Sweet Briar College Top Questions

Camille

I love Sweet Briar, but I guess it's a tie between the campus. The campus is beautiful. If you love natural beauty, then you would love Sweet Briar. Though I am a native Virginian, and should be used to the cold in the winter, I'm not, and so I hate having to walk from building to building in the cold in the winter. It isn't actually that far really, unless you have a music, exercise, or science class, though.

Casey

The school is very secluded and rural which gives very little opportunity for extracurricular activities and getting involved with a community.

Brittaney

My school's ad-campaigns attract a certain type of family namely I'm referring to the school's website and slogan. I feel that this projected image negatively impacts our school by distracting from the academics offered here and potentially inhibits ethnic/socio-economic diversity. This is a problem that needs attention because studies show that diversity on campuses, within the faculty and staff, increase competition and raise overall academic standards on a number of different platforms.

Mary

It is very isolated, it's near-to impossible to live on campus without a car (the exception being study abroad students who are well looked after by the international studies office). It's a good fifteen/twenty minutes from anything (quite literally). This means that on weekends most students (about 85{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of whom are in-state students) go home or to neighboring schools,leaving the campus dead. That, I think is Sweet Briar's worst characteristic.

Mary

The campus is extremely isolated, to get around you really need a car or know someone with a car to get around. That said, most people do have a car and in general people are very will to help one another out.

Artemick

Students are encouraged to overcommit to non-academics. Administration spends illogically. The healthcare is for show - students often have to find rides to emergency clinics and pay a ton extra. There are a few shuttles, but not always at convenient times - there isn't enough public transit available, so everyone feels they need to have their own car and the parking lots are eating up green space. The school is not nearly as attentive to environmental practices as they should be, and aren't investing enough.