Syracuse University Top Questions

The academics are amazing. Class size is fairly normal. I have 2 huge lectures of about 150 kids each for two days a week and then we break off into groups of about 15 to discuss the lecture. It is a really warm environment.

Bridget

I am still in the lower level classes so they are pretty big, but if you make the effort to get to know your professors and TA's it really makes a difference. As you get higher in course level, the classes get smaller, that's just the general rule of college. Syracuse is a big school and many people would be daunted by the class size, but I work well in a lecture setting where I can just sit and absorb information. Someone who needs to have a more active role in class to learn might not do well in the lectures. My favorite class was Historical Archaeology. The professor dressed up as Indiana Jones on the first day, including bull whip, and then told us that real archaeology is nothing like the movies. I have always loved archaeology and taking that class was really great because it exposed me to so much more information than I would have had time to research on my own as a hobby. I now have an independent study working in that professor's lab. It is very interesting to analyze all of the material found at a site all together. Surprising correlations can arise.

Gladys

The professors at SU are great, they are willing to teach us what they know, and they are willing to help students with any questions they might occur.

Liwei

As a math major students, the math department contains many good professors. However, the school should pay less attention on Math department.

Academics at SU are great. Professors are very aproachable and they offer flexible schedules to meet with students and get to know them personally. Some of my professors do know name especially in sections. It is a bit harder in large lectures but for the most part i try to develop a relationship with my professors and/or my TA's. My favorite class at the moment is Philosophy 363 Ethics in International Relations because it is a huge discussion lecture and the professor seems to enjoy the class. My least favorite class will have to be Honors Writing because it is just an extra load on all my classes. Even though i really liked my instructure and learned a lot , it was alot of pressure when one essay was worth 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my grade. Students are always studying you willl always see many people at the library, in the computer clusters and even in the quad when its warm. All students work hard because the level of competition is also high. There are many oportunities but only for those who are willing to work hard on their grades. The most unique class i have taken was LAS in was a Latin American Studies class that embodied gender, social classes, ethnicity, and sexual orientation. It was a class that was based on world realities. I think that the school's academic requirements are fair because they want to produce well rounded graduates. At SU there are always opportunities geared towards prospect employment and internships are always available. They do offer many oportunities, such as guest speakers, that are for our own learning sake.

Carol

As a part of the Drama Department, all of my teachers know e by name. There are several lecture halls, though, where it is easy for a teacher not to know you, but if you put yourself out there, the teacher will remember you. You will only be known if you present yourself. At Syracuse, the amount of time people study greatly varies. I study in all my free minutes, but I also know people who open their book only for fifteen minutes to cram for an exam. I am an acting major, so my favorite class is Movement where we learn tumbling, stage combat, judo, and other techniques. The professors are always willing to help, and even go out of their way to make available weekend office hours. Here, the professors are always on your side, and they want to see you succeed.

Academics at Syracuse are very highly regarded. My classes are very comfortable sized, with about 20 to 45 students which is enough that the teacher will learn your name and a little bit about your learning style or personality. I have had a few very large classes, up to about 180, but they were very basic-level classes that are required for all business students, and it was still easy to ask the professor personal questions. Class participation is very common, and is usually through the form of the professor asking questions, and usually it is enforced by participation points that count towards the final grade, which is really nice. Students definitely study during the day and in between of classes, and the library is always filled with people, but no so much that you can not get a seat or computer. Many students talk about academics outside of the classroom, and study sessions are a common thing when students have the same classes. I am in the Whitman School of Business which is very highly ranked in the nation, and I can see why. We are required to take many "general education" classes, which is great and makes you a more well-rounded student. Then you work your way into basic business classes, then begin to focus on your major(s). In Whitman it is very easy to double-major, and I believe that I am going to triple-major in Entrepreneurship and Emerging Enterprises, Marketing, and Accounting, and I can do that comfortably in four years. Whitman also has a required internship which means that they will work with you to make sure that you have an internship, and we have one of the best career services in the nation. They hold career fairs, workshops, mock interviews, and so many other events that will help you in the hunt for a career, and something is available basically every week. Whitman also has a community service requirement which is great and gets you involved and helping others, and an international requirement which can be filled by taking a world culture class of some sort, or by traveling abroad to one of many locations in the world. Financial aid from Syracuse is extended abroad, and many other scholarships are available, making studying in Italy or Hong Kong a great possibility! There is not one thing that I would change about the set up of academics at Whitman, it truly is my dream school!

In large lectures most professors do not know your name, in smaller classes the professor usually knows your name, and this is the same in recitation. My most favorite class had to be Sociology, It is a class of 30 and our professor gets really involved and its very interesting. My least favorite class was Calc 1 because our professor was terrible and didn't care about the students. Engineers do not necessarily need to study, but there is a lot of homework. Class participation is very common in most of my classes that are less than 30 people. People always have debates about their theories outside of the classroom. Students are very competitive in New House, but in LCSmith it is not as competitive but a lot of fun. As of now i am a Civil Engineer and i'm a freshmen. When i see my professors outside walking i usually walk along with them and have a nice conversation even if it doesn't relate to class. The academic requirements at Syracuse are reasonable and fair. The education at this school is geared towards getting a job.

Lily

Starting answering!The professors are very helpful and if you need extra attention in a large class they are always there if you need the. My favorite class is ceramics you get to be creative and get inspired. Students study however often they please. The school is really what you make it and what opportunities you take advantage of. My department, art history, is small so I know all the professors and get a lot of attention from them. We even went out to dinner as a department one time!

I am a photography major in the school of Visual and Performing Arts, so I am on a first name basis with all of my teachers and I feel like they all know me very well. In my classes class participation is very common, and in most classes participation makes up part of your final grade. I have loved all of my classes except for the mandatory writing course. This was not a reflection on the teacher, but on the monotony of the subject matter. Since Syracuse is a big school, you will find all different types of people; people who spend all their time studying, people who only party, competitive kids, and apathetic kids, it all depends on who you choose to surround yourself with. The VPA department is very small, and an excellent learning environment . The other students in it do not tend to be competitive, instead they try to help you grow as an artist. The teachers push you, but are very supportive of your artwork and take a personal interest in you. Going into art school I found myself being skeptical about being able to find a good job after finishing with my BFA, however, after spending time with my professors and seeing how much I have grown as an artist, there is no doubt in my mind that I will be successful!

Braden

Great!

The academics here are top notch. Each school within SU has the best and most experienced faculty out there. Newhouse school of communications, Whitman school of management and the L.C. Smith college of engineering are some of the best schools in the country, respective to the career field. At these schools especially, the academics are extremely competitive. I can't speak for every student on how much they study, but I can say that if you want to do well in college, you definitely need to put in the work and stay on top of things. One of my professors once told me you can only have two of the three thing in college (sleep, academics, social life). In order to do excel at two of them, the third thing will be sacrificed. It really is true. However, no matter what facade someone puts on, college sets you up for your career, so everyone does work and puts in effort. Classes are good sized- most are around 40 students or less, but you will find some intro/lecture courses with a couple hundred students. The professors really do make an effort to get to know you though, no matter how big or small the class. (I've had a class of more than 50 people, when the teacher recited every student's name by the third week of class!) But remember, you need to meet them halfway; not only will you make a connection with them, but it will be in your benefit when it comes to grading, etc. If you have made a connection, they will be more inclined to help you out! SU sets requirements for its students to ensure we all walk away with a wide array of knowledge in a multitude of areas. I think this is why so many Orange succeed. .

The academics here are top notch. Each school within SU has the best and most experienced faculty out there. Newhouse school of communications, Whitman school of management and the L.C. Smith college of engineering are some of the best schools in the country, respective to the career field. At these schools especially, the academics are extremely competitive. I can't speak for every student on how much they study, but I can say that if you want to do well in college, you definitely need to put in the work and stay on top of things. One of my professors once told me you can only have two of the three thing in college (sleep, academics, social life). In order to do excel at two of them, the third thing will be sacrificed. It really is true. However, no matter what facade someone puts on, college sets you up for your career, so everyone does work and puts in effort. Classes are good sized- most are around 40 students or less, but you will find some intro/lecture courses with a couple hundred students. The professors really do make an effort to get to know you though, no matter how big or small the class. You need to meet them halfway; not only will you make a connection, but it will help you when it comes to grading, etc. If you have made a connection, they will be more inclined to help you out! SU sets requirements for its students to ensure we all walk away with a wide array of knowledge in a multitude of areas. I think this is why so many Orange succeed. .

Penelope

Depending on what class you're taking, class sizes can vary. The lectures are usually bigger, but require recitation classes that have less than 20 students in it. Some classes that I've taken, the professors have remembered my name. In fact, I have asked 2 of them to write me a recommendation. Class participation is very common and strongly encouraged in smaller classes, and especially recitations. Sometimes, the professor actually counts participation towards your grade. I have had some professors who are really good, and very knowledgeable about their topics. However, I've also had professors who should not be teaching. I am an international relations major, and I think its one of the best departments within the college of arts and sciences. They even offer a semester in Washington DC with an internship, so they really offer students real world experience. Overall, I think the academics at this school are pretty good.

Antonya

Everything has the possibility of being personable. The professors fully express their interest in having us get to know them as well as making themselves available. Each school within Syracuse University has their own pride but we are all prideful of the Orange. The combinations of majors that can compliment each other are so abundant and I feel like anyone can find something here to fit their need.

Seth

Your academic experience depends largely on the classes you take. My professors in Maxwell are top notch intellectuals and the tops of their fields. The same goes for several other high ranking colleges. My professors are brilliant and expand upon my knowledge and aptitude. The classes offered are fascinating and engaging. It is not too difficult to get in to Syracuse, however. So for every great professor and student there is a lesser one.

Many Teacher's aids.. Professors are nothing fanastic. You will learn to teach yourself.

The classes and teachers are mostly all really cool. The teachers seem really interested in you as a student and how you are doing. Go to office hours!! It makes you stand out as a student and could help you get that better grade. Lots of people take human sexualities, and everyone should. It should be required of all students, I learned so much in it.

Syracuse acts like it's a top notch institution, which is partially true. It's a good school, but you don't have to be a top student to get in. Most of my classes are fairly small, but you have to participate if you want the professors to know your name. There isn't too much competition. At Newhouse, the are constantly sending updates about jobs and internships. There are some classes that I would like to take and can;t because of requirements, but overall the choices aren't too bad.

Louise

My professors are all pretty good - as a Newhouse student many of them are way full of themselves and think they're gods gift to their subject. I do love newhouse because it has so many experiences professors and such so definitely worth it as not all the professors i have met are full of it. Just the bad ones are.

The classes at Syracuse are great. They are of good size and offer top notch information. All the Professors and TAs are willing to help as much as they can and help guide you to success. I have never been turned down help from anyone I've asked. The grading is fair as are the assignments. Everyone is there to make each other happy.

Professors do know my name. I took COM 107 with Dean Rubin, the ex-dean of the Newhouse school and he knew my name...all fall semester and then when I saw him in late April, he remembered exactly who I was. Professors in huge classes might not know your name, but it's likely that your TA will. Someone will know who you are. Favorite class: COM 107 (Rubin), SOM 122 (Wallin), ECN 203 (Evensky) Least favorite: GEO 155 (Bendix), Business Calc Class participation very common, students do have intellectual conversations out of class Students are competitive, but it's not like high school. I've seen individuals competing more against themselves than other students; it's not a really intense competitive atmosphere. Most unique class: REL 200 (Cavanagh) I'm a dual major in both Newhouse and Whitman. It's a challenge because my high school didn't offer AP classes when I was there, so I'm trying to complete 151 credits in 4 years whereas most other students only need to obtain 121. Thus, I'm taking 18/19 credit semesters and 9 credits this semester. At times I love Whitman and hate Newhouse, and at other times, I love Newhouse and hate Whitman. Either way, I know having a business major (even though my heart is in communications) will be an incredible asset- especially with the current state of the economy. I have spent time with professors outside of class, but only for academic reasons: I needed a letter of recommendation, I needed extra help, etc. I did see one of my professors in the dining hall once and we had a quick chat, but we don't hang out.

Skylar

In VPA (visual and performing arts) you have small classes with excellent professors. Yes the teachers know your name. In the other schools within the University? I've had mixed interactions. I am a very active student, so the liberal art professors usually learn my name, but if you are quiet or not a serious student, professors may not bother with you. I like to think of SU as being composed of two segments:party-kids and students. Students are competitive, but not cut throat, involved in the community, and serious about their majors. Party-kids party and are basically worthless. I dislike that I am forced to take such excellent classes with them. SU has a good career services department. Like everything else in a big college, its up to the student to find out about it utilize it.

kirsten

tough, must stay focused if you want to get a good grade, small class professors know your name, the gen ed's are interesting, some intellectual conversations outside of class but mostly your doing alot of work in a short amount of time and then partying hard that night. you do spend time with your professors outside of class, usually the ones in your major. students are competitive and want to do better than someone else.

Ahh the "Newhouse Nazi's" The professors at newhouse are above hardcore. I've never met a group of individuals striving to impress them until the first day of COM 107 when Professor Chock asked the class the president of Iran and 70 students out of 80 raised their hands. When you find your niche/major the classes get really personal and the professors make an effort to meet your needs as in time conflicts and what not. Not just the faculty but the Career Development Center and my academic advisor have pushed me to limits I never knew possible. I've got a great resume and an awesome internship and I'm only 20. I not only will learn to be a good journalist but a good citizen and a good friend. Syracuse teaches you about life and all it has to offer. I could go on about the stuff that I learned in class but what I really took out of it was that "you write your own story. you have the pen in your hand..so start writing how you want the rest of your life to be"

Academics in Syracuse is okay but not the best. The really good professors are very opinionated while the crappier professors are based on the text.

Syracuse has some great schools, like Whitman and Newhouse. While the academics are very solid, after a year at S.U., I've noticed that the TA's (teaching assistants) are awful. I have already had 3 that didn't speak a word of english, and unfortunately, that's not an exaggeration. However, the professors of the class are, for the most part, very knowledgeable.

Joey

I've had classes ranging from 15 people to 200+. But in general, I've found class sizes to be very reasonable. Large lectures always have a smaller-size recitation that goes with them. I've liked the majority of my professors. Some have been bad - they don't teach the way I want to learn, or have a heavy foreign accent (here's to the math department), but in general the professors are very knowledgeable and reasonable people. I have yet to find one that is too focused on research to listen to a student talk/complain/question. Studying and being an academic is certainly expected among my peers, but it's something that's done on your own time and in addition to extra-curricular activities. If you're looking for an intense scholarly environment, this is not it. Which is not to say that Syracuse is a party school - it can be if you want it to be, but the vast majority of people place a high value on grades. The photography department at Newhouse is very good. The profs. have a wide range of experiences and we're working with the a lot of the latest and greatest gear. (As of this writing that means top of the line Nikons and Canons). Thanks to a partnership with Nikon (and recently Canon) this is likely to continue. Newhouse received several Nikon D3 and D300 bodies shortly after they became publicly available. Lens selection is very good too with a wide range of top-end glass. All of this of course is free for photo students to use. Newhouse also has phenomenal internship and career placement facilities. A lot of the professors are old industry insiders who can be of assistance as well. Maxwell, the polisci school has been educational. Classes have certainly taught be quite a bit about the field, and have been insightful for a new junkie like me.

For myself, I believe that you can learn more teaching yourself than going to class and falling asleep in the lecture halls. That isn't the case for every class, but for the majority of mine, I'd rather get an extra couple hours of sleep than to waste my time struggling to stay awake for a Chemistry slideshow (especially when the professors give you the powerpoints online!). If you are taking a very popular class, such as psychology or general biology, you will have a large lecture class, along with a recitation class which is held once a week with a teaching assistant ("TA"). These recitations are lifesavers if you are not understanding something being taught or if you need an another way of picking up your falling grade; usually recitations are 10{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of your overall grade which helps a lot if you can do well in them. I cannot say for other students whether or not they are competitive, but for myself, I live on the competition! I strive to do better than others because, in the end, this is a competition to graduate with the higher GPA and the better resume. I believe Syracuse's academic requirements are very fair and realistic. The different colleges in the University are very structured and ordered, helping you in every way to reach your goal and getting the degree you desire. The education at Cuse, depending on the major or program you are in, is geared towards what you need in order to get a very good job but to also broaden student's awareness of all the different things they can learn and get out of their college education.

Jen

I took a class called "Animal Religion"--you don't really find that anywhere else. It was really interesting, a lot of work but it made you think outside of the box all the time, it was great! Making schedules is really hard... TAs are really nice, most of them at least.. You have to work hard and study hard in order to do well.

The professors are always willing to help a person out. There are a lot of different academic things to get involved in.

I would have to say that the Spanish department is kind of disappointing, unless you take classes at the SU Center in Madrid - then the classes are great. I would recommend Koseki, Lewis, Everly, and Walker as professors of Spanish and avoid Garcia-Calderon, Bonilla, and Kim. Newhouse classes are overall awesome. The students in Newhouse are competitive by nature but willing to help you out -- although, I'm not going to lie, there are some jerks there. The magazine department is a lot of fun. Most recently I was in an editing class where we created our own magazine about sex. It was a blast.

Dawson

Connie Caldwell will find you a job. She is the dedicated, extremely helpful career services woman you will come to know and love.

You academic experience depends on you- what school you are in, what your major is, whether you want hard classes or the easy way out. My academic experience has been outstanding because of the rigorous honors program here, which is unique and has challenged me in wonderful ways. But whether or not you have a very intellectual experience certainly depends on who you hang out with.

Meredith

Every teacher I've ever had knows my name and remembers it for years. I just ran into my Freshman Writing 109 teacher this fall and she remembered me and asked how I was doing. In the art department, students call all of their teachers by their first name. My favorite class I ever took was an English Class called Jane Austen in Context in which we got to go to London for spring break. I learned a lot, people participated in class, and I met two of my best friends from the class. Last semester our teacher actually got us together for a pizza party reunion. Overall I would say that education at Syracuse is geared towards getting a job, mostly because of schools like Newhouse and Whitman. Of course that doesn't mean that's the only thing students are interested in.

It depends on you major but classes are what you make of them. Professors in most cases give attention to those who seek it. That is what is written in our school emblem (suos cultores scientia coronat). Each college is what the students (alumni included) so its not hard to see some schools get more lime light than others ie. New House Communications Vs. LCS College of Engineering. The good thing is that it is not hard to find an internship. The school is affiliated with companies and organizations all over the country. Internships can be tailored to your needs, provided the company likes you.

Allie

It really depends on what kinds of classes you take. I'm in a class with 13 people and then another with 300. My favorite class would have to be my RTN class, which is for my major, broadcast journalism. And I DESPISE Spanish. My professor is awful, but most other people i know really like the languages they take. People definitely get down to work when they have to here. It's all about balance- go crazy on Saturday night, but know that you will spend the majority of your Sunday in the library. For class participation, it really depends on the class and professor. Some professors claim you need to talk to get a good grade, but many times you can get by without saying too much. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class...people talk abuot everything from politics to the "M" theory. Students are competitive, especially in Newhouse. The most unique class I've taken is Human Sexuality and I would recommend it. I am a broadcast journalism major in Newhouse, and I can tell it's going to be a lot of work. People in Newhouse think that they are the shit, and there are some really cocky people out there. But it's one of the best communications schools in the nation, so that's to be expected, I guess. I dont really see my professors outside of class ever. And at least in Newhouse, the education is 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} about getting a job. There are so many connections with alumni, it's crazy. If you graduate from Newhouse, youre basically set.

Kendra

I trust the professors and feel they know what they are doing. Almost all my teacher's know my name and I can get to know personally. I feel fully confident I will graduate knowing how to do my profession and will not be nervous to enter the field. Syracuse is also great when it comes to taking care of their students. I have gotten so much help and direction here from my advisor and the career services center. Whenever I feel lost i trust the school to help me out. They also are VERY helpful when it comes to finding internships, jobs, and networking, which is so important.

Now that I'm a sophomore I've gotten through most of my big lecture classes. Almost all of my professors learned my name by the third class. Professors are also always available for office hours and once you come and talk to them there, they never forget you. My favorite class was MAG205 last semester. My professor (who I have again this semester), is a former writer for People magazine and knows all about the industry. Since this is my major, I found this class to be interesting because we took a magazine of our choice and wrote a term paper about all the different components. Basically we got to look at magazines and really understand what goes into them to get a better understanding of how the industry works. Human Sexuality is another popular class. You basically come to a two hour lecture and talk about sex. It's like sex ed only with the details that people actually care about added in. It's funny and extremely eye opening. My least favorite classes were big lectures like astronomy or nutrition. The professor never takes attendance so I'm not motivated to go to class especially since I can get the notes from another student. Then the tests are impossible. Students study a good amount, but it's broken up nicely throughout the week. Students usually go out on Tuesday and Thursday nights (in addition to weekends) and study in between. Most students don't have classes on Fridays which makes life easier. Class participation is extremely common and very encouraged in all of my classes aside from large lectures. My news class is essentially based on class discussion about story ideas and how we can make things better. I definitely discuss class readings as well as current events and politics with students outside of class. If I really enjoyed the reading from the class I'll talk to other classmates about it before and after class. Newhouse students are constantly discussing current events- especially politics right now. It's impossible not to. Most students aren't competitive with one another. I've found that students block off according to their major and they all help each other along the way. In terms of looking for internships, students may be more competitive in that area, but in terms of school work, everyone wants everyone to succeed. The most unique class I've taken is within my minor- religion in the news media. It is definitely an interesting class because it intersects two subjects that seemingly do not intersect, but you find everywhere. My major is magazine journalism. It is definitely a unique program to Syracuse. There are specific classes that teach students how to write magazine articles as opposed to newspaper. Almost all of the professors are experienced in the field and help give the perspective of the industry and prepare the students for that. I see my magazine/news professor in his office hours on a regular basis. I'm in the process of finding an internship and he has helped with networking or any questions I may have about the business. Professors are helpful not only in the classroom, but for questions that pertain to jobs or the industry. Most respond to their email within a few hours (some within minutes) and almost all of them give their office or cell phone numbers for easy contact. The core requirements are relatively annoying for students who already know what they want to do. Syracuse has a variety of strong programs such as communications, management, architecture, performing arts, design, film etc. For those students, many came to Syracuse solely for that major and do not plan on changing. For them, the core requirements of say a science class for a right-brained writer may be tedious. However, they do not take long to complete and AP credit helps boost students through the core early. Newhouse definitely prepares its students to get a job. Finding an internship is important right away, however the curriculum focuses on giving students a breadth of skills. Dean Rubin always said that more than anything, students should leave Newhouse knowing how to write- if they didn't learn anything else but that, they would succeed.

Zac

It depends on the class. I'm in Whitman, the professor's get to know your name. There are a few professors who think that they are the best person ever to live, so they don't care. Generally though if you are in whitman they know or at least try to get to know your name. A large lecture, no way will they know your name. My least favorite class is MAT 284. It's always taught by a non-english speaking professor. All math classes at SU are very tough and seem to be poorly taught simply because they are just entry level courses. The math professors who teach them are all specialized on such a higher level that they don't understand why they have to put the curve up so high in order for the majority to pass. There are a lot of smart people who go to SU as students. On the other hand, there are a lot of bratty, dumb girls who complain that's it's cold... As if that's what we need to hear... Everything at SU depends on the school you're in. I am a business student so I am in SOM. The professors are generally top grade and will try to get to know you. They all have some sort of experience or teach on the side. The requirements for SOM aren't ridiculous, but I really don't think I'll need to know calculus for the business world. I think that it really won't matter what I learn, but how I apply myself to the real world.

nicole

people study here. people do work. we take things seriously and then come the weekend we let go. the classes arent thatttt hard, if you do the work youll be fine. sometimes the tests are really hard because you dont know eactly what to expect but hte teachers are always there to answer questions. all my teachers have been really nice and outgoing. theyre there to help, not just to get paid. NEVER take bio 121 or any other class with Marvin Drueger. hes aweful. thats the only bad experience iv had with classes.

Amelia

Although I am not a theatre major, this semester I'm taking stage makeup which is a really cool class. Although at times it can be difficult (precision is key) it is fun learning all of the techniques. Our last project we had to make ourselves look old and our next one we are making ourselves look like a celebrity. I get along very well with my teachers and I think that partly has to do with coming from a small prestigous high school where teacher-student relationships are highly encouraged. At Syracuse it's really up to you. If you want to persue after class discussions, the teachers are more than happy to speak with you and if you want nothing to do with them you can do that as well.

Annie

I think academics at Syracuse are top notch. Most of my professors are great. A couple are hard to understand because they don't speak english well. I definitely notice a lot of students on facebook/AIM during class a lot, or texting. But I feel like this happens anywhere. Some of my classes are big lectures. Others are smaller. Class participation doesn't seem that common in ig lectures. I'm in the business school. Maybe I'm biased, but I think it's the best school on campus. Not only is it the best building (beautiful $40 million dollar building with state of the art technology) but my professors have been amazing and truly wanted me to excell. It's called Whitman, and when I came to visit Syracuse, it definitely surpassed my expectations and blew away all the other business schools I'd visited.

Professors here definitely want their students to succeed, and will make time for them any day to fully grasp the information.

Kendall

All the hype you've ever heard about Newhouse, it's true. People in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications are better then everybody else and that's a fact. I'm lucky enough to have a Public Communications Studies Minor; it's really given me a lot of direction and helped me to set real career goals. My favorite class within the minor is COM 300, The News According to Hollywood. It's pretty intense: once a week we show up for three hours and watch movies, and then we have a take home midterm and a take home final. Gosh I really hope I pass.

Dave

Ehh not that great. most of the classes i have taken have been big lectures and maybe half of those professors are any good, for example my physics teacher was horrible and i got a D in the class. Students are competitive but mostly because they want a good job.

Sasha

most of them know my name, because im in a small major. drawing for illustration was my fav class because it was taught by this crazy comic book illustrator. least fav is art history because the teacher talks about pointless off topic crap then tests us straight out of the text book. my classes are studios, so yeah we participate. some intellectual conversations out of class. they are competitive in my major (illustration) but we pretend we arent. most unique class...drawing for illustration i guess, or maybe comparative eastern empires. i see my professors at drawing marathons outside of class. academic requirements are fine. i dont know, my major is learning so we can get jobs as artists

I went to Syracuse for film. I applied to and was rejected from the Newhouse School of Communications. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I walked across the quad to Visual and Performing Arts and was accepted into their film program, where I was able to study the art side of things and learn to become a real director, rather than strictly the business end, which was emphasized over at Newhouse. I did end up taking classes at Newhouse as a senior though, after cutting through a lot of red tape. And it was at Newhouse where I took the most important classes for me and my subsequent career... My first three years at Syracuse (1998-2001) were spent primarily within the walls of the VPA Film program, studying the aesthetics and intricacies of film language and film making. Sure, I had interned at one of the most successful music video production companies in NYC, but at school, I had no formal guidance in how to go after a job in the film business. Going into my senior year, I knew I needed to get into Professor Richard Dubin's Film Business class, and after talking to a ton of people in administration and cutting through a lot of tape, I did. I distinctly remember a project where, split into groups, the class was to pick a movie and dissect its makings. My group chose "The Fast and the Furious" and my job was to dig up numbers from pre-production. Being in college, I did what every other kid in that class did, and went to the internet, printed out figures from IMDB.com and showed up the next time in class, only to have Dubin shoot everyone's work down. He told us all that people in the film business are just like anyone else, and it's not hard to get in touch with them; go ask them for numbers. I - knowing I had to take this seriously, not to mention having something to prove, being one of only two non-Newhousers in the room - did as I was told. I went home, looked up the exec. producer's name, then his phone number in the phone book, left a message on his home's answering machine. He called me the next day and gave me the phone numbers of all of his associate producers and assistants and they gave me all the numbers I needed. The next class, you better believe that my hand was the first one raised. Going into the next semester, my last at Syracuse, I was scrambling to schedule the 5 credits needed for graduation that my advisor didn't notice I was missing. I decided to create an independent study that would not only provide 5 credits, but would also help me in getting a job. Dubin was kind enough to be the faculty advisor to this class, where I led three friends in documenting the process of pitching an original screenplay to producers, production companies and agents. We met weekly with Prof. Dubin to discuss strategy and create the best product we could. With minimal-to-no help from the others in my group, I secured meetings with Barry Diller, the Godfather producers, large production houses, agents, cinematographers, writers and others. Prof. Dubin's tutelage during my senior year has proven to be invaluable. Lessons learned from both of those classes have guided me since college, and have turned up fantastic results

Professors make an effort to know each of their students’ names, and classes are usually small enough so that students can feel comfortable coming to professors with questions about class material. Class participation accounts for a significant portion of every SU class, so it is necessary for professors to know their students in order to accurately access their performance. Class attendance is mandatory, and more than 2 or 3 missed classes will result in at least a letter grade drop. Since classes are mandatory, students get to know and feel comfortable with their peers, and are able to have better class discussions. As far as my classes have gone, about half of my classes have been lecture-based, while the other half have been discussion based. A recent ethics class was almost completely led by intellectual discussions based on readings, and the professor only chimed in to pose a question or to quide the students back on track. I’m in the Renee Crown Honors Program at SU and would suggest applying to anyone who has the GPA and stamina to do so. Though it adds on a few additional class requirements, the courses offered are incredible. They are challenging, thought provoking and fun. I am taking an honors physics course right now called “Seeing Light,” and I get to learn about vision, colors and the philosophies of sight where the honors program provides strobe lights, prisms, and other fun optical illusion objects to make learning what I consider a droll subject interactive and fun. I mean, who doesn’t like to play with rainbows? The honors courses are taught by incredibly enthusiastic and compassionate professors and are composed of about 15 to 20 curious, but not overtly nerdy, students. As a magazine journalism and European history major, I am able to have both a vocational training experience and a general education. The Newhouse school is most certainly a school that is purely for students interested in snagging a career in communications. And if you are not interested in pursuing a career in at least one of the majors offered, stay away. From the get-go, the summer internship becomes the focal point. But a continuous stream of e-mail blasts from the Career Development Center will keep students on their toes and on the lookout for top-notch internship experiences. Newhouse continues to push the bar higher for students each year, and due to competitive acceptance rates, Newhouse students consider themselves campus elite. Students looking towards journalism will also be expected to create multi-media projects, stream video coverage and use the Web. Professors are experts in their fields, have great business contacts and applicable learning methods. Newhouse has been using the same formula for years, so that today’s professors are providing the same syllabi for present students. Whatever works! As far as European history goes, the professors are engaging and helpful. The work load is not unbearable, and the library database provides great primary sources. Each professor specializes in a particular time period, and sticks to it. Thus, I have had a couple professors several times already. Some professors are incredibly bias, however, and do not understand why a student does not possess the same passion for a particular time period. The TA’s are absolutely incredible within the history department. The TA’s are all graduate students, most of them working towards a PhD. They are well versed in the respective subjects and bend over backwards to make sure the students understand the class material.