Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

There are so many different student groups on campus that no matter what your race, religion, sexual preference, or social status, you will find a group that you fit in with and will make friends. Syracuse has such a diverse campus that no students feel out of place. I find that many people have a higher socio-economic class than I, and are often wearing brand name clothing that I do not have, but that does not make them look down on me or make me feel out of place at all. Syracuse is much more liberal than I am used to--again, small farm girl from Ohio--but they are so accepting of my views and I of theirs, and we get along great. Never have I been made fun of for who I am or what I think, and I have never seen that happen to others. I can definitely tell a difference between myself and others in the way that some girls dress--especially wearing leggings as pants because that was not accepted where I am from--but it does not mean that I look down on them. People wear many different things to class, there is not one "stereotypical Syracuse look" at all. While students do tend to stick with friends whom they have met in different activities or class, you definitely see that those activities and classes have brought together people who are very different. Everyone is so accepting and supportive of one another, and the campus really pushes for acceptance and diversity, which is great! I find that most students are predominately from New York or the surrounding states, especially New Jersey, but I have met plenty of other students from almost every different state, and other countries as well, so it is not overwhelmingly East Coast students. I believe that the East Coast accounts for just over half of the student population, thus showing that there is a good amount of diversity on campus. I have met people who "wear their wealth" but I have also met people who have a very large amount of financial aid. The college is very good at providing financial aid when needed--I know that I would not be here without it--and treating everyone equally.

Students are predominately financially well off, and hail from at least middle-class families. Every girl is accessorized with designer jewelry (mostly reeking of the latest David Yurman), and comfortable yet fashionable clothing to keep up with the NYC style scene. Politics are important, and students are constantly keeping up on the news, but the campus is fairly center politically. Most students come from New York, Massachusetts, Long Island (yes, it is it’s own state here), Connecticut or California. New York City is a huge stopping ground for all ‘Cuse students, and most flock to NYU dorms in large groups while working for coveted companies as interns. Vogue, Vanity Fair, Time Inc., Cosmopolitan, The New York Times, People and Harper’s Bazaar are popular media destinations for budding fashionistas. SU students are known to take over and thrive in New York City, and most remain there or in Los Angeles after graduation. Students at SU are reasonably accepting of racial, religious and LGBT groups on campus. Religiously, the campus is varied. About 1/3 of the campus is Jewish, but it seems like more than that. There are religious groups, like Campus Crusaders, for every faith. Hendricks Chapel, located smack in the center of campus and designed like the Pantheon is an interfaith chapel and many students attend services and even dialogue circles there. Students and faculty are cynical in typical northeast fashion, and agnosticism exudes from all corners of campus. Students definitely have their futures in mind at all times, and constantly talk about their goals towards financial success. There is a center on campus just for resumes, and even classes for course credit dedicated to teaching students how to appropriately construct and build a resume. If anything, students will graduate with a great resume.

I am gay and so I experience hate wherever I go. At Cuse, although there is a prominent gay population as well as organizations to help those in the LGBT community, there is still hate and discrimination. It is always guys, usually in fraternities that hold such hostility yet in order to grow, whatever environment you are in, you must hold your head up and look past their ignorance. As for any place you go, there is a wall between races. The black students at Cuse seem to congregate more on the South Campus- where apartments and sports facilities are located. They have many parties and if someone was to say we are going to a south party, you would immediately understand that it would probably be predominantly black and hispanic students attending. Who ever you are, if you come to Cuse, there will be a group of people that you click with and will have a good time with! There is such a large student body that there will be friends that you will go out with and party and get drunk with! Which, by the way, the parties at Cuse are AMAZINGGG!!!! Politically, Cuse is very diverse. I know that I am for the most part liberal, as are the majority of my friends- hey, i did say it is predominantly jewish! (okay that was a stereotype, but a true one at that!) There are those that are very religious and conservative but you just dont know who is who when you are having fun dancing and having a good time with eachother on the weekends-which, btw starts on thursdays ( and sometimes wednesdays: "wasted wednesdays").

Since 'Cuse is becoming more diverse, you can really find students from different backgrounds, social classes, sexual orientation, etc. Unfortunately, it seems to me that majority of people usually tend to hang out and be friends with students of the same race. There are only a select few who have friends from all different backgrounds. Since it is mostly winter the entire school year, students are limited to wearing winter clothes. Boys usually wear sweatpants, a jacket, shoes/boots, and a hat. You can catch girls wearing the same outfit around finals week, otherwise girls tend to be more dressed up with jeans, boots, a nice top, jackets, and some sort of snow hat. Uggs are common among the female population. They keep your feet really warm and are so comfortable, but snow boots are a must when its snowing. Uggs have absolutely no grip, and you'll find yourself tumbling to class. Most of the students are from the northeast, although there is a growing number of students from the west coast. There is also a large amount of international students. As I mentioned earlier, majority of the students are really rich. There are also quite a number of students from New York City, who are on scholarship.

Syracuse's student body is diverse. If you are religious, we have a catholic center, the Hendricks Chapel, Hillel, Chabad, Muslim groups, etc. The list goes on. if you want LGBT, SU has a top-rated LGBT program that has events on campus each and every week. I wouldn't say any student feels out of place at SU, as there is really a niche for everyone to join in. Like, you can find yourself in a group that makes movies, or a niche of kids who are holding a rally for Obama on this campus, so there is a lot of diversity among the things to do. Students wear just about anything on campus. Like you will see some on suits and ties, dressed for success. But then you have girls wearing Uggs and Leggings, and guys wearing Timberlands, etc. The one thing you need is a WARM WINTER COAT. You will wear it a good 4-5 months, so I would suggest buying a nice one, it's a worthy investment. Most of SU's students are from the northeast. I think 65% are from NY, NJ, MA, PA and CT. But it's amazing, being from Georgia, there are a lot of southerners on campus. SU is focusing on recruiting now in Washington DC, Atlanta, California, so there is truly a great amount of diversity amongst the students and you can feel at home anywhere.

I don't think anyone would feel out of place at Syracuse unless their heart really wasn't into being a student here. There honestly is a place for everyone; I felt out of place when I got here and it took a semester to adjust, but I found my place and that made life so much easier. Students wear EVERYTHING to class. There are kids who are dressed in sweats/pjs, kids in their Greek gear, kids put together in casual but presentable outfits, and I've even had class with a kid who wore a shirt and tie every day. You see everything and no one really cares. No, different students do not really interact. Everyone comments on how diverse the campus is, but at the same time, how segregated it seems. Four tables of students in the dining hall would mostly be made up of four different floors. My experiences living in the dorm were that people hung out a lot with the people on their floor and often ate their meals with the same people they lived with. Most Syracuse students are from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. The most prevalent financial background is upper middle class. Students are pretty politically active and seem to be predominantly left winged.

There are many different types of students here, and many clubs for those different types of students. Someone who wants to be constantly nurtured or know everyone walking on the path would probably not fit in here very well. There are a lot of middle upper class folks here, but a lot who aren't as well. Most people are from New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, so if you haven't had interaction with that East culture, it may take a little adjusting. But, once you adjust, it's fine and you'll learn about different walks of life. Politically, because it is a university, there are many left leaning students. However, there are also a fair number of right and center leaning students. So, if you're conservative, don't shy away from a New York State school because there are definitely other conservatives here, and the left leaning always appreciate a stimulating conversation on political ideals.

SU is not an ethnically diverse campus. It's almost entirely white people. There quite a few jews (25%?) but other than that look elsewhere for an ethnically diverse campus. All of which is not to say that SU isn't trying to be diverse. It's not like diversity is shunned or looked down on. It's just that it there isn't much there. The overwhelming majority of students come from New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, or Pennsylvania. Be prepared to be looked at a bit strangely if you don't come from there. (I'm from California, it's actually quite a bit of fun). A lot of Syracuse students are from wealth backgrounds. There are certainly a number that are not, but I find that a large number can depend on daddy's checkbook. Politically, SU student's are inactive. The vast majority just don't care about politics or current events - sports are more important.

Most of my friends seem to be from either the Boston area, Philly area, or NYC area. I am a student in SOM. Most kids dress in Abercrombie or Greek letters. There are very few blacks in my classes. Most seem to be either Jewish or from a wealthy background, or both. The administration constantly tries to promote forced diversity integration. What they don't realize is that it's better for people to do it on their own then force it. Most Indians stay with Indians, most Asians stay with Asians, and most Blacks stick with Blacks. You will never see a white girl in UGG's hanging out with a black person. Most guys are cool with anyone though. I have friends from all different backgrounds at 'Cuse. Most students seem to be pretty liberal. Most students seem to come from wealthy families

The students at Syracuse are pretty varied. I personally feel more at home with the students at SUNY ESF next door, but I have some great Syracuse friends too. A big part of Syracuse is Greek life and I don't really fit into that group. I have no desire to join a sorority, but I do know some good people who have. Syracuse is great though, because If you don't want to live the greek life it is pretty easy to get away from it. There are plenty of people who are not involved in sororities or frats. ESF students are really cool too. They are typically more laid back and easier to talk to than Syracuse students, I have found. I am a very laid back animal lover, so I usually fit better with ESF students.