Syracuse, NY
Syracuse University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Syracuse University

Yunxin

Syracuse University embraces international culture, creates intellectual challenge and guides students with life advices.

Top ranking of iSchool, Newhouse, and Maxwell school.

If was a high school senior now, I would research different universities and learn about prospective programs I can join as the first step. Other than the size of the university, the quality of faculty and staff, the diversity of student body, the campus environment etc., there are a lot of other things I can do as a senior to increase my chance to get into a dream university and make my college life smoother. AP Credits: I would learn about the curriculum requirements of my dream program in the university especially AP credit policy. Taking AP courses to waive college credits would make the college life much easier. With a lot of AP credits earned, I can possibly graduate from college early. Reach out and be active: I would actively contact professors of my dream college to ask if I can get involved in research projects as a volunteer to gain experience. If any professor accepts my offer, the research projects would allow me to gain professional experience, boost my resume, and possibly get me a letter of recommendation from the professor as an insider of the university I am applying to.

People are generally very friendly.

People are generally very friendly.

I would say I should have enrolled in some Advanced Placement courses so that I would not have had to take so many General Education courses when I came to college. Taking advanced placement courses in high school would ave also allowed me to become more future career focused because I would have had more time to explore other jobs for the future. I wish I could have been more involved sport wise in high school so I could get more scholarship in college, also so I could possibly get onto a division 1 sports team, here.

A person who likes an average sized campus with alot of diversity, likes to study and party and one who does not mind a moderately busy city surrounding the campus.

Carley

My classmates are creative, kind, fun, diverse, and I am honored to be associated with them.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself the college transition is difficult but worth every tear. I had a particularly hard time leaving my friends and family at home. I was ready to come home throughout my entire first semester. I was doing well in school, but I failed to appreciate the friendships that were developing right before my eyes and the elite education I was being provided with. I was confident I could make it anywhere, so I didn’t need to be in Syracuse and away from my family. I remember one day I was sitting in my room when I had this moment where I thought, “I’m okay. I have friends here. They are my family away from home. I’m happy, and I don’t want to leave.” I felt such relief. Getting through the hardship was the best decision I ever made. I always tell my parents that making me stay in Syracuse and putting me through that “torture” was the greatest thing they ever did for me. The struggle made me stronger and appreciate life more.

I wish I had known how prestigious Newhouse really was because I would have appreciated my acceptance into the school more at the time.

Brittney

Syracuse University is a unique institution simply based on the student body. You have a wide array of students majoring in many different fields. Upon coming to Syracuse I did not know Jewelry design was even a major, but I intend to graduate in May of 2015 with a bachelor's degree in jewlery and Metalsmithing and then go on to make a living with the education I obtain at Syracuse.

Senior year of high school was definitely a pivotal time in my life when it came to the shaping of my future. I was lost and had no direction in life during this year. I just knew that I had to go to the same prestegious univiersity that my brothers attended just so I could say I went there. Had I done that, I would have disregarded my true passion which is designing. After going to the perfect university for me and majoring in jewelry design and metalsmithing, I've learned not to sweat the smaller and little things in life. Sometimes events occur that are beyond our control and when we stand up to them and face them head on, the odds often turn out to work in our favor. My advice to my younger self would be to live each day as if it were the last one and not worry about the negative aspects of tomorrow, just focus on the positives and know that there is a plan already mapped out for us. Have faith and be strong, you will get through it and be very pleased with the outcome

Any type of person should attend Syracuse. I feel that the transition that occurs between your senior year of high school to that of your senior year of college is a major one. No body knows who they are when they first enter college, but the great thing about Syracuse University is that it gives you a vast area to explore and find yourself. There are no cliches and you will find a group of people that you best fit in with. On campus, it's not just black and white, there's every color in between.

kamille

Stay focused..Time management is key..Go to all your classes...aim to find a Balnce and most importantly Take advantage of every opportunity ..You control how much you succeed

Anone can find their niche here and do well...there are so many opportunities you really begin to understand the school's drive for Scholarship in Action. You just need to be open minded and positive and you can suceed. its better if you are a leader and do your own thing because there are also many avenues and opportunites for you to get sidetracked from academics and fall into Colleg life mentality.

Keyla

If I were to go back in time and see myself face to face with my senior self I would appreciate the opportunity to tell them everything I have learned. I would tell myself not to worry, to appreciate the little things in life and tell them that senior year only comes once. I would also tell myself that I have to plan for college and my schedule before school starts so that I can be prepared. Although this should be done in moderation, because letting it run your life and thinking about it every second will only cause stress. College is not scary; in fact it is an opportunity that is worth wild. So take small steps and make a schedule so that the rush won’t bring me down. I would tell my senior self that I can achieve whatever is in my grasp, that everything will be okay, and to "keep my head up high and my shoulders back" like my mother would always tell me. Enjoy the last moment in life where you can call yourself a high schooler because being in high school should be the memories your cherish. Live them to the fullest.

Chantal

My school is recognized for its Sport teams, its great colleges among them are a Public Communications school and Maxwell school as well as its vigorous performing arts school. All of the colleges provide great networking and research work outside of comfort zones. It's academic programs within all schools enable students to think globally and become active locally with communities.

College will be your time and place for growth, it will be very difficult but even if you are 3,000 miles away from home turn your moments of insecurity, stress and disillusions into motivation. Those moments are natural, college is not what you hear or what you've seen. Your college experience belongs to you, you write your own daily journal. When you feel out of place remember you are there to prove to yourself that you can be great and do great with the education you obtain. You will not only be the one scared, alone, and hopeless-resources are there. Even if no one says they are proud, make sure you take in that you were dedicated, courageous and intelligent to reach past the sky's limit. The most imporant thing is to be proud of yourself, you are a dreamer rising from hopeless family home, a mediocre high school where staff encourage community college. Know that you are a sucess story, but stay hard working. Just know that anytime you feel like giving up, you'll give up on a dream that will serve someone like you one day.

The worst thing about my school is it's diversity, even though the institution has an amazing Multicultural Program it's demographics based on ethnicity and race display the lack of minorities. It is essential to learn culture from one another, I believe that my generation is becoming less exposed to culture on thier own and by the institutions in which they belong to. Syracuse overall is not rich, 55% of children living in syracuse live at or below poverty line and those kids are a majority of African Americans. Higher education must include culture knowledge.

Marcia

Syracuse is best known for it's strong academic programs and NCAA sports teams. The S.I. Newhouse School of Communication is currently the number one journalism school in the nation. Syracuse is well known to all sports fans. With many trips to the NCAA basketball tournament and won the championship in 2003.

To my high school self: I highly advise you to expore as many clubs and activities as you are can. It is the best way to meet people and make friends. Also make more study groups with your classmates. College is more challenging and more work than high school. It would help to form a study group in your classes to split up the reading. It also will help to study for exams with other people to gain what they have taken from the lectures and what they think the profesor will ask.

Syrcause excelles in every aspect. From engeneering to theatre, Syracuse offers excellent programs for every major. In addition to outstanding academics, Syracuse offers clubs and activities for any and all intrests you may have. There is nothing like dressing in all oragne and cheering on your team with over 20,000 students and fans at sporting events. With a basketball team that always makes it far in the NCAA tournament, the sports are another thing that makes Syracuse such an amazing school.

Devine

Syracuse University is an amazing school, I think it really depends on your personality to determine how one will adapt. I am pretty outgoing but I am not to active and many things but I have enjoyed my four years here because people are so friendly and open to meeting new people. The one downfall is that Syracuse University is very segregated, I think that it serves as a major downfall. As for the classes I have loved almost every single one of my classes, I think that there are so many different courses even courses outside of my major that have impacted me life drastically.

Dee

I'd tell myself to make the most of very opportunity. It's not enough to show up to class and do well academically. It's also not enough to do extracurriculars. College isn't high school and it takes much more than that to do well. Find a few mentors, make meaningful connections, network with professionals in your field, engage influential faculty, and be selective when applying and choosing internships. These are the activites that will make your time in college worth it.

When I came it wasn't that racially and ethnically diverse. Since, the campus has gotten a bit more diverse but it's still has a very long way to go. The campus is also very segregated.

Syracuse University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.