Syracuse University Top Questions

My classmates came from all over the country and world. Growing up, I went to Catholic school Pre-Kindergarten through twelfth grade. I went to an all-girls school for high school. That is why it was important for me to go to a large school and be able to meet different people. The first thing I noticed at Syracuse University was the diversity of the student population. There were so many different cultures, creeds and ethnicities. As I became friends with diverse classmates, it deepened my culture understanding of other peoples.

Sydney

I have a variety of different classmates. Some attend every class, pay attention and take notes. Others come in late or not at all and goof off the whole time.

My classmates are young and eager to learn about a life they have yet to live.

Mariah

There are a lot of sorority/fraternity people who can be ditzy or blockheaded, but overall there is a lot of variety that includes students from all different countries, very free spirited and artsy students, athletic people, really smart people, and people that make you wonder how they got in.

edam

My classmates are dedicated people who exceed the expectations of our profesors.

Zoe

My classmates are focused on dedicated to their studies, and are not afraid to help others out when they are struggling.

My classmates seem focused and driven, wanting to succeed in each of their classes.

My classmates are very diverse in cultural backgrounds as well as in their desire to earn good grades (some don't seem to care as much as others).

Alice

The majority of them are very driven and passionate about what they are studying so they tend to be well organized and professional when they need to be; they are smart and creative if they put their mind to it, which makes for interesting lessons because people are always willing to contribute to discussions and talk about their own experiences or perspectives - however, there tends to be a hint of pretentiousness about them, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing as it creates a competitive environment and allows us to continually push each other.

KyuSik

Since I am a Freshmen, I describe my classmates as lost, immature, struggling, and trying to have fun.

Syracuse University is a very large and nice school. Many students are friendly and are willing to give a helping hand. For example, during my first semester I had this particular classmate who helped with when it came to Calculus. There were some concepts that I did not understand and she taught me in a way I found it to be easy. Ever since then, she was willing to offer help when I needed it. She just represents one of the characteristics of students in Syracuse University.

People are generally very friendly.

Carley

My classmates are creative, kind, fun, diverse, and I am honored to be associated with them.

Bridget

The students at Syracuse are pretty varied. I personally feel more at home with the students at SUNY ESF next door, but I have some great Syracuse friends too. A big part of Syracuse is Greek life and I don't really fit into that group. I have no desire to join a sorority, but I do know some good people who have. Syracuse is great though, because If you don't want to live the greek life it is pretty easy to get away from it. There are plenty of people who are not involved in sororities or frats. ESF students are really cool too. They are typically more laid back and easier to talk to than Syracuse students, I have found. I am a very laid back animal lover, so I usually fit better with ESF students.

Gladys

People here are friendly and great, we share opinions and enjoy having fun together.

Liwei

Students in SU are outgoing and active, and most of international students comes from the wealthy family, because of the high tuition.

My classmates are very similar to me. My home school, Crouse College, is like a family. Everyone is kind and willing to get to know each other.

Deeanna

There are many different types of students here, and many clubs for those different types of students. Someone who wants to be constantly nurtured or know everyone walking on the path would probably not fit in here very well. There are a lot of middle upper class folks here, but a lot who aren't as well. Most people are from New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, so if you haven't had interaction with that East culture, it may take a little adjusting. But, once you adjust, it's fine and you'll learn about different walks of life. Politically, because it is a university, there are many left leaning students. However, there are also a fair number of right and center leaning students. So, if you're conservative, don't shy away from a New York State school because there are definitely other conservatives here, and the left leaning always appreciate a stimulating conversation on political ideals.

There are so many different student groups on campus that no matter what your race, religion, sexual preference, or social status, you will find a group that you fit in with and will make friends. Syracuse has such a diverse campus that no students feel out of place. I find that many people have a higher socio-economic class than I, and are often wearing brand name clothing that I do not have, but that does not make them look down on me or make me feel out of place at all. Syracuse is much more liberal than I am used to--again, small farm girl from Ohio--but they are so accepting of my views and I of theirs, and we get along great. Never have I been made fun of for who I am or what I think, and I have never seen that happen to others. I can definitely tell a difference between myself and others in the way that some girls dress--especially wearing leggings as pants because that was not accepted where I am from--but it does not mean that I look down on them. People wear many different things to class, there is not one "stereotypical Syracuse look" at all. While students do tend to stick with friends whom they have met in different activities or class, you definitely see that those activities and classes have brought together people who are very different. Everyone is so accepting and supportive of one another, and the campus really pushes for acceptance and diversity, which is great! I find that most students are predominately from New York or the surrounding states, especially New Jersey, but I have met plenty of other students from almost every different state, and other countries as well, so it is not overwhelmingly East Coast students. I believe that the East Coast accounts for just over half of the student population, thus showing that there is a good amount of diversity on campus. I have met people who "wear their wealth" but I have also met people who have a very large amount of financial aid. The college is very good at providing financial aid when needed--I know that I would not be here without it--and treating everyone equally.

Syracuse has every race and everyone for the most part gets along. I don't know any students that would feel out of place at this school. I know a lot of people that are from different countries who love it here because they are not alone. Most kids wear jeans and a nice shirt to class and of course a winter jacket. But there are kids that wear sweats to class. All kinds of students interact. Most of the students are from the tristate area. There are a lot of rich kids here but Syracuse usually offers a nice finanical aid package. Students in New House are very politically aware, active, and are to the center. Every student has a dream of how much they are going to make, doesn't mean it is true.

Lily

The campus is diverse in almost every way. Students come from all over the United States and other countries. It would be almost impossible for somebody not to be able to find a niche. The only way in which the student body isn't really diverse is socio-economically. Most students come from the upper class or upper-middle class families. There are obviously exceptions to this rule because of the generous amounts of financial aid the school gives to students every year.

Braden

Hippies, partiers, and stoners. With the occasional studious student. Almost everyone parties on some level.

The students here are just like any average young adult. Everyone is trying to find out who they are, what they want to be... and SU is a place that is very open to that discovery experience. SU is so diverse! There is a great mix of students; international, minority, LGBT, rich, poor, athletic, artsy. The thing that is so great is that everyone blends well and accepts each other. Everyone just minds their own business, while still remaining polite and interactive. I can't think of a time when I've witnessed any type of discrimination. There are campus organizations for every type of person on campus and most importantly, they are open to anyone who is interested in being there! Everyone is at school to further their education and get ahead in life, and that is something that is respected and understood. We are all on an equal playing field here and that is evident in our interactions...and from my experience, a friendly smile on the bus or a kind word always warms you up during these COLD, COLD winters.

Penelope

Since 'Cuse is becoming more diverse, you can really find students from different backgrounds, social classes, sexual orientation, etc. Unfortunately, it seems to me that majority of people usually tend to hang out and be friends with students of the same race. There are only a select few who have friends from all different backgrounds. Since it is mostly winter the entire school year, students are limited to wearing winter clothes. Boys usually wear sweatpants, a jacket, shoes/boots, and a hat. You can catch girls wearing the same outfit around finals week, otherwise girls tend to be more dressed up with jeans, boots, a nice top, jackets, and some sort of snow hat. Uggs are common among the female population. They keep your feet really warm and are so comfortable, but snow boots are a must when its snowing. Uggs have absolutely no grip, and you'll find yourself tumbling to class. Most of the students are from the northeast, although there is a growing number of students from the west coast. There is also a large amount of international students. As I mentioned earlier, majority of the students are really rich. There are also quite a number of students from New York City, who are on scholarship.

Seth

Syracuse has a very diverse student community. There is a large Greek community that plays a large part in social life. The LGBT community is well represented and individuals of all socioeconomic classes are represented. There are rich and poor, white and black. Although many wear North Face and Ray Bans, many do not. There is some assimilation between different groups but largely groups stay to themselves.

Joelynn

My classmates are really nice and surprisingly outgoing.

Kenia

They are all different from each other for the most part with the exemption of some groups.

Elisabeth

They are motivated, friendly, and rich

Donald

The classmates at Syracuse are at first a little reserved and tend to be a little quite, but everybody is genuilnely nice once you start up a conversation with them. The people tend to be shy at first, but once you start up a conversation it is really easy to open up to people. The environment at Syracuse tends to be a little but snobbyish and stay in your own bubble, but deep down most of the people at Syracuse are very warm hearted.

Friendly peers who seldom offer help.

They are enthusiastic and passionate.

Maureen

My classmates are incredibly diverse, but mostly are all invested in their academics as well as in their extracurriculars, whether it's a volunteer group, ethnic club, social group, or really any kind of organization one can imagine.

With time people, places and things all change including schools. At Syracuse University, a college located in upstate New York, change has been taking place at a fast pace. What kind of change? Political change – from a politically independent or “neutral” based institution to a “liberal based” and “left leaning” institution. Syracuse is no longer your father’s (or Mother’s) university as evidence indicates the school has shifted significantly to the left over the past several years.

Everyone is unique and comes from a variety of backgrounds, but the one thing we all have in common is that we felt Syracuse University is the right school for us, and that bond is very strong.

Syracuse University students tend to be open and accepting of new experiences and educational opportunties; they make use of the environment around them and when necessary, are proactive in creating their own opportunities.

The students in my education classes are extremely knowledgable and I hope to stay in touch with them once we graduate because they will be great resources.

My peers are driven, creative, and versatile individuals.

Cordell

Diverse

Lucia

The students at Syracuse University generally appear wealthy and caucasion. Many seem to be relying on money from parents to fund their education and financial strains do not seem to be an issue. Many love to party on the weekends but still do well in school and have a lot of friends. The students are competitive and many are used to doing well academically in their high schools.

Greg

My classmates are focused, and determined - in terms of school work - but still know how to have fun.

Joanna

They are a group of interesting, smart and different individuals who have now become my best friends and the people that I can rely on for anything.

Emmanuel

They are courteous, friendly, and helpful.

There is no way to describe everyone; jocks, frat boys, rich sorority girls, LOTS of art students, sports fans, musical artists, quiet math students, foreign students, poor kids, rich kids, EVERYONE.

For the most part, the majority of the students are hard working and very friendly.

Greek. The Syracuse campus has a heavy Greek affiliation - fraternities, sororities (honors and social, among others).

My class is very close because we are together all the time, in and outside of classes, so I know them very well. They are warm and friendly, and we are all from very different places and backgrounds, so there's no discrimination. We like to socliaze but are focused and help each other a lot with our work.

Nina

they are very ikind, funny and intelligent but not always motivated when it comes to work that is disintrests them.

Jamal

Cool.

very motivated and driven to do well while helping others.