Swarthmore College

« See more reviews of Swarthmore College

To the first - Swarthmore is in an interesting place. It is academically intense and students do spend a lot of time in the library, but that is sort of the person that is drawn to the place. For as much as we complain about our work, we really do love it and we enjoy doing it. So for those who don't like learning, yea, Swarthmore is way too intense. But if you can geek out over simple things or are just interesting in thinking and learning and answering questions, then Swarthmore is the place for you. And, while the stereotype may be based in reality, you have chosen it because you enjoy it (somewhere down there). As for fun, I spent much of my time at Sharples laughing hysterically with friends or getting involved in random scrapes. It's not the stereotypical "frat and going out to bars fun" (there are two frats if you want something like that), but it's a quirky sort of fun. You'll find it climbing roofs, skinny dipping in the crum, in late night conversations, in Sharples marathons, in the Parlors, or pulling campus wide social experiements.

To a degree: people here are smart and not ashamed of being intellectual (which I love!). People here aren't all ugly, really, the truth is that the vast majority of people are just average looking. You're going to have some really beautiful, and some really hideous people, but mostly everyone falls in between. As for being socially awkward, a lot of people actually are-- but it's not always terrible. Sometimes it's endearing, because chances are, you're the same way.

nerdy-yes. even the hot ones are nerdy about something. maybe they get really interested in social theory or higher level math. they wouldn't be here if they weren't nerdy. intense--yes. very invested in what we do. politically correct-runs the gamut. some are much mroe so than others, but there is a very present sensitivity on campus ugly-i don't think this is very true

There are a lot of ugly, awkward nerds on campus and a lot of loud superlefty liberals. But there are also a lot of socially apt nerds and less loud moderates. Beautiful people are few and far between, and everyone is a little bit awkward and nerdy, and most people are left of center, so I'd say the stereotypes are exaggerations based on truth.

Everyone at swat is a nerd, though not all sci-fi nerds (though SWIL, the sci-fi group does have a very large presence on campus). There are parties, funded by the school, and people do go, though it is definitely a place that is more about studying and discussing theory than partying.

Swarthmore can dish out a pretty hefty workload, and most of the students here are involved in some kind of voluntary work, but for the most part we also do the normal college student thing as well. We're not always consumed by something serious.

Swarthmore has been coeducational since its incorporation in 1864; Swarthmore is very liberal; students work very hard but can also let loose, work does tend to overshadow platy though.

There's a grain of truth in probably all the stereotypes. But for the most part, Swat isn't as good or bad (or ugly, seriously, come on) as some of the stereotypes say.

Pretty accurate, as stereotypes go. Least so when it comes to being no fun, but it is true that Swatties aren't generally into the "play hard" type of partying.

Work all the time is a pretty accurate one for most students here. The only thing that unites Swatties is that we are all weird in one way or another.