Selinsgrove, PA

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

I Love SU

I Love SU

Susky is a great place to discover himself. I love being here. There are so many interesting people here and the teachers are great. The class sizes are small, which means more one on one with teachers. Teachers are very helpful and they are really good teachers! I learn so much and I really just enjoy being here!

Victoria

To begin with, do not stay locked up in your room all day. It is very difficult to make friends when you do not leave your room. Also, if your roommate does not seem like your 'cup of tea,' that does not mean that you need to force yourself to become 'besties.' You live together, that does not mean you have to be inseperable. Do not put yourself through that misery. Do not stress yourself out too much about the academics. Yes, it is college, and yes everything is more difficult than high school, but it is not worth putting yourself into anxiety attacks over small problems. You will get through whatever the homework it; try not to procrastinate. Go to the gym or find some kind of active club to join. Seriously. That 'freshman fifteen' is NOT your friend, avoid it at all costs (while staying healthy). Do not be afraid to ask professors for help, it is their job to assist your education. Most importantly, just have fun. I know you may seem homesick or stressed, but college gets easier and goes by a lot quicker than expected. Enjoy it and take a lot of pictures!

I consider the lack of social events and activities to be the worst thing about SU. It makes it more difficult to make lasting friendships when there are limited activities to partake in at school.

A person that dislikes a small atmosphere should not attend here. This place is very small to the point where just about everyone either knows or knows of everyone, meaning there are very little secrets left unsaid.

Evelyn

I would tell myself not to be ashamed of taking a stuffed animal or blanket with me, because everyone has times when tey need something to hug when they get homesick, and it's never ashamed to miss home.

The family-feel -- since Susquehanna is only about 2,100 students, you can really get to know the faculty and staff, as well as your fellow students. There really is a feeling on campus that we are just one big family - with our occasional issues, but overall a great family who support each other.

The fact that there are so many options for clubs and classes -- it can really make it hard to limit yourself to a few!

Elise

School spirit. Loving and caring faculty and general community.

School spirit. Loving and caring faculty and general community.

Looking back on my senior year of HS, I just have to laugh a bit. I was so sure of myself. If I could go back, I would tell past me: -Learn who YOU are. Not your friends. Not your family. You -Grades aren't everything. The quality of your life is more important than the A. -Dive into college. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. You will thank yourself. -Focus on who/what is important. Don't get caught up in petty drama. You're much better off with a smaller pool of genuine friends than a large pool of friends who are there when it is convenient. -You are allowed to rely on others to get you through tough times. Contrary to your stubborn belief, sometimes you actually CAN'T do it all. -You are allowed to cry. -You are allowed to visit the dessert section at the cafe. -The gym will be waiting for you the next day if you regret it all that much. :) -Love fully and deeply. You will be faced with hardships and you will struggle. Don't let hatred penetrate the joy the you exude.

That I would not be eligible for work study because of my parents' income - even though their income in no way impacts my own...

Christina

If I could warn my high school self about anything, it would be not to procrastinate. High school is very different than college. I used to procrastinate all the time in high school because there weren't that many repercussions to my procrastination. I could whip a project or essay together in very little time and still get a good grade on my assignments. I would warn myself that college does not accept minimal effort. College assignments require time and dedication to do work. The amount of effort you put into your work will reflect the grade that you receive. However, I would also say to be more social. I am a very shy person, which has held me back in college. I would tell myself to take more risks so I wouldn’t regret not doing the things that I was too scared to try. I could make more friends. The best advice I would tell my high school self is to take the time to actually study the material so that I will do well in school. Also, to put myself out there more so I don’t miss out on opportunities that could be benefical to me.

The worst thing about the school would be the cafeteria food. Sometimes the food is under or overcooked. Overall, the food does not taste very good either way.

I brag about my teachers. I have really wonderful professors who care about their job and want to help their students learn. I do believe that I am getting a very good education at this school. I can receive help when I need it. The best thing about this school is that everyone here wants you to succeed and they make it very possible for you to do so.

Danielle

The opportunities per capita. Susquehanna has just as many, if not more, opportunities to be involved in and out of the classroom as a large campus but fewer people competing for them. Opportunity, paired with a community that shapes one's character, is what sets students apart after graduating. SU does an amazing job of maintaining the integrity of a small school while giving students a big school feel. You don't feel suffocated at Susquehanna, you have the freedom that college should offer but you also get the family feel which is an amazing support for such formative years.

I would absolutely tell myself that I didn't need to have everything figured out. I spent so much time agonizing on what I would major in and what kind of career path I would go down with my degree, when in reality college is the best place to figure those things out. Once I got to college the opportunities I had to be involved are what truly showed me what I wanted to do which ironically enough is to work with college students in some capacity. There's a lot of pressure to "have a plan" but if I could tell students or myself any word of it advice it would be: plan to have your plans changed. High school is very formative, but college is infinitely moreso. College is where you learn how to think, which ultimately leads to incredible growth through the flourishing of passion for something you discover through that thought. Passion is a vital piece to happiness and if students can go in with an open-mind and a plan to have thier plans changed, they can find true passion and then ultimately, happiness.

Any student who is not looking to be part of an intellectually and socially engaged campus would not enjoy SU. Students who are only looking to party or be exclusive among sports teams or Greek life would not enjoy SU and quite frankly they are the type of students who harm the amazing community that Susquehanna has to offer.

Danielle

Upon realizing who I was, my 17-year-old self wailed, "Aieee! I'm OLD!" "No I'm--you're not. You've read Chekhov's plays; when the characters talk about being old, it's not about physical age. They believe that they’re set in their ways and that they can’t change or grow. That’s not me, Danielle. I’m studying accounting… and I like it.” Her eyes widened in shock. “You need to understand that you are not your job. You cannot base your sense of self on what roles you’ve played or which films you were in. Who you--or any of us--are is so much more than what you do for a living. You can have a ‘normal job’ and act. Learn some marketable skills and you’ll be blessed to have a steady income doing something that interests you and being able to pursue your passion as well.” "Why didn't someone tell me that? Why did they make me choose?" she asked tearfully. "I wish I knew, Danielle," I replied, hugging her close, "We'll make it, though. Luckily for you, I'm not old yet."

Shayma

Susquehanna University is a place of richness, diverse ehtnic backgrounds, and filled with open-minded students, as well as a place to acocmplish your goals.

There are many things I wish I had known when I was first learning about college life. One thing I really would tell myself is save the drinking and parties for some other time...focus more on studying and getting that 3.5+ gpa. I've made that mistake before and it's not easy trying to balance the parties and studies. Getting used to the first semester takes a while, but once you know what you're in school for, it all works in the end. There might be a class or two that you're really sturggling with; that's why these professors in college are there to help you understand where you're going wrong in that class. They will do whatever they can to make sure you understand what's going on in that class you seem to always fall asleep in or think there's no point being in. The college transition isn't easy at all, but it will pay off in the end for sure.

Michelle

A school that offers a liberal arts education and offers great extracurricular activites with the guidance of a great staff, all on a beautiful campus in the quaint town of Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania.

Anyone that's intereted in furthering their education with qualified instructors, meeting a wide array of people, and who wants to have the great oppurtunity of studying abroad in one of the best study abroad programs around.

Mikayla

I would tell myself to look into my chosen major. I started off doing nutrition and changed after the first semester to pursue clinical lab science. I really wish I went into college knowing what I wanted to do so I didn't waste a semester. I would tell myself that college isn't just about "liking your major". It's about being passionate about what you're studying and being in a major that puts you in a career that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life and enjoying it. Clinical lab science will allow me to have so many opportunities in what I could be doing. I know I will find a lab that I love in the next two years and I can't wait for that. I would tell myself that I can do anything. I would tell myself not to be afraid of going to a big school and going for four years instead of two. I'm so thankful that I realized what I wanted and that I'm on the path to success.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.