will all be worth it in the end. Remember to be you no matter what others say and keep writing.

You should not attend SUNY Potsdam if you are not willing to work hard, explore a variety of academic interests or push outside of your comfort zone in an academic environment.

Zachary

SUNY Potsdam was an absolutely wonderful experience.

SUNY Potsdam was an absolutely wonderful experience.

I went to the Crane School of Music. It is a well respected school for a state school price.

I would have a long discussion about money. When I left college I had no credit, which is better than bad credit, but not helpful when trying to buy big ticket items like a car. I would tell myself to get a credit card and a wallet with a special pocket in it. The card would come out of the pocket for gas and go right back in again after. Making simple purchases and paying the credit would have slowly built my credit score over the years. Also I would tell myself to save money. When I was in college any extra money was spent on beer or cigarettes. I wouldn't say I abused either of these but when I look back and think about how much money I spent on them it seems like a huge waste, especially because neither is a significant part of my life anymore. There are ways to have fun without spending money and I would tell myself to explore those options.

Jeffery

My advice to my high senior self would fall somewhat outside the common demeanor of thought. Even though college is a huge leaping stone in a person's life, I believe that directing one's focus towards the future will cause this person to miss out on what the present has to offer. Sure, receiving extremely high grades and getting a top score on the SATs may get you into that top school, but there's so much more to life than just a number on a test. When we wake up and step into that school for seven hours of our day, that footstep resembles this person learning the necessary skills to progress through life as we know it. The number that one receives on their report card does not resemble oneself. Rather, the progression of a person's skills and relationships with others is what drives a senior to excel in life after high school. As I always say, "High School is not defined by what is written in an English or History book, but rather the messages that are conveyed in between these lines." This is the most vauable education one could ever receive before entering college.

Dina

SUNY Potsdam actually has two schools, they have SUNY Potsdam which is like the arts and sciences then SUNY Potsdam Crane School of music =)

I would tell myself to truly listen to our teachers in high school. They were not lying when they said they were just trying to prep us for college. Also, start studying because in college there are some classes that you will not pass if you do not study for tests and quizzes. I personally am not a partier but for my friends I would make sure to let them know they better be able to balance both their social/party life and their academic life or they will fail out (like one of my friends did this year).

COST, because it is a SUNY and it is too expensive

Courtney

SUNY Potsdam is a unique experience focused on giving students a well rounded education no matter what their major.

Classes can range from 20 students to 150 students but no matter how big your class is, you'll make at least one friend.

These Rules or more like Guidelines, will get you through College: 1) Your roommate may seem unbearable at times, but trust me, she will be one of your best friends and closest confidents. 2) DO NOT buy your textbooks....they're like unneccesary and you can easily get them through inter-library loans. 3) Never buy a dell laptop, they break consistentley (just ask your future roommate). 4) Don't give a guy the time of day unless they're gonna take you out on a date off campus. 5) Do not take any classes with Dr. Wetts. He's both a horrible teacher and person. 6) Eat healthy and exercise regularly! Trust me you will go down in sizes and you're gonna look great no matter what your do!!!! 7) The friends you're gonna make are really awesome and quirky! And they will always be there for you when you need them. 8) This one is really important!!! You're gonna graduate a year early and not know what to do with your life. It will all work out and maybe it's best to stay in school all four years since your friends will be there.

Aaron

I would tell myself to study for at least 30 minutes every night. I would also tell myself the best way to manage my time.

It is primaraly a school for going into teaching, which I'm not doing.

Someone who does not like cold weather and does not like small communities.

Kristyn

My school is very friendly and welcoming. Students have the opportunity to learn what they want to learn while enjoying time with friends, and the great outdoors.

Having gone to a wonderful college prep school I would simply reasure myself that my high school education would indeed be so very helpful when it came to going to college. I would have told myself not to be so scared to go off to college! I would also have warned myself that there is not as much money out there to pay for college as teachers made it out to be.

My school is a safe, fun place to be! I learn a lot and make some great contacts in the industry!

Chelsey

In college, you can be who you want to be. You have the opportunity to be a leader, make a difference, and be the best you can be. You can excel no matter who you are, where you come from, and no matter what you want. You learn what you want in your life - in all areas, not just career oriented ones. You learn who you ARE and who you will always be. You learn what is most important to you and what you want to fade into the background. You grow up, but not in a sad way. It is a completely rewarding experience. College is the perfect blend of your past, present, and future. You make friends, you gain a new community, but most of all, you find yourself. It's valuiable to attend because of career opportunities after, but also because it is a self discovering journey that is important to everyone, no matter who you are.

Potsdam is an extreeeemely cold place in the winter.

A conservative person who doesn't want to be around liberal kinds of people.

Kristie

My classmates are some of the most hard working and down to earth people I have ever met. The student body is full of such diversity and we all teach one another about our differences. Everyone accepts everyone else for who they are. We aren't afraid to stand up for what we believe in, but we also stay open minded. We listen well to what people have to say, and learn from other students stories.

When I went to visit SUNY Potsdam, the President spoke to the visiting group. He said " You've been accepted, which means that we want each and every one of you to be a part of our family. We want you here so we can grow and learn together." His words really spoke to me and made me feel welcomed. I knew from then on that I would not be just another student, I would be a part of a family. And I had confidence that I would not get lost academicly in this school.

Through out my last semester, I have grown as person. I am no longer a high school student, I am now a part of something much bigger. SUNY Potsdam is like one big community, and I have never felt more welcomed in my life. I have learned that you can always find the good in a person. Though we all have our flaws, deep down there is a part of us that means well. Through group seminars, I have learned that you should give every one a chance, and that you should never judge with out knowing the person. The school teaches about diversity, and teaches us to embrase the differences in one another. We have a whole weekend devoted to diversity, and I got to learn about places and people I had never heard of before. You learn of their culture and their way of living. It really is truly fascinating, and made me want to learn more. This school has taught me to see the beauty in everything, whether art, a performance, liturature, or the way one expresses themselves. I feel as though this school has opened up my eyes, and helped me see the world more clearly.

Mia

After working so hard to become college ready, most people could not understand why I chose not to enroll in college after graduating from Holy Names High School in 2008. I applied to a few colleges but my heart was not in it. After a six month break from academics, my desire to go back to school was stronger than ever. I was eager to get back into a classroom and learn! In the spring of 2009, I enrolled in my local community college, Contra Costa College (CCC). CCC has been a valuable resource to me. It has allowed me to move forward academically while giving me time to mature and to make some very important decisions for myself. While CCC did not offer me the experience of dorm life or typical college sports, it did offer me the coursework required to transfer to a four year institution. CCC has provided me with the academic foundation to pursue a higher education. With the skills that CCC has instilled in me, I am now ready to transfer to a four year institution, bring my education to the next level, and see what the future holds for me!

SUNY College at Potsdam administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.