Syracuse, NY
Syracuse University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Syracuse University

Meredith

The best thing about Syracuse is that it offers almost anything you want and will allow you to find a way to pursue whatever you want academically. The school is just the right size. I see people everyday on campus just walking across the quad that I know. It was the largest school I applied to, but you never feel lost in the crowd. The academic departments I'm involved in are small and close-knit. They care about getting you a job after school and helping you learn. On campus I spend most of my time in the Illustration studio and in the library. Although sports are important on campus, you really don't feel left out if you're not interested. There are definitely rebels that refuse to attend any sporting events, especially in the art department. One thing a lot of students don't take advantage of is the surrounding parks around Syracuse. Green Lakes and Highland forest are great parks to go to.

Students at Syracuse are generally very aware of political events and are predominantly left. Overall I would say the campus is not religious, but there are many opportunities for students like me that want to make religion a part of their life. Generally I would say that students from the same academic department hang out together most. In the case of Illustration, we have movie nights together and all go out to lunch after class. Students definitely never talk about how much money they will be earning one day - atleast in the school of Visual and Performing Arts.

There's some truth to them. I break them in that I am interested in getting a liberal arts education and I don't party, but one person doesn't change general attitudes.

Students in dorms DO NOT leave their doors open. This is one the biggest problems with Syracuse. Even freshman year when I was living in a learning community I never felt like I could just go visit anyone on the hall. Especially in upper class dorms, this gets even worse. The dating scene here really seems nonexistent. One Syracuse tradition is the Drawing Marathon. On a Saturday, students spend 24 hours just drawing and making comics. This year we are also having a star wars marathon to go along with the event.

Every teacher I've ever had knows my name and remembers it for years. I just ran into my Freshman Writing 109 teacher this fall and she remembered me and asked how I was doing. In the art department, students call all of their teachers by their first name. My favorite class I ever took was an English Class called Jane Austen in Context in which we got to go to London for spring break. I learned a lot, people participated in class, and I met two of my best friends from the class. Last semester our teacher actually got us together for a pizza party reunion. Overall I would say that education at Syracuse is geared towards getting a job, mostly because of schools like Newhouse and Whitman. Of course that doesn't mean that's the only thing students are interested in.

There are stereotypes that our school is full of sorority girls from New Jersey that party all the time. Overall the campus has a less academic atmosphere than some schools. In general students are more concerned about getting into a profession than getting a liberal arts education.

Blake

The best thing about Syracuse is that you realize how life tends to go in circles. History repeats itself and the only way it seems to get ahead is to learn lessons from your good and bad experiences. Having such a large student body compared to the high schools many students came from offers room for experimentation, good and bad. From there, students affect each other in the decisions they make directly and indirectly. Seeing students drunk in the street or yelling or vomiting may deter others from drinking and smoking, while others might be attracted to the "wild life". The school offers you the chance to grow at your own pace, learn lessons you couldn't learn any where else and make friends and enemies that will do the same. The school has a lot to offer the student inside and outside the classroom, and being situated in a rather dead city in the cold forces students to incubate among themselves and within themselves. Naturally groups, alliances, friendships and rivalries form creating an intricate network of social and academic communities.

The school is very "cliquey". Having a large number of students from many different places forces most students to associate themselves with people who are most like them, whether that be racially, sexually, academically and so on. The problem is that once those alliances are made, students remain in those niches and fail to go beyond the familiar which is why for many students who were the "majority" back home, they have a rude awakening to the tensions that exists between majorities and minorities.

There is nothing I can tell anyone that they couldn't or wouldn't find out for themselves. A year at the school will teach a person a lot about others, themselves and the world.

Race plays a huge role in how students and faculty alike view each other, whether they want to accept it or not. The school advocates for diversity and does well to create environments where different students can interact. At the same time, in doing so, racial stereotypes like "the rich white Jewish kid" or the "loud angry Black woman" or the "studious Asian student" are perpetuated. It is common to hear about the JAP's (Jewish American Princess's) and their ditsy attitudes and lack of common sense. Its common to hear about the drama Black and Latino students deal with because they talk so loud in public, drawing attention to themselves. Its not rare that you don't hear about the Asian because either they are staying away from everyone else and only living in their clique of only Asian friends.

Sports is huge on campus. If you're a sports fan, then this is the school for you.

It depends on you major but classes are what you make of them. Professors in most cases give attention to those who seek it. That is what is written in our school emblem (suos cultores scientia coronat). Each college is what the students (alumni included) so its not hard to see some schools get more lime light than others ie. New House Communications Vs. LCS College of Engineering. The good thing is that it is not hard to find an internship. The school is affiliated with companies and organizations all over the country. Internships can be tailored to your needs, provided the company likes you.

There is evidence to both support and disprove the stereotypes. Because of main stream media and comedians like Dave Chappelle that have made race a thing to laugh about, people play into the trap because they think its not harmful. People make jokes about themselves and others under the premise that no one will take offense to it. However, there are those who do get offended and make it their mission to be the opposite of what they "should be", creating even more problems. In this scenario you have people like the "white guy trying to be black" or the "White asian guy" or the "black chick that really isn't black".

Allie

The best thing about Syracuse hands down is the school spirit. EVERYONE goes to the basketball games and the student section is so much fun!! If I could change one thing, it would be the winters that last from November to April. For me, the size is perfect. Usually when I tell people that I go here, they make some joke about the weather or the struggling basketball team this year. I spend most of my time either in my dorm, at class, or at parties. I have lived in Syracuse my whole life, and I can tell you it is most definitely a college town. The city would be nothing without the university. Don't even get me started on our chancellor, Nancy Cantor. No one likes her, I dont know how she is still employed. Probably the biggest controversies are the various robberies. They happen more often than you would think. There is SO MUCH school spirit here, I dont know if I can stress that enough. One of the most unusual things here are the black squirrels. I've never seen black squirrels anywhere else in my life. I will always remember storming the court after we beat Georgetown on 2/16/08. Students complain about the usual- food, weather, professors. Nothing too crazy.

I really am not involved in any of those kinds of groups, but the people that I know who are are really into them. I know the Campus Crusade for Christ has a lot of people who genuinely love it. I think probably an African American student would feel the most out of place here. I mean, there are black people here, but not too many. You will see many girls in their black Northfaces and Ugg boots here. But there is always the kid who just rolled out of bed in his sweatpants too. Some people interact with other groups, but not too many. A lot of asians hang out together, as well as the African AMerican kids. The first table at the dining hall are sorority sisters gossiping about who hooked with what guy and which frat he is a member of. They are all wearing Uggs. At the next table are a bunch of obnoxious sports guys wearing Syracuse apparel and arguing over the NCAA tournament. They are probably Broadcast Journalism or Sports management majors. The next table consists of a bunch of guys and girls who live on the same floor and because of that, are really good friends. These people all have different styles and come from different backgrounds- these people are who are sitting at the majority of the tables. A lot of people here come from NYC, Long Island, and Jersey. There are definitely a lot of wealthy people here, but then there are a lot of middle class as well. I would say Syracuse is mainly liberal, but ive met some conservatives. Most of my friends dont talk about money too much.

Rich, from Long Island, NYC+ Jersey. Girls wear uggs and black northfaces and guys wear polos and designer jeans. Ive also heard that people here are better looking than the "average" campus, and to some degree that is true.

I would say that Frats and Sororities are the most important groups here. I'm not in one, but many of my friends are. I'm a reporter at the campus TV station, and I love it. There are some students in the dorms whose doors are always open, and then there are those whose doors are always shut. Many students plan their lives around the basketball games, but football- not so much. My closest friends just happen to live in my building. Some live on my floor, and a few live on the floor above me. There are some people who are in committed relationships, but not too many. Hooking up is way more common. If i'm awake at 2AM, I'm either studying, watching a movie, or (rarely) smoking pot. People go out at least once a week I would say. Some just chill in the dorms and drink with friends, though, if there's really nothing going on. Again, greek life is pretty big here. But I don't feel like I'm in the minority by not being in one. Last weekend, I started my weekend on Thursday night by playing beer pong in my friend's room. Friday, my friends and I smoked weed and went to see a local band play. Saturday, I went to the basketball game during the day and went to a frat party at night. And my entire Sunday was spent studying.

It really depends on what kinds of classes you take. I'm in a class with 13 people and then another with 300. My favorite class would have to be my RTN class, which is for my major, broadcast journalism. And I DESPISE Spanish. My professor is awful, but most other people i know really like the languages they take. People definitely get down to work when they have to here. It's all about balance- go crazy on Saturday night, but know that you will spend the majority of your Sunday in the library. For class participation, it really depends on the class and professor. Some professors claim you need to talk to get a good grade, but many times you can get by without saying too much. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class...people talk abuot everything from politics to the "M" theory. Students are competitive, especially in Newhouse. The most unique class I've taken is Human Sexuality and I would recommend it. I am a broadcast journalism major in Newhouse, and I can tell it's going to be a lot of work. People in Newhouse think that they are the shit, and there are some really cocky people out there. But it's one of the best communications schools in the nation, so that's to be expected, I guess. I dont really see my professors outside of class ever. And at least in Newhouse, the education is 100% about getting a job. There are so many connections with alumni, it's crazy. If you graduate from Newhouse, youre basically set.

There are a lot of rich kids from those areas, but honestly, there are rich people from everywhere. Not to say that there aren't people with less money, but there are a good amount that have some. There are also a lot of girls who follow the stereotypical dress code, but then there are always some who dress completely differently. There are so many people here, it is too hard to say.

Kendra

The best thing about Syracuse is that is offers so many activities and so many opportunities; I'm never bored and usually end up taking on too much because there's always something interesting to do or club to join. For me, this school size is just right. It was a little overwhelming at first, even coming from a 2000 person high school, but I love that it's big because there are so many people to meet. I can know a lot of people and still meet someone new everyday, which I love. When I tell people I go to Syracuse back in Colorado I get a lot of "wow"s and "that's so cool" and "you must be smart" or of course, "where the heck is that? kansas?" (no joke). For the most part though it holds a lot of ground because a lot of people in Colorado don't explore outside of the state and go to in state schools so i stand out from the crowd. There is a lot of school pride, which i love.

Honestly the majority of the people on this campus are loaded and are proud to announce it. I feel out of place A LOT because I do not come from money. I really really struggled to find people like myself that are more down to earth and are not obsessed with dropping $200 every weekend and then claiming "I'm so good with my money and barely spent anything!" Most the girls here are the spandex wearin, Ugg boot trekkin, big sweatshirt and sunglass sportin, girls. And the boys are the Louis Vuitton belt wearin guys. Some people will NOT talk to you if you do not have expensive enough clothing on, no joke. I've heard a girl proudly announce, "my daddy pays an extra $5000 so i can go here". A lot of people here are OBSESSED with themselves and are RUDE. However, there ARE normal people here who don't come in hand with daddy's credit card. They can be a little hard to find, but they're here. I've found friends that I love and feel I fit in now. Another thing to consider is that Syracuse is HUGE on Greek life. It almost feels like committing social suicide when not going greek and it sucks. But once again, there are other ways to meet people and the non-greeks are there. And of course, Frat's always make for a good party.

A majority of the student population fits these, but of course there are some that don't, such as myself.

There's always something to do and basically every type of club you want to join. There is NEVER a reason to not have outside experiences and to be bored.

I trust the professors and feel they know what they are doing. Almost all my teacher's know my name and I can get to know personally. I feel fully confident I will graduate knowing how to do my profession and will not be nervous to enter the field. Syracuse is also great when it comes to taking care of their students. I have gotten so much help and direction here from my advisor and the career services center. Whenever I feel lost i trust the school to help me out. They also are VERY helpful when it comes to finding internships, jobs, and networking, which is so important.

That a lot of SU students are Jewish. They're rich. They're smart.

Christine

The best thing about Syracuse is the variety of night life activities. Students can party on south campus if they want something low-key, go to a frat house, a house party, Marshall St. bars or downtown bars. There's always something to do and you always meet new people when you're out. I would change the weather, but if we did have warm weather year round, students wouldn't appreciate it as much or party as hard when the snow melts and the sun comes out (even if it is finals week). Perfect size- for every 10 people you know on campus there are 100 more you can meet. They ask me if I'm in Newhouse- and I am so they are always extremely impressed. During the day when I have classes, I spend most of my time in Schine student center upstairs- its a quiet place to study or nap if you don't want to walk back to your room or in Newhouse III. When I don't have classes, either in my sorority house, my boyfriend's fraternity house or my dorm. When I'm going out I'm usually at Maggie's or Harry's or a fraternity house. It's a great balance between a city and a college town. Marshall St. provides a small town environment with restaurants, bars and shops. You'll almost always see a familiar face on M street, especially after 2 a.m. on a bar night. Downtown provides entertainment (Syracuse Stage), great restaurants (Ambrosia), bars and there's a huge mall close by too. The Syracuse administration is helpful, but you don't come into contact with them too often. It was slightly controvercial when Chief Justice John Roberts came and spoke at the Newhouse III opening. It was an honor to have such an accomplished individual speaking at the school, but it was also contradictory because he is so conservative and not the best representative for free speech, it seemed as though we might have found a better candidate. There is a ton of school pride- the Carrier Dome is the most noticiable thing on campus and students go all out for D1 sports games. Basketball season is amazing.

There is a wide diversity of students on Syracuse campus. There are various religious centers on campus including Hendrick's Chapel, a Jewish center and a Muslim center. There is a LGBT center on campus and they do a fantastic job on campus. A student who needs an intimate environment in terms of student body size might feel overwhelmed by the size of the school. The majority of girls around campus wear leggings (hard tail/so low pants), ugg boots, and long sleeping-bag jackets. In the dining hall, you'd see a table of a few girls all wearing their sorority t-shirts or letters, a group of ESF students talking about trees or smoking pot, a loud group of rowdy, athletic men who are the crew team and a group of students (girls and boys) who live on the same floor as one another laughing about an inside joke that no one else on any other floor understands. There are a lot of students from random places in New York state (Westchester), Long Island, New Jersey, just outside of Pittsburgh, Connecticut or Ohio. There are random people who come from Texas or California because they wanted a change. Most students are wealthy and able to afford to buy $4 drinks at the bar or go shopping at Shopbop.com quite often, but there are also students who are on financial aid and or here on scholarship. Most students are pretty affluent because it is a private school. Many students are politically active. Students vote on absentee ballots. More students are liberal than conservative. That may be because there is a huge journalism school here at Syracuse, but most students who are well educated on politics at Syracuse are democratic. All Newhouse students hope to be making more than the average communication school graduate- many will climb to the tops of the ranks or become famous faces on TV. Most students expect to do well and make a lot of money.

That the weather is unbearable, it snows every day.

Otto's Army are all of the students who hold season tickets to football and basketball season. This is very popular- tons of students buy season passes and will go to every game. The Daily Orange is one of the top college newspapers in the country and a huge number of students on campus write for this publication. Greek life is also huge on Syracuse campus. It makes up more than 30% of campus including multicultural and academic sororities and fraternities. Sorority rush this year, 2008, more than 800 girls went through recruitment. It is a different kind of social life if you're not into fraternities and sororities. There are still things to do, but Greek life definitely enhances that. Plus there are tons of philanthropic events and community service events that Greek students participate in, providing an experience that gets students involved on campus. Students leave their doors open during the first two weeks of school when everyone is making friends. Usually sophomores (and hardly ever juniors) who still live in the dorms- as opposed to South Campus or off campus- will keep more to themselves. Freshmen get really close with the other students living on their floors without a doubt. Athletic events are HUGE- without a doubt. Guest speakers come to Newhouse all the time and the auditorium is usually packed. Syracuse Stage theater is popular as well. There are plenty of guys on Syracuse campus to choose from, whether you want a boyfriend or a hook up or something in between. While many girls complain that there aren't any, I've had no trouble finding quite a few. I have a boyfriend now and we've been dating most of the year, which has worked out great for me. It's totally different in college- there are no rules (enforced by parents). I met my best friends through other people last year, but they all lived in my dorm. We all ended up pledging the same sorority, which is where we met tons of other best friends. If I'm awake at 2a.m. on a Tuesday, I'm either trying to do work in my dorm, but drinking box of wine (which just leads to falling asleep) or I'm on Marshall St. getting three slices of Augies pizza with ranch dressing before heading home or heading to after-hours at a frat house. Mayfest is a day in May when all classes are canceled and there is a big fair with different academic presentations and other activities. However, students take it as a huge block party day where fraternity houses up and down Comstock Ave and all the houses on Euclid Ave play music, BBQ on their lawn, drink kegs, and socialize. Students it's an all day block party- people roam from house to house hanging out and meeting new people or visiting with friends. It's great because usually the weather is nice and it's before finals week so everyone is letting loose. People party as much or as little as they want to. There is a constant social scene on Marshall St. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are big bar nights. Friday is happy hour day. Wednesday is flip night at Feagans. Mondays are sporadically fraternity or sorority crush parties. People party all the time, but when they have to get their work done, they will. Fraternities and sororities hold a lot of party power on campus. If you're in a sorority, you have social events with other fraternities already made for you so you don't have to worry about finding something to do. Also, fraternities have parties as an alternative to spending money at the bar. This is where you will see the most people- whether they are in Greek life or not. Last weekend I went to my boyfriend's frat's Nickelodeon theme party. The next night I went to Harry's and then once it closed I went to my friend's house party. On a Saturday night, if you don't want to drink, there are plenty of events going on around Syracuse downtown. There are busses that take you to and from the mall, which has a huge movie theater. You can go downtown out to dinner at a restaurant with your friends. There are always concerts at SU underground or Funk n' Waffles on M street. There are a number of artists or speakers that come to campus.

The weather isn't as unbearable as everyone says- you'll still see girls out in dresses and heels on a Tuesday night on Marshall St. in the dead of winter.

Now that I'm a sophomore I've gotten through most of my big lecture classes. Almost all of my professors learned my name by the third class. Professors are also always available for office hours and once you come and talk to them there, they never forget you. My favorite class was MAG205 last semester. My professor (who I have again this semester), is a former writer for People magazine and knows all about the industry. Since this is my major, I found this class to be interesting because we took a magazine of our choice and wrote a term paper about all the different components. Basically we got to look at magazines and really understand what goes into them to get a better understanding of how the industry works. Human Sexuality is another popular class. You basically come to a two hour lecture and talk about sex. It's like sex ed only with the details that people actually care about added in. It's funny and extremely eye opening. My least favorite classes were big lectures like astronomy or nutrition. The professor never takes attendance so I'm not motivated to go to class especially since I can get the notes from another student. Then the tests are impossible. Students study a good amount, but it's broken up nicely throughout the week. Students usually go out on Tuesday and Thursday nights (in addition to weekends) and study in between. Most students don't have classes on Fridays which makes life easier. Class participation is extremely common and very encouraged in all of my classes aside from large lectures. My news class is essentially based on class discussion about story ideas and how we can make things better. I definitely discuss class readings as well as current events and politics with students outside of class. If I really enjoyed the reading from the class I'll talk to other classmates about it before and after class. Newhouse students are constantly discussing current events- especially politics right now. It's impossible not to. Most students aren't competitive with one another. I've found that students block off according to their major and they all help each other along the way. In terms of looking for internships, students may be more competitive in that area, but in terms of school work, everyone wants everyone to succeed. The most unique class I've taken is within my minor- religion in the news media. It is definitely an interesting class because it intersects two subjects that seemingly do not intersect, but you find everywhere. My major is magazine journalism. It is definitely a unique program to Syracuse. There are specific classes that teach students how to write magazine articles as opposed to newspaper. Almost all of the professors are experienced in the field and help give the perspective of the industry and prepare the students for that. I see my magazine/news professor in his office hours on a regular basis. I'm in the process of finding an internship and he has helped with networking or any questions I may have about the business. Professors are helpful not only in the classroom, but for questions that pertain to jobs or the industry. Most respond to their email within a few hours (some within minutes) and almost all of them give their office or cell phone numbers for easy contact. The core requirements are relatively annoying for students who already know what they want to do. Syracuse has a variety of strong programs such as communications, management, architecture, performing arts, design, film etc. For those students, many came to Syracuse solely for that major and do not plan on changing. For them, the core requirements of say a science class for a right-brained writer may be tedious. However, they do not take long to complete and AP credit helps boost students through the core early. Newhouse definitely prepares its students to get a job. Finding an internship is important right away, however the curriculum focuses on giving students a breadth of skills. Dean Rubin always said that more than anything, students should leave Newhouse knowing how to write- if they didn't learn anything else but that, they would succeed.

Zac

The best thing about Syracuse is the carrier dome. This is where the "Orange" play D1 Basketball, Football and LAX. To get through the football season, we get psyched about the basketball season. If i could change anything about the school, I would definitly change the student center. Right now schine is only used as a quick shortcut to get on and off campus. The food is bad, and there's very little area to hang out. The other thing I would change is the lack of area to study. During finals week it's nearly impossible to find somewhere that has an outlet to study on campus. You have to get really creative. Most people are impressed with me going to Syracuse. Coming from Jersey the first question from friends at home is if i know so-and-so, they don't realize the school is as big as it is. I spend the majority of my time in campus in Whitman, the School of Management. Basically, all of my classes are there, and I live right next door in a fraternity. Plus, there's a good cafe and a huge atrium to relax and study in. SU feels like it's fenced in from the rest of Syracuse. Recently they tried integrating the campus to the city, but it will take many years before students seriously adventure outside the campus. There are enough bars and parties going on either on campus or near off campus that there isn't a reason to go to the bars downtown. They are really expensive and apparently not worth it. The school administration is very strict. With every issue there's a ton of red tape. This can be anything from bringing a guest speaker to campus, to getting caught drinking by an RA. There's always some kind of process. The biggest recent controversy was an armed robbery on south campus. Basically 3 students stormed an apartment with guns demanding marijuana and cash. They got caught but it was a pretty big deal. There is a lot of school pride, lots of orange around. It kind of hurts the eyes after a while. The one experience I'll remember is pledging. It was the most fun I never ever want to do again. The most frequent complaints are about food quality, food choices, and dorms. They are fixing this by adding new dorms and cafe's around campus

Most of my friends seem to be from either the Boston area, Philly area, or NYC area. I am a student in SOM. Most kids dress in Abercrombie or Greek letters. There are very few blacks in my classes. Most seem to be either Jewish or from a wealthy background, or both. The administration constantly tries to promote forced diversity integration. What they don't realize is that it's better for people to do it on their own then force it. Most Indians stay with Indians, most Asians stay with Asians, and most Blacks stick with Blacks. You will never see a white girl in UGG's hanging out with a black person. Most guys are cool with anyone though. I have friends from all different backgrounds at 'Cuse. Most students seem to be pretty liberal. Most students seem to come from wealthy families

It depends on the class. I'm in Whitman, the professor's get to know your name. There are a few professors who think that they are the best person ever to live, so they don't care. Generally though if you are in whitman they know or at least try to get to know your name. A large lecture, no way will they know your name. My least favorite class is MAT 284. It's always taught by a non-english speaking professor. All math classes at SU are very tough and seem to be poorly taught simply because they are just entry level courses. The math professors who teach them are all specialized on such a higher level that they don't understand why they have to put the curve up so high in order for the majority to pass. There are a lot of smart people who go to SU as students. On the other hand, there are a lot of bratty, dumb girls who complain that's it's cold... As if that's what we need to hear... Everything at SU depends on the school you're in. I am a business student so I am in SOM. The professors are generally top grade and will try to get to know you. They all have some sort of experience or teach on the side. The requirements for SOM aren't ridiculous, but I really don't think I'll need to know calculus for the business world. I think that it really won't matter what I learn, but how I apply myself to the real world.

It depends on the group you hang out with. In every sorority you will find examples of this. This goes hand in hand with the fact that 20-25% of the students here are in Greek Life. Outside of Greek Life you have alot of middle income kids as well as many different cultures and backgrounds. Simply put, because the letters are always being worn, you notice Greek people more often then not.

Frats and sororities are a huge deal on campus. A large percentage of students are involved with them. The dating scene is pretty big, the best way to pick up a girl is to find a cute girl in a large lecture and say hey. I met my closest friends through my fraternity and my floor from freshman year. There is a pretty big mall about 15 minutes away, you can spend a full night there instead of drinking. Every weekend University Union puts up a free movie that recently came out. University Union is also responsible for bringing the largest concerts and comedy shows to campus. Last year, OAR came to campus, and this year block party (the big concert at the end of the year) will be pretty big. Traditions include winter carnival, homecoming and block party... The biggest nights in campus in order (from smallest) are Monday, Wednesday, Sunday, Tuesday, Friday, Thursday, Saturday

Jewish, Rich, Northeastern, UGG wearing, Jappy, Attractive, daddy's credit card with the lexus

nicole

Syracuse is what you make it. If you want to party every night, you could easily do so. if you dont want to party at all noone judges and noone cares. the size is just perfect because its big enough that you could meet someone new everyday and its small enough to still be able to have a close group of friends. sure its cold out, but its definately not as cold as everyone says. there also really isnt that much snow either, it could be much worse. Marshall st is the best! great food really cheap and the bars are located really close to the dorms so that its easy to get back.

theres a lot of girls from long island and it can be very "jappy" at times. especially int he sorrorities. but theres plenty of cool people and its soo easy to make friends.

people study here. people do work. we take things seriously and then come the weekend we let go. the classes arent thatttt hard, if you do the work youll be fine. sometimes the tests are really hard because you dont know eactly what to expect but hte teachers are always there to answer questions. all my teachers have been really nice and outgoing. theyre there to help, not just to get paid. NEVER take bio 121 or any other class with Marvin Drueger. hes aweful. thats the only bad experience iv had with classes.

i liek doing volunteer things. you really dont do stuff too often off campus because you need a car and freshmen cant have cars on campus.

Amelia

One thing that is great about Syracuse is that it is a big univeristy with a wide range of activities to do. There is something for everyone here and because of that the University feels a lot smaller. Each extra-curricular group, major, greek organization, learning community, even floor of a dorm has its own homey feel, which is great. I would change the weather in a heart beat. The weather and the city of Syracuse. They are both pretty awful. There is absolutely nothing to do here unless you want to make an event out of it (i.e. taking the 20 minute trip to the mall or going to armory square for a night.) Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to do on campus but it would be nice to be able to just take a walk without having to look at dreary buildings, freezing, and not feeling safe walking around the city itself.

Once again, at Syracuse you will find almost anyone. I have found that most people I have met here are from the North East but I also have friends from California, Hawaii, France, Puerto Rico, and El Salvador. As for Political Views, I have found that its slanted slightly left, but there are a good amount of conservative people here as well. Many teachers seems to be Liberal.

jappy, white, upper class, kids from Long Island

I am involved with a theatre-for-non-majors group called "Drama L'Orange" it gives students who enjoy acting, but are persuing other fields of study, a chance to express themselves in the way they are passionate about. Everyone in this group is very friendly and we all have stayed close friends even after the show has ended. Athletic events are huge here. Our football team is awful, but you still see a flood of orange filling up the carrier dome at every game. Basketball games are even bigger here. Soccor and Lacrosse are not as big but a good number of students attend those games as well. There are always parties. Not to say that students party all the time. Some students make Thursdays a big night, some friday and saturday, some go out on all 3, some never go out at all. Regardless there will always be some kind of party available, usually with a theme. If you don't want to drink, there really isn't much to do on campus unless you find other friends who aren't drinking and then you just have to be creative. Of course there are tons of events that go on here, but those will usually be over by 10 when everyone starts geting ready to go out. There's not a lot to do off campus.

Although I am not a theatre major, this semester I'm taking stage makeup which is a really cool class. Although at times it can be difficult (precision is key) it is fun learning all of the techniques. Our last project we had to make ourselves look old and our next one we are making ourselves look like a celebrity. I get along very well with my teachers and I think that partly has to do with coming from a small prestigous high school where teacher-student relationships are highly encouraged. At Syracuse it's really up to you. If you want to persue after class discussions, the teachers are more than happy to speak with you and if you want nothing to do with them you can do that as well.

yes and no. Of course these people exist, but because of Syracuse's broad curriculum it attracts so many different types of people.

Annie

Syracuse is amazing. Bottom line. I couldn't have found a better college. It's got absolutely everything and everyone here. It's diverse, there's always stuff to do, the parties are amazing, Greek life is popular. The academics are great too. Truly, the only bad things about it are the location and the weather. I miss being away from the beach, and the weather here is so random- a blizzard one day, and 60 degrees and sunny a couple days later. Literally. I spend time going to classes, working, working out, at my future sorority (I'm pledging right now), or at various campus events. Of course I go to the football and basketball games. On the weekends, I tend to party at frats the most, they're definitely the most fun. House parties are ok too. I hear the bar scene is pretty big, but I don't have a fake ID so I have no idea how that is.

Syracuse students really do come from so many places. There are so many different ethnicities, especially compared to back home in Maine. For the first time ever, I have friends who are gay, black, Asian, and Hispanic. It's amazing. I'm so glad I didn't go to a state school. Most Syracuse students are from Long Island, NY, or New Jersey. They're typically pretty rich. Still, there's a lot of students from other states and other countries. If you look hard enough, you'll meet some really interesting people. It's hard to tell how Syracuse is politically. I'd have to go with liberal, but it isn't a super politically active school. Maybe I just don't check it out that much.

Syracuse is amazing!!!! I'm so happy here. I honestly feel bad for people who don't go here!!!

I think academics at Syracuse are top notch. Most of my professors are great. A couple are hard to understand because they don't speak english well. I definitely notice a lot of students on facebook/AIM during class a lot, or texting. But I feel like this happens anywhere. Some of my classes are big lectures. Others are smaller. Class participation doesn't seem that common in ig lectures. I'm in the business school. Maybe I'm biased, but I think it's the best school on campus. Not only is it the best building (beautiful $40 million dollar building with state of the art technology) but my professors have been amazing and truly wanted me to excell. It's called Whitman, and when I came to visit Syracuse, it definitely surpassed my expectations and blew away all the other business schools I'd visited.

Danceworks is a really popular dance club- they're amazing. Other popular clubs are the sports teams, and definitely frats/sororities. I meet friends all over. There's so many places to meet people. There's definitely a lot to do if you don't drink or party. Personally, I don't know why you'd want to miss out on the party scene here. But theres's movies, shows, and alcohol free dances. Pledging is dry, so I've been just hanging out with friends in dorms or appartments. There's so many people here, you can never be bored.

A lot of people think Syracuse students are really Jewish. The girls are supposedly "Jappy" and some guys are considered "Guidos." Some people are like this, but lots aren't. Kids at Syracuse definitely have a lot of money. The typical Syracuse girl wears uggs, leggings, a long black northface, has a starbucks coffee in one hand and her blackberry in the other, and has long straight black hair.

The best thing about Syracuse is that it's the perfect size. It's small enough where you know people when you walk down the street, but at the same time it's big enough for you to meet new people when you go out at night. One thing that I would change about Syracuse is the weather. It would definitely be even more popular if it was in a warmer climate. It contains some of the top programs in the country with the Newhouse and Whitman schools, which separates it from competing universities.

People here definitely have different backgrounds. But it's good because everyone brings something different to the plate and you can learn from them.

Professors here definitely want their students to succeed, and will make time for them any day to fully grasp the information.

Fraternities and Sororities are definitely dominant on campus. I love it because it also makes the university smaller, and you get to know so many people quickly.

That all the girls walk around with big sunglasses, and designer handbags with dogs in them, but actually even if you do rarely see someone like that they are usually a pretty down to earth kind of person. But for Syracuse in general, it is known to be a work hard - play hard kind of environment.

Syracuse University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.