Syracuse, NY
Syracuse University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Syracuse University

Put the effort in now! You know you need to develop good study skills and if you develop them during high school, it will make your college life much easier and abundently more fulfilling. You're a good student but you need to follow your passions. Put all you can into debating and become really good! It'll provide you numerous benefits you will never see coming and allow you to speak confidently in college classes, a skill many students are lacking. Lastly, put your effort into learning how to eat correctly, workout, and become better at dancing/cheerleading. These skills and dedication to keeping your body in it's best shape will prevent you from gaining the freshman 15 and help you to meet new friends. Don't ever think you aren't good at a skill, like dancing. Instead, use this as motivation to become better. Research Syracuse more and learn everything you can about it. You will absolutely love it and dump that stupid high school boyfriend: you'll be so much better off without him.

Katherine

My classmates came from all over the country and world. Growing up, I went to Catholic school Pre-Kindergarten through twelfth grade. I went to an all-girls school for high school. That is why it was important for me to go to a large school and be able to meet different people. The first thing I noticed at Syracuse University was the diversity of the student population. There were so many different cultures, creeds and ethnicities. As I became friends with diverse classmates, it deepened my culture understanding of other peoples.

Syracuse University is unique in so many ways. Since it is a large school with many different departments, I was able to take classes I had never even considered. That includes classes abroad. The Study Abroad program at Syracuse University was amazing. There were so many different places I could go and classes I could take. I studied abroad in Madrid, Spain, and took classes like, "Christians, Jews and Muslims: Historical Encounters in the Mediterranean." It was an enlightening class and included a trip to Istanbul Turkey, where the East and West cultures really blended.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to embrace everything college has to offer. I would say to not limit myself to my comfort zone. Try something new and meet new people. I joined the ski team but dropped it because I was not sure I could handle that in addition to my class work and professional organizations. Looking back, I should have stayed with the ski team to meet more people outside of my major to share different experiences and friendships. I would tell myself not to take the easy Spanish class for the easy grade because, in the long run, learning the language, becomming fluent and immersing myself in the culture is more important than the grade in one class. I would tell myself while it is important to work hard, it is also important to have fun and build life-long friendships. I only keep in contact with a few college friends who still live in the area. I see the bonds other people have with their college classmates, and I wish I had spent more time with friends to build those lasting relationships.

Ariana

If I could write a letter to me, I'd start off by saying that even though you enjoyed highschool, college is still way better. However, highschool does not even come close to preparing you for the amount of work that you have to do so do all your homework on time and DONT skip classes and ACTUALLY pay attention. With regarding choosing schools, you have a whole slew of colleges to go to, don't pick the one just because of the name. Pick the school that is free or close to it (to save a lot of money and stress our family), pick the school that would be most down to earth people wise, trust me you DONT want to be stuck with rich entitled kids. It kind of sucks being at this school and thinking "what if." My last piece of advise, life moves on, so don't dwell on changes that are going to change, trust me life gets so much better once you pick your head up and leave the past in the past. Also, very unexpected things happen on your journey through college that make things so much better and happier :).

I wish I had known the amount of kids that were rich and made sure you knew they were, I'm not the kind of person that cares about status, I look for quality of people and when its the first thing you show off when you meet a person, I find it a turn off. For that reason alone makes me wish I went to another school.

Nakim

I would tell myself to calm down and not be so skittish. I was nervous and did not know what to do or how to act but after a while I just relaxed and acted how I do at home and people like me for it.

The fact that it is so ridiculously expensive means that my partents have to find money to pay for it and what they cannot pay for means that I have to either have to find scholarships or loans to cover the difference.

I wish someone had told me to make friends with people that are outside of my college. Most of my friends are also engineers and that is fine but when it comes to going out to parties we tend to go to the same place so it gets boring after a while.

Syracuse University is focused and fun :)

Syracuse University is focused and fun :)

The worst thing is how much fun it is! It makes it difficult to sometimes focus on my school work because there are always so many fun activities going on and the students at this school are very lively and sociable.

Alyssa

Syracuse University is a gorgeous university with a variety of academic, athletic, and professional opportunities. The spirit on campus is undeniable; there's something here for everyone! Between fantastic academics, a beautiful campus, incredible athletics, and countless clubs and organizations to get involved in, how could you go wrong?! I love how Syracuse has the feel of a small-town Univesity, but it's plopped right in the middle of a big city! Even though there are many, many students, Syracuse University really feels like home.

Dear High-School Self, It's you, from the future! There are so many things I need to tell you that I'm not entirely sure where to start. I suppose I'll begin by telling you that you need to relax. I know you worry so much about everything; about getting into college, doing well on your exams, being a good friend to everybody (even when they may not deserve it). I need you to trust that everything is going to work out. The people who are meant to stay in your life will stay there. The ones who don't, you don't need. You are smart and talented. You are going to be just fine. You're gonna LOVE college! I need you to trust yourself. You have solid instincts, girl. Believe in yourself, and don't ever let anyone make you second-guess that. This is your life. Do the things that YOU need to do. You only get one shot at it. Lastly, I need you to have fun. You've only got one life. Enjoy the ride while you still can. Close your eyes and leap! You've got this. I promise. Love, Me

When I brag about my school, I talk about all of the fantastic events we have on campus. From Ron Paul to Macklemore, Oprah to 2 Chainz, the University always does an awesome job with bringing interesting speakers to campus. Plus, seeing your athletic teams play on television is pretty cool, too. I love getting text messages from my friends saying that they're "watching your team kick butt!" Going to a school that everyone knows about and recognizes is the coolest thing I could ever imagine.

Brandi

Syracuse University is highly recommended as well as nationally ranked for many of thier programs but unless students get financial aid and scholarships I am not sure how it is affordable to anyone.

The first piece of advice I would give myself is to look at all of your college options. Just because all of your high school friends are enrolling in a certain college does not mean it's the right choice for you. There are numerous other reasons to attend a specific college other than which has the best parties or how many sororities they have; none of that will matter if your academics slip and wind up costing you excellent opportunities. You are going to have to study, and I don't mean for just twenty minutes I'm talking about hours for just one course. Take pride in everything you accomplish! Getting inducted into Phi Theta Kappa, heck yes, you best be proud because it's an academic honor that you worked hard for. Lastly I would tell myself, you are going to get through every obstacle standing in the way of your goals, please believe me when I tell you that you are a strong, independent young woman who is going to accomplish amazing things professionally, academically and personally.

The best thing about Syracuse University is the school spirit. Everyone always knows when sporting events are going to be taking place. The athletes are friendly and down to earth; the "fame" doesn't go to their heads.

Melissa

Dear High School Self,Congratulations on getting accepted to college! Here are some words of wisdom for the journey ahead.First, don’t take anything for granted. College provides you with unique opportunities that are hard to obtain in the real world. Internships, study abroad programs, extracurricular activities, speakers, concerts, plays… there’s so much to do! Now is not the time to be shy. If you don’t give things a try, you’ll never figure out what you want to do with your life.Second, spend time talking to your professors, especially the ones who will make an impact in your life. They have real world experience and are always willing to help you. Ask them questions, visit them during their office hours, and definitely don’t be afraid to get advice on the future.Finally, learn how to be an independent thinker. No one is going to hold your hand through this process. There are going to be days where things look bleak and days where everything falls into place. Use your brain, problem solve, and don’t be afraid to fail. You can always try again, but you can’t try if you never get started.

I wish I had known more about what I planned to major in. It was very easy to switch majors during my undergraduate career, but because I felt so aimless (and my advisors weren't incredibly helpful), it was hard for me to figure out where I truly belonged on campus.

The most important advice I could possibly give myself as a high school senior was that college work is 10x harder than high school work, so you better prepare yourself. You're going to need to study a lot more in college than you ever did in high school, and it's going to piss you off a lot. It'll probably take getting a really bad grade to get the message across to you that you need to buckle down and study your butt off. It needs to be all you. No one is going to be there to tell you to get your work done, and no one is going to be there to listen to you cry if you get a bad grade. You need to put the effort in. You get exactly what you put in, so if you put in bad effort, you're going to get bad results.

The architecture, the ridiculous amount of things to do on campus, Orange After Dark, the sports programs (mainly the ORANGE BASKETBALL TEAM!!)

Deka

No advice, I'd just do it like I did. I learned so much along the way and there is no way for me to put those experiences into words to have told myself.

a lot of shit like the weather, fake ass discounts we get for basketball games, parking, etc.

I am as hood and poor as it gets and I LOVED syracuse. Don't think I could've made a better choice. Real niggas can thrive here.

Syracuse University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.