Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

The worst thing about my school is it's diversity, even though the institution has an amazing Multicultural Program it's demographics based on ethnicity and race display the lack of minorities. It is essential to learn culture from one another, I believe that my generation is becoming less exposed to culture on thier own and by the institutions in which they belong to. Syracuse overall is not rich, 55% of children living in syracuse live at or below poverty line and those kids are a majority of African Americans. Higher education must include culture knowledge.

One negative aspect of Syracuse University is that the school is located in the city. For me, being from Vermont, it has been a big change that has taught me a lot. The city of Syracuse is not very clean, exciting or safe; however, it does have the positive quality of drawing in events such as division I football and basketball as well as incredible concerts like Phish and Girl Talk. For some people, another negative aspect of the university is the weather. In Syracuse snow, rain, cold weather and occasional sun are all typical weather patterns.

I would say the worst thing is the weather. It is so unpredictable! At the beginning of the fall semester it was around 90 degrees everyday and the dorms didn't have ACs...Then we had our first snowfall right before Halloween, which seems oddly soon. After several weeks of snowfall, we experience the Indian Summer period and we're hitting the 90's again!! After that we have the coldest weather ever for 5 months straight! I love the snow, it's great fun but, try walking to your classes at 9am with snow up to your knees!

The worst thing, by far is the weather. It is cold and gloomy. The warm weather in the beginning of the year doesn't last too long. Temperatures drop and the skies get gloomier each day. Rain is very common, but during the winter months, snow is even more common. Blizzards are an everyday occurence and a good pair of snow boots is a must. The winter can last through much of the spring semester, including April and May. However, the weather is the only bad thing I can think of a Syracuse. It truly is a wonderful campus.

The worst thing about my school is that sometimes you are stuck with professors that aren't very helpful. This may happen in other colleges as well. There are those times when you are challegned in a class and struggle. I struggled so much in one of my classes. Asking for help to my biology professor was like a slap in the face. He would literary make you feel stupid and always telling us that his class is impossible. I don't let certain classes like this drop my self esteem, instead it encouarges me to work harder.

There is really not anything that is very bad about Syracuse. The classes fill up fast during registration, but at what college do they not? There is a lot of snow which can make it hard to get around sometimes, but I?m used to it. One thing that I saw at first as a negative was that the theater building is downtown away from campus. However, it is really not a bad thing because I get to have more experience in the city and get to know the city of Syracuse not just the campus of Syracuse University.

The lack of school spirit has always been an extreme annoyance to me. It may be because of my studies within the arts department, where school spirit is not very high on the list of priorities for most of those who teach there. I think there needs to be a change in focus for the school in becoming less monetarily focused, but more so about bringing people together in pride for their school; so that when they graduate their love for their school beyond simply having that school's name on one's resume.

Syracuse University is a great university, yet it has neglected the advancement of the social science departments. Physical sciences, engineering as well as gymnasiums have recieved massive funding and have obtained wonderful equipment, tools, etc., but this funding is not spread throughout other departments in need. Another concern is the large class sciences for physical science courses. Asking questions and receiving assistance in a lecture hall is nearly impossible, when it is needed the most.

The one worst aspect of Syracuse that I have found are the dining halls are not open late enough for students to eat over the weekend. The dining halls on campus close at 6:30pm on the weekends not allowing students to be able to eat at a decent time. I have also found that in some academic departments the TA's do need to be re looked at, and some are not willing to help their students. It is difficult when one is placed into a tough subject and the TA's are never available during office hours.

The worst thing about Syracuse University is the parking on campus. I am a commuter; I live about a half an hour away from campus. I have to park a few miles away from campus and take a bus in every morning. In the evenings, I am allowed to park on designated lots if theyre not full. However, on game days and weekends these lots are closed and there are not enough busses to get to campus on time. Freshmen are not even allowed to park on campus. This part of Syracuse University needs some work.