Syracuse, NY
Syracuse University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Syracuse University

Tyler

The most frustrating thing about Syracuse University is none other than the cold weather! From below freezing temperatures all winter to daily snow, the weather eventually gets tiresome. There is also a lot of walking at this big university. Combine that with bad weather and below par plowing, and you may want to reconsider where to apply!

The worst thing about Syracuse University is the far walks to class during the freezing cold winter!

Chase

Syracuse University is a passionate and highly-rewarding school where opportunities are seemingly endless.

Syracuse University isn't for people who can't stand the cold.

AUBREY

Syracuse is a great mix of academics, athletics, and Greek life.

Syracuse is a great mix of academics, athletics, and Greek life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself a few things about college life and making the transition. Your test scores do not define you or determine your success. High aptitude with a poor attitude is recipe for failure. I would have taken my studies more seriously in high school. While getting good grades is a nice benefit to having a study regime, the truth is that structure makes the transition to college freshman much easier. Eating healthy and exercising regularly are also good habits to pick up now and decreases the chances of the dreaded freshman fifteen later. Apply for scholarships every year to lessen your loan debt and you do NOT need to go on spring break if it means borrowing more money from Sallie May. College is a time to step out of your comfort zone and make friends with people of various races, religions, socioeconomic statuses, sexual orientations, and political affiliations. People who challenge your beliefs often help you grow the most. Lastly, learning occurs both inside and outside of the classroom so, go Greek but, also go to class!

Emilia

I love my school! The opportunity to study at a great school has been such a privilege and I'm thankful to my family for making it happen. I'm on the sailing team, a member of Syracuse University Ambulance and will be taking advantage of the study abroad program starting this summer.

I think that athletics at Syracuse is the biggest thing. If you're an athlete you will fit in here. You don't have to be a D1 athlete though! There are club teams and people who get together and play just for fun. It's a different atmosphere at a sporty school and it makes college a lot more fun. The spirit and pride is crazy and going to a game of any kind is an experience. There is also something for everyone though. The amount of clubs to join are endless and when you meet people who enjoy the same things as you, you find your niche.

Some would say that the students are very social life oriented and all about partying but that is not entirely true. Students like to enjoy themselves but just as much as any other college student at any school. We have a good balance of fun and rigorous academic life. I am never bored either way.

Nathan

If I could to go back time and advise my younger self on college life and how to get the most out of it I would tell myself to step out of my comfort zone. I have never been unable to get friends and I am not socially unacceptable, however, I am just not the kind of person that will start a conversation with a random stranger. I am a member of the Syracuse football team so when I first arrived I automatically had 100 guys to call my friends. In my opinion this hindered my development socially. This is because I limited myself to my teammates and did not branch out to other students. In addition, being who I am I wasn't very comfortable with just going around my floor and introducing myself to all the other students. This led me to have few friends who were not on sports teams. I would tell my high school self to just leave my little bubble and introduce myself to other people during that first semester. That everyone else is as scared and timid as I am and that nothing bad can come from just saying hello.

In my opinion, the worst part about Syracuse university is the artic like atmosphere that manifests itself between the months of December, January, and February. I mean I am originally from Maryland where it does go below freezing during the winter, however, when you wake up in the morning and see that it is -12 degrees and your nose hairs freeze on your way to class, that just flat out sucks.

Someone whom is anti-social and does not like to participate in group activities would not be a good match for Syracuse. This is because there are so many opportunities to get involved and interact with all sorts of people from all walks of life at this University. I personally did not get involved during my first semester and I regret it. So my goal for this semester is to get more involved and make friendships that, hopeully, I will have through the rest of my life.

Endless opportunities are here, you just need keep your eyes open.

Endless opportunities are here, you just need keep your eyes open.

I love how the entire Syracuse community, both locals and students, wear orange and support our teams. It creates a closer community feel.

I would tell myself to take a deep breath and know that everything will be okay! I would really consider looking into my true interests instead of brushing them off as things that I could never turn into jobs.

Put the effort in now! You know you need to develop good study skills and if you develop them during high school, it will make your college life much easier and abundently more fulfilling. You're a good student but you need to follow your passions. Put all you can into debating and become really good! It'll provide you numerous benefits you will never see coming and allow you to speak confidently in college classes, a skill many students are lacking. Lastly, put your effort into learning how to eat correctly, workout, and become better at dancing/cheerleading. These skills and dedication to keeping your body in it's best shape will prevent you from gaining the freshman 15 and help you to meet new friends. Don't ever think you aren't good at a skill, like dancing. Instead, use this as motivation to become better. Research Syracuse more and learn everything you can about it. You will absolutely love it and dump that stupid high school boyfriend: you'll be so much better off without him.

Katherine

My classmates came from all over the country and world. Growing up, I went to Catholic school Pre-Kindergarten through twelfth grade. I went to an all-girls school for high school. That is why it was important for me to go to a large school and be able to meet different people. The first thing I noticed at Syracuse University was the diversity of the student population. There were so many different cultures, creeds and ethnicities. As I became friends with diverse classmates, it deepened my culture understanding of other peoples.

Syracuse University is unique in so many ways. Since it is a large school with many different departments, I was able to take classes I had never even considered. That includes classes abroad. The Study Abroad program at Syracuse University was amazing. There were so many different places I could go and classes I could take. I studied abroad in Madrid, Spain, and took classes like, "Christians, Jews and Muslims: Historical Encounters in the Mediterranean." It was an enlightening class and included a trip to Istanbul Turkey, where the East and West cultures really blended.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to embrace everything college has to offer. I would say to not limit myself to my comfort zone. Try something new and meet new people. I joined the ski team but dropped it because I was not sure I could handle that in addition to my class work and professional organizations. Looking back, I should have stayed with the ski team to meet more people outside of my major to share different experiences and friendships. I would tell myself not to take the easy Spanish class for the easy grade because, in the long run, learning the language, becomming fluent and immersing myself in the culture is more important than the grade in one class. I would tell myself while it is important to work hard, it is also important to have fun and build life-long friendships. I only keep in contact with a few college friends who still live in the area. I see the bonds other people have with their college classmates, and I wish I had spent more time with friends to build those lasting relationships.

Ariana

If I could write a letter to me, I'd start off by saying that even though you enjoyed highschool, college is still way better. However, highschool does not even come close to preparing you for the amount of work that you have to do so do all your homework on time and DONT skip classes and ACTUALLY pay attention. With regarding choosing schools, you have a whole slew of colleges to go to, don't pick the one just because of the name. Pick the school that is free or close to it (to save a lot of money and stress our family), pick the school that would be most down to earth people wise, trust me you DONT want to be stuck with rich entitled kids. It kind of sucks being at this school and thinking "what if." My last piece of advise, life moves on, so don't dwell on changes that are going to change, trust me life gets so much better once you pick your head up and leave the past in the past. Also, very unexpected things happen on your journey through college that make things so much better and happier :).

I wish I had known the amount of kids that were rich and made sure you knew they were, I'm not the kind of person that cares about status, I look for quality of people and when its the first thing you show off when you meet a person, I find it a turn off. For that reason alone makes me wish I went to another school.

Syracuse University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.