SUNY Oneonta Top Questions

What should every freshman at SUNY Oneonta know before they start?

Yolanda

College is very different from high school. There are so many choices and it drives you crazy. Find a good group of friends and get involved at school. Manage your time well and you'll do great at college.

Philencia

If I could go back and give myself advice for college I would say do not wait until the last minute to do things. For example, don't wait until the last minute to sign up for class. "The early bird catches the worm". Waiting until the last minute to sign up for my classes left me with the classes other students didn't want. Also, I would give myself advice to do homework on time. College is mainly about homework and if you don't do the homework you don't get the grades. If you do the homework right when its given to you, you will remember to do it.

Eric

If I could go back to my senior year and tell myself anything, I would tell him to focus more on the school work and seek extra help. During my senior year of high school, i had take college level classes. At first, I was fine then my grades started to slip to C's; mostly having to do with my second semester/ high school is almost over! I do regret the decision because it dropped my overall GPA at my community college down a little bit and i had to work very hard to raise it back up. Along with dealing with the consequences, it opened me up to working harder and truely apply myself. The grades motivated me to do better, thus i did. I'm now one semester away from being a junior in college and I plan on giving back to my environment. I plan on working with kids in the future and help them to succeed. I plan on becoming a high school math teacher.

Wendy

In high school I was never one to try my hardest. I was a lazy student and I lacked drive and ambition. Now, as a college student I appriciate the opportunities that college life offers. I would tell my senior self that college allows people to explore new worlds, that it teaches students to think differently, and that going to college is the best way for a person to spoil themselves. I wouldn't lie to her and say that it would be easy, but I would say that the work should be done well in order to reap all the rewards that college offers. College can open doors to honor programs and honor societies. It present oppertunities to meet new people from all backgrounds, and chances to study abroad. Some study abroad programs allow you to go to Japan. Telling my senior self that there is a chance to study in Japan would not only catch her attention, but it would turn on a switch somewhere deep inside and I know that she would have gone to college instead of jumping straight into the work force. The best advice I could give myself is that college changes lives.

Andrew

Do not be afraid to be friendly and make friends. Although you are a very shy person, no one else is going to know anyone, so go up to people and introduce yourself. The more you become involved on campus, the more fun you will have and the more freinds you will make. The more friends you make, the more fun you will have.

I ask myself this question often. I would tell myself to go away to college, as a freshman and to not stay home for a boyfriend. Going away to school as a junior is not the same experience as a freshman. College life on the dorms, whether exciting or dreadful, is an experience everyone should have at least one time, but when you decide to stay home for the wrong reason you lose out on that opportunity and will never know what it was like. Going away to school junior year puts you in a different bracket; you live off campus, away from college life. You also leave yourself normally only two years left to experience college. I am currently a high school counselor, and the one thing I try to encourage students to do is take advantage of the opportunities that are out there for them. I understand going away to college is not for everyone, but if a student’s reasons are ones they cannot foresee as being a short term decision, I try to have them reconsider, and look at my situation as an example of what they will miss out on. Stephanie Cocchiaro

Anjing

Try to enjoy college life, don't take up too many classes if you know you can't handle it. Don't stress out and just learn to relax. When you go to college don't get too caught up in making friends that you forget about your homeworks, however don't be a hermit. There will be people who will try to persuade you to drink and go party but just know when is enough.

I would tell myself to relax and to not be afriad to be myself. I didn't realize that going away to college is starting all over with a clean slate. All throughout high school I was involved in so many different activities so when I was a freshman at college I went overboard and got too involved. I now know that I need to find a happy medium so that I can still enjoy a few activities without jepordizing my grades.

Pamela

The advice I would give myself if I could go back to see myself as a high school senior would be to focus on school work and get to know myself better. The transition would have been much easier if I knew what I wanted out of my college experience coming into my undergraduate career. I think I would tell myself to take a step back from working, in order to pay for college, and enjoy the good times as well as the quiet study hours that most students take for granted. I would tell myself that the real world will always be waiting for me to live in the moment instead of stressing about what tomorrow, next week or even next semester has in store for me. Most importantly I would tell myself to relax and have fun because these are going to be the best years of my life and I may not realize it yet but I'm going to make friends as well as memories that will last my life time through.

Erica

Utilize URoomSurf.com or if your uncomfortable with that pick the earliest orientation and find a roommate you like. Also the college visit, if you don't like winter make sure your school isn't infamous for it's snow. Visit the school at the worst time of the year and make sure you still like it.