Susquehanna University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Susquehanna University

Matthew

I am very happy here. The overall atmosphere here at Susquehanna University is one of serenity and growth. The academics here are very well designed to allow students like myself to find their own path to success. The inclusion of a required, scholarly, cross-cultural experience through their GO program pushes them ahead of the competition.

Jordanne

The campus is gorgeous, I've made a great deal of friends here who are really important to me, and my professors have largely been really positive and strong teachers. My largest complaint would be how politically "neutral" our administrators can be when it comes to scary social issues – recently our school invited Ben Shapiro to speak on campus, an infamously controversial conservative speaker known for smearing trans people and making racist remarks. For a time on campus, minority students felt greatly unsafe, especially with police presence at the event to protect Shapiro. The school made no apology to these students. This kind of centrist politics allows privileged, liberal-minded students to feel happy that the campus isn't overtly bigoted while putting minority students in an uncomfortable position, as their safety and peace of mind are often compromised for this "neutral" image. These hot-button political debates on campus frequently come up in class, and often minority students must sit in class and listen to their peers talk about the importance of "free speech" which silences and harms those same minorities. In short, academically Susquehanna is a fine school, but its choices in handling difficult political issues leaves minority students constantly reminded that they are not prioritized or, in many cases, directly considered at all.

Cassandra

It's not a terrible school, but the food is pretty sucky and the way they assign rooms is horrible and way behind the times. The people are nice, and they're very good at pretending that they like Susquehanna, but many people don't like it very much. The tuition is way too high for the little compensation the students get, even with the scholarships, and I recommend the potential students look elsewhere. Unless you didn't think about college and just need one to accept you, as long as you went to high school, Suskie will accept you

Donovan

This school is an excellent place to learn and mature. While there may be some flaws in certain aspects of campus life, it is a place that provides many opportunities and will be my home for the remainder of my collegiate education. I especially appreciate the faculty and staff around campus because it is easy to build a relationship with them and they care about the well-being of students. The food in the dining hall could use more selections and more seasoning but overall there is always a place to go on campus to eat.

Genovee

Susquehanna University is my home away from home. This school's campus is firs of all so beautiful and with a campus population of approximately 2,000 students, there is much space for you to walk around or chase the squirrels. The autumn time is gorgeous and the classes are amazing. I love this school so much it is not even funny. The only thing I do not like is the lack of shopping centers very close. There is a cute are of stores a five minute walk away, but there isn't a grand mall near. The closest mall is a twelve minute drive away. But I love this school.

Susky is a great place to discover himself. I love being here. There are so many interesting people here and the teachers are great. The class sizes are small, which means more one on one with teachers. Teachers are very helpful and they are really good teachers! I learn so much and I really just enjoy being here!

Rebecca

It is a beautiful campus, but there is basically nothing to do on campus, or in the nearby area. The academics are not quite worth the price of the university, which is absolutely outrageous. I ended up transferring to a state school because I couldn't afford Susquehanna.

Justin

Susquehanna University is a unique school that allows anyone who is admitted to be who they are while also pursuing a perfect education. The liberal arts education allows everyone to partake in a core curriculum along with their designated major(s), which makes everyone more fitted to the world after college. Nearly everyone here is extremely friendly, and you're likely to make many friends while you are here. Professors are helpful and are knowledgeable about what they are teaching. I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else!

Tori

I love the school. I look forward to going back in the fall. However, I really wish the caf would step up their game when I came to the food. It was the same cold and nasty foods all the time. Also I wish the buildings would be updated a little. My room this year the AC wouldn't always work. All in all I love Susky.

Matthew

Susquehanna University is a great school. What it lacks in size, it makes up for with engaging and unique professors, a dedicated faculty, and a beautiful campus. Susquehanna University provides an education thatis challenging, but prepares each student for the real world.

Krysten

At first I thought this school was going to be a suitable fit for me. This was a backup school for me and I do and don't regret going. I'll start with the good, because there isn't a lot. One: The academics there is very good. Two: The professors are there for you Three: The study abroad program is a very good deal Now we can go into the bad. My personal experience at SU was not the most pleasant. I'll start with the location of the campus. We are in the middle of nowhere. The town slogan (told to me by an English teacher)is "three hours from anywhere". Everything is a drive away(about ten minutes away) and if you don't have a car and or live close by I can guarantee that you will be trapped in your dorm room from day to night. There is a large school bus that drives only on Saturday mornings to six, but does not give you the appropriate times when the buses will arrive. What is around there is a large thrift store, a basically vacant mall with only three main stream stores, Boscovs, Victoria Secret, and BAM!( books a million). Another thing is the campus activities which is non existent accept for the first full week of schooling at SU. Every other weekend there is nothing to do except, sleep, eat and do work. This is not a place for someone who is used to the city. This is not a place to see new things and experience a real college life. Third, The food that is served is not SAFE to EAT. On NUMEROUS accounts students have had food poisoning from the not fully cooked chicken, and other variety of meats they serve in Evert Dining Hall, Hawks Nest, Clydes. The meat is always undercooked and I have gotten sick myself from eating it unaware of the state of it. I have always inspected my chicken and every single time it is the same. This problem wasn't just brought up from just me, there is a food board at SU with students who have been trying to get the chicken to be thoroughly cooked for the past three years or so and nothing has been done about it. I learned of this from a SU Junior who basically only shops for groceries. and doesn't eat anything from the cafeteria. It is a waste of a meal plan that is about $4000 in your tuition. Four, Stereotypes really stick. Being in the Creative Writing program is great the teachers are wonderful. However, I wanted to know why certain activities where all of the SU students were gathered on Deg Lawn )the main lawn ) whilst the Creative Writing Majors where forced to go up to their separate building. Already to fits into that Introverted stereotype that is portrayed on students who came from high School where theses types of stereotypes just so happen. to be relevant. Lastly, No one on the campus has any positive feedback from the public safety. Who has just assigned their officers to have guns on duty. The public safety are truly not hand in hand with the university students that attend there. (Which I think is highly important) Also a personal experience is that one time A friend and I went to go get pizza from this little shop that was about eight blocks away from campus. A two minute drive no less . A tornado warning was issued about ten. minutes after we had gotten our pizza and the weather outside went from peacefully to terrifying in minutes. We took a chance and called Public Safety to maybe come pick us up to get us Safely back to our dorm. Their response was, "No. you are too far we cannot come and get you." Like I said this shop was a fifteen minute walk, a two minute drive and eight blocks away. We were not anywhere near the mall and or grocery stores, we were right down the street and wanted to see if we could get back to our dorms safety. The rain was heavy, heat lighting had been lighting up the campus, it was frightening. We ended up calling a friend with a car who walked all the way across campus from the library to the student parking who came and picked us up. Other Facts: The party scene is nonexistent. If you like being bone-crushingly close to a random sweaty stranger against a wall at a party then go to Susquehanna. The football games are not that exciting, barely anyone shows up unless homecoming. Greek Life from what I've seen isn't worth it. Also Roommate selection needs to be thoroughly evaluated because I know a lot of people who had psychotic roommates the first semester, I am one of those people, who were less fortunate. Thank you.

Olivia

Although I am not currently enrolled at Susquehanna University, I am excited to start the new chapter of my life at SU. The campus shows time after time through their staff, professors, and students that they are dedicated to success. I am confident I will have the resources I need in order to find myself and complete college with a life changing experience.

Micaela

Susquehanna is what you make of it. They offer many opportunities for all students, so it's up to you to decide what you do with them. The teachers are always available and the academics are good. There are many clubs on campus and a bus on Saturdays for people who don't have cars. The food could use some improvement, but it's good overall.

Michelle

My overall opinion of Susquehanna University is rated pretty high. I'm very pleased with everything on campus, whether it includes off-campus activities, on-campus housing, meals, activities or academics. There is always something to do and nice and kind people to do it with. I'm not only very comfortable on campus, but the people on campus are so welcoming and nice, unlike where I'm from. Where I'm from people don't say hello just because or smile even if they are having a bad day; people where I'm from always have a sour look on their face and don't offer any conversation just because they feel like it.

Lisa

Just from visiting the college I believe I was given a great understanding of how phenomenal it truly is. There are plenty of on-campus services to aid students with their new transition to adulthood and college life. I was also quite impressed with the dining services. The food was high quality, but more than that, there were multiple places to eat at on campus, and many of them offered gluten free food that is guaranteed to be free of cross contamination. As a person with Celiac Disease this is an extremely important factor for me. Every student I spoke to was exceptionally friendly, and they all knew so much about multiple subjects. It was refreshing to have such diverse and in-depth conversations with such polite people! The on-campus housing was phenomenal. I have seen the dorms of quite a few colleges, and they don't add up to Susquehanna. This university seems to focus on student comfort as well as academics, which is something I find important for student health. A comfortable student will have an easier time learning. And speaking of learning... what a library! It was astounding to see all the different rooms for studying, working on projects, and sometimes just having a movie night if no one's busy. The large collection of books was quite phenomenal as well. I'm sure there's plenty I'll be able to use to study, and more! Academic-wise, Susquehanna offers a uniquely diverse range of studies, and focuses on important aspects for building character. I will be attending the college next year, and even while going through quite a few struggles of my own, I'm confident that with everything at Susquehanna, I can succeed with my goals.

Gian

The moment I visited SU for the first time, I knew this was going to be my home. Since moving into campus, I have made many new friends, expanded my knowledge in what I was most passionate about, and had many fantastic experiences with the activities and extra-curriculars that SU had to offer. I'm currently an upcoming sophomore and I have no intentions of transferring or switching majors.

Joseph

Susquehanna University is a great school where it is easy to make friends and become involved with pretty much anything that happens on campus. The academics are engaging and the professors are intent on making you learn. The largest problem with the campus is that the food can get real boring real quickly. I recommend you have car or at least a bike to travel around the area.

Kaitlin

I really like it up there. I would recommend this school to anyone. The dorm rooms are huge and usually only two to a room. The food kind of sucks but there are a lot of great places in town and down the strip to eat so you will not go hungry. The professors are always there to help even if it has nothing to do with the course that they teach.

Susquehanna was a wonderful college for many reasons. The true beauty of the campus played a large part in both my acceptance to the university, and my happiness for the four years I attended. In addition, I felt that most of my professors treated us like a true student, and not just another number.

Kara

Susquehanna University has provided me so many opportunities to come out of my shell, meet new people, and become involved on campus. The professors know each student by name and are readily available to help their students. Everyone I meet on campus is always very nice and will always hold the door open for you. I absolutely love Susquehanna University and would encourage high school students looking at colleges to consider Susquehanna if they are looking for a welcoming college with great people and great professors.

Angelica

In my opinion, Susquehanna University is an amazing school. Students are constantly encouraged to explore their career options and get involved in extra curricular activities. In my first year, I became an on air DJ at WQSU, our on campus radio station and became a member of Zeta Tau Alpha. Susquehanna University encourages diversity and embraces its LGBTQ+ community and students.

Kelsey

Susquehanna has its faults like any other school, however it is an amazing place to learn about yourself and different groups of people. The professors are extremely helpful, but faculty as a whole is usually lacking on that front. You will come across amazing faculty members who go above and beyond, but you will also come across many who won't give you the time of day. It is a good place to learn but expensive. The tuition continues to raise without scholarships raising as well, which is a financial burden. Overall, a good place to be but if the faculty listened to students more, and asked us what we want, it would improve significantly.

Chrispfel

I love our campus, its beautiful and there's always something going on. The professors are always there to help; they have office hours, you can set up a meeting, or just shoot them an email with your specific question and they will totally get back to you!! However, if you're looking for a party scene, susky is not the place for you. There are parties but they are either way too crowded or get shut down unless you can get into one of the frat parties. I love it and hey you might even find yourself admiring a squirrel from time to time being that there are so many on campus!!

Justin

Rachael

Susquehanna University is a very committee based college. Just when I went to visit the campus, there were a bunch of people who would come up to me and talk to create a very friendly atmosphere. Overall, I felt very comfortable and safe on the campus and believed that the positive atmosphere could make it my new home.

Hanorah

Susquehanna University is not only a beautiful school, it is diverse. There are so many different kinds of people, there are so many different activities and clubs. There's a little something for everyone. I think that makes the school even more beautiful.

Jordyn

I absolutely love the Creative Writing program and my professors. I also don't mind the cafe food. I usually enjoy being on campus especially because everything is so close, but I do wish the organization in terms of getting information out to the students and planning things could be better. I also love the fact that every student needs to study abroad, but I wish they made it easier for students to do so such as with cost, planning, answering questions, and getting into programs. Also, I'm not sure why we have so few washing/drying machines, but we make do.

Sophie

It's overall a good school if you're looking for a private, smaller university. I just completed my first year and I'm still not completely sold. There are many things that could improve. It doesn't really help that the university itself is in the middle of nowhere. There are no major cities nearby. You get a feeling of isolation, and I went home every weekend I could because of this. I will also say that most days I question whether I should transfer or not. Tuition is high and keeps getting higher, and scholarships that are provided by the school don't increase with the price of tuition. The school is letting in too many students and there are sometimes four people living in a room for two, and you're all paying the price of a room for two. People in the specific major may not actually take any classes relating to their major their entire first year of college because there are too many students for the classes. The school is unprepared for the amount of students it's admitting. Okay that's all.

Nicholas

Susquehanna is a small school and small class size but that gives you more one on one time with your professors. There a hundreds on clubs and activities always going on outside of classes which will create for a good college experience. If you are looking for big school with big classes this is not the place for you as everything is just much smaller than a bigger university.

Lindsay

Susquehanna University is an overall excellent school to go to. I am a first year student and I feel like I have my own little family here. The first week of school and before school even started they made sure all first year students were comfortable and knew resources that were available to them. The University also prompts giving back to the community and first year students had to participate in it before school started. Some went to schools, houses, community centers, the garden on campus and even to nursing homes just to hang out with people or help with things that needed to be done. The campus is beautiful and so welcoming and the activities are always so interesting and they have a lot of fun events especially on the weekends.

I absolutely adore Susquehanna University. The campus atmosphere is very welcoming, and there is a plethora of ways to become involved both on campus and in the community. The class sizes are smaller, allowing professors to get to know students on a more personal level. Because of this, I know that my professors genuinely want my peers and I to succeed. There is more collaboration among students due to the smaller class size. Susquehanna also provides resources for students to succeed such as stress relief zones, a career development center, tutoring, and a counseling center. There is a wide variety of majors and minors that are offered, allowing students to specialize in a specific subject matter more than other liberal arts schools. Susquehanna also prides itself on their dedication to service along with their study abroad program, allowing students to have a new perspective of the world. Susquehanna is a beautiful campus that truly allows students to thrive in all aspects of their lives.

Like all schools, Susquehanna University has it's ups and downs. The overall community of the school is amazing, which is probably the most important thing to me. I enjoy all of my classes and have a number of friends in many different circles, which makes for a very enriching social experience. The only complaints I have come into play with housing and campus food, they aren't the best but at least these are areas where the school can always improve.

It's a great college with one of the best writing programs I've ever seen and I've made some of my best friends here that I believe will be lifelong friends. We also get the chance to study abroad at a more affordable price. However, there are things that could be improved upon, such as the housing situation, the food situation, not enough parking, and not allowing students to live off campus. Overall, though, it's worth it to come here.

Natalie

I love SU! It is a home, and you'll find the best of friends there! The professors are amazing and will really connect with you and help you do the best you can! The staff at SU are very helpful as well, and will get to know you personally, special shoutout to Judy! The only thing it lacks is a huge lack in diversity. There is a low number of minorities on campus, and the ones that are there, are for sports. However, I am hopeful for a future increase in color on campus and a bigger support for us. Overall, I recommend SU to anyone, it is one of the most beautiful campuses, and is a great place to receive a great education.