SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

Crystal

ESF is an extremely rigorous environmental science school. At ESF you have the unique opportunity to go to both Syracuse University and ESF. As a result, it becomes very clear that ESF has much more difficult classes. Only consider attending ESF if you are willing to commit the vast majority of your free time toward studying and doing homework because the classes at ESF are extremely difficult.

Alexandra

Awesome teachers in a small setting for most classes. Super cool people that go there. Ypu can also take classes at Syracuse University, so I took a bunch of art classes. Cute little city surrounding it. Overall, no complaints really. Tons of opportunities to be involved in activism and the school has good vibes.

Brandon

Amazing people and full of those who want to help and support you or even just strike up a conversation about the environment or science in general. The bus trip I participated in to visit the college before I started attending was very life changing and made me feel like this college was perfect for me.

Molly

The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF) is a college that has motivated, bright students and plenty of opportunities to get involved with research and outreach. ESF is unique in that we are situated directly next to Syracuse University (SU), so we share many of the same resources - fitness facilities, student groups, and classes. Between ESF and SU, there are plenty of classes and activities that will lead to a high quality environmental education. Many ESF grads get jobs in academia, working for the state, or working with local environmental organizations/firms, as ESF provides students with skills necessary to succeed in a variety of positions. ESF students are truly committed to improving our world. If you are passionate about environmental issues, whether it be sustainable agriculture, renewable energy production, climate change, migratory bird patterns, or water resources, this is the college for you! You will receive a quality education and have a great time doing so!

Suny college of Environmental Science and Forestry seemed like a nice college with great opportunities for the student. As well as great teachers, nice dorms, and a beautiful campus. The students also have the opportunity to take part in activities on the Syracuse University campus because ESF is right next to it.

Christopher

I feel the academics is very hands on and beneficial. The professors are accommodating and passionate. The main campus location and student housing is not very secure. The initial entry process is difficult and lacks much needed guidance and the scheduling is very inflexible. The administration helps each student with professionalism and courtesy.

Logan

Overall my opinion of SUNY ESF is that it's an amazing school. ESF was once the Forestry Department of Syracuse University, but eventually broke off to give lower income students a chance to study the world of environmental sciences. To this day we still share the campus with Syracuse University. As a result, students at ESF get the best of both worlds, meaning that we are able to be a part of a classic college experience with the huge games (lots of team spirit; go cuse!), and all sorts of extracurricular opportunities- yet we also get to enjoy a smaller community at ESF (only around 2,000 students) where we get an excellent academic experience due to the smaller student to teacher ratio. It is amazing to see teachers walk past their students and know each of their individual names and lives. You don't tend to get a relationship like that with your teachers at a much larger school. Not to mention everything is hands on learning here at ESF, so you are sure to get the best academic experience possible, with lots of different campuses and labs all over upstate New York. AND ALSO! ESF has the number one graduate rate of female engineers!

Sara

I recently, along with many of my friends, have transferred out of SUNY ESF. I went from being an honor roll student in high school to practically failing everything at SUNY ESF. I have since transferred into Stockton Univeristy and am back on honor roll once again. I had a terrible experience at this school. My schedule was difficult to keep up with and the classes move through information very quickly. I don’t remember anything I’ve learned from that school despite how many hours I poured into it. It is much more enriching to take the time to learn something meaningful than to move through as much material as possible in such a short amount of time.