Cortland, NY
SUNY Cortland

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Cortland

Michelle

The teachers at, what we the students call, C-State really care about their students. All the teachers I had during my first semester made me feel like they were always available to talk if I had a problem; and they usually were. This quality assures me that I truly picked the right school.

Michelle, everything will be ok. You're out of "the city," you don't and shouldn't be putting on a front as everyone does when you're back home. There are going to be people that are extremely nice no matter what, so don't be so discouraged right away. Always be yourself, be open and don't be so shy or scared just because you aren't used to having this many classmates. STAY POSITIVE, don't give up hope. If things don't turn out the way you want them to, don't stress; have faith that something better will come along. Drop the somewhat negative mentality you have been coerced to have because of your upbringing; Cortland is the complete opposite of Manhattan and you need to prepare for the changes. Just remember, don't stress, stay positive, and do your readings!

How good the food is! It's better than decent, which is the word most of my friends use to describe their school's food.

Melissa

Looking back at myself as a high school senior is like looking at a stranger. I was insecure about everything. Knowing what I know now about college life, there is a lot of advise I would give my high school senior self. I believe there are two key pieces of advise that has allowed me to grow and succeed thus far. My first piece of advise would be to figure out what your priorities are. Having your priorities set will make all of life's transitions less complicated. Acknowledging what's important makes decisions easier to make and lessens the inevitable stress in one's life. My second piece of advise is to be confident with who you are. As a child and throughout my high school years I was painfully shy. I was so focused on the possibility that people may not like me that I never gave them a chance to know me. Since making the transition to college, I realized the importance of liking yourself and not worrying about what others think. Accepting myself has allowed me to come out of my shell and enjoy life in a way I was too afarid to before.

If I were allowed to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, I would tell myself to stay truthful to who you are and push yourself. I would tell myself that it is ok to study for a test while your friends are in the other room watching tv. College is for you and not anyone else. It doesn't matter if your friends at school think you study too much, because it doesn't affect their grades, their money, or their future. If you know that what you are doing is for your benefit then you should stick to your goals and try your best to make them happen. College is all about opportunity and the only way you can succeed is to do what you think is right. Do what you came to do in college and in the end everything will work out the way you planned.

What I think is the best thing about my school, is that for the most part everyone that goes there is interested in the same things. Cortland is a very althletic school, and I enjoy working out and dealing with sports. The programs they offer there are benefical to my interests and my major. I feel that I can be in whatever major I want and still confident that the classes I had previously taken will still help me graduate and wont be wasted.

The most frustrating thing about the school I attended, would be the amount of options to choose from. My school has so many interesting classes, and different career pathes to choose from that at times I am unsure what route I should take. It can be overwhelming at times but I figure it is better to have more options and opportunities than to be limited to on what you can do.

My classmates would be considered driven for the future with a party drive

My classmates would be considered driven for the future with a party drive

Cortaca: The biggest little game in America.

I would tell myself not to go with what would make you money and what would make you happy. At the end of day, being happy is what is going to make life meaningful. Also, I would tell myself to not bullcrap and work HARD. My GPA is suffering a little because I cruised through high school with As and Bs without doing work and thought that would work for college. It didn't . I just started working hard now and the way I felt after I got those As and Bs was amazing because I actually earned them. Also, not academically, I would tell myself to stay away from sweet talking men because they only want one thing and also to enjoy your friends in college, because they are you're life long friends

Mikayla

My classmates are just as dedicated and motivated as I am.

My classmates are just as dedicated and motivated as I am.

Knowing what I know now, I would tell my high school self to learn time management skills. College is meant to be a challenge, but it doesn't have to be so hard that you feel like a failure. Managing your time is the key to success in college. I've learned that in order to succeed, I must know when to study and when to go out with friends. You must balance party time and school time, but you musn't just forget about play time. All work and no play make for a very stressful semester. I would tell my high school self writing down assignments and actually reading the syllabus is another key factor in doing well in college. Develope a good relationship with your professor and do not be afraid to ask questions. Learn to manage your free time and focus on success.

I brag mostly about the fact that I was accepted. My program at Cortland is fairly small and the number of applicants for the Spring 2010 semester was one of the largest Cortland has seen in a long time. Cortland is a wonderful school that many people have hopes of getting into. The fact that I was chosen makes me proud and more determined.

Deanna

It is a very psotive environment and everyone is very friendley and helpful around campus from students to teachers.

I would tell myself that it is alright to not know what you want to do. Being a Liberal Arts major for your first couple semesters can help you get many of the required courses out of the way so even if you do change your major, you do not need to stay that many more semesters. Also, when moving on to college life, don't stay in your dorm all the time. You want to get out and meet new people. Another very important thing is to not 'bite off more than you can chew.' Don't get overly involved in a multitude of different activities in your first semester. You need to give yourself time to adjust to the different workload without overloading yourself too much. After you experience the heavier workload, then you have an idea of how many activities you can involve yourself in while still being able to succeed in your courses.

The parking, its very hard to find a spot at certain times. However, I think that is the same with many other campus's.

Lisa

I would tell myself that just becuase I didn't have to try as hard in high school to get good grades I really do have to read everything and teach myself sometimes in college, and to apply to more scholarships, and get more involved right away.

The weather is the most frustrating thing, and sometimes the lack of variety of food selections, and some dining spots not being open at times when I would like to go there.

Jackie

SUNY Cortland can be described as a social, academic and epic experience.

SUNY Cortland can be described as a social, academic and epic experience.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the most important thing I would advise myself is to take full advatange of my college experience. What I mean is to participate in several club sports and extra-curricular activities that the school provides. I would advise myself to be positive in what I want to further my education in and be sure to take it seriously. College is the foundation of your career and I would stress that the grades I recieve in all my classes are exretmely important and can determine where I go in life. I would describe how important it is to always meet new people and be up for anything new and exciting, experience is key. The friends you meet in college and the skills that you possess will take you far in life.

SUNY Cortland offers a variety of opportunities for students. This school is known for it's education program, which I am currently pursuing. Not only are you able to take a variety of education classes but the community provides hands on experiences for working with students. Someone who is athletic would really enjoy this school, SUNY Cortland is a division three sports school and they also have club sports. This college also has a great program for physical therapy. Someone who is looking for a small population in their college would really enjoy this school!

My classmates are intriguing , creative, helpful and smart.

My classmates are intriguing , creative, helpful and smart.

My school, SUNY Cortland, is unique because it is one of the best Education schools, and has a diverse campus.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I have a lot of work to do. I would tell myself to increase my studying, learn new methods for studying, and put the socializing on the side. Also, I would make sure that I realized the hardships of being away from loved ones, and that eventually it gets easier. College is an amazing experiance, but you, and only you, can make or break it. Overall, I would just tell my high school self to make sure that I do everything I need to do to prepare myself. No one will make you do your work, it is all on you.

Heather

My classmates are fun, encouraging, supportive and highly intelligent.

My classmates are fun, encouraging, supportive and highly intelligent.

Self, don't mess around so much in high school. Those classes prepare you for your future college classes and the knowledge you learn now will help you greatly in the future. Make sure to manage your time wisely and do your best on every assignment because every grade counts. Also, don't worry so much about making friends and keeping up with the gossip at school because this will not help you succeed in life and it will only cause drama and stress. The friends you have now probably will not be your friends through college as you all go your seperate ways. You do your best in everything and don't sweat the small stuff. Oh, and one last thing, don't choose a college based on where your friends are going. Choose the college that has the best major, location, class size, etc to suit your individual needs. You will meet people easily at college and do not need to worry about following anyone to a college you are not 100% happy with. College is the start of your life in the real world so don?t mess it up.

The worst thing about my school is the weather because it gets extremely cold in the winter and has lots of snow.

SUNY Cortland administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.