Swarthmore College

« See more reviews of Swarthmore College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

I guess we can split it up to three categories: The Good: We're very close-knit and we're known for having excellent professor-student relationships. We're quirky and kind of off-beat. The Bad: We're socially awkward, study all the time and there's nothing to do on campus. The Ugly: We're ugly.

Stereotypes--the students are intense, ugly, socially incompetent, genuinely enthusiastic about academics, intellectual, concerned about the societally disenfranchised, ultra-liberal, unbathed. About the school itself: that it's socially stifling and at a remove from the larger world.

The stereotype is that Swarthmore students are ugly, awkward nerds who spend all day in the library and never party or have fun. We are supposedly extremely (and very loudly) superleft-wing; they call it the Kremlin on the Crum or the People's Republic of Swarthmore.

I think the biggest stereotype about Swarthmore and Swarthmore students is that it is so academically intense that no one ever has fun and is always in the library.

sci-fi nerds who study too hard and don't party. Also, though it's not a stereotype, people constantly think Swat is an all girls school in upstate New York.

Swarthmore is a highly intensive academic environment where students do work 24/7. And when they're not doing work, they're out trying to save the world.

Incredibly nerdy & awkward. The typical Swarthmore student is very intelligent, intense, and driven, constantly over-worked and sleep-deprived.

That they are nerdy, socially, inept, and work all the time. Another less common stereotype is that they are very activist politically.

Swat students are thought of to be over-extended and very ambitious. the school is very difficult with no time for a social life.

Swarthmore students are neurotic, nerdy, hard-working, intellectually engaged, leftist, smart, uninterested in partying, no fun.