Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

Syracuse provides countless social, extracurricular and philanthropic outlets. There is something for everyone. Each major has its own honors society and clubs, while there are also numerous adventure, dance and event planning groups as well. I was the assistant news editor for the Daily Orange newspaper on campus, which is a must-have experience for anyone seriously considering journalism. Other campus publications like 360 Degrees, Jerk, the Student Voice and What the Health are also popular publications. ED2010, a magazine networking group is also an excellent group to be involved in. It’s all about networking, baby. The group brings in experienced professionals in the magazine field to come and speak and even workshop with the group members. About 25% of students become members of fraternities or sororities and another chunk of the students are involved in Division I or club athletics. I am currently the Vice President of Marketing at Alpha Phi, and although I was weary about joining a sorority, it was the best decision I made. I have met my best friends through my sorority, and it is so comforting to have such a strong support group of girls with the same values as me on a rather large campus. There are twelve sororities on campus, though every sorority has passed through here at some point. Inter-sorority relations are sub-par, and the Greek Office is really working to kick that in to gear. Sororities and fraternities will often host closed parties with sports teams and even cheer leading teams. However, the Greek Office is making huge efforts to kick sorority and fraternity chapters off campus by imposing strict regulations and social punishments. There is plenty to do without being involved in Greek life or athletics, and though drinking is encouraged, sobriety is completely accepted. The Carousel Mall, soon-to-be Destiny USA has 17 movie theaters, and concerts, speakers, comedy shows and even theater productions are popular.

The most popular groups on campus/teams would be SU men's basketball. Everyone on campus goes to see the men's team play. It is so much fun to go to a game at the Carrier Dome and see the future pros. That being said, football is awesome to go to as well, as we have a great facility for these events. The best part about it, as that at other schools you cannot get tickets to all events, but at SU you can! The athletic teams are super popular, as all students get free tickets to women's bball, lacrosse, and non-revenue sports. The theatre scene is great, as SU's drama program puts on some many plays. Most students either leave their doors open or unlocked. People are friendly and you can constantly be up past 2-3am just talking with friends on your floor in your common lounge, because people get along well here. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am either studying, playing video games, partying or working on a group project. I met my closest friends through the dorm system and classes. It is extremely easy to make friends on campus, so don't worry. As my best friends lived with my as freshmen or sophomores and were students in my major. People party here a lot. You will def. see parties Thurs-Sat, but I know that my roommate goes out of Tuesday's, so you won't have a problem finding a party whatosoever. Greek life is big, but it isn't for everyone. But a lot of students partake in it, and there are so many to chose from.

Greek scene is huge. I'm involved with Alpha Phi Omega- a community service fraternity that has the same things as a regular fraternity/sorority, except for a house. We perform service in the communty, but we end up being each others' best friends, roommates, study partners... Studnets in the dorms do leave their dorms open. Athletic events are huge, particularly basketball. Guest speakers are common but I don't think they draw a huge crowd- unless they're extra credit opportunities. Theater is pretty big and pretty well supported on campus. Freshmen/sophomores don't seem to be involved in relationships, but as students get older, they seem to settle down a little more. I've met my closest friends from the dorm and from APO. Awake at 2 am on a Tuesday- writing a paper. Traditions: MAYFEST, Block Party, Juice Jam, Homecoming People party ALL THE TIME. Frats/sororities are huge and important, but that's not all there is to do. It honestly does help a person's social life if they so choose to become involved. Social fraterntities/sororities are not a student's only option, though. Last weekend- went to the mall, studied, went out Thursday/Friday/Saturday Saturday night- movies, usually a play or something, hang out in the dorm, go to Marshall Street Off campus: go to the mall, down to Armory Square, or head to Marshall Street

I was the photo editor at The Daily Orange for a year - and loved it. The DO is a bit of a unique student newspaper in that it is independent - it receives no funding from the school and can therefore publish whatever it wants. I have no doubt (and the wall of awards will agree with me) that the DO is in the nation's top 10 collegiate newspapers. If you're looking for a real-to-life journalism experience look no further. It's a perfect compliment/replacement for a Newhouse education. That all being said, the DO is a crazy sub-culture that will suck you away from your school work. SU Ambulance is the other activity that I'm involved in - can't tell you how much fun it can be. I joined freshman year (join things freshman year the sooner you get started the better!!!) and then found out that we had recently been declared the top collegiate ambulance in the nation. Who knew? SUA is an intense learning and working environment that can provide the perfect/break distraction from school work (besides you get to drive an ambulance!). There is always a party to be found on SU campus, if you know where to look. Most students however, keep their partying to Friday and Saturday nights - when, during good weather, it's easy enough to walk down Euclid and find any number of parties.

Basketball is huge in Syracuse. University Union brings in great comedians, shows, and concerts. I'm involved with the ASCE which is the American Society of Civil Engineers and we do a lot of community service and do tours of buildings. Many people in the dorms leave their doors open, the dorm i live in is very friendly. I met my closest friends during orientation week, Syracuse does a great job during orientation, everyone makes friends here. If i'm awake very late, I'm either doing homework or going to order food with my friends. The party scene is huge, the frat parties are a great time, and the bar scene fun. Fraternities are not that important here, not everyone does it. Last weekend i went to a concert called rock the Dome with Ludacris and Rickross. Then i went the next day to a David Guetta conert downtown. Then on Saturday i went to a Frat party. And o Sunday i watched the Superbowl at a Frat. There is a lot of concerts that are on the weekend, also the office of residence life offers other options for non drinking. If i go off campus it is to go to a concert downtown or eat downtown.

Most popular teams on campus are definitely the basketball and lacrosse team. University Union, who is responsible for the big concerts on campus is also really popular. We also have a variety of dance groups. There are a ton of organizations that students can get involved with on campus. Athletic events are the most attended on campus. Cuse is BIG on sports! The Dome is the place to be during a game. The school also prides itself on having guest speakers come to campus, and although I don't attend a lot of them, they do have them quite often. Alumni are always willing to come back and give advice to students. Since there is not a lot to do in the city of Syracuse, there are always a lot of parties going on, on campus. However, not all of these parties are worth walking in the freezing cold for. There are house parties as well as frat parties. Sororities and frats are prominent on campus. They are pretty much the social scene, but you can still party without being in one.

Frats and sororities are a huge deal on campus. A large percentage of students are involved with them. The dating scene is pretty big, the best way to pick up a girl is to find a cute girl in a large lecture and say hey. I met my closest friends through my fraternity and my floor from freshman year. There is a pretty big mall about 15 minutes away, you can spend a full night there instead of drinking. Every weekend University Union puts up a free movie that recently came out. University Union is also responsible for bringing the largest concerts and comedy shows to campus. Last year, OAR came to campus, and this year block party (the big concert at the end of the year) will be pretty big. Traditions include winter carnival, homecoming and block party... The biggest nights in campus in order (from smallest) are Monday, Wednesday, Sunday, Tuesday, Friday, Thursday, Saturday

There are a variety of different extracurricular activities here at SU. Think of an activity, and we probably have some sort of organization surrounding it. From fully student-run television stations, to the sensational SU basketball team, to comic book appreciation clubs, to intramural sports, to Greek life, there's something for everyone. And if you're not the type of person to join clubs or sports or just want a fun alternative to getting drunk, there's all kinds of university sponsored events that are run through various organizations like the Student Association or University Union. Concerts, snow tubing, dances, laser-tag- there's a lot to do in the snowy town of Syracuse. With Marshall Street just seconds from campus, there's always some late-night food place open, so you can feel free to pig-out on Jimmy Johns or Acropolis Pizza in between late night study sessions.

The most popular organization of any sort on campus is the Basketball Team. We are world renown and almost always expected to win. Another popular organization is Jerk Magazine that parodies many current events and makes fun of several aspects of Syracuse life. I am an Assembly Member of Student Association, the student government on campus. There, my job is to represent my constituents voices to provide ideas and take initiative to make changes in the campus life. Sporting events override many other events, but many major music groups and artists often come to visit SU. Theatre here in Syracuse isn't as promoted as it should be, but Syracuse Stage is a beautiful theatre that puts on AMAZING productions and invites several guests stars. Some famous alumni of the theatre department are Jerry Stiller, Vanessa Williams, Paul James, and Vera Farmiga.

Students are interested in a wide variety of activities including the Student Union Association, the Daily Orange, Orange Television Network, and sororities/fraternities. As a member of SA and a sorority, I find myself involved quite frequently on campus. However if a student isn't interested in either of those, there are several more clubs, sports, concerts and events on campus to entertain. I find that I am so busy with my classes and the activities I am involved with that I do not drink or party on the weekends because there is always something else for me to do. Through the sorority I am in, we provide concerts and philanthropic events in Syracuse. I met my closest friends through the sorority and through my classes. I live off campus, so I try to spend as much time on campus with them before I head home.