Syracuse, NY
Syracuse University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Syracuse University

Sasha

Good art program and d1 sports are the best part. i'd change the stairs going up the mount because they suck and i fall down them when it snows. its a good size. when i say i go to cuse they usually say "cool basketball!" or "oh shit snow!!!" i spend most of my time in art studio or my dorm/ other dorms. administration? i don't really pay attention...chancy nancy's "politically correct" changes are annoying. i don't remember any controversies. i think there is a good amount of school pride, not as much as..ohio state for example (since i live there). nothing unusual about cuse. most frequent complaints are snow and nothing to do down town or on campus alot

experiences? i talk to everyone...i dont know. i dont know who would feel out of place. some people wear pajamas to class, some wear nice clothes, depends on the person and how much sleep they've gotten. yes different people interact. 4 tables in the dining hall? ha this isnt high school we dont have lunch room cliques. most people seem to be from new york or new england. most seem middleclass-rich. some are politically active, all different views. lots of people say they chose their major to get rich

art and art history should be put together in the same major!!!! i don't want to be associated with those art history people!

sororities and stuff seem popular. i was in african drumming, nt my thing i quit. do broomball..its interesting. last year everyone on my floor left their doors open. not so much this year. athletics are VERY popular. well basketball at least. we only go to football because we are bored and want to mock them. guest speakers are cool, havent been to theater. dating scene...umm...average. my closest friends are in my major or lived with me. 2am on tuesdays i am painting until my 8 am class. traditions...? ummm....i dont know...mayfest i guess. some people party 4 days a week some never do. frats and sororities are kinda important. last weekend i went to house parties. saturday that doesnt involve drinking...i'll have to get back on that one. off campus i go to WEGMANS!!!!!

most of them know my name, because im in a small major. drawing for illustration was my fav class because it was taught by this crazy comic book illustrator. least fav is art history because the teacher talks about pointless off topic crap then tests us straight out of the text book. my classes are studios, so yeah we participate. some intellectual conversations out of class. they are competitive in my major (illustration) but we pretend we arent. most unique class...drawing for illustration i guess, or maybe comparative eastern empires. i see my professors at drawing marathons outside of class. academic requirements are fine. i dont know, my major is learning so we can get jobs as artists

they are rich? we live in igloos?

Eric

The school was perfect. I visited other schools which seemed too large and spread out, or too small and reminded me of high school. Syracuse was absolutely the right size in terms of the campus and the student body. There was definitely a ton of school pride. I felt like everything was ours. We were proud of our teams. We were proud of our standing against other schools. We were proud of our pizza place, our newspaper, our student housing, our city, and our section of New York State. We were supremely proud of our mascot, Otto The Orange.

Interestingly enough, in a school (Visual and Performing Arts) that prided itself on individuality, I was the one who stood out, wearing of all things, clothes from Abercrombie and Fitch. For the most part, everyone got along. You're gonna run into tempers and attitudes at any school, but I really felt that everyone was really together: proud of their school, in an us vs. them kind of way. Essentially, we're all Central New Yorkers.

- That it's a drink or else environment, and that you have to join a fraternity to have a good time.

Not at all. I had friends in frats and friends not in frats, and got along with everyone wonderfully. There was so much going on on and around campus that I always had something to do, and it didn't have to involve drinking. The SU environment was truly welcoming for whatever I wanted to do.

I went to Syracuse for film. I applied to and was rejected from the Newhouse School of Communications. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I walked across the quad to Visual and Performing Arts and was accepted into their film program, where I was able to study the art side of things and learn to become a real director, rather than strictly the business end, which was emphasized over at Newhouse. I did end up taking classes at Newhouse as a senior though, after cutting through a lot of red tape. And it was at Newhouse where I took the most important classes for me and my subsequent career... My first three years at Syracuse (1998-2001) were spent primarily within the walls of the VPA Film program, studying the aesthetics and intricacies of film language and film making. Sure, I had interned at one of the most successful music video production companies in NYC, but at school, I had no formal guidance in how to go after a job in the film business. Going into my senior year, I knew I needed to get into Professor Richard Dubin's Film Business class, and after talking to a ton of people in administration and cutting through a lot of tape, I did. I distinctly remember a project where, split into groups, the class was to pick a movie and dissect its makings. My group chose "The Fast and the Furious" and my job was to dig up numbers from pre-production. Being in college, I did what every other kid in that class did, and went to the internet, printed out figures from IMDB.com and showed up the next time in class, only to have Dubin shoot everyone's work down. He told us all that people in the film business are just like anyone else, and it's not hard to get in touch with them; go ask them for numbers. I - knowing I had to take this seriously, not to mention having something to prove, being one of only two non-Newhousers in the room - did as I was told. I went home, looked up the exec. producer's name, then his phone number in the phone book, left a message on his home's answering machine. He called me the next day and gave me the phone numbers of all of his associate producers and assistants and they gave me all the numbers I needed. The next class, you better believe that my hand was the first one raised. Going into the next semester, my last at Syracuse, I was scrambling to schedule the 5 credits needed for graduation that my advisor didn't notice I was missing. I decided to create an independent study that would not only provide 5 credits, but would also help me in getting a job. Dubin was kind enough to be the faculty advisor to this class, where I led three friends in documenting the process of pitching an original screenplay to producers, production companies and agents. We met weekly with Prof. Dubin to discuss strategy and create the best product we could. With minimal-to-no help from the others in my group, I secured meetings with Barry Diller, the Godfather producers, large production houses, agents, cinematographers, writers and others. Prof. Dubin's tutelage during my senior year has proven to be invaluable. Lessons learned from both of those classes have guided me since college, and have turned up fantastic results

Chelsea

Syracuse pairs Big East Division I sports and overpowering orange pride with colleges within that provide a small liberal arts feel. It’s all about experience here at SU, and the new mission of “Scholarship in Action” says just that. SU is a hidden gem of the northeast, tucked away in central New York, and has many top-tier programs that compete with the best. Syracuse is commonly known as the best communications school in the northeast, but it also has superior architecture, education, drama, retail management, and entrepreneurship studies. The administration continues to drive SU into the league of “new ivy’s,” and is actively working on a $1 billion campaign to continue future progress. There are endless opportunities to get involved, and the administration encourages students to expand upon their curiosities, start new organizations, and thrive in already existing ones. Unfortunately, sometimes freshman feel overwhelmed by the amount of clubs and extracurricular that exists, and there really isn’t a great way to navigate though them or find out how to get involved initially. Students can be found at every nook and cranny of campus, and most even venture to downtown Syracuse areas for dinner and entertainment. Not all areas of Syracuse are safe for students, and it is advised not for students to ever walk alone at night. It’s nice to have a city surrounding the university “bubble,” but the overwhelming amount of poverty on the outskirts of the popular city sites is sad and unsafe. On campus, almost all buildings are open 24/7, and include closed spaces for studying, so students don’t have to rely on the library as the only place to concentrate. On an average day, I spend about half the time in my room at my sorority house and the other half going to class, attending speakers and finding a quiet and relaxing place to do schoolwork. Students often meet up for lunch on Marshall Street or one of the many cafeterias. Though it is one of the nation’s more expensive colleges, there are excellent financial aid programs, and scholarships are abundant. Though some colleges receive more educational funds than others, each building has state-of-the art facilities, which allow students to be on the cutting edge of technology and learning. Still, mention the ‘Cuse to anyone, and the first response will have something to do with the abominable weather. And that is the worst part about campus. The weather gets to everyone, no matter how positive students try to be. When the wind is nipping off your fingers it’s hard to put that pencil to the paper. But when it comes to deciding between gray skies or the Syracuse University’s unique package of sports, intellect, and opportunity, students just weather the storm.

Students are predominately financially well off, and hail from at least middle-class families. Every girl is accessorized with designer jewelry (mostly reeking of the latest David Yurman), and comfortable yet fashionable clothing to keep up with the NYC style scene. Politics are important, and students are constantly keeping up on the news, but the campus is fairly center politically. Most students come from New York, Massachusetts, Long Island (yes, it is it’s own state here), Connecticut or California. New York City is a huge stopping ground for all ‘Cuse students, and most flock to NYU dorms in large groups while working for coveted companies as interns. Vogue, Vanity Fair, Time Inc., Cosmopolitan, The New York Times, People and Harper’s Bazaar are popular media destinations for budding fashionistas. SU students are known to take over and thrive in New York City, and most remain there or in Los Angeles after graduation. Students at SU are reasonably accepting of racial, religious and LGBT groups on campus. Religiously, the campus is varied. About 1/3 of the campus is Jewish, but it seems like more than that. There are religious groups, like Campus Crusaders, for every faith. Hendricks Chapel, located smack in the center of campus and designed like the Pantheon is an interfaith chapel and many students attend services and even dialogue circles there. Students and faculty are cynical in typical northeast fashion, and agnosticism exudes from all corners of campus. Students definitely have their futures in mind at all times, and constantly talk about their goals towards financial success. There is a center on campus just for resumes, and even classes for course credit dedicated to teaching students how to appropriately construct and build a resume. If anything, students will graduate with a great resume.

Syracuse University is truly a unique place to attend college. It is fun and exciting, and students always feel like they are surfing on a wave of progress. The scholarly atmosphere provides appropriate intellectual challenges, and students benefit as much from peer-to-peer learning as professor-to-student education.

Work hard and play hard is the mentality of most SU students. SU students may party four days a week, but still they manage to pump out first-rate work. The S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications is the masthead for the image of the school, so it is not unusual to see students conducting interviews for campus publications on the Quad or videotaping a news segment for TV on the way to class. Most students hail from New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut, and often dominate the prestigious internship pools during summers in New York City. Students are fashion conscious, but preppy Ralph Lauren Polo ensembles are a campus rarity. The typical female can be identified carrying a designer handbag in one hand and a Starbucks coffee in the other. Students are said to be exclusive, but never exclusively dating. Syracuse University is also known as a Mecca for Jewish camp-goers. Students may even refer to the university as an extention of ?camp.?

Syracuse provides countless social, extracurricular and philanthropic outlets. There is something for everyone. Each major has its own honors society and clubs, while there are also numerous adventure, dance and event planning groups as well. I was the assistant news editor for the Daily Orange newspaper on campus, which is a must-have experience for anyone seriously considering journalism. Other campus publications like 360 Degrees, Jerk, the Student Voice and What the Health are also popular publications. ED2010, a magazine networking group is also an excellent group to be involved in. It’s all about networking, baby. The group brings in experienced professionals in the magazine field to come and speak and even workshop with the group members. About 25% of students become members of fraternities or sororities and another chunk of the students are involved in Division I or club athletics. I am currently the Vice President of Marketing at Alpha Phi, and although I was weary about joining a sorority, it was the best decision I made. I have met my best friends through my sorority, and it is so comforting to have such a strong support group of girls with the same values as me on a rather large campus. There are twelve sororities on campus, though every sorority has passed through here at some point. Inter-sorority relations are sub-par, and the Greek Office is really working to kick that in to gear. Sororities and fraternities will often host closed parties with sports teams and even cheer leading teams. However, the Greek Office is making huge efforts to kick sorority and fraternity chapters off campus by imposing strict regulations and social punishments. There is plenty to do without being involved in Greek life or athletics, and though drinking is encouraged, sobriety is completely accepted. The Carousel Mall, soon-to-be Destiny USA has 17 movie theaters, and concerts, speakers, comedy shows and even theater productions are popular.

Professors make an effort to know each of their students’ names, and classes are usually small enough so that students can feel comfortable coming to professors with questions about class material. Class participation accounts for a significant portion of every SU class, so it is necessary for professors to know their students in order to accurately access their performance. Class attendance is mandatory, and more than 2 or 3 missed classes will result in at least a letter grade drop. Since classes are mandatory, students get to know and feel comfortable with their peers, and are able to have better class discussions. As far as my classes have gone, about half of my classes have been lecture-based, while the other half have been discussion based. A recent ethics class was almost completely led by intellectual discussions based on readings, and the professor only chimed in to pose a question or to quide the students back on track. I’m in the Renee Crown Honors Program at SU and would suggest applying to anyone who has the GPA and stamina to do so. Though it adds on a few additional class requirements, the courses offered are incredible. They are challenging, thought provoking and fun. I am taking an honors physics course right now called “Seeing Light,” and I get to learn about vision, colors and the philosophies of sight where the honors program provides strobe lights, prisms, and other fun optical illusion objects to make learning what I consider a droll subject interactive and fun. I mean, who doesn’t like to play with rainbows? The honors courses are taught by incredibly enthusiastic and compassionate professors and are composed of about 15 to 20 curious, but not overtly nerdy, students. As a magazine journalism and European history major, I am able to have both a vocational training experience and a general education. The Newhouse school is most certainly a school that is purely for students interested in snagging a career in communications. And if you are not interested in pursuing a career in at least one of the majors offered, stay away. From the get-go, the summer internship becomes the focal point. But a continuous stream of e-mail blasts from the Career Development Center will keep students on their toes and on the lookout for top-notch internship experiences. Newhouse continues to push the bar higher for students each year, and due to competitive acceptance rates, Newhouse students consider themselves campus elite. Students looking towards journalism will also be expected to create multi-media projects, stream video coverage and use the Web. Professors are experts in their fields, have great business contacts and applicable learning methods. Newhouse has been using the same formula for years, so that today’s professors are providing the same syllabi for present students. Whatever works! As far as European history goes, the professors are engaging and helpful. The work load is not unbearable, and the library database provides great primary sources. Each professor specializes in a particular time period, and sticks to it. Thus, I have had a couple professors several times already. Some professors are incredibly bias, however, and do not understand why a student does not possess the same passion for a particular time period. The TA’s are absolutely incredible within the history department. The TA’s are all graduate students, most of them working towards a PhD. They are well versed in the respective subjects and bend over backwards to make sure the students understand the class material.

Syracuse University is stereotypically known for rich kids who party belligerently, attend basketball games at the Loud House and go to school on the side.

Darren

SU's best thing would be that there is always something available to do on campus. At moment, you cannot be bored. There are so many clubs and extracurricular events that one can partake in. At any moment, you can be playing basketball, joining the chess club, practicing karate, reciting dramatic lines with the drama club or even saving the world with the environmental club. Then with regard to big events, SU does an amazing job at bringing speakers/comedians to campus. The list goes on: Bill Bellamy, Al Gore, Steven Lynch, Vincente Fox, Spike Lee, Bob Saget, Bill Nye, Jack Hanna, and that has been in the 12 months. It is amazing to see how far your dollars go, as SU does a great job to bring amazing events to campus. That excludes that SU offers free busing downtown or to the malls, and the on-campus sports are fantastic. The campus size is "just right" as it is overwhelming where you are just a number in the school's books, but you can always find someone you know on campus to hang out with. When you tell people you go to Syracuse, they are always like, "wow, you go to SU!" So, it's a remarkable school that one can go to.

Syracuse's student body is diverse. If you are religious, we have a catholic center, the Hendricks Chapel, Hillel, Chabad, Muslim groups, etc. The list goes on. if you want LGBT, SU has a top-rated LGBT program that has events on campus each and every week. I wouldn't say any student feels out of place at SU, as there is really a niche for everyone to join in. Like, you can find yourself in a group that makes movies, or a niche of kids who are holding a rally for Obama on this campus, so there is a lot of diversity among the things to do. Students wear just about anything on campus. Like you will see some on suits and ties, dressed for success. But then you have girls wearing Uggs and Leggings, and guys wearing Timberlands, etc. The one thing you need is a WARM WINTER COAT. You will wear it a good 4-5 months, so I would suggest buying a nice one, it's a worthy investment. Most of SU's students are from the northeast. I think 65% are from NY, NJ, MA, PA and CT. But it's amazing, being from Georgia, there are a lot of southerners on campus. SU is focusing on recruiting now in Washington DC, Atlanta, California, so there is truly a great amount of diversity amongst the students and you can feel at home anywhere.

SU has the most club sports in any college with over 57 I believe. On a Sat. Night, if you dont tdrink you can go to the movies, bowl, go to the mall, go see campus movies for free, go to the student center, or even go to SU social events like dances. Or you can play in video game tournaments.

Some of the main stereotypes about SU and SU students are that they are snobby. People think that the Northeastern Students, that come from NY, NJ, PA, VT, etc. are snobby and have a sense of that they are better than everyone else. Also, since SU is a private school, there is a stereotype that there are a lot of rich students here. Also, another stereotype is that SU students are diverse.

The Academics at Syracuse are top-notch. It's amazing, like in my Intro to Philosophy class that had 350 students in a huge lecture hall, the professor knew about 75-80% of the names. And if you didn't come to class, he would know. That is the effort and energy that professors take to know you. Like they will be great assets and I constantly find myself going to their office hours and talking about stuff outside of school because they are more of friends and role models that professors to me. Students study a good bit, but it all depends on who you talk to. SU definetely has intelligent conversation outside of the classroom, just the other night, we had a debate over politics and what not, so people actually care about real issues on this campus. Personally, I spend a lot of time with my professors outside of my class. I would def. suggest utilizing their office hours, but if you cannot make it, some professors give you their home phone numbers and cell, as they want to help you by any means possible.

These stereotypes are mixed. SU is actually a very diverse place. There are many things to do on campus and you will constantly see people of different diversities hanging out. I think that although the university tries to promote the term 'diversity' they do a good job, even though it comes off fake. But the campus is extremely diverse. With regard to the rich/snobby students, that is true. Some SU students think that they are daddy's gift to earth, but I suppose that this is everywhere.

The most popular groups on campus/teams would be SU men's basketball. Everyone on campus goes to see the men's team play. It is so much fun to go to a game at the Carrier Dome and see the future pros. That being said, football is awesome to go to as well, as we have a great facility for these events. The best part about it, as that at other schools you cannot get tickets to all events, but at SU you can! The athletic teams are super popular, as all students get free tickets to women's bball, lacrosse, and non-revenue sports. The theatre scene is great, as SU's drama program puts on some many plays. Most students either leave their doors open or unlocked. People are friendly and you can constantly be up past 2-3am just talking with friends on your floor in your common lounge, because people get along well here. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am either studying, playing video games, partying or working on a group project. I met my closest friends through the dorm system and classes. It is extremely easy to make friends on campus, so don't worry. As my best friends lived with my as freshmen or sophomores and were students in my major. People party here a lot. You will def. see parties Thurs-Sat, but I know that my roommate goes out of Tuesday's, so you won't have a problem finding a party whatosoever. Greek life is big, but it isn't for everyone. But a lot of students partake in it, and there are so many to chose from.

Syracuse University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.