Syracuse, NY
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

Attending college has been a life changing experience for me. During my three years at a junior college I’ve learned the importance of family and independence. My family is my safe place, my island in the midst of stormy seas. Whenever problems occur I run to them and they help me. I only learned this through attending college. College has presented many challenges that helped me to see that I could be an independent person. When I got a bad grade in organic chemistry, I realized that Pharmacy was not my passion. I changed my major; disappointing my family. In turn I came to question my decision and my reasoning, but then I realized that I needed to stand by what I believed was right for me. I needed to trust my decisions and stand by them. In gaining my independence I gained the support of my family. For this I am forever grateful to college and the experience it has given me.

Beverly

Courage and being independent are the traits that had me out of college experience. When I was a senior in high school, I was scared to feel "change." My hands were shaking when I went to college in order to be more independent without parents by my side whenever I need help. I was scared for not having friends in college since it is hard for me to make new friends in high school. I was frighten if I walked into the wrong direction whether the school and major was right for me. If it was the wrong direction, then I have to start a new, fresh direction which is my most fear. After surviving one semester of college, I told myself why was I afraid before? Why was I worrying too much? When first semester started, I kept saying to myself, everything will be fine and not to worry anything. So I forced myself to lead the direction that I always wanted and never give up of what I am doing. I just kept going forward and being independent is the most important trait that I needed to learn on my own which I got from college.

This school is very well-based educated school. It focuses on environmental topics which is very significant for the people who wants to major something around that. It is very a small school which I like because you get to know your peers, classmates, and professors well. If you are having trouble in a subject, the professor will always be there to help you .

The kind of person that should not attend this school is the one who wants to go there because of Syracuse University. Since SUNY Environmental Studies and Forestry have a lot connections with Syracuse University for classes and sport games, that student who wants to go there because of that should not attend to SUNY ESF. The student should be at SUNY ESF for education and not sports for Syracuse University.

Jill

My classmates came from a variety of backgrounds, all with a keen interest in putting their unique skills to use in their respective majors. and maintaining an open mind to future opportunities.

My undergraduate degree program gave me the ability to seek out rewarding employment opportunities and I am exceedingly grateful for all that I learned in the Landscape Architecture program at SUNY-ESF. In my current Sustainable MBA program which I am enrolled through Green Mountain College in Poultney, VT, I've been able to further my knowledge of business development and organizational structures. I graduated from SUNY-ESF in 2004 with a Bachelor's of Landscape Architecture, and it took me several years to decide that a Master's of Business Administration would be the best way to further my education in a way that made sense for me professionally. With a unique focus on sustainable business tactics and corporate social responsibility, I have been able to take my passion for the environment in a direction I'd never dreamed. I would recommend both SUNY-ESF and Green Mountain College to anyone ready to take on important leadership challenges that are critical to our nation's sustainability.

SUNY-ESF is certainly for the environmentally-conscious student, and those that are truly interested in making a difference in the world. There are opportunities for those looking to enter creative, innovative, and meaningful employment fields such as environmental studies and policy, forest biology, and landscape architecture.

Lydia

This college is attached to a larger university and use their benefits to a great extent.

My classmates were all freshman and I was a transfer which made it hard to make friends.

In modern America, the passing down of information from generation to generation is becoming a less practiced form of communication. The nuclear family is becoming less appreciated and the work family is beginning to take precedence causing much of our youth to become confused and uninformed about themselves and their future. This reality emphasizes the need for all members of the human race to consider eachother as extended family, not as workforce competitors. Thus, I share this information as a nurturing mother of the American youth. Because college is a place for both personal and academic growth, I feel it necessary to briefly advise students on both grounds. In regards to academic growth, I advise students to form strong connections with their professors, advisors and teaching assistants. These relationships will not only open doors to life-changing opportunities, but may direct to other doors that did not previously exist for the high school student. In regards to personaI growth, I advise all high school students to break down their social barriers and preconcived notions. College is a place where only an open mind will thrive. Do not be afraid to try new things. Expect anything. Live it and love it.

Rachael

Our school, the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, is certainly known for it's great concern with all and any environmental issues. Students are often labeled hippies, ecofreaks, environmentalists, and activists. Despite this mix of stereotypes, we are best known for the immense progress we are making and the innovations that come out of our school that help conserve and protect the environment. Despite the small size of the school, we are well-regarded for this. Our faculty are often contacted by private companies and municipal govenrments to advise or work on large engineering, conservation, and remediation projects.

When I was trying to decide what college I would go to, I was concerned that living too close to home would take away from my college experience. I chose SUNY-ESF in large part based on costs, even though I believed that my top choice, Cornell University, would give me a fresher start because it was farther away from home. However, when I arrived at ESF, a twenty-five-minute drive from home, I realized the program was perfect for me. I found many new opportunities, my major is exactly what I've always wanted, and the school's faculty is very attentive to students' needs, even at the freshman level. I wish I had known that the most important thing was to find the best school for me, even if it was hiding right under my nose. It would have saved me a lot of time and worry.

The best thing about my school is the attention teachers across campus can give to students, even at the freshman level. The faculty in my department, Environmental Resources and Forest Engineering, take a considerable amount of time out of their schedules to work with the freshman class, talk to us about their research, involve us in department projects and events, advise us in selecting courses, and making us feel comfortable in what is a very difficult major. I would have had a much harder first semester if the faculty had not made us feel so welcome .

The students and faculty at this school are dedicated to learning and researching as well as teaching, you have to remain focused but at the same time there is room for enjoying your experiences.

My classmates are friendly people and easy to get along with, they're also very helpful and willing to work together on projects/assignments/homework.

If I could go back in time to high school and give myself advice, I would tell myself to stay focused even though there's pressure not to. First semester freshmen year I struggled in two of my subjects while taking an 18 credit course load. I passed the two classes but with D's, which brought my g.p.a down and caused me to lose my scholarship. Instead of studying and getting the help I needed for the courses I chose to engage in every social activity possible rather than only a few. I worked very hard the second semester and was able to bring my g.p.a. up from a 2.069 to a 2.538, taking 18 credits again, but I still was unable to receive my scholarship. I'm an out of state student, and tuition is higher for me. My sister also wants to go out of state for school, and I will probably give her the advice I wish I had known. Have fun, but stay focused, school comes first no matter what. Social activities are important, but not to the point where schoolwork suffers.

Robbie

SUNY ESF is undoubtedly the best environmentally focused school in the northeast where the classes and teachers encourage students to excel in a career-related field immediately after graduation.

Finding the right college for you can be a complex process. I think that one should first weigh out possible career options that are right for you and then do some research concerning your field and the top schools in that field. If you're a person who is more of a homebody, I would suggest choosing the best qualified college closest to home. If, however, moving out is more of a viable option, then an on-campus living situation may be the best. Living on campus allows you to become closer to your classmates and allows you to socialize more easier. On campus living gives the advantage of making the most of college simply because of the close availability of opportunities that your college may offer.

The best thing about my school is its small community because ESF has roughly a few hundred students per class based on increasingly strict admission standards. The larger Syracuse community allows the influence to be broader than one would expect. The benefits of Syracuse University are also widespread and available to ESF students

ERIN

TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE INTERESTED IN. TAKE A LOOK AT SCHOOL AND CLASS SIZE. MAKE SURE THESE ARE NOT OVERWHELMING FOR YOU...

The hands on experience we recieve with research. It gives us an opportunity to experience what it is like in the real world.

Kieran

Environmentalism. They prepare us better for the field than most schools in the country.

Forget about "the college name" or how good the schools academic department is. Go where you feel you will be happy and feel comfortable. If you aren't happy at your college, no matter how great their academics are, you won't flourish.

My school is a strict environmental school so it's hard to find classes outside that and clubs outside of environmentalism. We have Syracuse Univeristy to make up for that lack but because of budget cuts we are being limited by the number of SU classes we can take.

Tamara

Go for what you want to do not what you think will give you the best job or the best pay.

Other people going there from my high school.

SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.