Valhalla, NY
SUNY Westchester Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend SUNY Westchester Community College

Virginia

The atmosphere at WCC is very oppressive and I am generally unhappy being there.

The biggest stereotype is that the kids there are "stupid". As much as it may be partly accurate, the reason many people go there is due to financial reasons, not intelligence.

Students keep to themselves and don't really communicate with other students.

Below par and unnecessarily structured per major.

Kanariya

I did not look into many schools as I should have. I need to do more scholarships (like I am doing right now). Apply to as many as I can. Look for more schools than just SUNY. But keep doing the hard work I was doing.

The only reason why I went to this school was to save money. Tuition is very good for the education you receive. This school is actually one of the top community colleges in America. Many professors know a lot of the subject.. but some professors you can't even believe how they got a job there.

Some of the professors are just ridiculous. Meaning they are in their own world and do not really care for the students. This makes them a bad professor, simply because they are not listening to the students.

Steffinie

The best thing about WCC is that it gives you a reality check of getting your priorities straight, you need to stay on top of your deadlines because no one is going to babysit you, especially when it comes to registration time. The size of the school is just right to me except for the parking lots that's one thing I would change. I spend most of my time in the library and the science building because I'm majoring in nursing. The schools administration could use some help they're not very helpful sometimes and it can be quite time consuming to meet with someone but this is a normal at any college as I have heard from a few of my friends who go to other colleges. When I tell people I go to WCC they usually say that's a great school especially if your not sure what you want to do. You can get a great education for a great price and take your time.

I personally am not involved in any activities on campus because i work a lot, but Ive heard from other students that the sports are quite popular like basketball baseball volley ball and a few others. I met all of my closest friends in my classes.

Ive come in contact with all types of students, Im a very well rounded person so i speak to everyone. There is not specific type of person that goes here its filled with all types of people.

Every professor that Ive ever had at WCC in the past 3 years Ive been there knows my name. My favorite classes have been french, microbiology the Anatomy and physiology and algebra with trig. My least favorite class was principles of Organic Chemistry. Students study all day and everyday. Ive had several intellectual conversations with many students outside of class and Ive also made some long term friendships. The school has several great professional programs Ive spoken with students in the EMT program to people aspiring to be chefs. I'm going into nursing but I'm just taking my prerequisites to transfer to a four year. Alot of students do this because its cheaper to do all your core classes here and then do the programs at a four year school.

I wouldn't really categorize the students at my school in any of the stereotypes above. Westchester Community is a community school filled with a plethora of different types of people ranging from the ages of 18 to about late 50 and sometimes older from my experience. There are clubs but Ive never seen cliques like you do in high-school this is one of the reasons I love going there.

Christina

Well, your life has definately not turned out the way you thought it would. After joining a sorority and losing your grandmother your studies begin to suffer. You meet the man of your dreams and marry him. Life can't be better you have two beautiful little girls and you quit your career to take care of them. Losing yourself along the way and your drive for life. Your husband decides that his girfriend is more important than his family and leaves. You are now in your 30's with nothing, but two little angels depending on you and a college degree, but no experience. Listen up girl!!! Take your time and study. Find something you love to do. Get internships and experience before you leave for the working world. Wait to get married. Never lose yourself in someone else. Never lose that great sense of curiousity that brought you to college. Go back to school and keep learning. Keep your mind sharp and your heart guarded. Love will come and marriage will to, but being true to yourself and expanding your knowledge base is the most important. Don't be scared things will work out if you work hard!

The worst thing about my school right now is how far away it is from my house. I am attending WCC because of the wonderful programs they offer and education they give to students. So, the drive is the worst part, but nothing I won't handle to get my degree.

I would say the most frustrating thing is financial aid, but in my experience it is the same way at every school. I will get a different person each time I call and each time get a different answer. Living over an hour and half away it is always a wasted trip down there to find out what's going on.

Leslie

My school is best known as the help they provide. As a student, one can always get that extra help they one need to succeed and move on to the next level. The academic support center is open to all students who need the help. Also the satellite campuses are the best, they also offer extral help as well, and the best part is that your time is logged in, so your professor can see and measure your progress. The tutors are all very knowledgeable and helpful. So my advice is to get the help if necessary.

First, I would make sure all of my finances, aid for school, scholarship, book fees and paper work are put in order. Secondly, one have to discipline oneself and like a sport, condition yourself, mentally and emotionally. Thirdly, the 3 P's, prep, prepare, practice, Prep yourself the night before class, Prepare your school clothes, books and so forth the night before and practice like everyday is an examine day. You have to have patience and a good mind set, supportive family, friends, roommates and understanding people around you. Remember that college is a whole different atmosphere than high school. Your professor expect the best, no second hand work. Surround yourself with people that you can relate to and who you can identify with. Don't take on to heavy of a course load in the beginning, pace your workload. One last thing, seek out the extra help, get to know your couselor, academic advisor, dorm mother, resident advisor, classmate, and professors. Join some clubs, know your campus and it's surrounding, after all that will be your home away from home. Remember to take care of your body, physically, mentally, spiritually. Oh stay away from the credit card trap.

Well like with everything in the world today, it's automated and you have to go through several prompts before you get a live person to speak to, otherwise nothing. The staff in all departments are very helpful and patient with the students.

Sara

Dear Sara, It's your last year as a high schooler and slacking off isn't going to help you get ready for college. You need look and apply for scholarships early, apply for colleges, and keep your grades up. So maybe instead of taking a year off, you can go straight into college prepared and ready to become an Interpreter for those 2 different languages you want to learn. I took a year off because I wasn't prepared; I procrastinated. So take the time to get ready to go to college, or you'll end up bored at home, wishing to be in college with everyone else. Love, You

Genner

It's one of the better community colleges out there.

It's one of the better community colleges out there.

If i could go back and have chat with myself i would tell myself that college feels just like high school however more liberal and easy going, and tell myself that later on in life there might be some challeges in school and in life, but to ultimately stick to my dreams and goals. Also i would tell myself not to wait til the last minute to apply for college, and to look for scholarships and financial aid becuase it's easy to get money for college. And once in college, college life is a blast, but not to get too carried away there's still work to be done. Also that the transition from high school to colloge won't be hard nor scary. It will feel just like going to another class.

I would have liked to know how easy it was to get into college, i'm in community college now not that is a bad thing but i would have like to go to a 4 year school and have more options on things i could do.

My school is a great way to start someones life and move foward.

My school is a great way to start someones life and move foward.

If I was able to go back in time to give myself the advice I know now in college, I would tell myself that it was ok to go to a community college because everyone starts somewhere if you tried hard enough. I would also tell myself that I was their to get an education and get everything I can to move foward and mange time. I would have also told myself people come and go but the thing you learn stick with you. Mistakes happen and you learn from that but this is a one time shot for me to be exactly who I want to be and what i always dreamed of.

The people who shouldn't attend our school are the people who won't give it any effort and slack off.

LaToya

I would tell myself that time waits for no one and to make the mose of every opportunity that I can. I would tell myself that things really do get better and that I can shoot for the stars and reach if but only I apply myself.

The worst part aout the college I attend is the lack of classes available during certain smesters for certain popular classes.

Any kind of person can attend this type of college. The newly high school graduate to the working class to the displaced home maker. It is very diverse.

SUNY Westchester Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.