SUNY Cortland Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for SUNY Cortland

Daniel

I love that the students are very supportive of the school, you see students wearing Cortland gear everywhere. The sports are a huge thing and that is something I enjoy very much. There looks to be something to do when there is free time. The campus is gorgeous and there are many opportunities for me to choose a major in a sports environment, making it my dream school.

Kristen

I love Cortland and I have a great time every day.

SUNY Cortland was a true home away from home. In the warmer months SUNY Cortland students are out on the lawns throwing a football and eating their lunches outside to soak up the Vitamin D. Although, most of the months are colder, there is always something fun to do with the new student life center. If you are not much of an athlete, the student life center has a game room, ping pong tables, and pool tables. The famous CORTACA game keeps all of the students looking forward to the same thing year after year. SUNY Cortland makes you feel confident and comfortable on their safe campus. SUNY Cortland is where you will make life long friends in your major, or from living in the spacious dorm rooms. As for the academics, which is why we go to college in the first place, is outstanding. If you want to pursue a teaching degree, this is the college for you. Many individuals continue on with education after graduating from SUNY Cortland, which shows that the school prepares students for higher education and successful careers. SUNY Cortland is an amazing college to created spectacular memories.

Olivia

SUNY Cortland is my favorite place on earth. It may not be the D1 School a lot of people hope for coming out of college, but the school spirit here is AMAZING. The nightlife is repetitive but never seems to get boring, I love being involved on campus here. Originally want to Coastal Carolina and Cortland takes the win for everything except its frigid temperatures.

Mackenzie

I loved everything about SUNY Cortland. I transferred back home after my first year but it had nothing to do with the school. I miss Cortland every day. Each semester was filled with so many awesome opportunities, great people, and a great atmosphere! Only thing I would change is to make the town of Cortland itself a little more busy, but there's a short drive to Ithaca and Syracuse for other fun things to do.

Sara

SUNY Cortland is an amazing school. I have grown extremely close to my professors, even when I am one out of 170. Additionally, the work I was required to do for each class was not overwhelming. I did not feel too pressured, especially because the biology and chemistry departments do not hold exams on the same weeks.

Savannah

The school is cheap and has good programs. All of the professors are great, and the main reason I like SUNY Cortland. However, I can only speak from the perspective of someone in the Honors Program (meaning we get more financial aid, smaller classes, etc.). The on-campus housing is pretty bad. My floor has had bathroom issues, including an unusable shower and fly infestations, for an entire semester. SUNY Cortland has a reputation for being a “party school,” which attracts a ton of students who party all the time, so there’s a fair amount of drugs/alcohol. The city of Cortland itself is nice; it’s small, but has all the necessities of students within walking distance. Overall, SUNY Cortland is fine for a state school. The academics and athletics are the real reason to attend.

Kelsey

I absolutely love this school! Not only the academics are great, but the people are very welcoming and I have made my best friends here. I am very close with many of the professors as well, they are all very personable and willing to help you. I have just graduated and could not have picked a better school for me. The school is very laid back with a lot of things because there is such a huge party/going out scene. If you aren't into being very social then I would look into another school because the city of Cortland doesn't have much to do if you don't party. Syracuse and Ithaca are 30-45 minutes away and they both make a fun day getaway on a weekend.

Sonia

It is a very good school. Food could be better, but overall great people, great town. Sports is a very big thing up there. Very cold! Very very cold. If you don't like the cold Cortland is not for you. Overall I love it up there and thee is no place I would rather be!

raysheda

My passion for pursuing a career in the medical field has grown tremendously since I've attended SUNY CORTLAND. My interest is mainly in biomedical sciences and SUNY Cortland has provided me with such a vast amount of opportunities in perusing this major. As of freshman year, they prepare you with classes you'll need for your major so you don't have to worry about what classes you should take during your first year.My Professor where always ready to help and are prepared to keep their students on track by providing tutoring as well as in-class help. The school is just as beautiful as its surroundings, and although it may seem like a quiet place there is always activities to part take in. Staff and students are all genuinely kind you'll find yourself making friends with just about anybody. I genuinely can say SUNY Cortland is one of the best SUNY schools out there and I hope more students will take the time to learn about it.

Marissa

I have enjoyed my time at SUNY Cortland. Professors are available and are willing to help you pursue whatever it is you want. If you go to them they will give you opportunities to really use your degree in ways you never thought you could. Between research, projects, and trips, I would Recommend SUNY Cortland. Facilities are great, including a fairly new student life center to help you keep a healthy lifestyle. I lived on and off campus and have enjoyed both.

Sonia

SUNY Cortland is a great school. I would apply here again if I could. The people are so nice. The professors are always willing to help, and really want you to learn. The teacher to student ration is 17:1 so the classes are reasonable. This is a really sport orientated school, but even if you don't like sports you can still fit in. Greek life is fun, a few people are involved but if your not into it you won't feel out of place. The food is good not great but good. Some days they surprise us and everyone will be there eating, like chicken parm night. The only bad thing is the wether. It is cold and snowing here 8 months out of 10. Overall it is a great school!

SUNY cortland has an amazing faculty that is excited to see their students succeed. This has helped me to maintain a high GPA. The staff behind the scenes sometimes struggles to show the same enthusiasm when helping students. The town around the school is cute and full of things to do.

Hailey

I like SUNY Cortland because it’s a community that I feel comfortable in and it’s a school that I believe will help me to be the person I want to be in the future. I am going to school to study the major of early childhood education and SUNY Cortland has so many students that go there to study early childhood education because it’s one of the best education programs in the state.

Rhiannon

By far the worst experience I've ever had while attending here. The students are not friendly at all, and it's very "cliquey." Professors are inconsiderate and disrespectful to students and make you feel stupid when you ask for help. There is not much of a party life, outside of the bars and Greek life, despite how much SUNY Cortland is considered a big party school. The surrounding area is extremely dumpy, low-end, disappointing and there is absolutely nothing to do. The campus is pretty, but VERY spread out and "hilly", it takes forever to get from class to class and the bus schedule is inconsistent. There is no help for transfer students either. Do not attend here, it is a waste of money and time.

Nicholas

I really like the college, the actual campus is very nice and everything is up to date and new. The only downside to the college, in my opinion, would have to be the activities off-campus. Off-campus there is not really a lot to do and the college town has a lot to be desired. Other than that, I really quite like the college.

Blake

SUNY Cortland is a great school aimed to keep students active and healthy. The updated facilities are amazing and ensure there is always ways for students to be active. The school's sports teams are very successful, and the annual Cortica game is always a time for celebration. Cortland is known for it's athletics despite being division three. Academically, the school is also amazing due to the small class sizes and the availability of after class aid.